No ultrasound? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 10-02-2010, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone choosing not to have any ultrasounds (unless truly medically necessary)? Anyone waiting to find out the gender of the baby until birth? I am really thinking about not having an ultrasound to find out the sex, since its not medically necessary.
#2 of 21 Old 10-02-2010, 03:56 PM

I know people do it, and it's completely fine. Certainly women in past decades/centuries didn't have ultrasounds. But I did want to mention that the 20-week ultrasound isn't to find out the sex of your baby; it's to find any problems, some of which may need immediate attention after the birth, and some that it would just be helpful to know about.
#3 of 21 Old 10-02-2010, 04:11 PM

I'm having my 20 week one but that will be it unless nesscary.

I will also be waiting till the baby is born to find out the gender. It's a personal choice but One I really like. I loved guessing and getting to see when they were born.. 9 this wil be my third)

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#4 of 21 Old 10-02-2010, 04:25 PM

I think I'm gonna skip the ultrasound this time around unless something comes up.

One reason is that we'd have to pay extra for it, and also because I'm not feeling like it's necessary. I think it's a great tool for those who want to use it (I got two ultrasounds with my first) though.
#5 of 21 Old 10-02-2010, 05:53 PM

Some serious (i.e. fatal soon after birth if not diagnosed) heart defects are most easily detected in utero, which is why we're doing the 20 week scan. I had an early US as well because I miscarried my last pregnancy and I needed the reassurance of a heartbeat early on. We're not finding out the sex though (we didn't for our daughter either even though we has the 20 week US then too).

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#6 of 21 Old 10-02-2010, 06:16 PM

I won't be having an U/S unless my mw feels it's necessary.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#7 of 21 Old 10-03-2010, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Good thoughts. It's a little different when you go with a midwife as we are, I can relate to rocky crop and banana731. Our midwife doesn't do them, we found a nice strong heartbeat twice already, she says my measurements are normal and right on track, so my husband and I would have to go out and pay extra for an u/s basically just to find out the sex...so anyway, at first I thought we would go for it, but now I'm thinking I'd like to not have one, let my little one grow in peace and kind of anticipate that excitement of not knowing.... just curious what people's thoughts were about that.
#8 of 21 Old 10-03-2010, 12:30 PM

we're planning on doing the 20 week US to check for heart defects, all the vertebrae being closed, etc. we will also be finding out the sex. we did last time because otherwise we were having naming issues, this time I need to know if I need to plan an entire new wardrobe. I still have all DD's clothes and stuff, but it's all pink, so if we have a boy, we're going to need new clothes. I think finding out the sex is a completely personal choice. planning can be easier if you know ahead of time, but it does take away that element of surprise.

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#9 of 21 Old 10-03-2010, 12:33 PM

We didn't have any with our DD and we probably won't have any this time around. If there were any indication of anything amiss, we would certainly have one. I am sort of on the fence about an anatomy scan this time. If I feel like we should do it, we will, to check the heart, etc., but we most definitely, absolutely *do not* want to find out baby's sex.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#10 of 21 Old 10-03-2010, 12:58 PM

To me they're two separate issues also. We are most likely going to do the 20 wk anatomical scan but I don't want to know the sex of the baby. But both items are currently under discussion with DH.
#11 of 21 Old 10-03-2010, 02:43 PM

We're not doing one, and I actually wrote a thread about that too. But I do want to point out that if you're already hearing heartbeats I'm assuming you're using a doppler, and a doppler IS ultrasound. So you are using ultrasound.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#12 of 21 Old 10-03-2010, 04:19 PM

Since we had a minor mid-line defect with the first pregnancy (tongue-tie), I want to do the 20 week anatomical scan just in case there is a glaring major mid-line defect that we need to prepare for. At that time, I would love to find out the sex.

Other than that, I do not want any ultrasounds. And I asked my midwife if we could completely avoid the doppler during the first half, and keep it to a minimum during the second half. And I told her I was fine with it being used rationally during labor and birth. She seemed really happy with that, and in complete agreement.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#13 of 21 Old 10-03-2010, 05:04 PM

We won't be having any unless of course something major comes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmiriam View Post
I know people do it, and it's completely fine. Certainly women in past decades/centuries didn't have ultrasounds. But I did want to mention that the 20-week ultrasound isn't to find out the sex of your baby; it's to find any problems, some of which may need immediate attention after the birth, and some that it would just be helpful to know about.
I'm curious as to what these things are that could need immediate attention directly after birth that could be detected by ultrasound.

Julia, mama to Bumpa 2008, and The Mole 2011

#14 of 21 Old 10-03-2010, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
We're not doing one, and I actually wrote a thread about that too. But I do want to point out that if you're already hearing heartbeats I'm assuming you're using a doppler, and a doppler IS ultrasound. So you are using ultrasound.
Good point Sorry I should have been more specific, I meant the one where you can actually see the baby.
#15 of 21 Old 10-03-2010, 05:42 PM

I'm not going to get an ultrasound unless (like lots of others) there is some reason to do one.

I had two surrogate and those both required many ultrasounds (because that's how they do it, not because anything was wrong). And, having had that experience contrasted with having none when I was pregnant with DD I like not having any.

I am finding it harder to not do it this time that I did with DD- and I think it is because it was just such an expected part of my last two pregnancies.

I do listen to the baby with the doppler occasionally (less than a minute, every 2-3 weeks).

Mama to DD-9, DSS-11, happily married and living with 1dog, 1 cat, 7 chickens, and 2 ducks....expecting 03/11
#16 of 21 Old 10-03-2010, 06:27 PM

things that can be detected at the 20 week ultrasound that require surgery: certain heart and kidney problems, cleft lip/pallet, issues with lungs, liver, stomach, and intestines, and spina bifida. since we're planning a homebirth, I want to be prepared ahead of time if it looks like we're going to have to go to the NICU. most of these problems would be detected soon after the birth, but I prefer not to be surprised with that type of thing when I don't have to. even if the chances are rare, it still makes me feel better.

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#17 of 21 Old 10-04-2010, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbee View Post
Good point Sorry I should have been more specific, I meant the one where you can actually see the baby.
Yeah, I knew what you meant. I just wanted to point that out because not everyone releases that doppler is a form of ultrasound. So when people say they want to avoid ultrasound but that they are getting doppler, I get confused.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#18 of 21 Old 10-04-2010, 02:56 PM

With DD I did the anatomy scan but we chose to not find out the gender. I liked not knowing and until I got pregnant again figured I would not find out... but now I do want to know and since we plan to do the anatomy scan we will try to determine the sex.

DD was actually born with a teratoma (stem cell tumor) that we did not detect on the 20 week ultrasound - normally they would be detected but hers was much smaller then normal and I guess had not really grown much at 20 weeks. (she is now fine by the way).

I know for a fact that some unexpected things can happen so even though her tumor was not detected I still want to do the 20 week u/s to check for things.

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#19 of 21 Old 10-09-2010, 08:25 PM

I'm having the 20w one on Monday, but that's it unless I need one later on for some medical reason (possible thin uterus so there's a chance I may need one toward the end).

A friend of mine refused any u/s, birthed at home with a midwife and had twins...having no idea she was having twins. Talk about a shock! LOL!

Jenn
#20 of 21 Old 04-06-2011, 02:25 PM

i posted here by mistake.  sorry T_T

#21 of 21 Old 04-06-2011, 02:38 PM

i posted here by mistake.  sorry!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page