Overdue Club - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 82 Old 03-10-2011, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone else "overdue" that would like to chat? This is a new thing for me, and in a world of c-secs and enductions, it feels even more difficult to deal day to day. Today I'm 40w3d which is not that far past, but no matter how I try to occupy my time, every day drags on. Anyone else feeling like this?
We're planning a homebirth with a hands off approach, so I'm stuck with just a very few things to do to try and get things moving. Walking is getting more difficult and it's pouring here. I'm going to try out some pineapple today and put my rainjacket on and at least walk around the block.

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water
#2 of 82 Old 03-10-2011, 06:54 AM

I'd like to offer you some comfort. All of my children were born at home. All my boys (3 so far) were born after their "due date". My last in particular was born 18 days after! We did everything to get him to come! Anyway, first off I want to reassure you that you are not overdue until 42 weeks. The average pregnancy lasts 41 weeks 1 day....which also means that a little less than half of pregnancies go past 41 weeks 1 day. Your baby and body are wise! Treasure each day and don'focus on getting things started. I know this is difficult to do.

As I know we can't give medical advice on this board. I will point out some things I did and then you can look it up. My favorite resources for further info is www.gentlebirth.org

Talk with your midwife/careprovider before doing anything. Also, do not use castor oil...I have seen my desperate doula clients do this before some other things and their water breaks without labor or their baby passes meconium in-utero without labor. It should be an absolute last resort.

I also did nonfetal stress tests at the hospital in the end to continue assessing baby' enviornment.
Check out (in order of suggested and many in conjunction)

-Being intimate with your partner (you must also have an orgasm)
-Evening primrose oil
-Acupuncture (this worked once for me...a minimum of 3 treatments are needed)
-Chiropratic adjustments...particularly Webster's technique....(a minimum of a few adjustments)
-Herbal support -there are many suggestions

In the end it was all of the above list and the herbs after 1 week and finding the right herb (you can pm me about which ones my midwife suggested) that brought my 18 day "late" baby. (He was 10 lbs. 3 oz.)

Also try the old wives tales...I did,....if nothing else it has made for a great birth story. One of my baby's came after a fire alarm went off (she had mec, as well), one came after a bumpy horse drawn carriage ride in the park.
Essentially, this is the beginning of your birth story, as well. Enjoy the time.

Christine (wife, mom, doula for 8 years, and midwifery student)
DD12, DS10, DS7, DS4.5, DS2.5, & #6, a boy, due mid-Sept. plan 5th home waterbirth

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36** stork-boy.gif 40**
#3 of 82 Old 03-10-2011, 07:09 AM

I'm 40w4d today.  The biggest thing for me is that I feel so ready to meet my baby!  Plus my poor dh is a bit of wreck.  He's working 2.5 hours away and doesn't want to miss anything, so it's stressing him out a bit.  I do know that the baby will come when she's ready, but I think in my case dh and I thought we "knew" something based about when she'd be ready  based on our other two!

#4 of 82 Old 03-10-2011, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Christine! Yeah I for sure won't let castor oil touch my body. I have heard about it's potential to alter labor in a bad way. I can't put anything in "there" right now because we believe I had a water leak about 5 days ago. I think it resealed, but we're being on the safe side. I have a wonderful chiro but haven't been for a few weeks- I may call her for an appt. as she is very familiar with Webster technique.

It's funny because I didn't really think about it in the way that a baby born at 40w anytime is essentially "on time". I think we were like you Delaneymom, we assumed since our first was a day early this one would be early too. With almost 4w of prodromal labor stuff I can't believe she's still in there!

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water
#5 of 82 Old 03-10-2011, 10:12 AM

I'll sit with you on the overdue bench. My EDD was 2/27/11, so I am 41w4d today. I've definitely been experiencing the overdue time warp that you describe--the longer this pregnancy goes on, the longer it seems like it will go on iykwim.

My personal comfort zone is 42 weeks, so I have a scheduled induction this weekend. For me, setting down a date (as much as I *don't* want an induction) has really helped me to feel that I won't be pregnant forever.

Good luck to you, mama! I hope labor starts for you soon. 

Cami, wife to a guy and mom to some kids. Expecting someone new in Februrary!â¢â¢â¢â¢5â¢â¢â¢â¢10â¢â¢â¢â¢15â¢â¢â¢â¢20â¢â¢â¢25â¢â¢â¢â¢30â¢â¢â¢â¢35â¢â¢â¢â¢40
#6 of 82 Old 03-10-2011, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Cami- I think we were on The One together. I hope it happens sooner for you so you don't have to be induced. I'm having a homebirth, so I'm not even sure what my options will be if this keeps going on.

