Sick and Pregnant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-07-2011, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a first for me. I've never been ill while pregnant. It's a major bummer. Fortunately it's a cough/cold that is now turning into sinus and ear pain and it isn't a tummy bug. But I'm really struggling. I'm 35 weeks and kind of freaking out. We are so not ready and being sick is putting me way behind on my regular chores forget trying to get ahead on baby planning and prep!

So what can I take? Im all about the homeopathic route but it isn't working and i need some relief. I am sleeping extra, I'm drinking lots of tea, nettle and red raspberry and such, I'm drinking lots of water and taking my cod liver oil. I'm totally out of bone broth and hoping to make it to the store tomorrow to get a chicken to start the process. But in the meantime I'd like some real medicine. Lol!

But something that helps! I took benedryl last night, I think it helped me sleep but i feel no better today and now I feel hungover from the benedryl! I'm super sensitive to that and try not to take it. I was desperate.

So before i send my husband out to our little dollar store here in town, what's safe, what's effective, what's worth my time and money? Anyone else going through this this winter? What's working for you?

Thanks!

Mama Lea, grateful wife to and mom to Big Boy 10/04/06 and my little Sunshine boy 10/06/08 and surprise joining the bed sometime in March 2011
#2 of 16 Old 02-07-2011, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

So far I have had both a cold AND tummy bug this pregnancy - blech.  I know there isn't a whole lot we can take.  Have you tried a neti pot?  I can't really help too much because I didn't take anything.  Humidifier in room and neti pot are my suggestions.  Good luck!

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#3 of 16 Old 02-07-2011, 03:20 PM

I guess I would contact your OB or MW or whoever if you are using one.  They will have a list of what is ok and not ok and amounts etc.

Hope you feel better soon!

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#4 of 16 Old 02-07-2011, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

I do use a neilmed sinus rinse, same company as neti pot. It helps but not much. I am sending my husband out for Tylenol. I know that's ok but I just don't know if it'll help. :/ I do plan to call my mw tomorrow and see what she says. It's hard enough to be a mom and get sick but being a pregnant mom and get sick is a double whammy!

Mama Lea, grateful wife to and mom to Big Boy 10/04/06 and my little Sunshine boy 10/06/08 and surprise joining the bed sometime in March 2011
#5 of 16 Old 02-07-2011, 05:46 PM

Raw garlic.  It's awful, but it clears my sinuses.  I'm so sorry you're miserable!  I've had my share of colds this pregnancy.

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#6 of 16 Old 02-08-2011, 05:03 AM

The flu is going around my work and I think I've gotten it. Woke up in the middle of the night having stomach cramps and contractions and feeling like I was going to puke. I am not a puker; I can't remember the last time I threw up with the flu. I was able to calm down, relax, and fall back asleep about an hour later. Now I'm feverish, shaky, and nauseous. Yuck. I took the day off; it will be nice to have a day on the couch, even if I am trying to keep my breakfast down!

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

#7 of 16 Old 02-09-2011, 09:08 AM

I was sick for about a week, and have finally gotten over it.  Only stuffiness and a tiny cough remains.  And coughing hurts my ribs!  But now my husband is coming down with something.  I am praying to the fates that I not be re-infected.  ;)  I took zinc and LOTS of vitamin C while I was feeling sick.  I do think it helped.  I only missed 2 days of work.

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#8 of 16 Old 02-09-2011, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Started eating garlic last night! Made my tummy ache which is why it's super important i do it only right before bed. Tonight I think I'll try and paste it with some sea salt instead of just chopping as fine as i can. I always wonder if anything is even getting absorbed when I just chop it.

I do think I'm on the mend but it feels like this is taking forever. My family is all sick too and yesterday my 2.5 year old had really bad ear pain! We've never dealt with ear infections so its a major bummer. But today he seems not as distressed. Still yucky coughs though. It'd be nice if the snow would melt and the weather warm up a bit so we could get out for some fresh air. Or open the windows and air it out in here. I feel like we've been cooped up with our own sickness germs and that's why we aren't healing quicker.

