Who's crafty? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-23-2010, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

And are you working on anything related to baby?

Right now I'm knitting soakers.  I've finished cutting out diapers from some fabric I got when my toddler was an infant.  Now I just have to get more elastic to sew those up.  The cutting is the hard part, so hopefully the sewing will go quickly.  We've worn out most of my stock of diapers over the years.

I picked up this book, http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Nursery-Knits-Handknit-Projects/dp/0312592973 with a gift card I got for my birthday and can't wait to try a few more of the projects.  I made an adorable little rattle for my new niece/nephew due next month.

Our big project is a new cosleeper, based off this design: http://www.babybunk.com/  Ours will be large enough for a standard crib mattress.  The overall dimensions will be just narrower than the crib mattress, so that when it is attached to our bed frame, it will snug right up with no gap.  We've previously used our crib without one side rail attached (it was designed to be used this way as a toddler bed).  But we've always had an issue with the gap, and the crib is just not so sturdy anymore after 4 babies.  Dh is planning to cut the sides while at his mom's for Thanksgiving on Thursday.  I'm excited to get it done, as I can't picture cosleeping with twins in our queen alone!

ETA: The soaker pattern I'm using: http://www.curlypurly.com/curlypurly.com/Free_Pattern_Downloads.html  I'm using ribbed leg cuffs.

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2010, 11:42 AM

I'm not crafty in a kitting sort of way, but I am a major DIY-er and am decent at sewing.  And omg- THANK YOU for that link!!! I was planning on building a co-sleeper, because there aren't any out there that are exactly what I want.  But it's nice to have a picture (besides the one in my head) to go off of.  And I love the idea of using it as a toddler bench too!  How cool.

I'd love to learn how to make a mattress as well, because we can't afford an organic one and I don't want to put the new babe on a chemical-filled one.  Plus, I'll need to make the co-sleeper pretty small to fit nicely in our room, so I'm sure a mattress will be hard to find in the perfect size.

I did make a mei tai when I was pregnant with DD, but it's still in great shape so I'll be using that for the new babe too.  I don't really have any other crafty plans so far... just trying to work on house remodeling so that we'll have a new bedroom to sleep in when the babe arrives!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:49 AM

I'm finally finishing knitting my knitting bag, I'm working on the second handle. this has been my first real project, and I've been working on it since February, but should have it finished in the next week or two at the most. after that I want to start knitting a few soakers. I have some really pretty green wool left over from the bag that should be enough for at least a couple of soakers. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
Old 11-23-2010, 01:12 PM

I'm crafty in spurts.  But my love is cross stitch.  I'm still trying to decide if I want to decorate this LO's clothing with any stitching or not.  I can also knit a scarf...sort of. ;)

Aleyna - Mom to 6 yo DS1 wild.gifRascal and DS2 Tiny born 03/24/11
Old 11-23-2010, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post

I'm not crafty in a kitting sort of way, but I am a major DIY-er and am decent at sewing.  And omg- THANK YOU for that link!!! I was planning on building a co-sleeper, because there aren't any out there that are exactly what I want.  But it's nice to have a picture (besides the one in my head) to go off of.  And I love the idea of using it as a toddler bench too!  How cool.

I'd love to learn how to make a mattress as well, because we can't afford an organic one and I don't want to put the new babe on a chemical-filled one.  Plus, I'll need to make the co-sleeper pretty small to fit nicely in our room, so I'm sure a mattress will be hard to find in the perfect size.

I did make a mei tai when I was pregnant with DD, but it's still in great shape so I'll be using that for the new babe too.  I don't really have any other crafty plans so far... just trying to work on house remodeling so that we'll have a new bedroom to sleep in when the babe arrives!