#7 of 82 Old 03-10-2011, 12:30 PM

I'm not "overdue" yet, but I'm due on March 14 and if things keep on the way they are, I think I'll still be pregnant April 14!  LOL

Aleyna - Mom to 6 yo DS1 wild.gifRascal and DS2 Tiny born 03/24/11
#8 of 82 Old 03-10-2011, 02:06 PM

I've been posting so much about this on the March chat I don't think anyone wants to hear me whine about it anymore! But I'll check in and say again that I am 40+2 today. I am really in shock that I'm still preggers since I've had two 38 weekers and lots of prodromal labor.

Did some PubMed mining today and can't believe how little research there is on effectiveness and safety of castor oil and other "natural" labor inducers... I found very little evidence that castor oil is dangerous to either baby or mama, and more that it is often effective.

Nipple stimulation was looking pretty good, as was membrane sweeping or stripping, especially after multiple treatments. Both had the most effect on women with ripe cervices, but for those without ripe cervices they did improve Bishop scores.

Talked to an acquaintance today that did castor oil for both her births, she said the labor was fine but the 4-5 hours before the contractions started really sucked because of diarrhea. She mixed it in a root beer float.

I just really don't want to get to 42 weeks and not be able to go to the birth center!

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

#9 of 82 Old 03-11-2011, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter

I hear ya Kat. I made this thread exactly because I feel peeps must be getting tired of hearing it on the March thread orngbiggrin.gif . All the new babies and here I am all bummed!

#10 of 82 Old 03-11-2011, 08:08 PM

I so didn't want to join you ladies . . . 

My last baby was a few days early and I had SO MUCH prodomol labor this time around - well, you all know the story.  But I guess she's comfy in there, cuz my little lady just isn't budging.  

Honestly all the starting and stopping of labor is making me wonder if she's got at least one fist or arm up by her head.  We've been doing different things to try and give her room to move anything that might be in her way, but we're not seeing any results.  No amount of sifting or inversions is helping her settle differently.  So maybe there isn't a position issue at all.  shrug.gif

Every night I go to bed just assuming I'll wake up in labor (I'm trying to stop doing that) and every morning when I realize that labor never started I just feel confused and surprised.  I'm only a day 'over' so I have LOTS of time, but having that cutoff date of having to be referred to an OB feels like a death sentence or something.  Like Pitocin = the end.  lol, clearly, I'm a bit melodramatic at this point.

We're just particularly antsy because DH only has so much time off.  We have no family within a few thousand miles, and no one is really in to the idea of flying up to Alaska in March.  Hopefully, our friends will be able to help me (they're planning on it) if/when DH has to go back to work and class.

*sigh*  

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#11 of 82 Old 03-12-2011, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Aw Sarah, I feel ya. I think it was better to be in labor for 2 days last time than this prodromal stuff. I had bloody show yesterday then woke up with a few meaningful feeling contrax last night but nothing this morning. We went to the mall so I could walk around earlier- I've had some contrax after that but nothing that feels much like it's leading up to anything. I really feel for those of you who have a timeline for induction and such, but I feel so lost on that front I don't even know what to think. If I do keep going here, I'm not sure what my options are with my HB. My midwives are very hands off and non invasive, so I don't know what they will suggest. I also know that I will start getting more worried the longer she stays in and may want to do some stress tests, but I hate the idea of being an overdue HB mama going to the hospital for testing. I guess we'll have to talk about it later next week if I'm still pregnant.

#12 of 82 Old 03-12-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest~mama View Post

I really feel for those of you who have a timeline for induction and such, but I feel so lost on that front I don't even know what to think. If I do keep going here, I'm not sure what my options are with my HB. My midwives are very hands off and non invasive, so I don't know what they will suggest. I also know that I will start getting more worried the longer she stays in and may want to do some stress tests, but I hate the idea of being an overdue HB mama going to the hospital for testing. I guess we'll have to talk about it later next week if I'm still pregnant.

The idea of going into the hospital for testing sounds pretty 'blech' to me too.  But we aren't going to have to do that because we're both going to spontaneously go into labor tomorrow.  Or tonight.  Let's do tonight.  I'll race you!

