question for mommas of 2 or more... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 02-15-2011, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know this is such a lovely discussion topic, sorry! 

I was wondering if any of you with 2+ kids ever threw up in active labor and if so did that occur for all your labors?  I am sort of curious if tends to be something that someone either does or does not do or if it is more likely to vary each labor.

I did throw up fairly often during my fast active labor with DD.  Actually it was not a big deal and I didn't mind it that much, felt bad for the nurse though.  So if it happens again that is fine (and might be a good hint to me that I am in active labor).

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#2 of 21 Old 02-15-2011, 02:13 PM

Nope have never thrown up during labor.

Our GREAT #8 due September 2012! joy.gif
#3 of 21 Old 02-15-2011, 02:42 PM

I only have one, but I threw up during labour (in transition) with my first, and will be prepared to do it again this time.... I really felt like my body needed it and I felt much better afterward. So, this time I'm putting a big metal bowl in my homebirth supplies so we won't have to go looking for it, just in case.

Wife to great guy and mama to 2 beautiful girls S Oct 15, 2008 and Z March 22, 2011
#4 of 21 Old 02-15-2011, 03:00 PM

i've thrown up during labor several times.  just seems to be what my body wants to do, i guess! LOLOL

the babey is here!
#5 of 21 Old 02-15-2011, 03:12 PM

I threw up like 7 times with my first labor. so we'll see how it goes with this one. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#6 of 21 Old 02-15-2011, 04:04 PM

I had a pitocin labor with my first and barfed more times than I could count.  And had one of those lovely sitting on the toilet-puking in the trash can experienes as the nurse told me I was in transition, but when they checked me, I was at 3 or something.  :(

I've heard it's a pretty normal way for the body to push the baby down.

#7 of 21 Old 02-15-2011, 04:09 PM

I threw up in transition with baby #1. I asked for a bowl a couple times in my other labors but out of 5 total that was the only time I actually needed the bowl smile.gif
#8 of 21 Old 02-15-2011, 05:01 PM

I threw up a few times during both of my labors.  I throw up pretty easily and seem to have a very sensitive gag reflex.  I'm STILL throwing up this pregnancy (first thing in the morning, just saliva) so I'm SURE that I'll be throwing up during labor again. 

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

#9 of 21 Old 02-15-2011, 06:41 PM

I also am inclined to throw up (yup, still throwing up occasionally in the a.m. too!) and always threw up a lot w/MS....and car rides, etc....but never in labor, though both times I thought I was going to, I kind of surprised myself by actually not...I felt like I was going to and then the focus shifted away from that to something else....

#10 of 21 Old 02-15-2011, 07:12 PM

I've never thrown up.  Grabbed a bowl during a couple of my labors, but never actually used it.  

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#11 of 21 Old 02-15-2011, 07:31 PM

I did not throw up in labor with DS.  With DD I threw up twice, once right before/as I lost my mucus plug and the second time as my water broke and I moved into transition.   I am hoping I don't throw up with this one, but then again it isn't a huge deal either way.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#12 of 21 Old 02-15-2011, 08:49 PM

I never threw up with my others but this time the m/s is still here, so there is always a first time for everyting. We'll see how it goes.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#13 of 21 Old 02-15-2011, 09:19 PM

i threw up with my first.... then they took my water away....

i didn't with my seond I hope not to with this one

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#14 of 21 Old 02-15-2011, 09:52 PM

Not that it's helpful at all, but I had to add I threw up during both of my c-sections too.  After they took out the baby.  Not sure if it was pressure on my stomach or what, but it's so scary to be puking while you're sliced open on the table.  I hate puking.  I sat up from 2-4:30 because I felt like I was going to puke and I'd sit miserable in a chair than puke.

#15 of 21 Old 02-16-2011, 11:28 AM

I gagged, but didn't throw up with my first in reaction to something they had given me-I can't remember what.  It was a high intervention hospital birth.

I threw up once with my second-a homebirth-and pretty much emptied my stomach I think.

#16 of 21 Old 02-16-2011, 01:10 PM

I threw up with my second, only once early on after drinking a really strong and gross RRL infusion. I do not think I would have if I hadn't had it to drink.

FWIW- clients that I have had who got sick during labor the first time, have tended to the second time.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#17 of 21 Old 02-16-2011, 03:14 PM

I threw up with my first but it was only because it had been so long since I'd eaten (over 24 hrs and I have NO desire to eat while in labor!) and I was only drinking Emergen-C, which in retropect was too acidic. I get nauseated when my blood sugar is too low, so I don't consider it labor-related.

I never threw up with any subsequent labors.

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!
#18 of 21 Old 02-16-2011, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies ladies.  Seems like it might be pretty likely that I will again.  As one poster said I actually felt a bit better during/after throwing up...   Non-pregnant I actually almost never throw up and don't have much of a gag reflex.  This pregnancy I did throw up some and still sometimes gag brushing my teeth.

I think I will make sure I have something handy if I feel like labor is starting... especially driving into the hospital!   

I actually threw up with DD before transition... it happened periodically throughout the whole thing labor once I got to active labor (also pitocin induced as someone else had mentioned).   The nurse actually had just said to me... "let me know if you feel nauseous or need to throw up, it can be a sign of active labor".  It can't have been more the 5 minutes later that I started.

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#19 of 21 Old 02-17-2011, 12:03 AM

I did with my first, but didn't with my second!

Rachel, wife to my beloved DH Rick; mama to my 5-year-old daughter, Kyrie, 3-year-old son, Antonio, and daughter Epiphany, born 3-27-11!
#20 of 21 Old 02-17-2011, 05:45 PM

I puked with my first 2, and didn't with my second 2. I guess this baby will be a tie-breaker! 

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
#21 of 21 Old 02-18-2011, 05:02 AM

I threw up with my first, not with my second.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page