Post-partum bleeding? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-01-2011, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My baby was born three weeks ago tomorrow. While the lochia has mostly slowed down and is usually just the light pink/ yellowish discharge, a couple times a day I still get bright red blood like menstrual bleeding. It's not a lot, too much for panty liners, but never gets close to soaking a pad. Sometimes this is after I've been walking around or cleaning or whatever, but not always. Today I passed a roughly quarter sized clot, but this is the first clot I've seen since the first couple of days after birth.

I feel great, no pain, totally feel normal, lots of energy, etc. I know I bled like this for a while after my other two, but it was a long time ago and really can't remember how long it lasted.

Do you guys think this is normal? Should I make an appointment with my midwife?

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

#2 of 14 Old 04-01-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katroshka View Post

My baby was born three weeks ago tomorrow. While the lochia has mostly slowed down and is usually just the light pink/ yellowish discharge, a couple times a day I still get bright red blood like menstrual bleeding... Sometimes this is after I've been walking around or cleaning or whatever, but not always. Today I passed a roughly quarter sized clot, but this is the first clot I've seen since the first couple of days after birth.

I would say that you're doing too much. At 3 weeks PP you should still be taking it as easy as you can.

I don't think it's abnormal, just a sign to slow down from your body. Even though you feel good, it's important to remember that it takes your body a while to get back to normal physically and hormonally. I know it's hard to for us to be still in western society, though, it's just not what we're taught to do!

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#3 of 14 Old 04-01-2011, 03:30 PM

I'm four weeks and experiencing similar.  I try to do as little as possible, but I have two bucket seats I have to haul back and forth from the van 2-3 times a day.  I'm really anxious for my body and the weather to get better so I can start walking again.  We've still got significant snow on the ground. :(

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#4 of 14 Old 04-01-2011, 04:52 PM

I'll add the caveat that I had a c-section, but my uterus is shrinking, etc., like yours.

I will agree with the others.  I went to target and had heavy bleeding after 2 weeks PP (a toilet bowl of red with a big pool of blood at the bottom), and then today I had to go get the baby a script (RSV!  Double Ear Infection!) at the store and took the other two kids, and I had bleeding like you described.  Likewise when I have to care for the other two and do pick-ups and drop-offs and push on the swings in the sand, etc.  

When I see bleeding, I slow down (as much as I can).  With DS, I had quite a bit of bleeding to 6w pP, and I was running around like an ideiot that hadn't just had a baby.

#5 of 14 Old 04-01-2011, 05:47 PM

I'd say it's probably ok but if you have any question, and it sounds like you do, follow your gut & call your mw and see what she says. When I went to go buy nursing bras about 2 weeks pp i had a huge gush of bleeding that actually soaked out my jeans -- a big reminder to take it easy.  Mine has really slowed down almost to nothing though today (3.5 weeks pp) I had a bit of bright red again which surprised me and even though I hadn't done much today I am just going to try and rest some more, but if I see more of it I may call my mw....

#6 of 14 Old 04-01-2011, 07:16 PM

i'm haivng the same thing and I had a section.

i have a huge clot last weekend  or the weekend before i can't remember. but I called my mid wives and she told me to rest

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#7 of 14 Old 04-03-2011, 05:44 PM

What about hemorrhoids? Anyone else have them as well?  My bleeding has slowed down much faster than it did with after my daughter's c-section, but the other issues are still annoyingly present.  I only had bleeding last time, which dragged on for 6 weeks, but this time it's like a little wreck down there with things in all the wrong places!irked.gif

Mummy to two,  vbac.gif winner.jpgsigncirc1.gif
#8 of 14 Old 04-03-2011, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Well, it sounds like this is pretty normal. I can't really take it any more easy than I have been, so I will just have to deal with it.

I did realize after posting that the clot (and more than normal bleeding) that prompted my post came after I had chased my two idiot dogs up and down my street after the girls accidentally let them out on their way to skateboard. That was definitely more activity than I think I should be doing, but there wasn't much choice in the matter. DH wasn't home and the girls are not anywhere near strong enough to pull two pitbulls down the street against their will. Oh, well. Hopefully I won't have any more episodes like that and I can keep healing!

No hemmorhoids here. I didn't have to do much pushing during labor and didn't have any constipation the last few weeks of pregnancy, so luckily I avoided it this time. I had them after my first daughter was born and they really do suck. Witch hazel seemed to really help.

