Hey Mama's, it's May!!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-08-2011, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

After Max's temp went up Friday night to 100.7 we ended up at the clinic on Saturday morning and although he looked good except for the congestion and temp the doctor wanted to do some other tests because of his young age.  I guess it is really easy to miss things like pneumonia or a blood infection at this age..  

So we ended up with a loooooong morning on Saturday involving an x-ray (checking for pneumonia) and a first attempt at a blood draw for a culture and blood count etc.  The nurses at the clinic could not get a vein (they just tried once and then admitted defeat).    So they sent me over the hospital for a draw at their lab.  Luckily their phlebotomist who is a wiz with babies was there and he had the draw in one very quick and easy try!  Yeah him!   All the tests have come back as normal so it really is most likely just a cold virus.  Lots of hubbub for a cold.

After that stressful morning we ended up with a great day of flower planting and SUN (rain was predicted) so I was able to relax and got a tad of sleep last night (in between snorting of mucus).

His fever did not get very high last night and is completely normal now... hoping it stays down this evening so we will be done!

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2011, 02:40 PM

I lost my multi-quotes....grrrr.

Simon was 7 weeks yesterday and it shocks me how fast the time flies!!  He's close to 14lbs according to our scale and a little chubalub.  We need to measure him too because he seems so long!  He barely fits into longer 3month onsies, and is in 3-6 months for the rest of his clothes.  I'm going back to work the week after next and oscillating between fine and having a breakdown over it. I was a wreck with Fiona, which I think was partially due to the fact that she wouldn't take a bottle and screamed all day.  Simon is taking a bottle like a champ though so that's one thing I don't need to worry about.  We're lucky in that we don't have to worry about day care...both kids will be at home with my husband.  

Aliy: Yay Canada...as an ex-pat I weep over my paltry 8 weeks (I'm from Ontario...near Hamilton).

1bighappyfam: I wish I was thinking forward to our next baby!  I would love another but my husband is happy with two and wants to stop.  I think if we were younger (he'll be 40 in June, I'm 37) he'd be more amenable, but he's thinking how old he'll be at college graduations.

jcregan: so scary with the fever!  Glad Max is fine.

Happy Mother's Day Mamas!! 

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

Old 05-08-2011, 03:42 PM

last night DD had her film shoot last night. she did perfect

this morning I woke up to a very smiley baby orngbiggrin.gif I love baby smiles

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
Old 05-09-2011, 09:45 AM

I hope everyone had a nice Mother's Day!  I start pumping today.  Wish me luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayfishgirl View Post

Simon was 7 weeks yesterday and it shocks me how fast the time flies!!  He's close to 14lbs according to our scale and a little chubalub.  We need to measure him too because he seems so long!  He barely fits into longer 3month onsies, and is in 3-6 months for the rest of his clothes.  I'm going back to work the week after next and oscillating between fine and having a breakdown over it. I was a wreck with Fiona, which I think was partially due to the fact that she wouldn't take a bottle and screamed all day.  Simon is taking a bottle like a champ though so that's one thing I don't need to worry about.  We're lucky in that we don't have to worry about day care...both kids will be at home with my husband.  

Sebastian will be 7 weeks old on Thursday.  We weighed him a few days ago and he was at 12 lbs (8 lb, 9 oz. at birth).  He's so cute and Buddha-like.  ;)

I'm STILL waiting to hear from work about whether I should take another 6 weeks maternity leave (unpaid) or if they'll let me come back part-time during those 6 weeks and then go to full-time after that period is over.  I wish they'd decide already!

I'm thinking about a second baby, but not about wanting one right away!  I'm already 34 (I know, that's not THAT old), and maybe we'll adopt a second one after 2 or 3 years?  If this guy treats us well...  :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcregan View Post

After Max's temp went up Friday night to 100.7 we ended up at the clinic on Saturday morning and although he looked good except for the congestion and temp the doctor wanted to do some other tests because of his young age.  I guess it is really easy to miss things like pneumonia or a blood infection at this age..  