Yeah, we've been doing a lot of remodeling, too, but it's a slow work in progress!  Not fun.  You're so welcome for the link.  I made a mattress to fit the cradle my f-i-l made for our first baby.  We'd bought a cradle mattress for it, but it never fit right, so last pregnancy I got some foam and cut it to fit.  I then took a waterproof crib mattress pad and used it to sew a cover for the foam.  I put a zipper in it so it could be removed for washing.  Then I sewed a flannel sheet to fit it by laying the fabric over it, pinning where the corners went and sewing straight down the seams, then added elastic around the top and bottom ends.  Most of it I just sort of made up as I went along, and it came out great.  Of course, my baby was one you couldn't ever lay down, so then she didn't hardly use it!  Kids...

Latex foam is considered natural, but I don't know how chemical free it might be.  I just wrapped my foam in plastic, like they recommend in New Zealand.  It helped it slide into the cover better.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissamom View Post

I'm finally finishing knitting my knitting bag, I'm working on the second handle. this has been my first real project, and I've been working on it since February, but should have it finished in the next week or two at the most. after that I want to start knitting a few soakers. I have some really pretty green wool left over from the bag that should be enough for at least a couple of soakers. 

I started knitting bags this last year.  I found a lot of CUTE purse/bag patterns free online.  I ended up knitting a new purse for myself, a knitting bag for taking projects with me and a new purse for my sister for Christmas.  We should share some pics. :)

Old 11-23-2010, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO_Bookwyrm View Post

I'm crafty in spurts.  But my love is cross stitch.  I'm still trying to decide if I want to decorate this LO's clothing with any stitching or not.  I can also knit a scarf...sort of. ;)

I bet you could do some really cute bibs! 

Old 11-23-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylilmonkeys View Post

Quote:

I started knitting bags this last year.  I found a lot of CUTE purse/bag patterns free online.  I ended up knitting a new purse for myself, a knitting bag for taking projects with me and a new purse for my sister for Christmas.  We should share some pics. :)

The bag I'm almost done with will be to take future projects with me in. It's going to be felted, so it took a lot longer to knit than if I was just knitting a bag the right size. plus I have a  high maintenance toddler and was working full time most of the time I haven't had as much time for working on it as I would like. I'm really hoping future projects will go a lot faster. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
Old 11-23-2010, 06:00 PM

I am crafting hard and heavy for Christmas presents for family right now. The unborn have to wait!

I don't think knitting soakers is going to be a priority for me, since I have my cd stash from the last LO. I was very big on buying/making gender neutral stuff when it came to diapers.

I do plan on making a baby hammock though! 

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

Old 11-23-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana731 View Post

I am crafting hard and heavy for Christmas presents for family right now. The unborn have to wait!

I don't think knitting soakers is going to be a priority for me, since I have my cd stash from the last LO. I was very big on buying/making gender neutral stuff when it came to diapers.

I do plan on making a baby hammock though! 

knitting soakers is priority for me because we didn't start CD until DD was 9 months, so my NB stash is so far one PUL cover that I got second hand. and the size M stuff I have is mostly Pink because we weren't planning on having another so soon, and I couldn't resist the pink. and while I would put a girl in "boy colors" I won't put a boy in pink, especially pink with ruffles on the butt. 

Old 11-24-2010, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

I finished up my Christmas gifts for long distance family, so I'm taking a break to work on baby stuff.  I plan to do a gift each for my kiddos, probably starting next week.  I have three soakers done, now.  I had been given a lot of old-school vinyl covers in the newborn size, but they never worked terribly well and are terribly worn out now.  I can't wait to put my babies in my cute little soakers!  :)

Banana - Do you have plans for the baby hammock?  It's a neat concept.  My mom was raised a missionary kid in the Mexican jungles, so they spent lots of time in hammocks, and we have an out side one.  I'd thought about hanging one inside, but didn't really know how to go about that.

Marissamom - I agree, pink with ruffles is not terribly suitable for boys. LOL

Old 11-24-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:

I won't put a boy in pink, especially pink with ruffles on the butt. 

