How's Breastfeeding going? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-21-2011, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just wondering how you other moms (where's MLM) are doing with the breastfeeding?

Molly is doing well - our latch and everything is good - but she's showing signs of allergies like her brother and sister.  Mucousy, runny poops instead of the pretty mustard seed ones she had the first few days.  I've been avoiding dairy and soy since she was born just because the odds she wouldn't have gut issues seemed pretty slim.

I forgot just HOW MUCH TIME it takes to nurse an infant.  It seems like on the off-chance I can put her down successfully, she's up shortly wanting milk.  My other kids are very understanding, but the housework isn't.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2011, 08:16 PM

He still goes on and off at first. So I try to get a burp and once he does one, he's nurses better. He's latch is good. He also doesn't have a good poop. It's green and very watery. I just took out nuts/treenuts and today, I got to see yellow instead of green. So I think I'm on the right track. I've been dairy free too since he was born.

He's slower than his sisters were. He takes about 30min or so while the girls took max 10min or so.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
Old 03-21-2011, 08:57 PM

Fairly well. We have green poops but positive it is too much foremilk. He is a sleepy fella.

Our GREAT #8 due September 2012! joy.gif
Old 03-22-2011, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Sandrine, I totally forgot about burping her for days.  Burping helps!  It must be frustrating to have a slow nurser when you have three other little ones.  Molly only likes my "fast" boob.  She fusses when I put her on the slow one.

If you're avoiding dairy and nuts, what are you doing for fats? 

1bighappyfam, it IS tricky balancing the milk.  I have been trying to really empty each boob and make sure the milk is white.  I didn't follow the hospital directions this time for nursing, which really cut down on my oversupply.  So did offering the pacifier early and often.  Hope it evens out for you soon.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:20 PM

It's going OK here.  Georgia is slightly tongue tied, so my nipples are pretty sore, but she is eating well.  My milk came in Sunday and I still feel painfully engorged a lot of the time.  I can't remember how long that takes to go away.  I bought some cabbage today, and I hope that helps.

It does feel like all I'm doing is breastfeeding, but I guess that comes with the territory!

Old 03-22-2011, 03:04 PM

Rockycrop (and anyone else engorged).  You should also consider cool packs!  I was really engorged for a couple days, could not get a handle on it and then bought the NUK warm/cool packs.  You could probably use other kinds too.  I spend an afternoon and evening using them for 20 minutes or so in between each feeding and by that evening the engorgement was 100% gone!  I actually bought 2 sets of them cause my boobs are too big and even then I had to rotate where I put the cool packs to get all the swollen areas covered.  Engorgement is in large part swollen tissues so cold works well just like with an injury. 

The cabbage might work too, never tried it before.

BFing is going well.  We just went through the 10 day old growth spurt and the other night he nursed basically non-stop from like 7pm - midnight.  At that point he still wanted more but I was about to go insane and he needed to sleep and give my boobs a chance to actually make some milk so that he could fill his belly instead of just getting little bits at a time.  Finally I walked around with him in the sling for awhile and that put him to sleep and gave me a short break. 

He still prefers to try to latch onto his hand when I am trying get him started but his latch has improved a TON since I took care of the engorgement issues.  He does not really open that wide but manages to sort of suck in enough  that he ends up with a good latch in a couple seconds.  I know that is not really the proper way but it is not causing much pain or anything.

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:57 PM

It's been harder than I thought to get a good supply going for these little girls.  They are doing their part fine, but I guess I wasn't eating enough calories because the poor little things weren't gaining much and spent all night nursing with very infrequent let downs.  Since upping my intake and water, things are going much better.  We're finally starting to get some sleep at night.  The first two weeks were seriously insane, with one babe nursing a straight three hours, at which time the other would wake and take the next three hour shift.  I'd get maybe an hour sleep and start over.  Hence, no posting or even trying to do anything that required thinking.

The girls were weighed today and Lucy is now 8lbs2 and Lily is 7lbs, so they are above their birth weights by 6oz and 8oz, respectively.  It is just very hard to feed myself and the babes all by myself.  Thankfully my 5 yo makes sandwiches, so he can get lunch for he and his sister when I'm unable.  And, I've been whittling down my Netflix instant queue, too. lol

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcregan View Post
He does not really open that wide but manages to sort of suck in enough  that he ends up with a good latch in a couple seconds.  I know that is not really the proper way but it is not causing much pain or anything.

