PP AF already? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-17-2011, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm almost 6 weeks PP, exclusively breastfeeding, and have EWCM already and feel really crampy.  With the other two, I didn't get AF for 6-8 MONTHS.  This seems especially horrible in light of my sterilization.  Can some one send the old ute a memo that she's been pink-slipped?  No need to set the alarm!

Anyone else's body shifted into high gear? 

DD2 Did sleep through the night about 3-4 nights in a row a week ago.  Is that enough to end my menstrual vacation?

#2 of 14 Old 04-18-2011, 09:08 AM

I'm 4 weeks PP and started bleeding again.  I think this is normal and not indicative of anything.

I read somewhere (probably here) that its very common to bleed at 6 weeks and doesn't mean an end to the pp menstruation-free period (no pun intended!).  That's so not helpful, I know.    

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#3 of 14 Old 04-18-2011, 11:08 AM

Huh, I'd been wondering about this.  I started bleeding at 7 weeks and still am a little bit 8 days into it.  With my first, I didn't have a period for close to a year.  However, with her I breastfed through the night much more frequently, and this guy nurses (just transitioned off of pumped milk, yeah!) at 10:30pm, 2:30am and 5am.  The other reason I've thought of is that I had the Mirena IUD put in at 6 weeks, don't know if that could be producing some sort of hormonal response.  So obviously I'm not worrying about pregnancy right now, but it would be nice to have a longer break from menstruating!

#4 of 14 Old 04-18-2011, 01:34 PM

You'll probably have to wait and see if it is your period or not, but it wouldn't be surprising to me. I had my first period 6 months after my first daughter was born ( I just had one, then got pregnant right away), with my second it was 4 weeks, and it stayed regular after that, despite exclusive breastfeeding. My second slept through the night pretty often so I guess that is what did it, but she nursed ALL DAY LONG so it was pretty frustrating to me. I'm at 5 weeks PP now and very curious when it will start up this time.

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

#5 of 14 Old 04-18-2011, 03:42 PM

According to LAM guidelines, if you are practicing ecological breastfeeding, any bleed within the first 56 days can be ignored.  But you have to be meeting the seven guidelines for ecological breastfeeding.  http://www.nfpandmore.org/The%20Seven%20Standards%20Summary.pdf

With my first two, I started cycling regularly at 6 weeks and 5 weeks pp.  With the first one, I had a pp infection and was told I could not breastfeed on the antibiotics I was given.  So he received bottles and I pumped and dumped for 10 days.  With my second, she slept through the night very early on.  After those two, my next baby I enjoyed 5 months period free, and from then on I was tandem nursing my toddler and newborns, and have experienced a year or more of infertility.  

I am on a email listserv with Sheila Kippley and she says that women that do not experience a lengthy pause in fertility while breastfeeding almost always are failing to take a nursing nap with the baby.  It gets harder and harder to do with older children, but that is what she has seen in her many years of experience.

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#6 of 14 Old 04-20-2011, 01:38 PM

Dani, the IUD  results in spotting after being inserted for most women.  I was one of the lucky few after my first was born and I spotted for about 5 months!  Then had a few light periods and then about 2 years of no period.  I might get the IUD again this time but I am really hoping for the more normal couple weeks of spotting this time.

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#7 of 14 Old 04-20-2011, 04:59 PM

I'm 6 weeks pp and started bleeding again after 2 weeks of no bleeding. There is such a thing as a "6 week bleed" however so I'm assuming that is what this is. I'm not one to resume cycles until after stopping nursing.

I did bleed virtually every single day on Mirena for 10 months. bleh.

Our GREAT #8 due September 2012! joy.gif
#8 of 14 Old 04-20-2011, 05:00 PM

TMI alert!!

So, the night after I posted this, I woke up feeling a fluid discharge.  Great!!  Don't tell me AF with TWINS!!  No, I am experiencing a very clear, watery discharge that has continued to date.  I experienced this once before.  After having my 5th baby, I was tandem nursing my toddler as well.  The toddler decided that he needed to nurse every time the newborn did.  I think it was similar timing as now, when I had this discharge. I asked a listserv of NFP professionals and the conclusion they came up with was that it was either highly fertile or the exact opposite, a reaction of intense suppression of my ovaries.  Since AF didn't arrive until well after a year, it was the latter.  Trouble is, I don't recall how long this discharge lasted, and I also ended up weaning my toddler because of the intensity of everything.  So, back to pads for me.  Ugh.  And waiting for this to end so we can do our 3-count.  We still haven't been intimate since birthday.  Dh is starting to get antsy.

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#9 of 14 Old 04-21-2011, 11:44 AM

great... now i'm cramping with the bleeding. that is new to me. we are not trying not preventing so i do wish AF would stay away longer.

Our GREAT #8 due September 2012! joy.gif
#10 of 14 Old 04-21-2011, 05:27 PM

You guys are freaking me out, as DH and I have no idea what we're doing for BC this time! We used FAM before trying to get pregnant, but I am not willing to depend on that now that I'm up throughout the night and can't sleep for a decent amount of time before temping. Crossing my fingers that AF stays far, far away.

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

#11 of 14 Old 04-27-2011, 09:55 AM

so the 'threshold" is different for everyone in terms of what level of change in breastfeeding will bring on fertility. research indicates that sudden change is more likely to affect it than gradual change. Lyss- you said in another thread that you were using a pacifier this time, is that different from your other 2?

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#12 of 14 Old 04-27-2011, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana731 View Post

so the 'threshold" is different for everyone in terms of what level of change in breastfeeding will bring on fertility. research indicates that sudden change is more likely to affect it than gradual change. Lyss- you said in another thread that you were using a pacifier this time, is that different from your other 2?

No, but this baby is different.  The other two nursed 'round the clock for comfort.  Baby nurses every few hours (3-4) in distinct "meals".  She doesn't hang out at the boob at all.

That said, maybe I had EWCM before?  I don't know.  Historically, I have a 4-6 day LP (and yet I got pregnant by accident - crazy), so if it is still like that, I should have had AF by now.  Maybe it was just a false alarm.

#13 of 14 Old 04-27-2011, 01:29 PM

Just finished my period... I doubt it was a six week bleed, it really seemed exactly like my periods, with light cramping and everything, and I got my period 4 weeks postpartum with my middle daughter.

So lame!

I have not taken many nursing naps, I'm not a big nap person. I take one once or sometimes twice a week if I didn't sleep well the night before. In every other way I meet the ecological nursing guidelines. Also, Freja doesn't really stay on the boob much. She eats and gets off most of the time, so even if I am nursing her to sleep for a nap it's not much of a "nursing nap".

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

#14 of 14 Old 04-27-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katroshka View Post

Just finished my period... I doubt it was a six week bleed, it really seemed exactly like my periods, with light cramping and everything, and I got my period 4 weeks postpartum with my middle daughter.

So lame!

I have not taken many nursing naps, I'm not a big nap person. I take one once or sometimes twice a week if I didn't sleep well the night before. In every other way I meet the ecological nursing guidelines. Also, Freja doesn't really stay on the boob much. She eats and gets off most of the time, so even if I am nursing her to sleep for a nap it's not much of a "nursing nap".

Ditto - on all of this!  DS nurses totally different then DD did!   It suck to get a period so early but having had a constant nurser before it is kind of nice this time..  Getting my IUD next week for the next couple years while DH gets a vasectomy.  

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page