And sorry everyone else who is getting something too! I think this will be my last winter late pregnancy. I've been trying to figure out which was worse late summer or late winter, as of now, late in winter wins. At least in summer i can go for walks when the sun goes down and hang around half dressed! Plus i never got sick with my other 2 pregnancies. Next time I'm going to shoot for an early summer birth and see how that is. Then I'll be mid trimester for worst weather, that can't be so bad!

Now if only we could afford someone to come and clean is messy house!!!

#9 of 16 Old 02-09-2011, 10:37 AM

Ugh, I'm FINALLY getting over this week and a half funk that I've had.  Full week of severely sore throat, then itchy lungs, moving up into a cough and running nose.  I want it GONE!  Meanwhile, it's come and gone with both kids and it looks like DP's cold is on its way out (a day after it started irked.gif).  I truly think that once it's gone, I'll be able to concentrate on this pregnancy and actually feel like I'm going to deliver in a month.

Meanwhile, the amount of honey that I've gone through is ASTOUNDING.

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

#10 of 16 Old 02-10-2011, 03:39 PM

sick here too. i was just telling my sons teacher how lucky i was that i didn't have it as bad as he got it. but that was a week ago, and this thing just seems to keep ramping up. today i've lost my voice and have a sore throat on top of being sick. it's nutso! i think decent sleep would help immensely, but not much hope of that. :( wish i could call in a to go order for dinner :/

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#11 of 16 Old 02-11-2011, 08:24 AM

MamaLea - We've chopped and mixed it into cream cheese to make a spread.  As long as it's still raw, and consumed relatively soon after chopping, it should be fine.  

My sympathy to everyone who is sick.  I've got a slightly itchy throat and stuffy nose that I'm dreading will turn into something worse.  Keeping up with my vit. C and garlic, hoping to kill it off.  

#12 of 16 Old 02-11-2011, 08:45 AM

eat.gif cream cheese and garlic sounds fantastic, nummy!

Shawna- wife to DH, mother to DD (6-2009)
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****heartbeat.gif
#13 of 16 Old 02-11-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildnewmamma View Post

eat.gif cream cheese and garlic sounds fantastic, nummy!

Yup, my kids will even eat it! 

#14 of 16 Old 02-11-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Ok now it is out of my throat and lungs and just into my sinuses. A sinus infection isn't as bad and doesn't wear my out as much. The problem is every time I've had one before the only way I got rid of it was some kind of behind the counter allergy D med like Zyrtek D or something for like 4-5 days. It's the only thing that has dried me up. Hopefully I can get this to go away without since I don't think that stuff is safe to take! Otherwise I'll be blowing out green snot at the birth. Of course it is 5 weeks out hopefully but the last sinus infection i had lasted at least that long before I started the Zyrtek. Eh, winter pregnancy! I'll keep going with the garlic!

#15 of 16 Old 02-11-2011, 11:29 AM

Maybe you already take it, but when my littles were littler, we all used to take tons of good bacteria (like acidophilus) because it's supposed to help you get over stuff faster. We went to a naturopathic doctor who gave us straws for the kids. They love straws, and the insides of the straws were coated with good bacteria. My kids were both really sickly, and I don't think it helped that much, though.

I was on tons of antibiotics for infections during both previous pregnancies, and then again after for mastitis. I would love to avoid antibiotics this time (and we're in the home stretch!) but DS is pretty sick, and I've been living on coconut water and chicken/rice/broth for the last couple days. I'm pretty nauseous, but DS has been throwing up for over 24 hours, poor kid. Hope you are all feeling better soon!

#16 of 16 Old 02-16-2011, 06:09 PM

If you mix the chopped raw garlic in some raw honey it is much gentler on your stomach (and the honey is good for you too!).

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page