Weird but likable name? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 12-17-2010, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone! Im new here. Ive been looking for a intelligent parenting forum to join that believes in natural parenting. :) I think i found it! yaaay.

I mostly joined because well... Im due March 22 2011 and me and my husband are still trying to decide on a boys name.

First off let me tell you a little bit about myself and my family so you can get a "feel" for the style Im going for here. We are having an un-medicalized birth, we dont know the sex of our child ( we chose not to use any ultra sound on our baby) , Im birthing at home with the assistance of a midwife and we will not be taking my child to a "conventional pediatrician" instead we are choosing a holistic practitioner. Both my husband and I are very much into philosophical, metaphysical and spiritual ideas and we live a "green" lifestlye as much as possible. Mythology, astrology, tarot, energy healing and self-development are just a few of the many topics that line our book shelves. 

We have a girl name picked out. If we have a girl we will be naming her Luna Celeste. We like the idea of choosing a name that is unique yet connected to the elements, the universe, mother earth etc... 

Boys names are much harder!! 

We have to give the baby the middle name Warren, its my husbands middle name and its his fathers and his fathers fathers so its a generational thing, which is fine with me, warren goes with almost any name well. So...I have been pondering the name Mars. I feel it is quirky, masculine, weird yet approachable, if you can look at it from the right point of view. I also really like the name Jasper but my husband isn't sure about it. 

What is your opinion? 

Thanks so much! looking forward to being a member on this site and future convos :) 

I believe in AP & living life with the awareness that we are all here creating our own reality which is shaped by our attitudes and beliefs.
Life CAN be magical.We just have to create it that way.
dust.gif

goorganic.jpggd.gifnovaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFbfinfant.gif
#2 of 33 Old 12-17-2010, 03:16 AM

If you like it, that is all that matters. :)

But if you are considering Mars....how about Zeus? Just wondering because I like it. I have a thing about Greek mythology names.

#3 of 33 Old 12-17-2010, 10:05 AM

I agree that if you like it that's what matters. 

I have an uncommon name, and when I was younger I can't say I loved it, but I do now.  I'm glad not to have the same name as others.

#4 of 33 Old 12-17-2010, 10:34 AM

I like Mars!  Simple yet different.

BTW, my 3.5 year old's name is Luna.  I got a lot of mixed reactions from people while I was pregnant, but pretty much only positive since she's been born (funny how that works....).

#5 of 33 Old 12-17-2010, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimmilf View Post

But if you are considering Mars....how about Zeus? Just wondering because I like it. I have a thing about Greek mythology names.

Thanks skimmilf for your reply! 

I knew someone who had a cat named Zeus. hahaha i cant shake the connection on that one. lol

I believe in AP & living life with the awareness that we are all here creating our own reality which is shaped by our attitudes and beliefs.
dust.gif

#6 of 33 Old 12-17-2010, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delaneymom View Post

I agree that if you like it that's what matters. 

I have an uncommon name, and when I was younger I can't say I loved it, but I do now.  I'm glad not to have the same name as others.

I can completely relate, I was teased and made fun of in elementary school for my name, Sarai ( sah-dah-ee , the R is slightly rolled). I hated it when i was younger, i swore I'd never give my child a hard to pronounce weird name. But now I love my name and would'nt change it for ANYTHING.Everyone I meet now says "wow what a beautiful unique name"   

dust.gif

#7 of 33 Old 12-17-2010, 11:03 AM

Mars is Roman not Greek.  That would be Ares (sorry, nerd here)

Quote:

Back to the actual conversation - I think Mars is a great name (and there's a more traditional middle name to fall back on if he grows up to hate it).  The candy bar theme does make me giggle a bit, but in a good way. :)

#8 of 33 Old 12-17-2010, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycrop View Post

I like Mars!  Simple yet different.

BTW, my 3.5 year old's name is Luna.  I got a lot of mixed reactions from people while I was pregnant, but pretty much only positive since she's been born (funny how that works....).

Thanks for your reply rockycrop : )

lol, its funny how people react when they ask what names we are considering, they kinda do this weird blank smile with and awkward blink, and say "oh thats niiice" hahaha its like "what? Where you really expecting me and my husband, with the way that we are, to choose something common?" 

Everyone is right, as long as we like it,  which is what Ive been keeping in the front of my mind...

