It's April, March Mamas! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 111 Old 04-27-2011, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sara, can you feel the letdown?  Block feeding didn't work for me.  If you can feel it, maybe pop him off and let it spray onto a tissue or into a cup?  I spray too.  Hope it gets better soon.  How are his poops?

#92 of 111 Old 04-27-2011, 09:50 PM

sara have you tried chiropratic for him. it really helps my little guys.

if it is a let down issue i had to express before my first son would even latch

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#93 of 111 Old 04-28-2011, 06:12 AM

KaPow - Hugs!  Sounds like you might be having a rough time!   I know I have strong let down and when he lets go I keep a thick cloth/blanket under him and I will let it spray for awhile into that.  I don't feel let down but can tell by watching him.  I have a simple hand pump as well and that helped a lot earlier when I was more engorged and he was tinier and had even more trouble.  I would pump a bit first for a better latch and a bit less spraying.  www.kellymom.com has some tips related to this as well.

With the crying/spitting up and especially crying while eating you might want to consider looking into GERD and other possible issues like that!

I am pretty sure that the www.askdrsears.com website has some pretty good tips related to dealing with fussy / colicky babies and not just soothing but really trying to figure out what might be going on.  I know he has a lot of that in The Baby Book as well.

--------------------------

I did my first "real" PP workout yesterday!  I have been intending to do a ton of walking the last couple weeks but here in MN the snow/cold/rain just won't go away!  So I finally decided to do the level one (with the easier modifications) of my 30 day shred DVD.  It actually went fairly well... Except it took an hour instead of 20 minutes cause I had to stop for some baby care a couple times.  Oh, and the first level has tons of jumping jacks - I thought that my pelvic area was doing pretty well but I obviously need to do some more kegels and wear a pad next time.  Kind of annoying!

I am sore today but it felt good and even though I had to do the easier stuff and had breaks I think I feel I can improve fairly quickly.  =)  Hopefully then it will be nice out and I can get to walking and maybe even some wogging (spelling intentional - walk+jog).

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#94 of 111 Old 04-28-2011, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

thanks ladies!!! there is one breast that is way worse than the other. when he's feeding on my more normal breast, the overactive one will start gushing and i've normally just been stoppering it with my finger. sounds like i should probably just let it run into a pad a or something. or maybe try to catch it in a bottle?! i read up on block feeding and i suppose that would work, but it sounds like you really should't pump when you're doing it/or if you have forceful let down issues. :/ that's not good, since i was hoping to start stocking the freezer with breast milk in preparation for going back to work. in any event, i can feel letdown so i'll try popping him off when it seems like the worst of it is coming. he doesn't cry while he's breastfeeding, but sometimes he acts kind of panicked. like real squirmy, and making weird panicked noises that i only hear when he's breastfeeding. it's not always when i've got a heavy stream going, sometimes it's when i've been pretty drained. :/

thanks for the ideas! i'm glad to have some stuff to try.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#95 of 111 Old 04-28-2011, 08:28 AM

I have one faster (and way bigger; ugh) breast, too, which sometimes seems to overwhelm my little guy.  I find leaning back while nursing on that side seems to help him stay latched without choking.  If he's been feeding for a while and then grunts and squeals and squirms while latched, I think it's usually gastrointestinal.  If he pulls off then, I rub his belly.  And if he acts panicked, bobbing his head around but fighting the nipple and not latching on, I give him a burping break or let him sit reclined against my knees until he's calmer.  Sometimes he's even gone right to sleep when I burp him, which makes me think he was more tired than hungry.  When he gets really grunty and "poop-faced" I put him on his belly and pat his back.  He often falls asleep quickly and takes a farty but contented little nap! 

It's all guesswork, but at 5 weeks old I'm sort of starting to figure him out.  Of course, I'm sure that means he'll change all his patterns soon!  ;)

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#96 of 111 Old 04-28-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

I have one faster (and way bigger; ugh) breast, too, which sometimes seems to overwhelm my little guy. I find leaning back while nursing on that side seems to help him stay latched without choking.

be careful with this, as I read somewhere that making them nurse 'uphill' is more likely to cause a plugged duct. Don't remember where, either kellymom.com or womanly art of bf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

#97 of 111 Old 04-28-2011, 09:00 AM

Jcregan, you are my hero! Does bouncing DD on the exercise ball count as part of a workout?

