IUD Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-29-2011, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, I had an IUD (Mirena) placed at my six week follow up visit on Wed. It was pretty painful (and I have done all three of my births with no pain meds) and I am still feeling pretty crampy, the cramps feel like afterpains.  How long does this last? I hope it goes away soon...I took pain meds for the first 24 hours and it must have abated for a while because I kind of forgot about it...not to mention the spotting but I can deal with that part, it's more like a light period frankly....but now the pain is much worse than I expected. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Stella

#2 of 8 Old 04-29-2011, 06:59 PM

I'd say I cramped off and on for a week or so. They were mild cramps, not as bad as menstrual cramps, but my menstrual cramps pre-Mirena were really, really bad. I also got mine inserted 4 years after my last birth - I'd imagine a post-partum cervix/uterus is more easily irritated than your average. The spotting, btw, lasted for a really, really long time for me. At least a month in the "light period" stage, and then gradually less and less over time. Sometimes I'd get spotting several days in a row, then none for a week, then a heavier day, etc. It wasn't really predictable at all. I've had mine for about a year and a half now - I can't remember when the spotting stopped, but I'm generally on a regular cycle now (though it's short - maybe 21-24 days). I used to only get periods 3 or 4 times a year, and they were killers where I was curled up in a fetal position and couldn't leave the house for fear of bleeding though everything - so frequent, but very light and painless, periods were a good trade off for me. I seem to be a rarity among people I know though - most bleed less frequently than before, or on the same cycle as pre-Mirena, but pretty much only spotting for a few days rather than a true period. Then there are the lucky ones who have cycles that completely stop.
#3 of 8 Old 04-29-2011, 07:00 PM

I didn't realize I was DDC crashing! I hope that's okay smile.gif
#4 of 8 Old 04-30-2011, 06:50 AM

see i had absolutely no sensation when it went in. nor cramping afterwards. i did however bleed almost every.single.day for 10 months straight. HATED that thing.

if you are having pain pain and not just uncomfy i'd go back in because it is entirely plausible that it was inserted incorrectly.

Our GREAT #8 due September 2012! joy.gif
#5 of 8 Old 04-30-2011, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies ladies.  Since I was in menopause for a couple of years before the pregnancy I wasn't expect much/this much bleeding but in addition to the cramps I've had the blues since this thing was put in and have been overeating...not pleasant, totally feel like I have PMS, the same way I felt when I took the progesterone pills when I was on hormone replacement therapy - crappy. My MW put it in but when I talked to the doc about it she said that the progesterone would be localized to my uterus but it sure doesn't feel that way. I am calling Monday and asking for it to be taken out.  This is miserable. Maybe I can try the one without the hormones. I could manage the crampiness and the spotting if it wasn't for the mood piece! Argh!  

#6 of 8 Old 05-01-2011, 01:46 PM

I was told I could not get mine put in until 8 weeks pp because the uterus is still fairly soft before that and the risk for perforating the uterus is a bit high.  Maybe something like that happened but just was not caught during the procedure.  The person I talked with said even sometimes then it happens and you then just have to wait a number of weeks and can do it again.

If you are still in pain I would go in definately.  The bleeding is pretty normal I think.  I spotted for many months after the one I had before DS. Eventually (after 1-2 years) I had no period at all.

The copper one does not have the hormones but does normally result is very heavy periods so be aware of that.

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#7 of 8 Old 05-02-2011, 11:33 AM

Slightly related...I went on Flonase one time for allergies because I was nursing and the doctor said it acted very locally in the sinuses and didn't really get into your bloodstream.  After using it for a week I had horrible insomnia.  Found online that a lot of other people had similar reactions.

I don't think anything that you put in your body can be completely localized because everything is so connected!

I hope the removal is painless for you!

#8 of 8 Old 05-02-2011, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for weighing in...Jayray not glad for your insomnia but glad it's not just me...I think you are right about the localized thing. They said they'd call me back today but did not...I will be a squeaky wheel tomorrow morning...I  have a lot on my plate right now and cannot afford to be depressed or even give this thing more of a try (I think that's what they'll say...) 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page