Im just worried I might be taking it a little over board with Mars. I sense the bogus social pressure to make sure my kid will "fit in" with what everyone else expects as normal.  

dust.gif

#9 of 33 Old 12-17-2010, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prothyraia View Post

Mars is Roman not Greek.  That would be Ares (sorry, nerd here)

Back to the actual conversation - I think Mars is a great name (and there's a more traditional middle name to fall back on if he grows up to hate it).  The candy bar theme does make me giggle a bit, but in a good way. :)

Lol me too! ;)

dust.gif

#10 of 33 Old 12-17-2010, 02:50 PM

I know. :)

ZEUS is Greek, it's another 4 letter 1 syllable name based in popular mythology, that's all. lol.gif

btw, would you share your last name or tell us something about it? Does Mars sound good with it?

Also, my Ds's name is Dominic Wolfgang Wallace. I put the unique name that I loved in the middle. I wanted to call him Wolfie (doesn't fit him).

#11 of 33 Old 12-17-2010, 02:53 PM

When I named my 3 children I always kept in mind what "they" might think of their own name as adults....and if that name were an appropriate "adult" name. :)

Single (divorced), self-employed working, college student MOM to:

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#12 of 33 Old 12-17-2010, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy68 View Post

When I named my 3 children I always kept in mind what "they" might think of their own name as adults....and if that name were an appropriate "adult" name. :)

What did you name your 3 children? 

Quote:

I know. :)

ZEUS is Greek, it's another 4 letter 1 syllable name based in popular mythology, that's all. lol.gif

btw, would you share your last name or tell us something about it? Does Mars sound good with it?

Also, my Ds's name is Dominic Wolfgang Wallace. I put the unique name that I loved in the middle. I wanted to call him Wolfie (doesn't fit him).

sure! :) So the full name would be Mars Warren Melton...

how does that sound. I think it kind of works rolleyes.gif

dust.gif

#13 of 33 Old 12-17-2010, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

For me, it's more about flow. Mars Warren lastname doesn't do it for me. But Mars is easy to say, easy to spell and not bad on the eyes. Any chance you can ditch the middle name?

#14 of 33 Old 12-17-2010, 04:11 PM

I try to envision names working when the babes are grown up too -- I don't know if I can see Mars working as well in a business environment as it might growing up.  I thought about suggesting Marte -- Spanish for Mars, but that gets too rhymey with your last name.

I love Luna though, it's unique but not way out there and is just so pretty!

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#15 of 33 Old 12-17-2010, 04:14 PM

i used to nanny for a little boy named marshall, and his nickname was mars. i feel that nicknames and middle names are a better place to get really accentric with names.

mars is a great nickname.

i would also avoid names ending with S with your last name. i said mars melton aloud 5 times fast, and couldn't avoid the word "smell" in the middle. just a suggestion...

#16 of 33 Old 12-17-2010, 06:12 PM

My son's name is Orion and we get compliments on it all the time. The only thing is people always think his name is Ryan, especially if they aren't looking at you say the name. So we correct them and say his name is Orion like the constellation and people say "Ohhhh, that's such a cool name!".

Also, here is a name website I really like. They have an astronomy related list and some other really good ones too... http://www.behindthename.com/php/search.php?terms=constellation+planet+zodiac+moon&nmd=d&suppress=yes&title=Astronomy+Names&heading=none

ITA with the PP who said the name ending in S with the last name is asking for teasing. I was mercilessly teased for my first AND last name growing up so we're super sensitive about that kind of thing here. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Elizabeth (31) & DH (31)
DS born October 15th, 2008
Our amazing HBAC DD born March 21th, 2011
#17 of 33 Old 12-17-2010, 06:17 PM

Oh! So I was just browsing that list I linked to and saw the name Cairo. It means Mars in Persian. SO COOL!!! Just my $0.02 :)

Elizabeth (31) & DH (31)
DS born October 15th, 2008
Our amazing HBAC DD born March 21th, 2011
#18 of 33 Old 12-17-2010, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

For me, it's more about flow. Mars Warren lastname doesn't do it for me. But Mars is easy to say, easy to spell and not bad on the eyes. Any chance you can ditch the middle name?

Nope... :( :( its been in my husbands family for 4 generations.... 

dust.gif

#19 of 33 Old 12-17-2010, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBeth705 View Post

Oh! So I was just browsing that list I linked to and saw the name Cairo. It means Mars in Persian. SO COOL!!! Just my $0.02 :)

Hey i really like that! Ill have to run it by my hubby and see what he thinks... thanks!

dust.gif

#20 of 33 Old 12-17-2010, 06:27 PM

No strong feelings about Mars, but Warren was actually one of DH's faves when we were pregnant.  I wasn't crazy about it, but we both really liked the nickname Ren.  Just another thought.