Lucy does that exactly, too.  I can't get her to open wide for anything, and since we're often tandeming, I often don't have the free hand to try to work on it.  Since it's not causing my any pain atm, I'm willing to let it go until she gets a bit bigger.  

Old 03-22-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyss View Post

Sandrine, I totally forgot about burping her for days.  Burping helps!  It must be frustrating to have a slow nurser when you have three other little ones.  Molly only likes my "fast" boob.  She fusses when I put her on the slow one.

If you're avoiding dairy and nuts, what are you doing for fats? 

1bighappyfam, it IS tricky balancing the milk.  I have been trying to really empty each boob and make sure the milk is white.  I didn't follow the hospital directions this time for nursing, which really cut down on my oversupply.  So did offering the pacifier early and often.  Hope it evens out for you soon.

My girls are pretty understanding and patient. They are also between 4.5yrs and 8yrs old, so they are more independant than say a 2yrs old, iykwim.

I cook with coconut oil and olive oil. I also buy fatter meats like ground beef isn't extra lean, etc... I also need to lose weight, so i may not need fat as much if I was at my ideal bmi.

i made a snack for my girls and it had sunflower seeds. dd3 didn't finish her snack and without thinking about it until too late, i ate a mouthful. oops. 2hrs later, he nurse and then had gas and a bit of cranps :)

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
Old 03-22-2011, 07:43 PM

kudos to you MLM!!! 

Glad you are getting more sleep - i am guessing still not much - and have your supply going better now.  I am working on using a finger to open Max's mouth and showing him what I want him to do, and that seems to be helping him open a bit better.  I don't know how you would  manage that while nursing 2 though.

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:52 PM

I have let her suck on my pinky a couple times before latching, and it does seem to help.  I guess I'm getting 4-5 hours at night.  Not a ton, but so far we're functioning.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:53 PM

it's going really well... he is the super cluster feeder. he'll eat every hour or so early morning afternoon and in the evening and then goes for 3-4 hour stretches. he doesn't nurse for long when he does only 15 minutes or so

as for  the foremilk issues i feed him on the same side for two or three feedings. and if the other side needs it i pump off a bit. i'm trying to build a stock up so it works out for us

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
Old 03-22-2011, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Aliy, ugh.  I'm dreading getting out the pump.  I suppose since I am not working this time, it will not be as horrible as it was before, but pumping moms are amazing.  I HATE pumping.

MLM, THANK GOODNESS FOR STREAMING NETFLIX!  And hooray for 5yos who make sandwiches!  Glad you worked it out and can get some food.  I find that I am starving most of the time.  I can't imagine having two arms full.  I don't suppose you would be willing to do bottled water?  It makes it a lot easier to grab a bottle and keep it near you.  I had to do that with #2.

Sandrine, isn't coconut a nut?  I was trying to choke down coconut milk on cereal and it's too fatty, but I do love coconut butter.  I should cut out nuts, too, but will try to attack one thing at a time.  Next is gluten, for me.

Baby's fussing - have to go.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:46 AM

Hi Mamas,

Aily I have a cluster feeder here too...lots of nursing in the later a.m. and evenings and less so at other times...she's also a good napper.

Forget who said the housework doesn't go away...same boat here but oh well for now....my boys have discovered that the Swiffer Wet Jet is a lot of fun to use!  It's mud season here so that's a blessing.

Lyss...so with you on the pumping...I HATE PUMPING!  Not sure I can swing it this time either after I go back to work.  Though I am with DP, we don't live together, and essentially I am a single working mom with 3 kids.  I think the stress that having to pump may cause me may not be worth it this go around.  I used to be really hard core about 100% nursing so I am struggling with this a bit.  But I already feel time constrained re: other things and adding this to the pile might just be too much.

No blisters this time around so happy about that. At the docs on Monday she was up to 9 lb 8 oz so she's gained back her birth weight & then some in less than two weeks and that made the ped happy :)

Oh yes, and thank goodness for Netflix streaming I am with you all on this one!  Don't know why but I am loving Cake Boss!

Happy babymooning Mamas!

Stella 

Old 03-23-2011, 09:46 AM

Lyss, my dh is a route driver for a bottled water company.  We have a cooler with a 5-gallon bottle and the kids will fetch me water if my bottle runs dry.  I try to have something near me all the time. 

