First Time Birthers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-15-2011, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Alright... who's gearing up to labor/birth for the first time? Is the unexpected starting to get to anyone else? I 'know' what is going to happen, physically, but the whole unknown of how I am going to be in labor, of how DH will be, of how it will feel, etc. has brought some anxiety into my thoughts recently.

What are you doing to combat anxiety/fear? And to all the experienced mamas out there, how did you deal with labor/birth the first time?

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 02-15-2011, 07:50 PM

Hi, I loved the birth stories in Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. I have re-read them every pregnancy, and in fact I may re-read them again now that we are in the home stretch...I also like the idea of a soothing mantra, whatever works for you to help remember to give in to the pressure waves/rushes...they are going to help you meet your baby!  These things helped me and oh yes, having a doula is WONDERFUL...I swear that's how I did an unmedicated pit induction (my first after PROM, pretty difficult but ended up being a positive experience overall) and a much easier natural labor/childbirth (my second), highly recommend having a doula if you can.  Hope this helps!

#3 of 6 Old 02-16-2011, 08:34 PM

2nd time here but I agree with the Ina May stories.  You want to go in with an idea of the variety of things that can occur but at this point you want to focus on positive birth stories and relaxing and reducing any fear or anxiety you may have. 

Make a plan - but be mentally prepared to be flexible about the plan.

I did a lot of pre-natal yoga and it helped to focus and breath and relax.  I tried to think of it more in terms of being excited to experience something new and looking forward to the discovery.  

To be honest, it is been so many years now, and you do kind of forget the details, that I am starting to feel the same way - even though it is my second =)  Time to do a bit more yoga practice and maybe re-read Ina May.

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#4 of 6 Old 02-17-2011, 07:05 AM

This is my first pregnancy.  I'm trying not to deny nor give in to my fears -- that is, I notice them and often mention them honestly to my husband or a good friend when they come up, but then (if they're about things I can't control) I do my best to let them go.

I'm also finding meditation helps!

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#5 of 6 Old 02-17-2011, 03:08 PM

I find myself more nervous the past few days that I was with my first. I think it's because even though I have been through it before, every labor is so different. I don't really know what to expect. I had a lengthy OP labor the first time, and find myself a bit anxious about the thought of a quick labor. Anyway, for me I was less nervous with my first than I am now. I just try to talk out my fears with my midwives and move on.

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water
#6 of 6 Old 02-17-2011, 05:01 PM

I also love the Ina May books. Reading really positive birth stories is empowering. We did Hypnobirthing with my first pregnancy and I found that sitting quietly and doing breathing daily really helped with any feelings about the 'unknown'. I also used Mimulus, a Bach flower remedy, whenever I felt uneasy about it... don't know if it helped but I think it did. 

Mimulus

"Fear of worldly things, illness, pain, accidents, poverty, of dark, of being alone, of misfortune. The fears of everyday life. These people quietly and secretly bear their dread; they do not freely speak of it to others." - Dr. Edward Bach

Going into my 2nd birth, I feel more confident about how I'll be and how my DH will be as a support, but it's still a new pregnancy, new situations will arise and now I'd like my 2.5 year old to be there too, so I'm thinking a lot about how that will look -- still a lot of 'unknowns'. I definitely find talking about these feelings as they arise, with my DH and a couple of good friends helpful too. I have 2 friends right now who are both pregnant with their firsts and due around the same time as me, so we're talking about it, but not in a fearful way!

Wife to great guy and mama to 2 beautiful girls S Oct 15, 2008 and Z March 22, 2011

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page