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

#9 of 14 Old 04-04-2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelly View Post

What about hemorrhoids? Anyone else have them as well?  My bleeding has slowed down much faster than it did with after my daughter's c-section, but the other issues are still annoyingly present.  I only had bleeding last time, which dragged on for 6 weeks, but this time it's like a little wreck down there with things in all the wrong places!irked.gif

Yep!  Pretty horrible ones after pushing (I think mostly from when his shoulders were a bit stuck/cord around neck and they asked me to hold my breath and really push hard).  At first in the hospital they gave me just the witch hazel pads - was not doing the trick.  The hemorrhoids were way way worse then my tear for pain.  My vagina felt fine - lol.     Anyway they finally gave me Dibucane (sp?) ointment for the pain - helped a TON!  When I got home I tried to make sure I got at least one bath a day and also poured extra witch hazel from a bottle onto the pads and made sure to really soak the hemoorhoids with the witch hazel every time I went to the bathroom.

After a week they got a bit better and less swollen. After about 2 weeks they were again smaller... now I would say they are significantly better and cause me almost no pain or discomfort, not even much when using the bathroom.  I still do the witch hazel fairly often.  Oh, I took stool softener for about 2 weeks as well.

I am at 3.5 weeks and still have some bleeding.  It is still often fairly red or more of a brownish color.  Not a ton of bleeding but I need a pad. 

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#10 of 14 Old 04-05-2011, 05:49 AM

I was told the bleeding can last up to 6 weeks (which doesn't sound awesome, as I'm only 12 days pp and would rather be done with it!), but you should call your midwife if you're concerned at all about the flow/clots that might appear.  Luckily, I haven't had hemorrhoids, but my friend did.  Do you have a soft pillow to sit on?  Jcregan's advice also sounds like good treatment.

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#11 of 14 Old 04-05-2011, 10:21 AM

Stelly,

I have had terrible hemmerhoids this time and with my first (but not w/my 2nd for some reason)...anyhow, I got some disposable ice packs (soft), wrapped in a paper towel, and stuck on witch hazel pads and would sit on those 20-30 min at a time (yep, shoved it right into my undies) and then as I got more comfortable I made my own (a few ice cubes, depress a press and seal quart size plastic bag to get rid of the air, wrap in p. towel, w/witch hazel pads and use the same way) but at first the homemade ones were too hard.  Also, I had to avoid sitz baths, the pressure of the toilet seat shaped seat made it worse for me, just regular baths...got much better for me this time after two weeks, now almost gone...still struggling with drinking enough fluids though.  Good luck I hope this helps, they are miserable!

Stella

#12 of 14 Old 04-05-2011, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the replies about the hemorrhoids, mine aren't too painful really, just annoying having them there.  I pushed so hard I burst blood vessels in my face, so not surprised to find other things escaped too!  I started using the cream since you mentioned it, JCRegan, and that's really made it better.  My midwife also said to sit on a towel on the bed without underwear to let the air circulate a bit, so I've done that the last 2 mornings which has also helped.

I'm hardly bleeding at all now, which is different to #1, where it was pretty full on for several weeks and ultimately dragged on for 6, I guess that's the punishment for being period-free for 9 months!

Mummy to two,  vbac.gif winner.jpgsigncirc1.gif
#13 of 14 Old 04-05-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

I was told the bleeding can last up to 6 weeks (which doesn't sound awesome, as I'm only 12 days pp and would rather be done with it!), but you should call your midwife if you're concerned at all about the flow/clots that might appear.  Luckily, I haven't had hemorrhoids, but my friend did.  Do you have a soft pillow to sit on?  Jcregan's advice also sounds like good treatment.

with DD I bled for 6 weeks, but the last two weeks were just light pink and light brown spotting. in retrospect, I was trying to do way too much too soon. this time I've been making a point of taking it easy and giving myself time to heal, and I'm bleeding a ton less. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#14 of 14 Old 04-05-2011, 05:27 PM

I've had a couple of heavy-bleeding, pad-soaking days at 3.5wPP.  How does anyone take it easy?  Life goes on, you know?  And the baby in the carrier, in and out of the car, grocery shopping, etc.  Cooking.  Dishes.  It never stops.  I am feeling like my incision is on fire by the end of day.  Anyone else?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page