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#13 of 82 Old 03-13-2011, 06:53 PM

Hi all, I just wanted to join, although a little prematurely.  I'm due tomorrow, the 14th, so maybe that will be the day...but I doubt it.  My first 2 were 41w 2days, and 41 weeks, and I've had no signs of anything changing at all, so I'm thinking this baby is sticking in there for a while longer.  I was a lot more anxious being "late" with my first, and more physically uncomfortable at the end of pregnancy with my 2nd.  This time the pregnancy seems to have flown by so quickly, I'm still kind of in shock that I could be having a baby any day!  So I just keep adding things to my insane pre-baby to do list to pass the time!  (I just repainted my bedroom today!)  Meanwhile I'm trying to keep walking regularly, taking EPO orally and vaginally, and preparing myself mentally for labor.  I have to admit that while I'm not really feeling anxious exactly yet, I am getting more and more curious about who this little person is, and more excited to meet him!

Also, a side note to everyone feeling anxious...I remember reading last time around that scientists had a theory, based on research on mice, that a protein produced by a baby's mature lungs was thought to be a major part of what triggers labor.  For some reason that was comforting to me as I waited.  Hang in there!

#14 of 82 Old 03-13-2011, 08:21 PM

Joining you all.  Yesterday was my due date.

Sarah-your story sounds so much like mine!  I've had tons of prodromal labor too.  Contractions every night, getting more and more intense every day and then just piddling out.  Last night's contractions felt crazy real.  I've had a few strong ones tonight, but leading to nowhere again.  I think I wouldn't be as frustrated/anxious/obsessive about really going into labor if I didn't have all these road to nowhere contractions.  

I tried some nipple stimulation today and I would get one good contraction afterward and then nothing else.  I guess the baby just isn't ready yet.  That's ok.

Hoping for babies soon for all of us!

#15 of 82 Old 03-17-2011, 04:52 PM

+2 days here. Ready to be done. This afternoon I kept saying I felt like it would be the middle of next week, but now I'm not so sure it won't be before. I like what I read on the other thread, "babies are born on their birthdays"!

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

#16 of 82 Old 03-17-2011, 06:33 PM

my due-date was monday. I'm hoping that he shows up this weekend, DF has a 4-day weekend from school. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#17 of 82 Old 03-18-2011, 05:34 AM

Hi, I am at 40+4.  I am 1 cm dialated and 50% effaced.  Baby seems to really like it in there.  I am going on Monday for a BPP.  My midwife suggested stripping my membrane.  What is this?

#18 of 82 Old 03-18-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylavelle View Post

My midwife suggested stripping my membrane.  What is this?

Basically they run their finger between your cervix and amniotic sac, and the irritation of the lining releases prostaglandins which aid in effacing your cervix.  There have been studies that indicate membrane sweeps can initiate labor, although there is a risk of breaking your water.

I'm 41 weeks and 4 days and had a membrane sweep on Monday, which resulted in some cramping and a few contractiosn, but obviously didn't kick start labor.   

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#19 of 82 Old 03-18-2011, 10:31 AM

lurk.gifSince I am 40w tomorrow (by guess date, 23rd for ultrasound date, which I think I will switch to if baby doesn't come before- don't know if my midwife can or not- but it's the date I tell everyone anyhow!).  Thought some things were going on, but nothing.  I'm nervous about knowing when it's time to head to the birth center (1hr away- and they have started construction on the route) and hoping the other expectant mother at my mw's office doesn't go into labor at the same time.  My water broke to initiate labor when dd was born 39w4d (on her ultrasound guess date), and we had a home birth.  It's just weird not knowing what to expect.  I thought I had some leakage the other day at the grocery store- tried to decide if it was enough to keep shopping or not, decided to finish getting what I needed (since some of it was for labor).  Kind of had some rushes, so I was trying to decide who I would call first since I was 1/2hr from home in the opposite direction of the birth center.  mw- to make sure I was on the right track, dh- to get him home from work, mom- to get her on the road since she has an hour + drive just to get to us- then another hour to get to the birth center, but I didn't want to get her on the road for a fake out.  Told her about it and she didn't sleep that night (expecting a call).  Sometimes I wish there wasn't a guess date- I think it gets you all worked up, and it really is natures way- who knows how long is enough- of course it is a good idea to know when you might want to be concerned with what is going on in there.  I hate to push things along if things just need to happen at their own pace, but don't want to let it go "too long" either.