So we ended up with a loooooong morning on Saturday involving an x-ray (checking for pneumonia) and a first attempt at a blood draw for a culture and blood count etc.  The nurses at the clinic could not get a vein (they just tried once and then admitted defeat).    So they sent me over the hospital for a draw at their lab.  Luckily their phlebotomist who is a wiz with babies was there and he had the draw in one very quick and easy try!  Yeah him!   All the tests have come back as normal so it really is most likely just a cold virus.  Lots of hubbub for a cold.

After that stressful morning we ended up with a great day of flower planting and SUN (rain was predicted) so I was able to relax and got a tad of sleep last night (in between snorting of mucus).

His fever did not get very high last night and is completely normal now... hoping it stays down this evening so we will be done!

Ugh.  Sorry that's how you spent your Saturday morning.  I'm glad signs are pointing to common cold.  Hope he's doing better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katroshka View Post

So I guess it was just allergies or something. After I tortured Freja with the snot sucker the second time around midday the snot didn't come back and she's been totally fine. Yay! We've been doing pretty well about fending off colds this year and I don't want to start getting them now! I hate summer colds.

It's cooled down a lot and Freja is obviously happy about it, she's super duper calm today and yesterday, and giving out lots and lots of smiles. She's been smiling at us for a couple of weeks now, but every day she's been smiling more, and it makes me so happy!

Glad to hear this, too!  Sick babies are no fun!  Aren't baby smiles wonderful?  We're really enjoying the ones we're getting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayray View Post

We have our first real ped appointment today!  I am anxious to know how much he weighs.  DH graduates this weekend--hooding ceremony on Saturday, departmental graduation on Sunday.  Didn't think far enough ahead to find a sitter for DS1.  Not sure it's a good idea to take a two year old and a newborn to graduation ceremonies, but I might try.  I've never tried to have DS1 sit through anything like that.  And we don't have any fancy electronic devices to occupy him.  Hmmm....  I want to be excited and supportive, but part of me also just wants to stay home!

No sickness here yet, thankfully.  Although I woke up in the middle of the night and smelled cigarette smoke really strongly.  I hate living in an apartment sometimes.  Our downstairs neighbors are really sweet, but they are super chain smokers.

How was the appointment?  And what a busy Saturday for you -- what did you decide to do?

Our first floor neighbor smoked and it bugged me so much, especially during my pregnancy.  Then he moved out, and I was so relieved...until it turned out the new neighbors (very sweet, like yours) must smoke pot at least once a week.  My husband can't smell it as quickly as I can, so maybe I'm super-sensitive, but I find the smell drifting up into our apartment so annoying. 

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
Old 05-09-2011, 10:15 AM

so sorry to hear about sick little ones. my youngest dd has had a cold most of B's life and can't believe he has been spared.

We will be 9 weeks tomorrow. He has been laughing the past couple of days when tickled. love.gif

Started domperidone today. He is a HUGE eater and I want a stash as well. Hoping for tons of milk!! Wish me luck!

Our GREAT #8 due September 2012! joy.gif
Old 05-09-2011, 02:20 PM

Our appointment was fine.  Sam is 11#6oz and over the 100th percentile for length!!!  We have a tall boy.

We decided not to go to the hooding ceremony (me and the kids), which was good.  My DH came home and said that he was so glad that we weren't there.  But we did go to the dept ceremony and it went pretty well.  Sam was awake part of the time, but I found a good place to hold and sway with him.  DS1 was relatively quiet considering we've never asked him to sit still and quiet through anything before.  I was somewhat stocked with snacks and toys he hadn't seen in a while, but I still ended up taking him out and walking around a bit--thankfully after they had called DH's name!  So it went pretty well.  Still a tiring day, but good.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:00 PM

I've had a hard time posting lately.  The girls are spacing feedings farther apart. Yay!!  So I'm trying to get on top of more of the housework.  Also, I've discovered I prefer nursing them one-on-one instead of tandem, which ironically means it is harder for me to type because I don't use the massive nursing pillow.  It is harder for Lucy to stay latched well without me supporting the breast, and sometimes Lily struggles too.  I think my breasts are too heavy for their little jaws.  I have found that there is much less crying when they are on separate schedules, so I can change a diaper at a time or feed singly while the other sleeps, it's just really easy for them to fall into the same schedule.  But I'm feeling much more confident about the twins, the older kids, etc. etc.  Really could use some more sleep, though!  