Sorry to hear you are dealing with allergies!  It can be so hard to feel like you are getting enough yourself when having to eliminate so much from your diet.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:29 PM

It's going good here. Finley just went through her first growth spurt at 7d which seemed a bit early but I'm sure that's what's going on. She was nursing like every hour, then had a few hours of no sleep/fussy/constant nursing the last two nights. I'm hoping we're past it today-seems more normal so far. DD1 had horrible colic and I had to cut out dairy, but so far this LO seems fine with my diet. It is really time consuming, and I've seen DH quietly get a little stressed with working then housework once home. I've had a few weepy moments from feeling useless, but after two weeks I'll try to get more than just nursing done smile.gif

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water
Old 03-23-2011, 03:47 PM

Going really well here, my one complaint is that I keep getting a letdown when she is not remotely interested in feeding, which is pretty annoying. She's pretty good about just eating and being done, so not feeling like she is glued to my boob. I'm totally enjoying the nursing time, after 8 years I had forgotten how nice it is to snuggle with a baby and just stare and stare at her. It also gives me a good excuse to steal her back from her dad and her sisters, we all want to hold her all the time!

After her initial 7 oz drop in weight she gained 8 oz in three days, so at 6 days old she was 1 oz over birth weight. I'd love to see how much she weighs now, she is getting chubby and seems longer, I guess I can measure her at least.

Freja is funny, when her dad holds her she seems to get worried about where the milk went and starts rooting around, then he hands her to me and she falls straight asleep without eating. With two older girls who are very independent and have been for a long time, it's nice to feel so needed!

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

Old 03-24-2011, 09:59 AM

Well I'm 6 days out and not sure my milk has fully come in yet. I don't feel any sort of let-down and I have absolutely no leaking at all. She spends a decent amount of time on each breast and I know she's getting some milk, but I am so hoping for a better flow. Diapers look like what I assume they should look like (mustardy yellow and seedy). Any suggestions to get things going?

Other than that, good on one side, not so good on the other. My left nipple is cracked and scabbed over on the end. It hurts when she feeds. I've been hearing a quiet popping sound on that side. Am hoping it will heal quickly and I can figure out why the latch is bad.

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

Old 03-24-2011, 10:16 AM

Virginia884,

I never had any letdown feelings with my first ever, even though I nursed him till he was two!  So I think it's possible not to have them -- also I am not a leaker.  But I did nurse my first two exclusively for their first six months and they grew just fine :)  so I think it can be a variation of the norm. Hth...

Stella

Old 03-24-2011, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Adrienne, she is so pretty!  If she's having normal dipes, I wouldn't worry.  I didn't feel letdown w my 1st either, & this time not until after 10 day clusterfeed. 

Make sure you feed her a npl sanwich.  I had a cracked bloody npl too - the first time lots, this time once.  I don't use any lanolin, I just work at getting a good latch.  lact cosltnt suggested pumping until it hurts less.  do you have a pump?

Old 03-24-2011, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Katroshka, that's so cute!  I get letdown when my 3yo cries or when I look at sleeping baby.  So irritating!

Old 03-24-2011, 11:39 AM

Adrienne - do you hear her swallowing?  She should have periods of suck, suck, suck, pause, swallow, and then repeat.  That's when the letdown happens, even if you don't feel it.  Her poop sounds good.  Do you know if she is gaining?  The clicking noise happens when the babies tongue slips off the nipple.  It can be really hard on your nipple, and it's a good idea to break the latch and try again.  That said, I have had a couple babies that did this constantly and nothing helped.  My nipples eventually got used to it.  

I like Dr. Newman's site for breastfeeding help: http://www.drjacknewman.com/

He's got videos that demonstrate the suck, suck, pause pattern, and lots of other useful information.  He's also quite responsive if you have a question you don't see addressed, you can email him.  I had recurrent mastitis and a persistently plugged duct, and wasn't thrilled with the medical advice I was getting.  His input really helped. 

Old 03-25-2011, 02:21 AM

This is the hardest time to feed, for me. She wakes up repeatedly and I feel like she's sucked me dry. Maybe she's just too tired to actually nurse or maybe my supply is really low, but whatever it is, it is frustrating beyond belief.

Add on top of that the fact that I think I may have a yeast infection (thus the pain, cracked nipple, and all day soreness) and I really feel screwed in the nursing department!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

Old 03-25-2011, 05:23 PM

Virginia - is baby doing growth spurt? Can't remember how old she is. My baby started hers at 7 days and today (11d) she's almost back to regular with nursing. Even though I've been through this before, I still hadto call my midwife for reassurance that my deflated feeling breasts were really feeding Finley.