Very interesting to hear the other side of the coin with castor oil- I have had several people tell me it worked for them- but oh the side effect of diarrhea...I had not heard any concerns with it not progressing labor (I wonder if that's just interferring with nature, baby is just plain not ready).  So that's a concern I have, would hate to send him packing out of there if he's not ready.  I figure he knows when he needs to be born, I just know that there can be some concerns and reasons baby might need some encouragement.

Just an idea- but can mamma's "sign out" of the thread as they have their "overdue" babies- might be kind of encouraging to hear that they do come :) Not saying you can't continue to comment and encourage- it just might be nice to say hey- my baby came- your's will too :)

Shawna- wife to DH, mother to DD (6-2009)
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****heartbeat.gif
#20 of 82 Old 03-18-2011, 11:16 AM

I'm 40 weeks, 1 day today so I guess I can join in here! I went to 42 weeks with both of my previous pregnancies. No idea if I'll repeat that trend this time but clearly I'm 3 for 3 in NOT having my babies before the due date!

Rachel, wife to my beloved DH Rick; mama to my 5-year-old daughter, Kyrie, 3-year-old son, Antonio, and daughter Epiphany, born 3-27-11!
#21 of 82 Old 03-18-2011, 11:25 AM

40 +4 here.... Trying to be patient, but just getting really excited to meet baby.  Absolutely no signs of anything happening soon though....  My midwife seems to think I could go quite a bit longer so I've tried to adjust my expectations, but it's hard since my 2nd was born at 39 +2.  

Mommy to DS1 5/07 and DS2 1/09 , wife to an awesome hubby. And someone new coming in March!
#22 of 82 Old 03-18-2011, 02:28 PM

40w4d today.

So glad I didn't go with DH to pick up DS from school today. I know my friends mean well, but all the talk about the baby not being here yet isn't helping me any, ya know? So, DH offered to go by himself from now until the baby comes so I don't have to deal with it. Well, today someone he didn't know asked when I was due. When he said that I was due this past Monday she replied that she was surprised I wasn't already induced. With my mental state right now, that simple comment might have put me over the edge.

#23 of 82 Old 03-18-2011, 04:42 PM

I know just how you feel -- I had to deal with sooo many comments with my other pregnancies too, and it does NOTHING to help our mental state! They just don't get it. I tend to retreat after passing my due date because I don't need the extra stress or pressure from others.

Rachel, wife to my beloved DH Rick; mama to my 5-year-old daughter, Kyrie, 3-year-old son, Antonio, and daughter Epiphany, born 3-27-11!
#24 of 82 Old 03-18-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyrieNioMama View Post

I know just how you feel -- I had to deal with sooo many comments with my other pregnancies too, and it does NOTHING to help our mental state! They just don't get it. I tend to retreat after passing my due date because I don't need the extra stress or pressure from others.

The phone calls are the worst! I've not been answering my phone because I don't want to answer the barrage of questions.

40 weeks today. Three of my previous four were late. Looks like I'm 4 for 5, now.

C'mon Supermoon!

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
#25 of 82 Old 03-20-2011, 05:28 AM

So did the supermoon work for anyone??  Not for me, and I'm feeling a little bummed.  I said I wouldn't get my hopes up, but of course I did :).  I guess baby just wants to wait until spring is officially here...  

Mommy to DS1 5/07 and DS2 1/09 , wife to an awesome hubby. And someone new coming in March!
#26 of 82 Old 03-20-2011, 06:26 AM

Didn't work for me.  Having a Spring baby sounds nice.  Happy Spring!!

#27 of 82 Old 03-20-2011, 06:41 AM

I was due the 16th too. I TOO was counting on that Supermoon. Hmph.

SAHM to my beautiful, joyful, silent D (9/90) and exuberant, charismatic, not-so-silent S (11/07) and our precious little chickpea DD born 3/11 ,+7 animals. Partner to my lovely "M.O". Trying to live with intention.

#28 of 82 Old 03-20-2011, 12:45 PM

The supermoon was a superbust here. 40w6d and just wanting to hold my new little man in my arms. For some reason he is really taking his time making his appearance.

#29 of 82 Old 03-20-2011, 12:58 PM

Super moon didn't work for me either, though it did seem to cause a bunch of contractions that got my hopes up.  Feeling a little frustrated, but spending the day trying to relax with the idea that he will arrive when he is ready.

#30 of 82 Old 03-20-2011, 01:39 PM

Nope, supermoon didn't work here, either. 40w 2d and counting.

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page