We have our other double birthdays this month.  My second son (dc #3) turns 9 on the 18th and my second daughter (dc #6) turns 3 on the 19th.  After birthdays every 2-4 weeks since January, we'll then have a break until mid July. LOL  

Along with a few of the other moms here, I've been thinking about another one.  Dh and I have agreed that we'd like to be done, but we are really bad at NFP.  My cycles can be difficult.  I always knew we'd have a tendency toward twins, not just because of my fraternal twin Mom, but because of my cycle weirdness indicating double ovulations.  DC#2 was conceived on a second ovulation just as we were learning NFP and before I knew much about signs...  Anyway, this last pregnancy was so hard and awful, and the Lily's birth was so rough, I almost feel like I need a "do-over".  No mulligans in childbirth, though, is there!  LOL  My mama heart just has a hard time with all that as our last experience.  At the same time, having a baby literally pulled out by your midwife with her arm in there up to the armpit and the EMTs on their way really is enough to make you want to say *enough*.  But, like I said, we're really bad at NFP and not amenable to any other options.

On a completely different topic, does anyone know how to make a little girls hair grow faster?? ROTFLMAO.gif Since my 2yo chopped off her bangs over a month ago it seems like her hair has hardly grown at all.  Like I told my sister, I now understand how some little girls end up with mullets. I've crocheted a selection of really cute hats for her, but she's tired of wearing them.  

I have finally gotten around to scheduling their first well-baby this Friday.  They'll be 10 weeks (can you believe it?).  I can't wait to see how much they are weighing!  Lucy, especially, is getting very chunky and heavy!  Lily is tending after her slimmest older brother, who she favors in appearance, too.  

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:45 PM

So my friend that had the c-section and then was in the hospital for 8 days posted on facebook the other day that breastfeeding is really challenging and that she is going to stick with it but she really understands why people formula feed... I read that and just don't get it at all and was hoping you guys could give me some perspective so I don't feel judgmental about it. The only way this makes sense to me is if you are pumping because you're back to work or whatever- but she isn't.

Personally, I feel like breastfeeding is, first off, one of the most beautiful things in the world, the bonding between infant and mother is so important and great... I really appreciate it and don't understand when others don't. Also, it seems soooo much easier than formula feeding: it's free, always mixed up, the right temp, and ready to go. There are no bottles to wash (unless pumping, of course, but not what we are talking about here). I think feeding an infant is kind of challenging, since they eat so often and spit up and all, but not breastfeeding as opposed to formula.

So I am just totally perplexed with my friend here, who I really wouldn't have thought would feel this way. She is really into organic food and natural stuff, so I guess I just thought she would feel the same way as I do. I am concerned that she is having problems adjusting to motherhood, but am I just missing something?

On a similar note, saw a pic of my cousin's baby eating from a bottle and really hoping it was breastmilk- but he's only like a week old so afraid it is formula. I just feel so strongly about breastfeeding, and especially with having a little one right now I am getting a little emotional about it!

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

Old 05-10-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylilmonkeys View Post

I've had a hard time posting lately.  The girls are spacing feedings farther apart. Yay!!  So I'm trying to get on top of more of the housework.  Also, I've discovered I prefer nursing them one-on-one instead of tandem, which ironically means it is harder for me to type because I don't use the massive nursing pillow.  It is harder for Lucy to stay latched well without me supporting the breast, and sometimes Lily struggles too.  I think my breasts are too heavy for their little jaws.  I have found that there is much less crying when they are on separate schedules, so I can change a diaper at a time or feed singly while the other sleeps, it's just really easy for them to fall into the same schedule.  But I'm feeling much more confident about the twins, the older kids, etc. etc.  Really could use some more sleep, though!  