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water
Old 03-26-2011, 12:48 PM

Went to see a lactation consultant today after I called my midwife in tears yesterday. It was a great hour. She pointed out slight adjustments to my latch, worked with us on different positions and weighed Harper repeatedly to make sure she was getting enough. She ate 2.2 ounces in about 45 minutes! The LC doesn't think that I have Thrush, but my nipples are still in pain. I'm hoping its residual from the bad latch and will go away with the adjustments.

Thanks everyone for your support and guidance. Being a first time mom feels so natural at times, but can feel so overwhelming as well. Little by little we are getting the hang of things!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-26-2011, 02:44 PM

So glad that you had a great appt with the lactation consultant. I know for me, my nipples are in pain or slight pain until min 6wks. For me, it's when their mouth become bigger and able to take in more of the nipple than just the tip like when they are newborn.

AFM: my nipples are healing and they look better. I still have some pain when he latches on but I know that it will get better. It was like this for the big girls too. He's nursing about 30-45min and he gives me a hard time to burp at times. If he doesn't burp well, he will spit-up. :\

Old 03-26-2011, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

So glad you had a good appointment with a good LC (bad ones are NOT helpful).  It's hard at the beginning.  I don't think DD1 could latch by herself until maybe 3 mo.  DD2 at 2+ weeks still needs to be popped on and off several times, especially after a pacifier.

Sounds like she's getting plenty of milk.  Good job!

Also, yeast after a while feels like tiny fireworks of pain inside your boobs.  I'm sure it's a terrible thing to do, but rather than messing around with various dr. appts, LC or prescriptions, I've used a dab of lotrimin on each nipple 2 x a day for a couple days, and then wipe it off with a wet tissue before baby nurses.  You're probably not supposed to do it, but it clears up the yeast for me.

Sandrine, glad it's getting better.  I had started using all our burp cloths as cleaning rags, and so have nothing to wipe up spitups with.  I really need to get something.  Burping is more art than science, I think.

I am off dairy, soy and gluten.  DD has had a lot of stomach pain, and last night I saw a tiny spot of blood in her diaper in a yellow mucousy poop that had some seeds.  Ugh.  My other two didn't have blood in their diapers this early.  I guess either chocolate or nuts are next.  Sigh.  I've been eating LOTS AND LOTS of dark green leafy veggies to try to heal myself if it's my leaky gut that's messing her up.  I would really like a donut and a coffee right about now . . .

Old 03-27-2011, 08:43 AM

I also don't feel anything for a letdown and did not with DD either.  My occurs pretty quickly I think... when I pump it starts within a minute or two.  If it has been awhile between feedings I also have a side that squirts a lot during letdown and DS lets go and I end up spraying him in the face.  After being engorged it is kind of scary when suddenly your breast get deflated.  Like - hey, where did the milk go?  Milk is still there, it is just the rest of your breast that is no longer inflamed.

DS nursed when I was laying down this morning - smile.gif   Yeah!  We had not gotten that to work yet and I have  been looking forward to it.

Max also typically won't eat for about 8 hours at night!!  He will get squirmy and grunty after about 4 hours, I change him and try to feed him but he purses his lips and stays basically asleep.    He is a loud sleeper after that though and grunts and squirms and grunts so I don't sleep great during the 2nd half of my 8 hours.  I am thankful though cause DD did not sleep through the night until she was like 2 years old and the first week we had almost no sleep, so I can't complain!  

I have been co-sleeping with him but I am considering trying him in the co-sleeper more (sounds good during the day, hard to follow through at night), maybe swaddling would help with the squirming and grunting etc.?

Old 03-27-2011, 06:41 PM

The LC that we saw said most women don't feel let-down until baby is 6 weeks old. I wonder if it is earlier with 2nd, 3rd, children.

Jcregan, we do skin to skin when we nurse usually and if she gets too frustrated (oh does she get frustrated!) and starts squirming and flailing then I swaddle her and that helps.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:09 PM

Ds is having a growth spurt. Nursing often and then falling asleep for the rest of the time.

When ds squirms too much, which he does at the first few minutes, I usually try to burp him. Yes, he gets frustrated but then once I put him back to the breast, he is ready to nurse well.

User Tag List