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

#98 of 111 Old 04-28-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia884 View Post

Quote:

I have one faster (and way bigger; ugh) breast, too, which sometimes seems to overwhelm my little guy. I find leaning back while nursing on that side seems to help him stay latched without choking.

be careful with this, as I read somewhere that making them nurse 'uphill' is more likely to cause a plugged duct. Don't remember where, either kellymom.com or womanly art of bf

Interesting.  Kellymom was where I got the idea.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#99 of 111 Old 04-28-2011, 09:21 AM

The last few posts sound pretty familiar... luckily our situation doesn't sound as problematic as some others, but Freja often coughs and chokes a bit when I let down. It's been getting a little better, seems like my boobs are starting to regulate themselves more. I'm not having nearly as many let downs when I'm not nursing, and let downs don't seem as intense.

So I finally heard from my friend who recently had her baby, and I just feel so awful for her. She really struggled through her last trimester, with high blood pressure and lots of swelling. She planned a homebirth, labored at home for 3 days before going to the hospital. There she pushed for 4 hours, the head would start to crown but then slip back every time, for hours! Finally she had a c-section and then ended up with a fever, probably from an internal infection from surgery. Her baby had trouble breathing, they weren't sure if it was a respiratory infection or fluid in his lungs that wasn't squeezed out like it would have been in a vaginal birth. Either way, they both were on IV antibiotics for a week, in the hospital for 8.5 days, and he spent a few days in the special care nursery. Now they are home and the baby is very fussy and doesn't fall asleep well, I guess. She seemed pretty traumatized and wiped, and says her baby will not have any biological siblings.

I feel so lucky to have had such an easy birth and such an easy baby, I hate to even talk to her about it.

Oh, and my cousin had his first child a few days ago, and they had a really rough birth, too. Her water broke early Sunday morning, they went in but she had no contractions so they sent her home to wait. By the evening there was still nothing happening so they started her on Pitocin, and I guess by Monday still nothing was happening... eventually she went into labor and pushed for 6 (!!!) hours before finally having a c-section on Tuesday morning. Her baby was 9 lbs 6 oz, and 22.5" long! At least she seems very happy, they are both posting lots of pics and sound thrilled, and that's what matters.

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

#100 of 111 Old 04-28-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:

Interesting.  Kellymom was where I got the idea.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

It's on that page; I was thinking of the "laid back nursing" pose that is touted as the best way to nurse in WAoBF. Here's the quote from Kellymom-

"Australian position (mom is "down under", aka posture feeding) - in this position, mom is lying on her back and baby is on top (facing down), tummy to tummy with mom. Avoid using this positioning frequently, as it may lead to plugged ducts."

Sorry for the confusion!

#101 of 111 Old 04-28-2011, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

well, i figured out *part* of the problem... geo has some acid poops. any little squirt sends him up the wall. am i eating an acidic diet? is that a sign of an allergy? he's starting to get a rash, so i've been trying to air or ointment as much as possible, but the second i put goop on, he poops. as soon as i get him cleaned up and set him up to get some air, he poops. etc etc infinity. does anyone have any ideas?

#102 of 111 Old 04-29-2011, 07:41 AM

Not sure about the poops - but you might try adjusting your diet for a few days to see.  It does sound like a possibility.  I recently did some looking into it and Dairy seems to be one of the most common culprits, among other things...

"Suspect sensitivity to formula or to something in your breastmilk if any of the following ring true:

• Baby's pain escalates within an hour after feeding.
  • Baby seems gassy or bloated, rather than contented, after feeding.
  • Baby spits up profusely soon after feeding.
  • Baby begins to nurse or bottlefeed, but keeps pulling off, crying as if he's in pain. (The irritated gut starts churning during a feeding, which can make feeding time torturous for the allergic, yet hungry, baby and frustrating for mothers.)
  • Baby has constipation or diarrhea.
  • Baby's bowel movements are extremely watery, mucousy, or explosive.
  • Baby shows the "target-sign": a red, circular rash around the anus, caused by the skin reacting to irritants in his feces."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really liked aquaphore for rash with DD.  The zinc oxide stuff never worked for us.  But some aquaphore on there and it was much more protected from the next poop and healed faster.  

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#103 of 111 Old 04-29-2011, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

there are definitely some similarities on that list, thank you! i plan to go off of dairy as soon as my meal train is over, but maybe i'll start sooner :/ i came up with a theory last night that perhaps he snotty nose is contributing.... i know that teething babies can end up with bad diaper rashes, maybe it's close to the same thing. we got some cream that we know works really well, so if that doesn't help then i'll take dairy out and see what that does. thanks!

