Tell Me about Your Braxton-Hicks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 11-23-2010, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

There has been so much time between my pregnancies, that I've sort of forgotten what a lot of pregnancy feels like.  Including BH contractions.

I know that some women experience them differently.  I'm not sure if what I've been feeling are BH or not.  I'm going to bring it up at  my next appt with my midwife (if I don't forget), but I'd like your input as well.

Tell me what yours feel like for you. 

Aleyna - Mom to 6 yo DS1 wild.gifRascal and DS2 Tiny born 03/24/11
#2 of 22 Old 11-23-2010, 11:47 AM

right now it's my belly getting all hard and round and if I move too suddenly there's a pulling feeling (ouch!). I remember with DD they did start to get painful later on, kind of like period cramps, but not exactly. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#3 of 22 Old 11-23-2010, 12:30 PM

Pretty much the same with me.  I've been having them for awhile now (seems like they started really early this time), it's just like a hard tightening.  Sometimes it feels like all my internal organs are getting tight along with the uterus and it's kind of uncomfortable for a bit.  They don't hurt yet though!

#4 of 22 Old 11-23-2010, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

I've been getting a tightening sometimes in my belly.  But it almost feels sometimes that if I take a deep breath during those times, my stomach would split open.  Is that a BH?  If so, I certainly never had them this way or this strong with my DS.

Aleyna - Mom to 6 yo DS1 wild.gifRascal and DS2 Tiny born 03/24/11
#5 of 22 Old 11-23-2010, 06:27 PM

i'd say you are likley having them

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#6 of 22 Old 11-23-2010, 08:51 PM

I'd say you are likely having them too. I think mine were more pronounced with my second pregnancy. In my experience, they start kind of subtle where you wonder am I having one? or what was that anyway? It's a tightening but faster and/or more subtle. Then they start to get stronger. I think for me they start to get stronger around the beginning of the last trimester, then notably so around the last month.  But I think I am more contraction-y then some people. Last time I was a bit worried about premature labor and they put me on some monitor I think it was early in the last trimester and they couldn't believe how strong they were, and I got put on bedrest by the midwives!  But in retrospect, I think that's just how I am and if that happens this time I think I will keep it to myself because I really don't want to be on bedrest and don't think it made a difference to the contractions. I was worried because my water broke at 35 weeks with number one and someone told me it might have been from a BH contraction. But I've since been told it's likely impossible that's what it was. 

#7 of 22 Old 11-23-2010, 10:57 PM

I've been having the tightening feeling in the evenings for the last week or so, but I haven't thought that would be considered BH.... I thought it was much too early for them.  I had them a lot in the last 2 months of my pregnancy with DD, but definitely don't remember them this early. Hmmm... 

Wife to great guy and mama to 2 beautiful girls S Oct 15, 2008 and Z March 22, 2011
#8 of 22 Old 11-24-2010, 10:06 AM

mine feel different than i remember with my first. with my first, it just felt like my stomach was getting rock hard but not much pain. this time around, when i get them, my uterus gets hard and i kind feel alittle short of breath and i get this weird cramping sensation down low. it isn't as bad as regular contractions, but probably 30% of that pain and discomfort. i've been getting BH daily for weeks now. no fun..

mommy to "mine" (7), "his" (5), and preggers with "ours" due march 2011!!! 

heartbeat.gifIts a GIRL!!!!
#9 of 22 Old 11-24-2010, 12:24 PM

I haven't been getting them as frequently this time...I think because I'm not nursing this time. I will get them after sex or after going to the bathroom...just a tightening of my uterus for a little bit. It's not uncomfortable for me...just really defines the shape of my uterus and feels very hard to the touch.

Rachel, wife to my beloved DH Rick; mama to my 5-year-old daughter, Kyrie, 3-year-old son, Antonio, and daughter Epiphany, born 3-27-11!
#10 of 22 Old 11-24-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbyfar7 View Post

mine feel different than i remember with my first. with my first, it just felt like my stomach was getting rock hard but not much pain. this time around, when i get them, my uterus gets hard and i kind feel alittle short of breath and i get this weird cramping sensation down low. it isn't as bad as regular contractions, but probably 30% of that pain and discomfort. i've been getting BH daily for weeks now. no fun..

That's how mine feel, too.  They get steadily stronger.  It's hard for me to tell when actual labor starts at the end.

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#11 of 22 Old 11-25-2010, 07:20 PM

Right now they are felt all down low and my uterus visibly contracts sometimes in a very odd shape.

Our GREAT #8 due September 2012! joy.gif
#12 of 22 Old 11-26-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO_Bookwyrm View Post

I've been getting a tightening sometimes in my belly.  But it almost feels sometimes that if I take a deep breath during those times, my stomach would split open.  Is that a BH?  If so, I certainly never had them this way or this strong with my DS.

