baby shower - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 01-11-2011, 05:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

www.babyshower101.com

Wealth of information, tips, etiquette, etc.  This is where I got all my ideas for baby shower games - and from that list, my hostess picked some out.  Most likely, I'll get to open up the gifts privately, unless people insist, and I hate to disappoint my fans.  lol  :-D

Lady Zbyrd + DH = Alistair McKenzie
#32 of 38 Old 01-11-2011, 05:33 AM

We decided we're not doing any games.  We're having fondue (and finger foods for the kids).  It's co-ed AND kids are invited (about 30 people in all, 25 of them adults).  I'm going to make tissue paper pompoms to decorate and we're going to have a station set up where people can help make an alphabet book by drawing pictures on sheets pre-labeled with alphabet letters.  Gifts are optional, and we're going to open them as people arrive and display them on a table so that people who want to look at them can, but there will be no organized "gift opening" with everyone sitting in a circle watching us.  My friend is throwing it for me, but I kind of feel like I should help her out (she's almost as pregnant as I am and has a 2 1/2 year old!), so I'm doing what I can to be a behind-the-scenes helper.

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#33 of 38 Old 01-11-2011, 08:12 AM

Fondue!  That will be so fun!  I like your idea for the gift-wrapping!

On the same topic - if a baby shower is being thrown for you - is anyone giving a gift to the hostess for a thank you?  I'm probably going to do a gift card to one restaurant,or split the amount I decide on and make it two of their favorite restaurants.

#34 of 38 Old 01-11-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyzbyrd View Post

Fondue!  That will be so fun!  I like your idea for the gift-wrapping!

On the same topic - if a baby shower is being thrown for you - is anyone giving a gift to the hostess for a thank you?  I'm probably going to do a gift card to one restaurant,or split the amount I decide on and make it two of their favorite restaurants.

I think since the person throwing the shower for me is pregnant with her second (and wouldn't let me throw her a shower in return), I will take her some cute "boy" clothes (her first was a girl) and give them to her at my shower.  I do think even if she weren't pregnant, I'd give her a thank you gift, and I think a gift card to a restaurant is a nice idea.

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#35 of 38 Old 01-23-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia884 View Post

I have helped host a really (if I say so) great baby shower- co-ed, good food, no stupid games, a celebration of the family, and lots of gifts. Isn't that the best? I would hope for the same.

I sort of stumbled upon the fact that 4 friends of mine are throwing me a surprise shower. DH is in on it... and he doesn't know that I know! I'm coming clean to you all! I'm dreading it, because I don't like being the center of attention, and all my friends and co-workers (with the exception of maybe 2) are totally mainstream. I just keep telling myself to focus on the baby, smile and nod, and enjoy the day as a celebration of motherhood. I have until January to keep my mouth shut about this secret... it is nice to know the real reason why people are asking me weird questions! Sheepish.gif

Had my surprise shower yesterday. Lots of friends/co-workers, food, and presents. They brought me in, I greeted everyone for about 20 minutes, they opened the food line, and then I opened gifts for almost 2 hours. People said goodbye and left. I was exhausted afterwards!!! But it was a nice time with a lot of women in my life and we got a TON of stuff. When I got tired of answering the same questions over and over I just started asking people about when they were pregnant and most were happy to talk all about their first child. Nice distraction tactic! 

kaPOW! likes this.

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

#36 of 38 Old 01-25-2011, 07:01 AM

I had my baby shower yesterday - the biggest thing I have received so far is a Graco Play Pen!  OMG, and it's one of the good ones!  Bassinet attachment, diaper changing station (with support on all 4 sides!), a mobile that plays music, and an organizer to attach to the side for baby wipes and diapers!!!  Loads of diapers, got some baby wipes, so much more, and fun games - if anyone wants to friend me on facebook - just find me by my e-mail - I have my baby shower pics posted!

e_dierlam@yahoo.com

If anyone is not on facebook and still wants to see, just holler at me, and I'll upload to photobucket and post the link.  :-)

#37 of 38 Old 01-30-2011, 06:46 PM

Sooooo.... After a few weeks of pondering this Babyshower thing I came up with the perfect balance to please my earthy-creative side and everyones else's expectations of what a baby shower should be...I WAS dreading having a babyshower but now im super stoked about it! 

My mother and I are throwing a Onesie Decorating party. Using fabric markers, paint and stencils, each guest can create something special on an organic Onesie for the new baby. Following along with the deocrating theme guests will also get to write a special message on a label that they will stick onto a glass baby food jar soy candle, which i will take with me to the birthing center.  I also hired a Henna artist to come to the party and adorn my belly with a special design and offer henna to guests. No games or prizes but guests will each get a party favor consisting of a glass baby food jar soy candle of their own, a glass baby food jar filled with a homemade brown sugar scrub and a soap bar shaped like a onesie. (all very cheap, fun and easy to make believe it or not!) We are topping it off with healthy organic finger foods, drinks and a cake shaped like a onesie! 

I believe in AP & living life with the awareness that we are all here creating our own reality which is shaped by our attitudes and beliefs.
Life CAN be magical.We just have to create it that way.
dust.gif

goorganic.jpggd.gifnovaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFbfinfant.gif
#38 of 38 Old 03-04-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaRaiMelting View Post

Sooooo.... After a few weeks of pondering this Babyshower thing I came up with the perfect balance to please my earthy-creative side and everyones else's expectations of what a baby shower should be...I WAS dreading having a babyshower but now im super stoked about it! 

My mother and I are throwing a Onesie Decorating party. Using fabric markers, paint and stencils, each guest can create something special on an organic Onesie for the new baby. Following along with the deocrating theme guests will also get to write a special message on a label that they will stick onto a glass baby food jar soy candle, which i will take with me to the birthing center.  I also hired a Henna artist to come to the party and adorn my belly with a special design and offer henna to guests. No games or prizes but guests will each get a party favor consisting of a glass baby food jar soy candle of their own, a glass baby food jar filled with a homemade brown sugar scrub and a soap bar shaped like a onesie. (all very cheap, fun and easy to make believe it or not!) We are topping it off with healthy organic finger foods, drinks and a cake shaped like a onesie! 

Wow, that sounds sooo great! I'm also dreading a baby shower; I am going to keep your ideas in mind for when my turn comes around. :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page