#104 of 111 Old 04-29-2011, 12:25 PM

Hope things get better, Sara!

It really could be a reaction to any number of foods.  Ozzy had similar reactions on a few days and I'm pretty sure that legumes are the culprit after looking back at my diet on those days. I've had friends who won't eat raw onions, broccoli, or citrus while nursing because of their baby's reactions.  Does Geo always have the same reaction/symptoms or could you narrow it down by keeping a food diary and tracking when he is better or worse? 

We've had some mild thrush here, which seems to be getting better.  And I stretched my c-section incision somehow and then it started draining a little bit, which led to the medical advice to "take it easy".  Pretty much just spent the whole week on the couch with the baby.  Not so bad, but I haven't contributed to the upkeep of the house in any way and was really hoping to start an exercise class next week after my 6 week appointment and am not sure I'll be up for it. (There is another mama-baby class starting 2 weeks later, so I'll aim for that one.)

I hope the rest of you, and your little ones, are doing well.

#105 of 111 Old 04-29-2011, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Rachel! I'm feeling toooo lazy at the moment. Are you keeping a food diary? I'll start one up if this doesn't improve, but it's been a whole 'nother story today. Maybe my theory about the snot was right? I've been sucking it out with the nosefrida (bleh!)... or maybe the diaper cream is working. Meh. Thankfully he's been a lot better today. Glad to hear you've been able to rest a bit. I didn't know you had a c-section, just saw your baby's name up on the baby board. Did you ever post a birth story? Where did you end up birthing? Once we've both recovered we should meet up for some neighborhood walks. I'm *soooo* ready for the weather to clear up a bit (and for my body to clear up a bit) so that I can get out of the house omg!

#106 of 111 Old 04-29-2011, 11:35 PM

Glad to hear things are improving.  I'm not keeping a food diary but haven't had a ton of fussiness.  When he has a rough time we just go back and look at recent meals and see if there is a pattern.  So far lentils and kidney beans.

I still haven't written the birth story, though I should soon since it has been five weeks.  I did end up with a c-section at Kaiser Sunnyside.  Short version: I labored at home for two days and was exhausted.  The midwife gave me the option of breaking my water to try to get things moving but I had an instinctual feeling against that and then went to the hospital with plan to get epidural, rest, then get back to laboring.  I had back labor for the second day of labor and despite a serious rebozo session in my livingroom, baby had turned and stayed completely posterior.  I had also been struggling with rising blood pressure during the week before I went into labor, though it stayed in safe ranges while I was laboring. At the hospital my blood pressure went up and lab tests confirmed pre-eclampsia. (I had done the same tests days earlier and it was not preeclampsia then.)  At the same time, baby's heart started deceleratung during contractions - I think he was exhausted too.  So, all of that led to the decision to have the c-section. I would have preferred to not have surgery, but I feel ok with how it all happened and how respectful the medical professionals were in the process. I also feel really happy with my decision to work with a homebirth midwife for the last three months of my pregnancy as it made everything so much more positive and healthy.  Having home visits postpartum was also really nice.

We should definitely meet up and walk in the neighborhood. 

#107 of 111 Old 04-30-2011, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

that does sound exhausting. the stories of greater than 24 hour births boggle my mind a bit. thanks for sharing the condensed version of your story!! <3 (i'd love to read the long version too :)

the home visits are SO much better than having to cart the babe to the pediatrician omg! so glad i'm not doing that this time. babe gets stuck in the carseat enough with all the school pickups.

i'll pm you in a week or two about going on a walk, yay! :D

#108 of 111 Old 04-30-2011, 04:42 PM

sara- i would definitely suspect dairy (soy would be the other big one). are his stools mucosy?

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#109 of 111 Old 04-30-2011, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

no, they look ok! he did have  a couple of sores/rash that are clearing up now.and he doesn't cry with every squirt any more.

#110 of 111 Old 04-30-2011, 10:43 PM

Cael has some gas issues but it works out really quickly.. today he has been having some good mustardy yellow poops.. he tends to have more green ones.

i'm hoping to get into running this week.. but we'll see how that goes...I need to do some sort of exersise

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#111 of 111 Old 05-01-2011, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

got a new thread going! http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1310986/hey-mama-s-it-s-may#post_16420907

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page