Opinions please - Best place to have the baby? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-27-2010, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone,

So after reading some scary birth stories I am having second thoughts about if I am making the right decision re: where to have my baby and want to bounce it off other expectant mamas....I have been planning on having my baby at a smaller hospital about one hour to one hour & fifteen minutes from here, with a small (2 person) midwife practice. I like both of the midwives, but have a strong preference for the more experienced one who has twenty + years while the other is very new and has attended ~100 births.  I live in a Northern state and weather could be an issue getting to the hospital, so for "back up" in case there is a blizzard, a progressive midwife/OB practice that delivers at the large teaching hospital that is about 15 minutes away from me has agreed to deliver me if I can't get to the other smaller hospital due to weather (if they weren't my back up I'd just have to go with whatever OB was on call).  

Note that at the smaller hospital there are not always OBs there and it might take 15 minutes for one to get there if there was an emergency. The reason I don't want to go to the big teaching hospital is that I have heard very mixed reviews plus I didn't like the attitude I got (at an U/S) about my age (40's) and that with my first being a little early why would I ever want to birth with midwives, etc.  To put things in context, this is my 3rd. My first was born the day I turned 36 weeks after PROM at 35 weeks (he was fine, I was induced, no pain meds, all in all positive birth experience, was in a hospital with doula/midwife was supposed to have been in a birth center) my second was 40W +1 day positive natural hospital birth experience with small midwife practice & doula. Not going with them as I now live in another state.  This baby is my first girl and feels like a real miracle as I hadn't even had a period in years. I really want to make the right decision re:my care. I think I'd be fine with the smaller hospital if I knew I was getting the more experienced midwife. Can I ask for her though? I haven't actually met with the progressive OB practice yet, that's next week, but I know that they are not my first choice from what I have heard, they would just be my best bet if I had to deliver at the big hospital. There is a midwife practice there but it's huge and again I have heard mixed things....

Thanks in advance for you two cents...
Stella

P.S. I think I could have a fairly fast labor (not crazy fast, but not going to labor for a long time at home....) 

#2 of 8 Old 12-27-2010, 08:31 PM

one thing... stop reading scary birth stories. I know wanting to get both sides of the coin but i think being aware of the risks and dwelling on the risks can put you in very differnt states of mind.

Now i i'm glad to hear that you have a back up plan and putting it into the flow of things. you may feel different about them after you meet with them but it is always a good idea to have a back-up plan. I'd worry about the distance to drive to the hospital. being in a car having contractions is not going to be fun at all. this is something to think about. Depending on when you decide to move to the hospital can really change your comfort level. that being said I would have supplies on hand for a car birth if you are thinking you'll go fast.

Honeslty while it may not be ideal, depending on weather and how your labour goes you very well may end up in the closer hospital.

I'd try for where ever you are going to feel comfortable and more at ease to birht your baby. it's normal i think to second guess everything about your birth leading up to it. Just be educated look at your options and remember to not be afraid

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#3 of 8 Old 12-28-2010, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Aily for your reply. I know it's true about the scary birth stories, I didn't seek them out but kind of stumbled upon them. I think I just have to steer clear for the rest of the time. I like reading positive ones as I think that is helpful. The other thing is that I had an minor hemmorage after my second birth, I didn't require a transfusion but it was unpleasant and a little scary at times. 

#4 of 8 Old 12-28-2010, 05:38 AM

since the midwife you want is in a small practice any way she would attend a home birth? That may be ideal for you b/c if you need the hospital it's right there but if not you are ultimately comfortable and you will know you will have that MW.

but the 2 person MW group is in a hospital? I think I don't really get it.

Are there no birth centers in you're state? that might be a better option for you. I am in MA and I could not find one anywhere until I stumbled upon some government website and found one almost 2 hours from me...but that's where I went.

If anything you could leave right when you go into labor since you think you will be birthing quickly, I personally would choose the smaller one

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#5 of 8 Old 12-28-2010, 08:05 AM

I have a very similar dilemma, but add in the fact of twins and my only choice of hospital being 45 min in good weather.  I usually birth at home, but not sure that's the best scenario with twins and backup being so far away.  Still, if I end up in labor at home, I'll stay put.  Our alternative plan is induction by AROM at either the hospital or the birth center depending on babies positions.  These dilemmas are not fun, and it's so hard to know if you'll have time to get anywhere or not.  

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#6 of 8 Old 12-28-2010, 10:34 AM

I'm having a similar dilemma this time around- last time my homebirth midwife was in the town that I would transfer to if there was an emergency (and the hospital that I have heard that I would rather transfer to anyhow).  She has since moved, so I am going with a different homebirth midwife- she has a beautiful birth center, but I would have to travel during labor and then after to go home- which I would prefer not to do (much prefer she travel to me!)

I had a fantastic home birth experience with a midwife that I believe reached 400 births while I was in her practice.  There was a moment where we thought we would have to transfer, but we made it through and I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

I guess my point is you have to go with what feels right to you- and the options that are available to you, but don't forget that the more experienced midwife might not be the better midwife for you just because of experience...that being said if she's the one that feels right to you I don't know why you couldn't ask if she could be the one that attends your birth, and under what circumstances she wouldn't.

I think it's great that you have outlined a backup plan- I didn't outline it at all, just knew if I transfered it would be with whoever was on call- I think that is how most of the dr's (and one nurse midwife) in our area handles things anyhow...unless you go into labor during normal hours you could get anyone within the practice, and sometimes not even someone in the practice...to me what is the point in establishing a relationship with your provider.  I guess many practices rotatate you through the dr's during your appointments depending who's on that day.  I can't even imagine...I want to know the person a little better than that who is helping me labor my child.

Good luck in your decision- I bet if you just ask what your options are it will help settle things for you.

Shawna- wife to DH, mother to DD (6-2009)
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****heartbeat.gif
#7 of 8 Old 12-31-2010, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for weighing in. I think I am going to stick with my original plan and just go with whichever midwife is on call and go the hospital that's a bit further away.  That is unless my labor seems to be crazy fast or there is a major, major weather event...these are tough decisions.  Happy New Year btw!

#8 of 8 Old 01-01-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaNuova View Post

Thanks everyone for weighing in. I think I am going to stick with my original plan and just go with whichever midwife is on call and go the hospital that's a bit further away.  That is unless my labor seems to be crazy fast or there is a major, major weather event...these are tough decisions.  Happy New Year btw!

Sounds like a good plan to me!

Happy New Year!

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page