I so would  redface.gif, without a second thought at home...jammies too. If it's a boy I am so going to give him him a complex, aren't I?

Quote:

Banana - Do you have plans for the baby hammock?  It's a neat concept.  My mom was raised a missionary kid in the Mexican jungles, so they spent lots of time in hammocks, and we have an out side one.  I'd thought about hanging one inside, but didn't really know how to go about that.

I found a couple of online tuts, but I don't 100% like any of them, so I plan to take what I like from them and change  the parts I don't. There was a specific kind for sale that I liked, so I want to kind of go for that look. It's less complicated than it seems after looking at a few different instructions, and as long as you are hanging it from a beam ( i don't know what the proper term is, joist?) with a spring that can hold enough weight, it's secure enough. I can send you the links if you like.

Recycled felted wool sweaters sew up quick and cute into shorties or longies too, for anyone who is unable to get as many soakers knitted as they would like.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

Old 11-24-2010, 09:21 PM

I had a June 09 baby and made a ton of stuff for her. This new girl will just reuse all those things! I still have a ton of embellished burp cloths, adorable dresses, babylegs, appliqued onesies, etc. The one thing I didn't get around to doing was making a quilt out of a jelly roll I got, but I can get that done after the holidays. 

I've been focusing more on building up my etsy shop with needle felted fairies and wool batts for spinning or felting so I can have some $$ to fund life with 2 kids!

Since they're both girls I do have these fantasies of designing entire seasonal clothing lines for them in matchy-matchy, at least until they're old enough to riot. And the doll clothes! Not to say I wouldn't be making dolls or doll clothes if I had boys, but my ODD is totally into dolls and I am just drooling over making them matching outfits. Yes, I am totally out of control, and I know it!

Mama to 2 little darling squooshy faces
Old 11-25-2010, 09:10 AM

I love to knit, and I'm currently knitting an Aran-style baby blanket.  But I feel like it will never be done.  ;)

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
Old 11-25-2010, 10:34 AM

I have made a crib skirt already and have plans to make crib sheets, changing pad covers, and trim to add to store bought drapes. I'll share photos when it's all done! 

My dad has been knitting for the babe, mom has been sewing dresses. I hope to make some clothes/sleepers before baby comes, too.

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

Old 11-25-2010, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Banana - definitely post the link!

Pearl - that sounds fantastic!  Are we allowed to post links to our own shops here?  I'd love to see what you've got!

Neuromancer - I don't know why, but I always feel like it takes me forever to knit a blanket compared to crocheting one.  I think it's the long rows of loops on the needle.  My M-I-L always knits a blanket for each new baby, so I don't have plans to do one this time, but that book I bought has such cute patterns I may end up doing one anyway.  It's an openwork pattern, which might make it quicker.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Virginia - How cool that your dad knits!  My dad does some exquisite wood work--turning, carving, toys.  I can't wait to see what he comes up with for these kiddos.  It sounds like you've got one adored little baby before she even arrives.  Can't wait to see pics!

Old 11-25-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:

I won't put a boy in pink, especially pink with ruffles on the butt. 

My DS is 6 and this year his favorite color has been pink.  I keep looking for a shirt for him, but can't find anything in pink that's not ruffly (and he doesn't want ruffles).

Aleyna - Mom to 6 yo DS1 wild.gifRascal and DS2 Tiny born 03/24/11
Old 11-25-2010, 11:45 AM

Wow, I envy those of you making useful things like soakers and cosleepers! I'm "crafty" but not in the sense of being able to follow patterns or tutorials at all, so I don't trust myself to make anything that needs to fit correctly or be sturdy :p    I'm sticking to making fun extras like felt name and color books, blankets, and dolls....after Christmas presents are made :D

Old 11-25-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:

Neuromancer - I don't know why, but I always feel like it takes me forever to knit a blanket compared to crocheting one.  I think it's the long rows of loops on the needle.  My M-I-L always knits a blanket for each new baby, so I don't have plans to do one this time, but that book I bought has such cute patterns I may end up doing one anyway.  It's an openwork pattern, which might make it quicker.

