Anyone still nursing in third trimester? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-02-2011, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I thought my 2.5yo DS and I would be done long before now, but we've been nursing this whole pregnancy. 

For a while now, Baby Bean would start kicking pretty hard any time DS nursed.  That still happens, but starting a week ago or so, I have been feeling a very mild cramp after nursing.  My nipples have been hurting for a while now, too.  

I am wondering if anyone else has been feeling this?  Is there medical concern if I feel cramping afterward?  

I am considering stopping until after DD is here, but I just don't know...the last time I tried to stop, DS got extremely sick.  He also has food allergies, and this was one form of nutrition that I knew was safe.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else out there is still going strong or leaning the direction I am right now...Thank you, ladies!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 01-03-2011, 09:02 AM

I am, although the little bit of fluid that comes out when I squeeze appears to be colostrum (or at least closer to colostrum than milk).  My daughter is almost 22months, and she barely sucks but mostly holds the nipple in her mouth.  The discomfort (and sometimes pain) I felt earlier in my pregnancy is gone, which is nice.  At my encouragement she is nursing a lot less (bedtime, naps, and sometimes when she wakes up), and I had figured she would have weaned by now.  At this rate I'm thinking that she might start up again full force when the baby comes. 

Forgot to add that baby would kick when she nursed too, but he/she also kicks when Fiona is just snuggling and on my belly...maybe its as much a pressure thing (or that I notice it more because of the pressure?)?  I haven't noticed any cramping, and don't know if its anything to be concerned about. 

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#3 of 13 Old 01-03-2011, 12:07 PM

We are going strong too... DD is 26 months and overall I've been so grateful for nursing remaining fairly smooth this pregnancy. 

I've have had a low supply for quite awhile, but just lately colostrum has come in- I can tell because DD now goes "mmmmmm  mmmmm MMMMM" very intently when she nurses love.gif .  (It reminds me of that dinner scene in What about Bob?)

I do feel the baby move when we nurse, but I always feel the baby move when I stay still, so I figured that was it.

Once in awhile I fell little cramps after nursing (but I haven't worried about it because they are of the same low intensity of the little cramps I sometimes get after exercising or dtdredface.gif...)  I have been curious about it though- Let us know what you find out!

#4 of 13 Old 01-03-2011, 12:36 PM

Still nursing my 19 month old DD 3-5 times a day. I've been having the after-nursing contractions since the beginning. they're the same as the ones I get after sex, and nothing to be concerned about. we also have movement while nursing a lot of the time, and DD has just been getting colostrum for about a month (completely clear)

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#5 of 13 Old 01-03-2011, 12:48 PM

21 month old DD is still nursing occasionally anywhere from 0 to 4 times a day.  I think she maybe weaning, which I am not happy about since I like a nursing toddler with a newborn to help with engorgement.  I am hoping she doesn't totally wean before her brother arrives.  Newbie does occasionally kick when I am nursing but no contractions yet.  When I was pregnant with DD the contractions when nursing didn't start till around 37 weeks, which by that point in time I was okay with, since whenever DD wanted to come at that point seemed good.  That being said they always ended when DS stopped nursing, so they didn't end up causing me to go into labor or cause any issues.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#6 of 13 Old 01-03-2011, 03:31 PM

I had hoped to still be nursing, but DD (19 months) just stopped, she wasn't interested anymore, I tried to offer again when she wasn't feeling well, she took a couple sucks and just showed no more interest :(  I'm guessing I just wasn't producing enough to keep her interested.  I would guess that the cramping is normal- but if your worried about it I wouldn't think asking your care provider would be a big deal.  I had really hoped to still be nursing, so congrats to all those that have been able to.  I'm hoping that kids are just different, some go longer than others.

Shawna- wife to DH, mother to DD (6-2009)
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****heartbeat.gif
#7 of 13 Old 01-03-2011, 07:54 PM

I weaned my dd after we confirmed twins.  My nipples were so sore, and having nursed 1 or 2 babies constantly for 8.5 years, I was ready for a tiny break.  Strange, though, she just started asking for nursing again last week.  She may start up again after babies arrive, if I have any time at all to let her.  I love the bonds all my tandems have developed over the years.  They are definitely closer than the oldest ones I didn't tandem.  

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#8 of 13 Old 01-04-2011, 06:28 PM

We still are too-my dd will turn 3 around the same time that the baby is born.  I would have thought she'd have weaned by now-my first daughter did when the milk dried up-but she doesn't show any sign of stopping even though there's nothing there.  I get the movement when she's on my lap mentioned above.

#9 of 13 Old 01-04-2011, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your replies, mamas!  It is good to hear others who have gone this long.  I'm sorry to those who wish they were still nursing and are currently not :(  DS and I stopped for 3 days and it was horrible for both of us, and even for DH.  I caved in today and let him try.  I heard him gulping and even though I had some initial pain, I was ok with it.  It helped ease my concerns hearing that others experienced mild cramping, too.  My appt was cancelled on Monday, so I'm rescheduled for Friday, and I'll ask my OB what she thinks then.  I am actually looking forward to having lots of milk again for both DD2 and DS1.  DS will be 3 not long after DD is born, as well.

Thank you, again, for the support and reassurance!!!

#10 of 13 Old 01-05-2011, 12:31 AM

I sort of am. ds will still come sometimes but not for long.. who know what will happen when the baby comes

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#11 of 13 Old 01-07-2011, 10:03 AM

I think my almost-27-month-old DD has gotten MORE into her milkies, if anything, lately. I swear there is nothing there--I can't express anything, and I can tell she's not swallowing, but she's been waking up in the night asking for milkies, when supposedly she's nightweaned. Sigh. I don't mind nursing her, but I need some sleep!

Baby tends to kick a lot when DD is nursing, too.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#12 of 13 Old 01-08-2011, 12:40 AM

My 3.5 year old hasn't been nursing for a long time now, but he still loves my "bah bahs" and likes to put his hand down my shirt for comfort when he's going to bed (or just anytime he feels like it for that matter!) He's been fascinated by hearing our new baby will "do bah bahs" and he asked if he could do them again too.  Do kids ever start nursing again once they've been weaned a while? I thought someone wrote in this thread one of their children had but when I went back through I couldn't find it.  He's into his big boy thing right now so I think when she's actually here he'd probably say he's a big boy, she's  a baby, and he won't be interested but we'll see...

#13 of 13 Old 01-08-2011, 02:12 PM

I had a terrible start with my oldest, and he just never latched properly and ended up weaning at 5 mo.  When his baby sister was born, he asked to nurse again, even though it had been 2 years!  He tried and couldn't quite figure out what to do, and that was that.  It was pretty funny, though.  Children that have only been weaned a few months probably haven't forgotten how, but a year or two later it's pretty unlikely they'll be able to get anything except some nice snugglies with mama.  

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page