Maternity coat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-20-2010, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Assuming you live where it's going to get cold soon, do you plan on getting a maternity coat? Or somehow make do with something else?

I really don't want to buy a maternity coat, it seems like such a waste and the ones that I have seen are not warm enough. I guess I could get a coat that's larger than my usual size, but that kind of seems like a waste too.

Baby Boy 9/08 & Baby Girl 3/11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2010, 09:35 PM

Last time I made do with what I had. My coats were bigger than I thought they were! But I was also due in June--so didn't wear them at my biggest. I'm hoping I can make do this time too because I really don't want to have to buy a coat.

Last winter in NC it was not very cold, but my grandma says the Farmer's Almanac says we're going to have a cold winter this year. Who knows.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:10 PM

I'm due in March and Jan/Feb are the coldest times in Tx - and I'm a wienie. So I'm gonna hit the thrift store and get a coat out of the men's dept that'll fit my big belly - when I'm done with it, I'll donate it to the homeless shelter. Seems like everybody wins that way.

Mama to DS T (10/11/2004) and DD M (09/03/09) and cookin' up baby #3 due late March/early April 2010!
Old 10-20-2010, 10:28 PM

maternity coats can be excellent for fastening up around a front carried baby, too. i spent all last winter with my lo in a moby or beco and my maternity coat keeping her warm.

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

Old 10-20-2010, 10:42 PM

I'm planning on wearing a large coat that I already own with a large scarf over my middle if I need it. That and probably a fleece blanket in the car should do.
Posted via Mobile Device

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

Old 10-20-2010, 10:58 PM

I'm waiting until I outgrow my normal coat before even considering spending the money on it. DD was a May baby, but I was able to wear my normal coat all winter with her. I'm also kind of waiting until I see how the winter plays out. last year I didn't really need a coat after mid-January, but some years I need a coat until April. I figure if I get desperate I can wear one of DF's hoodies over one of my hoodies or something.

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
Old 10-20-2010, 11:05 PM

My old coat doesn't work for me and I already needed one up here. I bought the Old Navy one. I like it and it's super comfy and relatively inexpensive. It's not as warm as down but since I am like a furnace, that'll probably be ok. I got a medium and there's plenty of room to grow but I'm not swimming in. I'm on the tall side and was a small/medium before this pregnancy. Old Navy always has sales & specials if you get on their list so I had a discount on the price.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:06 PM

I bought a new pea coat while 6 mos pgs with my second. I got one with a belt and made sure the arms were the right length. I looked liek a funny little bell, but it fits right now too. When I got about 9 mos, I couldn't get any of the buttons over my belly done, but the belt helped keep the bottom closed.

Unless you're prone to get huge or are going to be like 6-7-8 mos over the whole winter, I wouldn't worry.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:41 PM

I have an old wool swing coat from high school or college that looks a lot like this:

http://www.ballyhoovintage.com/16/16211.html

It has accommodated me at every weight and when I visited family in the midwest in pregnancy, and with the baby in a Bjorn under the coat at Christmas.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:29 AM

i got one off of craigslist.. i'm not a cold lover and in a new wetter climate i need to be warm

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
Old 10-21-2010, 01:21 AM

That's me with DS (2 months) in 2007 in my swing coat.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87756949@N00/2233989722
Old 10-21-2010, 02:28 AM

oh, and here i was about to try to sell or give away an over big peacoat that has been taking up space! i'm glad i saw this thread to remind me that i'll need it even if for just one winter

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
Old 10-21-2010, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyss View Post
That's me with DS (2 months) in 2007 in my swing coat.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87756949@N00/2233989722
so cute!

Old 10-21-2010, 10:15 AM

DDCC (Well, my EDD is somewhere between March 29 and April 1).

We live north where it is winter for 4-6 months of the year - I'm in winter garb from November to April - and our city is one of the most humid in the country which makes for bone chilling cold (in January/February, it's not unusual for it to be -30 to -40 celsius, which is around -22 to -40 fahrenheiht). A winter coat is pretty much a necessity, so I definitely bought one as I'll be my biggest in the coldest months of the year.