Yes, I often wish I knew how to crochet, but I'm also really excited about how this blanket looks so far.  I bet an openwork pattern would be super cute and faster.  The pattern I'm using is this one.

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
Old 11-25-2010, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Crochet is way faster for me than knitting, as well. I've got a sweater and a (knit!) blanket in progress right now for baby. I plan to make some soakers and socks, but I'm buried in WIPs currently.

I'd love to learn to sew better and make some diaps. We have plans to KoolAid tie-dye some prefolds with the kids when it gets closer to babytime.

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif
Old 11-26-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamilie View Post

Wow, I envy those of you making useful things like soakers and cosleepers! I'm "crafty" but not in the sense of being able to follow patterns or tutorials at all, so I don't trust myself to make anything that needs to fit correctly or be sturdy :p    I'm sticking to making fun extras like felt name and color books, blankets, and dolls....after Christmas presents are made :D

Don't sell yourself short! Sewing is sewing, if you can make a doll, you can make a sling. Go for it!

Old 11-26-2010, 06:27 PM

I've done a maternity sweater for me, 3 pairs of longies, 3 hats, and 4 soakers.  Starting soaker #5 soon.  I'm also planning on doing a soaker/skirty or a pair of pants or bloomers with a skirty, but I'm just not sure yet.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Quote:

Yes, I often wish I knew how to crochet, but I'm also really excited about how this blanket looks so far.  I bet an openwork pattern would be super cute and faster.  The pattern I'm using is this one.

That's a gorgeous pattern!  I can see why it would take forever. 

Old 11-30-2010, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanyMama View Post

We have plans to KoolAid tie-dye some prefolds with the kids when it gets closer to babytime.

That'll be a fun project!

Old 11-30-2010, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousli View Post

I've done a maternity sweater for me, 3 pairs of longies, 3 hats, and 4 soakers.  Starting soaker #5 soon.  I'm also planning on doing a soaker/skirty or a pair of pants or bloomers with a skirty, but I'm just not sure yet.

I found a really cute soaker/skirty pattern on ravelry.  But I think I'll wait until I'm doing bigger sizes.  I've got several more essential things I need to do to have enough for twins before working on extra stuff.  I've got 6 nb soakers done now, and am working on some sleep sacks for a change.  I think I'll need at least another 6 nb, and then I need to pull out my covers to figure out what I'll need for larger sizes.  My larger covers are not in such rough shape, but I do prefer soakers in general.  I also need to get a large ball of crochet cotton so I can do up a second christening gown, since I only have one.  

Old 11-30-2010, 07:57 PM

MLM- yeah, if I were having twins my holdiay "crafting" would consist of a mass christmas letter telling my friends and family that I had no time for presents this year, because I'm having twins and I need to make diapers! I would be making diapers like nobody's business...

My sewing machine is in the shop. faint.gifThey had to order parts! This is crisis of epic proportion for a procraftinator.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

"Procraftinator" - Hilarious!!! ROFL

Much sympathy on the state of your machine.  I hope the parts come in quickly!  

Old 12-15-2010, 03:23 PM

I sew.  I learned how to knit, and abruptly learned that I'm WAY too impatient.  Sheepish.gif Though, I still try from time to time.  ROTFLMAO.gif

Christian, homeschooling, military wife.  luxlove.gif

Mommy to 5 wonderful girls and a super baby boy.  

Expecting another sweet energy.gif late August. 

Old 12-16-2010, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonmom View Post

I sew.  I learned how to knit, and abruptly learned that I'm WAY too impatient.  Sheepish.gif Though, I still try from time to time.  ROTFLMAO.gif

I hear ya.  My solution: knit faster. LOL  I like knitting baby things cause they usually don't take too long, unless you're adventurous and attempt a blanket. 

User Tag List