Yes, that sounds like BH to me.  As others have said, I never had them during my first pregnancy, but then had them quite a lot with my second. (And now they seem to have started earlier with my third)

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

#13 of 22 Old 12-05-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbyfar7 View Post

Mine are similar to what you're describing, but my BH only hurt sometimes.Lots of uterine tightening, sometimes down low, sometimes all over. And sometimes painful. And they start earlier with every pregnancy, for me. 

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
#14 of 22 Old 12-06-2010, 07:29 AM

How many are you guys having in a day?  I was having 10-12 a day and my midwives gave me iv fluids and monitored me for a couple of hours.  They put me on modified bed rest through tomorrow.  I have an appointment tomorrow to reevaluate if I need to be on a work rest for the rest of pregnancy (I'm a teacher and on my feet for 8-9 hours a day teaching 7 year olds).  They went down to 4-6 a day since being on modified bed rest.  Just wanted to see what you guys are having.  I didn't have any with my first pregnancy.

SAHM to my DS born 12/5/07, DD born 3/21/11

#15 of 22 Old 12-06-2010, 09:14 AM

hmmmm... I'm not sure. I have been noticing them a lot more in the last couple weeks, but only if I'm really paying attention because they never hurt. But I have them pretty frequently when I'm on my feet. I hope you don't have to stay on bedrest!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#16 of 22 Old 12-06-2010, 09:47 AM

I've been having them for a couple weeks so far. They don't hurt but the pressure is noticeable for sure.

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif
#17 of 22 Old 12-06-2010, 04:45 PM

I've been getting them on and off. The other day I had them pretty much all afternoon, and they increased when I was walking. I try to drink even more if I notice them just in case it's related to that.

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water
#18 of 22 Old 12-07-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilamonster View Post

How many are you guys having in a day?  I was having 10-12 a day and my midwives gave me iv fluids and monitored me for a couple of hours.  They put me on modified bed rest through tomorrow.  I have an appointment tomorrow to reevaluate if I need to be on a work rest for the rest of pregnancy (I'm a teacher and on my feet for 8-9 hours a day teaching 7 year olds).  They went down to 4-6 a day since being on modified bed rest.  Just wanted to see what you guys are having.  I didn't have any with my first pregnancy.

I notice that I'll get a lot more if I'm on my feet a lot.  Can you sit, even on a stool maybe, instead of standing?  

Mine have gotten much noticeably stronger the last few days, to the point where I almost started wondering if I should call someone.  But there is no hospital nearby, so I would have to go almost an hour to be evaluated.  I tend to get a lot of B-H anyway, and always go late.  But being twins, I worry about everything!

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#19 of 22 Old 12-10-2010, 09:00 AM

I've been getting them a bit more often lately. I'll get them often if I'm walking briskly or if I go up the stairs quickly. Probably still only like 3-5 a day.

Rachel, wife to my beloved DH Rick; mama to my 5-year-old daughter, Kyrie, 3-year-old son, Antonio, and daughter Epiphany, born 3-27-11!
#20 of 22 Old 12-10-2010, 06:20 PM

I’ve been super busy at work lately, and stressed out the past two days, and I noticed a marked increase in contractions today, which worries me a little. But I also know that when I get busy, I tend to ignore how much water I am drinking, so I got home and chugged a huge glass of water and now I plan to take an Epsom salt bath. I’m sure it is just irritable uterus, because with my last pregnancy I got contractions like crazy but they never gave me any cervical changes. Still, with my history, I just want to be careful and force myself to relax and listen to my body. 

#21 of 22 Old 12-10-2010, 06:51 PM

I am 27 weeks now and starting to get a lot more.  I get them all day long, on and off. I don't think I could even keep track, but this is how I was in my other pregnancies too. Some of them are uncomfortable. About a week ago, I had one that was really painful and lasted several minutes and I felt I couldn't move. I'll mention it to my MW at my next appt. but nothing else like that has happened since. Sometimes my abdomen takes on an odd shape as my uterus "clamps down" around the baby, and then I can tell exactly where she's hanging out.  Does anyone else have them like this? I don't want to be too paranoid about preterm labor. Last time I got put on bedrest it was really more like house arrest but they kept doing the fetal fibronectin test and I kept passing. 

#22 of 22 Old 12-27-2010, 09:09 PM

I was getting them about 3 or 4 times a day, asked the doc and he said I'm not having nearly enough water each day.  So am trying to drink a bunch more and the BH have gone WAY down.  So great to figure out that's what it was for me!  Now down to about 1 or 2 a day, not so bad :)

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page