Spotlight of the Week (1-24): Katroshka!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-24-2011, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This week's (late) spotlight is on Katroshka!

I can't find an intro on the roster, so bring on the questions and introductions!

Joyful, busy, often overwhelmed queer academic mama to an awesome toddler and:

****5****10****15****20****25**heartbeat.gif*30****35****40

#2 of 5 Old 01-24-2011, 01:11 PM

Hi, Katroshka!

What are you enjoying eating these days?

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#3 of 5 Old 01-26-2011, 08:17 AM

Hello,

Do you know what your having?

How have you been feeling?

Wife to DH mom to DD(09-05) and DD(03/27).joy.gif

#4 of 5 Old 01-26-2011, 12:07 PM

Do you feel ready to meet your baby-mentally, your house, etc?  (I don't feel quite prepared yet, so am wondering if others are or not!)

#5 of 5 Old 01-28-2011, 09:03 AM

Wow, I almost missed my week, I didn't see it on the forum until just now!

So let's see... This is my third child, and third daughter, and my husband's first, though he's been around since my kids were 3 and 4 (they are 8 and 9 now). I didn't find out what we were having with my first two, but they were so hoping for a brother that I decided I better find out so they wouldn't be disappointed at the birth. They were disappointed at first, but after promising the more tomboyish of my two very tomboyish girls that we would not let the house be filled with pink stuff she got over it. They are really, really excited about the baby. I have friends with little kids and babies and my daughters are really helpful and sweet with them, so I feel like I am going to have a much easier time with the babyhood with two great helpers this time around.

We (more me) are tentatively planning on having another within 18 months of this one being born, as my older girls are 15 months apart and best friends, and I want the same for this baby. Plus the gap is so big, my daughters will be in high school when this one starts Kindergarten, and will be 10 when they go off to college. I was a very lonely only child, so that makes me sad to think about. DH is worried about money, especially college funds, which I can definitely sympathize with. I have decided to see how we feel a few months after this one is born.

As far as food goes, I have been eating a lot of Asian type foods, especially when we eat out. I seem to always crave Asian food when I am pregnant. Unfortunately I am never very happy with my attempts to cook Asian myself, so at home we eat a lot of bean stews/ soups, and whole grain breads I bake. We get a CSA box every week so we eat whatever veggies come in that. We're vegan and love our veggies. I've been eating tons of fruit lately to combat constipation- I've found eating a lot of citrus does the trick. Luckily citrus is in season right now, so in addition to having lots of local, organic varieties available at our co-op grocery, my dad's trees are producing wonderful navel and valencia oranges, so I've been eating like 4 oranges/ tangerines/ minneolas every day!

I've been feeling really good for how far along I am. With my first I had threatened pre-term labor and a lot of extra amniotic fluid, so the weight was like I was having twins, it was awful. My second was better but I still remember feeling a lot more uncomfortable in late pregnancy, I probably hadn't recovered from my first pregnancy yet. This time the first trimester seemed worse than either of those, but the rest has been pretty smooth sailing. My hips have started bugging me in the last couple of weeks, and my uterus is really starting to press up on my ribcage and impede breathing, but my back is good and I have no swelling or anything, so I'm feeling pretty good.

Both my daughters were born right at 38 weeks, so if that happens again I have about 3.5 weeks left! It is really coming up fast now, and I'm very excited. Mentally I do feel ready, I really want to see her face and I can't wait to start learning about her personality. It's funny, I never felt like this with my other two but I guess because they are so big and I haven't had a baby in so long I have been really tripping about how suddenly we will have this little person who we know NOTHING about! I wonder a lot if she will be like my older two. They have really strong, independent personalities and I'm so curious to see how little Freja will be similar/ different. Since she has a different dad I am especially curious. DH is a lot more of a sweet, quieter personality than my ex was, and this one is going to be born in the year of the rabbit (unless she comes in the next few days, I hope not!), so I'm expecting a little more of a placid character than my rough and tumble, go get 'em girls, but only time will tell!

I don't feel so ready as far as getting "stuff" ready. We thought we would be getting a minivan a couple of months before my due date, but we've been working on refinancing our house since November and had to wait for that to finish before we could make any big purchases. It looks like we will close on the refinance on Tuesday, so we can finally get started on the van. Then there is more cleaning to be done, though I decided to have my dad's cleaning lady come in a couple of weeks and then again a few weeks after the baby is born, so that will help a lot. I also realized with a bit of a jolt the other day that I haven't even begun to THINK about my birth plan. I know it will be natural (as long as everything is OK, of course), and that my daughters will be there, but other than that I haven't thought much about it. So I need to get on that, and talk to DH about a couple of things (cutting the cord, etc.). We are starting childbirth classes next Saturday, unfortunately I got on that late so I am kind of anticipating having the baby before the last class- oops. I also need to stock up on easy to cook foods and other supplies, and after the little shower DH's work is having for us next week, assess what other stuff I need to buy. Oh, and I need to paint and recaulk our bathroom.

So all that stuff is starting to weigh on me a bit.

My daughter asked me the other day, "Is Freja going to be born on a school day?" I sure wish I knew, kid!

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page