Zoë Isabel Sakura is here! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 03-24-2011, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Zoë Isabel Sakura was born Tuesday March 22 at 5:02am at our home.

8lbs1oz, 20" long

Here's her wild birth story:

I started having light contractions around 5:30pm, felt nauseous and barfed, didn't feel like eating dinner and wondered whether they'd keep up or peter out as they had several times in the past week.  Wondered if this was the beginning, or the flu that's been going around... we cleaned up a bit, put DD to bed around 9 and I went to bed. The contractions were still happening, but so super mellow and not in any pattern or timing. I woke up around 11 realizing that they were coming more regularly, so I got up and started timing them. DH started setting up the birth tub, wrapping and putting sheets on the futon etc. and I called the midwife to let her know things were happening. She came over around 1:30am. I was still feeling really mellow and happy at this point - light contractions, feeling excited and chatty. She checked me and I was 3cm and mostly effaced. We kept it light and had a good time. She was the same midwife as at my DD's birth, so we know each other pretty well. In the next couple of hours, the contractions started getting heavier and more intense as I walked around, sat on the toilet and squatted, barfing a couple more times and trying to keep up the gatorade and water to keep some energy going. I could feel the transition feelings starting - anxious, emotional, teary and I wanted to get into the tub. The midwife checked me again in the water and I was only 4cm! I was so disheartened, really low and having big doubts that I could sustain this intensity for a lot longer. How could I be feeling like this with such little progress? But she gave me a good pep talk and I realized if I didn't get my head around it, it really would be terrible, so I decided to get over it, and I started talking to the baby between contractions, telling her how ready I was and how she should just come out. I had a couple more contractions in the tub and then my midwife told me she was sending me outside for some fresh air and thought taking the stairs out would help intensify things. I put on my bathrobe and slippers and a pair of my DH's underwear and went out into the hallway of our building (thankfully it was 4:45am and no one was around!) I had 3 contractions on the one flight of stairs and when I got to the lobby I had a huge contraction where I felt like pushing. My water broke with a pop and I remember looking at DH and saying "I need to go back upstairs RIGHT NOW!" We turned around and started back up. I had another contraction on the stairs and was stripping off my bathrobe as we walked back into the apartment. I sat on the toilet and the midwife asked me to reach inside and see if I could feel the head. It was only about a cm from the outside. She crowned right then on the toilet and I hobbled numbly into the living room holding her bulging head in my hand. As I stepped into the water the rest of her head popped out and her body came just after I sat down in the water. She was a big, healthy, week-overdue 8 pounder! DD slept through the whole thing, so DH went and woke her up and she got to see Zoë just a minute after she was born. We moved onto the futon to deliver the placenta and DD got to cut the cord with her papa just like she wanted. It was such a wild ride... from 4cm to birth in about 30 min.  We were all laughing and so amazed that it could happen just like that!

She's our perfect rosy little cherry blossom!

DSC_3587_1135.JPG

DSC_3633_1181.JPG

Wife to great guy and mama to 2 beautiful girls S Oct 15, 2008 and Z March 22, 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 03-24-2011, 01:59 PM

What a lovely baby! Who cleaned up your water break in the lobby :) ?

Love the name, too. Our cat's name is Zoe and I keep accidentally calling Harper 'Zoe'. It's a great name for your darling girl!

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

#3 of 16 Old 03-24-2011, 02:44 PM

congrats! that's a fast active labor, especially after a longer early labor. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#4 of 16 Old 03-24-2011, 02:55 PM

Omg she is so cute & what agrat story - congrats!!!

#5 of 16 Old 03-24-2011, 03:05 PM

Congratulations! How awesome is that?! I can't believe you were able to walk to the tub!!

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#6 of 16 Old 03-24-2011, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia884 View Post

What a lovely baby! Who cleaned up your water break in the lobby :) ?

Love the name, too. Our cat's name is Zoe and I keep accidentally calling Harper 'Zoe'. It's a great name for your darling girl!

I had a big blue pad folded up into a big old pair of DH's underwear, so it was contained really well.  My neighbours all knew we were having the baby at home, but I sure am glad no one stumbled upon us in that moment!

Wife to great guy and mama to 2 beautiful girls S Oct 15, 2008 and Z March 22, 2011
#7 of 16 Old 03-24-2011, 05:54 PM

Whoa, that is a crazy story!!  No wonder my midwife told me not to spend a lot of time at home messing around (I'm having mine at a birth center)!

#8 of 16 Old 03-24-2011, 06:30 PM

Great story! Congratulations! I am a week overdue today and really hoping it happens soon for me!

Rachel, wife to my beloved DH Rick; mama to my 5-year-old daughter, Kyrie, 3-year-old son, Antonio, and daughter Epiphany, born 3-27-11!
#9 of 16 Old 03-24-2011, 07:44 PM

Congratulations!!  30-minute active labor--things can sure turn around quickly, huh?  Welcome, Zoe!!

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#10 of 16 Old 03-25-2011, 06:37 AM

Congrats!!! Have a wonderful babymoon. :)

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#11 of 16 Old 03-25-2011, 07:09 AM

congratulations!

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#12 of 16 Old 03-25-2011, 12:56 PM

congratularions!

Wife to DH mom to DD(09-05) and DD(03/27).joy.gif

#13 of 16 Old 03-25-2011, 07:06 PM

Congratulations! She is lovely! Welcome Zoe! joy.gif

May, DH, DD born at home 4/08, DS born at home 3/20/11.
#14 of 16 Old 03-25-2011, 08:00 PM

Congratulations!  That's an awesome birth story.

#15 of 16 Old 03-26-2011, 12:41 PM

So sweet- enjoy your baby!

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water
#16 of 16 Old 04-04-2011, 11:01 AM

Congratulations!

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page