anyone have a special needs child they are dealing with while pregnant this time? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-09-2010, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter is 20 months and still cannot crawl or walk so I carry her everywhere and it is KILLING me. My back hurts, I have to see my chiropractor 2 times a week, my hip keeps popping out, and I can barely walk on my right side because of it. I don't know what to do! I live on my heating pad and do stretches daily. I feel bad because she needs me and wants me to hold her but somedays I just can't. Anyone else have this issue?

Also, she is profoundly deaf and has other issues as well so at this point in time she has no means of communication at all and I feel bad because I can't even prepare her for what's to come. So one day she will just have this new baby at her house and have to adjust yikes2.gif Just makes me feel bad that I can't explain it to her like you could a "normal" child.

Wife to Robert 8-9-08heartbeat.gif Mommy to Lani 4-24-09 babygirl.gif and Cambria 3-25-11 babygirl.gif and one on the way! 6-26-13 stork-suprise.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2010, 09:52 PM

hug.gif I can relate. DD's special needs are vastly different than your DD, but still a huge challenge. She had a big procedure done last month that was REALLY stressful for me... and then we got a pretty unexpected diagnosis, so I'm just at my limit of stress and exhaustion. So my challenge during pregnancy has been more mental than physical, but I can relate to the back and hip pain too!!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:24 PM

Hdirks-So sorry you are struggling. It must be so difficult keeping up with your LO right now. I have a couple of suggestions for you though. Right now you should use a stroller as much as you can for DD. Even in the house if you have to. Also, do you have any PT, OT, or speech therapy for DD? 20 mos is a great time to start teaching her to use a PECS system and/or signing with her. Have you decided which route you are going yet in terms of oral vs. signing? I would also suggest you find a playgroup or meetup with parents of other Deaf children or even CODAs (Children Of Deaf Adults). There are other parents out there who have been in your shoes and it's always easier knowing you aren't alone :) I hope you have a great holiday season and please KUP on how things are going!

Elizabeth (31) & DH (31)
DS born October 15th, 2008
Our amazing HBAC DD born March 21th, 2011
Old 12-10-2010, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Yes she is in PT, and OT. She has bilateral cochlear implants but is not able to hear speach sounds even with them and we have been signing with her since she was 6 months. However, she has global delays and is vastly behind in fine motor skills and therefore cannot do any signs herself. She knows a few that we do but cannot do them herself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBeth705 View Post

Hdirks-So sorry you are struggling. It must be so difficult keeping up with your LO right now. I have a couple of suggestions for you though. Right now you should use a stroller as much as you can for DD. Even in the house if you have to. Also, do you have any PT, OT, or speech therapy for DD? 20 mos is a great time to start teaching her to use a PECS system and/or signing with her. Have you decided which route you are going yet in terms of oral vs. signing? I would also suggest you find a playgroup or meetup with parents of other Deaf children or even CODAs (Children Of Deaf Adults). There are other parents out there who have been in your shoes and it's always easier knowing you aren't alone :) I hope you have a great holiday season and please KUP on how things are going!

Wife to Robert 8-9-08heartbeat.gif Mommy to Lani 4-24-09 babygirl.gif and Cambria 3-25-11 babygirl.gif and one on the way! 6-26-13 stork-suprise.gif

Old 12-10-2010, 07:57 PM

(((hugs))) It must be hard.

Maybe a book with images of a sibbling getting a new baby in the house would help your child get ready for your baby? When I was pg of dd2, dd1 was less than 15mths and with her, I did read the book but images were also really important at her age. I'm sure it helped get her ready for her baby sister.

hth

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
Old 12-12-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine View Post

(((hugs))) It must be hard.

Maybe a book with images of a sibbling getting a new baby in the house would help your child get ready for your baby? When I was pg of dd2, dd1 was less than 15mths and with her, I did read the book but images were also really important at her age. I'm sure it helped get her ready for her baby sister.

hth

I really like My New Baby by Annie Kubler. It's a board book with no words, just pictures so you can tell your own story and make it as simple as you need to. But the older sibling is walking etc. Hugs to you and your DD. Oh, and btw, do you have an ergo or backpack carrier that she likes that puts the weight on both sides evenly?  

Wife to great guy and mama to 2 beautiful girls S Oct 15, 2008 and Z March 22, 2011
Old 12-13-2010, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

I do but she also has sensory processing disorder and freaks out if we put her in it. She HATES it.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:52 PM

I wouldn't exactly call DS "special needs", but he has some significant delays in understanding language.  I haven't been able to explain anything to him.  I am hoping that when it is easier to feel from the outside that there is a living being in there, he will comprehend on his own that there is a baby there.  My placenta is in the front, so it is making it hard to feel fro the outside. But it is getting more and more apparent, and there are 3 months left.  He does know the word baby, and points to babies when we are out.  I borrowed a little baby doll from a friend to use to role play a bit. And we are getting stuff for the baby and having it around the house.  We named the baby, and told everyone the name already, so that she can be talked about.  We hope that he understands enough of that to realize she will be a permanent person in his life, with stuff that is hers.  

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:11 PM

I just thought I'd chime in and say I can relate to your experience in some ways. I have a profoundly disabled 20-year-old daughter, and I'm finding it more and more difficult to get my work with her done without pain. The things I do routinely such as bathing her, changing her, even just trying to re-direct her are causing me great pain in my lower back. I'm trying to line up as much help as possible for the big stuff, like baths, but day-to-day I'm on my own. Fortunately, I know it's a temporary situation, and that helps. Good luck to you, and know that you're not alone! Hang in there mama!

SAHM to my beautiful, joyful, silent D (9/90) and exuberant, charismatic, not-so-silent S (11/07) and our precious little chickpea DD born 3/11 ,+7 animals. Partner to my lovely "M.O". Trying to live with intention.

User Tag List