Spotlight of the Week (2-6): Virginia887!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-07-2011, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all, 

Please join me in celebrating our spotlight of the week, Virginia887!!!

Virginia, you started the roster thread (thank you for your hard work!), but don't seem to have introduced yourself. Feel free to tell us more, and bring on the questions!

Joyful, busy, often overwhelmed queer academic mama to an awesome toddler and:

****5****10****15****20****25**heartbeat.gif*30****35****40

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 02-07-2011, 07:06 PM

Hey.   Do you know what you are having?

Is this a first child?

How have you been feeling this pregnancy?

Wife to DH mom to DD(09-05) and DD(03/27).joy.gif

#3 of 12 Old 02-07-2011, 07:25 PM

What sorts of foods have you been dying for here in the 3rd trimester?

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#4 of 12 Old 02-09-2011, 04:41 AM

Hello all! Thanks for taking the time to stop by and ask some questions! Beastie- thanks for the thread! Can you fix my username? Virginia884

DH & I are expecting our first. We tried for about a year to get pregnant, so, needless to say we are SO SO excited for this babe. DH started out sort of iffy on having a girl ("what do you do with a girl?") but he has really grown on the idea. And he's gone nuts decorating her nursery and buying her clothes. She is one well decked out little girl.

I have been feeling great overall with a few bad days here and there. My back/pelvis has been my biggest complaint. I had almost no morning sickness and my energy has been fairly good throughout. 

Now that I'm in the 3rd tri food just sounds so... ehhh. The entire pregnancy I have enjoyed a LOT of cereal and milk. And usually not the best cereal (froot loops and cocoa puffs are my two faves). Actually that sounds really good right now!

Today is a great baby day- visiting the pediatrician, homevisit with our doula, homevisit with our midwife. And I don't have to go to work!

Keep the questions coming! 

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

#5 of 12 Old 02-09-2011, 10:00 AM

Speaking of "great days," what sort of activities would have made up a perfect day for you, pre-pregnancy? 

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#6 of 12 Old 02-09-2011, 10:57 AM

A great day... what a good question!

Great day would start with a nice big breakfast (either homemade or out at some family restaurant). Bfast is my FAVORITE meal of the day, absolutely. Then if I were taking a day to myself it would probably be just lounging around the house; reading, sewing, napping, baking. Just being a home-body. If it were a day with DH (who gets cabin fever after being at the house for 6 hours) it would be a day at a museum or park, or window shopping somewhere. Then perhaps a concert or movie in the evening. Generally we enjoy just spending time together!

Now with babe on the way, I hope that a lot of this doesn't change. I'd love to be able to either just spend time at home with her or take her out and have her experience new things. 

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

#7 of 12 Old 02-09-2011, 12:10 PM

What are your favorite kinds of things to read?

What do you love to bake?

#8 of 12 Old 02-12-2011, 03:47 AM

I love to bake desserts. My favorites are just the oldie but goodies- drop cookies, caramel bars, cakes. Sometimes (and not anytime recently) I like doing fancier things like a cheesecake or a fancy cake, but usually I stick to the recipes that I know by heart and can't get enough of. I'm still searching for a good chocolate chip cookie recipe, though. The raw dough is my poison of choice, but my cookies always bake up way too crispy and hard. I don't care that much, as I eat my weight in dough before they even get close to the oven!

Read... to be honest I don't read as much as I would like. Recently I've been devouring all birth related things. Usually I like to read blogs (sewing, decor, and environmental). Magazines are big at our house. Books... not so much. I sit down to read, make it through about 10 pages and fall asleep. I've had 'the girl with the dragon tattoo' on my nightstand for 6 months. I'm hoping that I will actually start and finish it during maternity leave.

#9 of 12 Old 02-14-2011, 03:59 PM

Sorry I missed your spotlight week- Funny you mentioned eating froot loops- i had a spell with DD that I craved it too, then it was gone, just Saturday night I walked by the cereal isle and looked twice at the froot loops and while they sounded ok I didn't HAVE to get them :)  And I hear you on the raw dough, nummy!  I think I have the same problem with crispy and hard- from watching some cooking show I wonder if I cook them too much (don't have the best stove either so I can probably blame it on that too), but I know watching my mother bake hers over two seperate weekends, one set was great at first and ended up that way, the other was fantastic, she said she overbaked the first batch.

If I can continue the questions beyond your week...

You mentioned not having to go to work on your "great baby day", what is it that you do, how much leave will you take?

Shawna- wife to DH, mother to DD (6-2009)
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****heartbeat.gif
#10 of 12 Old 02-14-2011, 08:15 PM

I work as an administrator at a huge preschool/daycare center. Daycare is big business where we live. Lots of overworked parents. So, while I hate the thought of these kids being away from their parents so much, I do treasure the fact that we give them a good environment in which to spend their time away from mom and dad. If I had my way (and my ideal bank account!) I'd not work anymore after baby comes, but instead I'll probably be taking 8 weeks. Maybe a few more? After that she'll come to work with me and be down the hall in our baby room. So it's not so bad as being away from her all day. I realize I am very lucky in that aspect! Plus I didn't have to search all over and stress about daycare centers and waiting lists. Plus I am very lucky that I won't have to fight for things like time to breastfeed at work or using cloth diapers at the center. 

#11 of 12 Old 02-14-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia884 View Post

I work as an administrator at a huge preschool/daycare center. Daycare is big business where we live. Lots of overworked parents. So, while I hate the thought of these kids being away from their parents so much, I do treasure the fact that we give them a good environment in which to spend their time away from mom and dad. If I had my way (and my ideal bank account!) I'd not work anymore after baby comes, but instead I'll probably be taking 8 weeks. Maybe a few more? After that she'll come to work with me and be down the hall in our baby room. So it's not so bad as being away from her all day. I realize I am very lucky in that aspect! Plus I didn't have to search all over and stress about daycare centers and waiting lists. Plus I am very lucky that I won't have to fight for things like time to breastfeed at work or using cloth diapers at the center. 

That has to be one of the best WOHM situations out there. That's seriously nice.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#12 of 12 Old 02-15-2011, 12:05 PM

I used to work in daycare- and was talking with the owner about how much time the kids spend away from their parents, and he said it's about "quality time not quantity"...which kind of stuck with me- he said if you have a parent that spends too much time with their kids and begins to resent it that it's not a healthy situation, but if they spend good quality time, meanwhile the kids are developing social skills, learning etc that is better.  I had never thought of it that way.  Of course it depends on the type of parent you are.  I always thought I would want to homeschool my kids- but I like other activities that require money...and I personally feel acomplished to have a career and bring home some of the money that supports that.   That is fantastic that the daycare allows for cloth diapering.  And it is a nice bonus that you don't have to stress about adequate daycare...and you have first hand knowledge of who's watching your baby.

Shawna- wife to DH, mother to DD (6-2009)
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****heartbeat.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page