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:33 AM

With DD who was born end of May I managed with my own coat - barely... I think my the end all the buttons were loose and I had sew them back on later.

This year with the babe being due in March that mean from about now through the due date there is potential for needing a winter coat (last year our first snow was early Oct.). So I am pretty sure I will not fit in mine and that should happen during the really cold parts of winter.

I plan to try on one of DHs coats and if I don't think that will work I found a used maternity store that I plan to visit soon and see what I can fine.

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:59 PM

I'm really not looking forward to it, especially since the maternity coats I'm seeing in stores are expensive. I figure I'll try and make due with a warm sweater I have that will fit my bit belly and an unzipped jacket and scarf, and see how that goes. If I feel like I do need one, I'm hoping the winter stuff will have gone on sale already.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:03 PM

I've been trying to figure out what to do, too. My thoughts are:
  • use one of DH's coats
  • buy a babywearing coat that also works for pregnancy, like Suse's Kindercoat

Suse's Kindercoat looks amazing for front and back carries, and for pregnancy. I'm really tempted.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

Old 10-21-2010, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I am thinking I could make do with my husband's coat. He rarely wears it, anyway. I on the other hand DO always wear my coat. It won't be super cute or anything but it will be warm!

Baby Boy 9/08 & Baby Girl 3/11

Old 10-22-2010, 02:58 AM

My MIL found me a men's down 3/4 length coat at a thrift store for $10. I wore it the whole winter with DD in the moby wrap (she was born in Oct). I loved not having to bundle her at all that winter. We never even used the 0-3 month snowsuit we were given. Here's a pic of us in it. http://skitch.com/catherinedinim/dhike/iphoto
I'm going to use that....I hate being cold!
But it won't work for the rain and it rains here a lot in the winter. I was thinking about sewing a simple panel with zips down each side that I could zip into my gortex raincoat. There's a store close to here that sells outdoor fabrics and I wouldn't need too much. Anyone tried that?

Wife to great guy and mama to 2 beautiful girls S Oct 15, 2008 and Z March 22, 2011
Old 10-22-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caterina View Post
My MIL found me a men's down 3/4 length coat at a thrift store for $10. I wore it the whole winter with DD in the moby wrap (she was born in Oct). I loved not having to bundle her at all that winter. We never even used the 0-3 month snowsuit we were given. Here's a pic of us in it. http://skitch.com/catherinedinim/dhike/iphoto
I'm going to use that....I hate being cold!
But it won't work for the rain and it rains here a lot in the winter. I was thinking about sewing a simple panel with zips down each side that I could zip into my gortex raincoat. There's a store close to here that sells outdoor fabrics and I wouldn't need too much. Anyone tried that?
dunno, but what a cute pic!!

Old 10-29-2010, 04:29 PM

I got a wool one off of ebay but I am pretty sure it is not really going to work all that well. It is really open at the bottom and I am in Alaska and need a REAL coat. I am probably going to look at the puffy ones they have at old navy.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:16 PM

Just popping in from Feb but Old Navy is having a sale starting today on outerwear, and there were some maternity coats that looked cheap enough.
I live in Mass and definately need something warm, I have an ON one from a few years ago, a wool coat, totally unflattering but basic enough and warm enough.
I second ebay as well!

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
Old 10-29-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnegansmom View Post
Just popping in from Feb but Old Navy is having a sale starting today on outerwear, and there were some maternity coats that looked cheap enough.
I live in Mass and definately need something warm, I have an ON one from a few years ago, a wool coat, totally unflattering but basic enough and warm enough.
I second ebay as well!
I got the Old Navy email today... something about up to 50% off maternity outerwear...

Michelle, Happily married to first crush 4/2005, SAHM to DD 7/2006 , DS 8/2008 ,angel1.gif 4/2010, DD 3/2011, expecting DS 8/2013. 

Old 10-29-2010, 09:19 PM

Thanks, I just checked out the Old Navy sale and ordered and grey puffy coat. $29 I can swing for a maternity coat.

User Tag List