No Sleep till Brooklyn! (or till I pass out) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-19-2010, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't slept in a week.. I'm going nuts... I seriously fear for my children's lives at this point (kidding... more or less.)

I forgot to pay rent, I forgot to take meat out to defrost for dinner --- I even almost forgot to take the baby when I left to take the big one to the bus stop (it's just a 2 minute walk, but still NOT COOL.) I can't take this.

I called the OB and she recommended Ambien. I'm totally disgusted. When I confessed that I had a severe Ambien addiction last year and it was hell getting off it, the nurse said "you did it once, you can do it again. Better than not sleeping, right?" Ugh.

I took a melatonin pill and it worked GREAT. Awesome. Beyond awesome. Then I read the label and it said do not take if pregnant or nursing. So I asked the nurse at the OB and she asked the doc, and he said nope. They'd really rather I take Ambien! OMG.

Anyone know anything more about melatonin? Got any info I can use to change my OB's mind? I'm going to take it tonight anyway, because I can't take it anymore, I HAVE to sleep. But I'd like to know WHY the ob said no, other than just "cuz".

Mama to DS T (10/11/2004) and DD M (09/03/09) and cookin' up baby #3 due late March/early April 2010!
#2 of 15 Old 10-19-2010, 09:53 PM

Here is some info from the NIH:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...tural/940.html

It agrees with what you were told- because of the hormonal properties of melatonin pregnant women are advised against taking it. I think you will have a hard time finding out how much is safe, unfortunately.

I don't know your story or what you've tried; but I have had success both with herbs (that are pregnancy safe) and some guided meditations.

Not sleeping is really so horrible- I hope you find something that works that you feel good about soon.

Mama to DD-9, DSS-11, happily married and living with 1dog, 1 cat, 7 chickens, and 2 ducks....expecting 03/11
#3 of 15 Old 10-19-2010, 09:55 PM

I'm right there with you Mama I do get some sleep at night but it's not enough and once I'm awake for any reason it's VERY difficult to get back to sleep. Have you though about hypnosis? It's very helpful and has no side effects. Also, if you find a therapist who is an MFT or LCSW your insurance may cover it. Good luck and KUP

Elizabeth (31) & DH (31)
DS born October 15th, 2008
Our amazing HBAC DD born March 21th, 2011
#4 of 15 Old 10-19-2010, 11:39 PM

I don't have any recommendations, but I will commiserate with you. I've been tossing and turning most nights. last night was particularly bad, ended up drowsy all day today.

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#5 of 15 Old 10-19-2010, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

It's been miserable. For me, Insomnia is a vicious cycle - I can't sleep, so I get restless leg, which means I REALLY can't sleep. Spend the day worn out, which makes the restless leg WORSE, which means NO SLEEP.

If I can get 2 decent night sleep in a row, I'm totally fine for a while. (Till the next thing stresses me out till I can't sleep and starts the cycle over again)

I was really short tempered with the kids today, which makes me feel guilty. I cried after I got the big one to bed... he asked for a glass of water and I was really sharp with him, told him to get it himself. No excuse for that!!! I told him I was having trouble sleeping and that it made me cranky and I was really sorry. He said "call the doctor for a pill, Mommy!" He offered to rub my back till I fall asleep, too. He's my angel <3

Mama to DS T (10/11/2004) and DD M (09/03/09) and cookin' up baby #3 due late March/early April 2010!
#6 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 05:36 PM

So sorry, mama. I had insomnia after my first was born and it was really terrible. There were some discussions about melatonin on the general board a while back. You might try searching for it.

I ended up taking Ambien for a couple nights until I "reset." I think I would be like you, though, if I had been addicted. Other things I tried:
hot baths before bed
chamomile tea
hypnobabies sleep track (actually really good!)
arsenicum homeopathic remedy (actually more for anxiety)
calms forte (didn't really do anything for me)

I have found herbal tinctures online that are for sleep and safe for pregnant women. I wish I had bookmarked the page. I think that skullcap and valerian root might be safe during pregnancy. There is a great herbal book...I can't remember what it's called. I'll try to look around.
#7 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 05:40 PM

#8 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jay! Paycheck hits the bank at midnight tonight - I'll be ordering that tonight! (If I'm up LOL)

I passed out around 10, woke up at 1 am starving, ate a tortilla and passed out again till the alarm went off at 6. It was a good night - I still managed to pass out on the sofa for an hour while the baby was napping, but still and all, I feel a lot better today than I have in a while.

#9 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 06:32 PM

Skullcap is safe for pregnant women and it works great for me (and my DH). I took it regularly in my last pregnancy to help me sleep and bring down my blood pressure. I used the tincture (bought at my local health food store) and took anywhere from 4 drops to a dropper full in a little water before bed. Sometimes I'd put a dropper full in my water by my bed and sip at it when I woke up in the night to pee to help me fall back asleep. My midwife recommended, naturopath confirmed, and Susun Weed talks about it in Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing year to help sleep, reduce BP and nervous tension, though she likes an infusion more than a tincture. I wake up feeling rested and not groggy. I used to take melatonin sometimes before I was pregnant and nursing, but I'd feel super groggy if something woke me up before my sleep cycle was over, so I stopped taking it.
We love skullcap at our house!

Wife to great guy and mama to 2 beautiful girls S Oct 15, 2008 and Z March 22, 2011
#10 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

I'll check it out... I have to go to town tomorrow to get groceries. Hopefully I'll sleep tonight, too, without taking anything. I've been pretty busy and active today and that always helps!

My honey is out of town for a week and, this probably makes me a terrible girlfriend, but I sleep way better w/o him. I take over the whole king size bed, use all three pillows, and toot all night w/o fear. It's awesome.

#11 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 08:39 PM

I would love to hear how the herbal remedies work for you once you've tried them! I feel like I should have some around just in case. The PP insomnia was so terrible. (Although then I guess I need to figure out what's safe for nursing!!)
#12 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Nursing acts like a drug for me... if I'm nursing, I can sleep any time, any place. Hmm... I just weaned DD, I wonder if its the weaning and not the pregnancy causing the insomnia?

(More likely the huge fight DH and I had sunday night before he left for out of town for week.)

#13 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 09:51 PM

I've been sleeping horribly since DD night-weaned. I have had insomnia issues for as long as I can remember, but the 15 months where we would nurse to sleep together was some of the best sleep of my life, no insomnia. between the pregnancy insomnia and me not nursing to sleep it's been bad lately. I may have to think about some herbal remedies if it continues. I got a break from the insomnia because of having a series of colds, but this week it's been back as bad as ever.

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#14 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

I honestly don't know why I'm up. I'm eating cookies and messing around on the window-shopping thread - both are bad for me LOL.

Kids are sleeping, kitchen is clean and if I go lay down, I know I'll sleep great. Sometimes I think I'm an idiot.

#15 of 15 Old 10-21-2010, 01:47 AM

my midwife recommended motherwort when i saw her last week. and said if that that didn't help then she would make a tincture. i haven't had any problems sleeping since so i haven't bought any and can't say if it works.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page