So here is what I am pondering these days - Induction preferences... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-09-2010, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I am only pondering this on a purely theoretical basis cause last pregnancy I did not think of it at all... and was induced.

I had PROM and after 14 hours with no signs of anything going was started on pit.  I was barely 1 cm dialated at the time and the mw (I was using a mw clinic that is located at and delivers at a hospital) pondered doing Cervadil instead but decided on pit.  I am honestly not really sure why. I had no preference cause I had not really pondered the options!

I am again using midwives and will deliver at a hospital (this time a smaller mw group that delivers at a hospital that has water birth tubs and a really low c-section rate).  So imagine you in the same birthing situation and for some reason are being asked to ponder induction (PROM or whatever reason).  What are your thoughts on cervadil vs. cytotec (I have heard bad things) vs. pit.  Does it make a difference that I previously had a successful pit. induction?   I birthed DD naturally after about 8 intense hours after starting the pit. but would love to have non-pit. contractions this time around.

I am, of course, hoping to avoid induction totally but feel like I should at least think it out a bit more ahead of time and figured I might make use of the knowledge and research you ladies have (as well as my own of course!).

So, this is what is going through my head these days - thoughts?

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#2 of 9 Old 12-09-2010, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I fall into the category of an unsuccessful pitocin induction so I thought I'd share my story and any advice I can offer.  First of all I am pretty sure that cervidil is just used to ripen the cervix rather than induce effective contractions.  I had cervadil put in before they started pitocin overnight.  I don't think it did much for me but as I said I am an unsuccessful story and my body clearly wasn't ready for labor.  Cytotec is a little more "harsh" I'd say and cannot be as easily controlled as pitocin since it is just inserted and left to do its thing.  I used cytotec when I had a missed miscarriage as I did not want to have a D&C and my body was holding onto the pregnancy.  Anyway, I'd say if you do have to be induced I would go with what worked last time.

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#3 of 9 Old 12-10-2010, 04:27 PM

I would really research it, and maybe also ask on the midwife professionals forum. I have heard some nasty stories about cervadil and cytotec. I'm curious how many weeks you were when your membranes ruptured.

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water
#4 of 9 Old 12-11-2010, 01:46 AM

I had a PROM at 35 weeks and 5 days and did not go into labor. At first, the MW tried cervadil. I had an allergic reaction and it swelled my birth canal (not fun at all). hen the MW had to push back my swollen (due to the cervadil) birth canal it hurt like hell.The next day they started pitocin and my son was born about 15 hours later. It was an unmedicated birth. I have also had natural non pit labor which was about 100 times easier. But it was a successful safe induction...my son was fine, no breathing problems, NICU or anything even though he was early. I too have heard bad things about cycotec. 

#5 of 9 Old 12-11-2010, 12:53 PM

FYI, my first birth was not induced. 

First, I think I would try to delay any interventions as long as possible.  I seem to remember hearing that my MWs let you go 72 hours after your membranes rupture.  Then I guess I'd try some natural things--nipple stimulation, walking, etc.  I think there are also some herbal remedies...blue cohash?  A girl in my birthing class last time had PROM and they did lots of stuff to try to get her started and she said it was miserable.  I guess no matter what (natural or "unnatural" methods), it's not anyone's first option.  I would probably also try castor oil as a last resort before pit/cervadil.  I think I would probably never go for cytotec.  Too scary for me.

#6 of 9 Old 12-11-2010, 03:33 PM

Btw I did castor oil...too, first....made me "go" but nothing else. 

#7 of 9 Old 12-11-2010, 10:06 PM

My waters broke too with no contractions in sight, and I did pit and I hope to not have to go that route again this time around.  I did try to naturally get things going...we walked...and walked and walked (something like 8 miles).  Tried nipple stimulation (at one point simultaneously while walking...under my coast) too with no success. 

My best friend had a similar experience with her first and did castor oil too, and based on her experience I would never use it.  It essentially did nothing (including intestinal) and she had a hard 10 hour pitocin labor.  The castor oil kicked in after her son was born and she then had to endure 4 hours of explosive diarrhea, which she initially couldn't control very well because of the strained pelvic floor muscles from intense labor.  Gah!!

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#8 of 9 Old 12-12-2010, 12:11 AM

ddcc...In both of my last two pregnancies, my water broke and I didn't go into labour right away. First time it was 36 hrs with babe born 4.5 hrs later. Second time it was 18 hrs with babe born 4.5 hrs later. In both cases I had an acupuncture "induction" after my water broke. I put *nothing* in my vagina and kept drinking a lot of water so my amniotic fluid would continue to replenish itself. I also did not efface or dilate until labour was underway (had one vag exam at 31 hrs post rupture and the mw couldn't even reach my cervix). Babes were born quickly at home once my body went into labour.

Cytotec is very troublesome. I suggest you try to do your own research at pubmed.com. I know cytotec has been associated with uterine rupture.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#9 of 9 Old 12-12-2010, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

It happened 2 days before my due date - so I babe was ready but my body was not!   

Thanks for the responses... I now know a lot of people who have had success with acupuncture stimulating labor (they were a week or so past their due dates so hard to say it is really worked or not but it seemed to!).

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page