Mom to DD1 (Feb 2006) and DD2 (June 2008) with HIE, CP, dev delays and reflux
#21 of 33 Old 12-17-2010, 06:28 PM

My son goes to a school with a lot of uniquely named kiddos he would fit right in :).  And I love his initials - MWM

#22 of 33 Old 12-17-2010, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBeth705 View Post

My son's name is Orion and we get compliments on it all the time. The only thing is people always think his name is Ryan, especially if they aren't looking at you say the name. So we correct them and say his name is Orion like the constellation and people say "Ohhhh, that's such a cool name!".

Also, here is a name website I really like. They have an astronomy related list and some other really good ones too... http://www.behindthename.com/php/search.php?terms=constellation+planet+zodiac+moon&nmd=d&suppress=yes&title=Astronomy+Names&heading=none

ITA with the PP who said the name ending in S with the last name is asking for teasing. I was mercilessly teased for my first AND last name growing up so we're super sensitive about that kind of thing here. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Yea and I love that name too. I love the way it looks. but thats the only little problem i had with it, that it sounds like Oh Ryan. But its SUCH a good name!

dust.gif

#23 of 33 Old 12-17-2010, 06:51 PM

It's sort of... violent.  I don't know, I would wonder why his parents named him after the god of war.  I actually really like god/goddess names, (DD1 is named after a myth, and DD2 was almost Athena), but honestly I'm not sure I can get behind Mars.

Of course, all this depends on how you feel about war and about military might, which I think is mainly what Mars was all about.

I really like Orion.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#24 of 33 Old 12-17-2010, 07:09 PM

i would ask your husband how he would feel about having the name mars as an adult him self. also i would personaly change the spelling like marz or mhars. i love unique names! my dd's names is kaizley and i love it when chooseing the name i would ask myself if i would love the name if it were mine and i wish it were lol! my nephews name is zayd alot of people are kinda shocked when they hear it but i love it! goodluck with your pregnancy and delivary!

p.s. i love love love the ciaro!

#25 of 33 Old 12-17-2010, 07:31 PM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lach View Post

It's sort of... violent.  I don't know, I would wonder why his parents named him after the god of war.  I actually really like god/goddess names, (DD1 is named after a myth, and DD2 was almost Athena), but honestly I'm not sure I can get behind Mars.

Of course, all this depends on how you feel about war and about military might, which I think is mainly what Mars was all about.

I really like Orion.

I was thinking that Mars Warren is a little too violent put together....Mars being the god of war and the war in Warren. It almost sounds sort of like a joke.....like my cousin Josh Kidder.

#26 of 33 Old 12-17-2010, 08:55 PM

If your thinking Luna for a girl, how's Soleil for a boy?  It's french tho, so I'm sure the pronunciation would be massacred by everyone!  I love the name though.

My brother has cool names for his kids:  Tallulah, Sawyer, and Willow.

#27 of 33 Old 12-18-2010, 07:53 AM

Here in Vancouver there are lots of kids with unusual names, so it's not weird to have to ask twice what the name is (whether it's an unusual hippie-ish name or an asian or south asian name). I don't love Mars with Melton, and he'll mostly get called by just first and last without the middle....

My suggestions: Rigel (like the star), Jupiter

and I like Cairo, but you'll always be asked if Egypt is a special place to you. I do think the -o ending sounds really good with Melton.

Wife to great guy and mama to 2 beautiful girls S Oct 15, 2008 and Z March 22, 2011
#28 of 33 Old 12-18-2010, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Yea... I think I've given up on the idea. I love love love the name but EVERYONE I talk to about it doesn't see the creative, quirky aspects that I do. Plus Mars Melton doesn't have that great of a ring to it. All well.... back to the ole' drawing board! 

dust.gif

#29 of 33 Old 12-18-2010, 03:07 PM

I like the name but then again I have Pandora Moonlilly and my next one would be Echo Stargazer :P

SaRaiMelting likes this.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#30 of 33 Old 12-18-2010, 03:14 PM

Mars Melton kind of sounds like a superhero from one of the superhero comics.

Now, I like Warren Mars Melton....I think that sounds great!thumb.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page