We have our other double birthdays this month.  My second son (dc #3) turns 9 on the 18th and my second daughter (dc #6) turns 3 on the 19th.  After birthdays every 2-4 weeks since January, we'll then have a break until mid July. LOL  

Along with a few of the other moms here, I've been thinking about another one.  Dh and I have agreed that we'd like to be done, but we are really bad at NFP.  My cycles can be difficult.  I always knew we'd have a tendency toward twins, not just because of my fraternal twin Mom, but because of my cycle weirdness indicating double ovulations.  DC#2 was conceived on a second ovulation just as we were learning NFP and before I knew much about signs...  Anyway, this last pregnancy was so hard and awful, and the Lily's birth was so rough, I almost feel like I need a "do-over".  No mulligans in childbirth, though, is there!  LOL  My mama heart just has a hard time with all that as our last experience.  At the same time, having a baby literally pulled out by your midwife with her arm in there up to the armpit and the EMTs on their way really is enough to make you want to say *enough*.  But, like I said, we're really bad at NFP and not amenable to any other options.

On a completely different topic, does anyone know how to make a little girls hair grow faster?? ROTFLMAO.gif Since my 2yo chopped off her bangs over a month ago it seems like her hair has hardly grown at all.  Like I told my sister, I now understand how some little girls end up with mullets. I've crocheted a selection of really cute hats for her, but she's tired of wearing them.  

I have finally gotten around to scheduling their first well-baby this Friday.  They'll be 10 weeks (can you believe it?).  I can't wait to see how much they are weighing!  Lucy, especially, is getting very chunky and heavy!  Lily is tending after her slimmest older brother, who she favors in appearance, too.  

yeah, we conceived both kids accidentally, so I suppose I'm also fail at NFP, but we really can't handle another one. I had been planning on an IUD, but first time we DTD PP I remembered, my cervix tends to hit, and I'm thinking an IUD would just make it worse, and all the other forms of BC aren't particularly appealing, so I'm kind of up in the air about what to do.

I also understand the feeling of needing a "do-over" DD's birth, while not particularly traumatic in terms of what happened, was traumatic because of how badly the doctor and nurse treated me. Isaac's birth was a very healing experience.

Quote:

So my friend that had the c-section and then was in the hospital for 8 days posted on facebook the other day that breastfeeding is really challenging and that she is going to stick with it but she really understands why people formula feed... I read that and just don't get it at all and was hoping you guys could give me some perspective so I don't feel judgmental about it. The only way this makes sense to me is if you are pumping because you're back to work or whatever- but she isn't.

Personally, I feel like breastfeeding is, first off, one of the most beautiful things in the world, the bonding between infant and mother is so important and great... I really appreciate it and don't understand when others don't. Also, it seems soooo much easier than formula feeding: it's free, always mixed up, the right temp, and ready to go. There are no bottles to wash (unless pumping, of course, but not what we are talking about here). I think feeding an infant is kind of challenging, since they eat so often and spit up and all, but not breastfeeding as opposed to formula.

So I am just totally perplexed with my friend here, who I really wouldn't have thought would feel this way. She is really into organic food and natural stuff, so I guess I just thought she would feel the same way as I do. I am concerned that she is having problems adjusting to motherhood, but am I just missing something?

On a similar note, saw a pic of my cousin's baby eating from a bottle and really hoping it was breastmilk- but he's only like a week old so afraid it is formula. I just feel so strongly about breastfeeding, and especially with having a little one right now I am getting a little emotional about it!

my guess would be she's experiencing problems that she thinks are normal, but are not. I nearly gave up on breastfeeding DD many times because it was so painful. there were a few days when I cried through just about every feeding. turns out she has a posterior tongue-tie. if I wasn't so stubborn, I probably would have given up, I didn't even know about the tongue-tie until a couple months ago, and I'm on the edge of weaning her to just once or twice a day because her latch has deteriorated further. If you can, maybe find out what problems she's having and help her research possible solutions? one of the biggest reasons women switch to formula is because of the lack of support and misinformation for women experiencing problems. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
Old 05-11-2011, 07:32 AM

Also, there are some health reasons that people can't nurse -- there are some medications that are not compatible with breastfeeding, and those reasons can be quite personal and some prefer not to disclose those details. 

Old 05-11-2011, 11:29 AM

Katroshka - With all she's been through, it may be that she's experiencing supply issues.  It does sound like there is something that might not be right about the breastfeeding that she just may need some more support with.  

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:50 PM

I tend to agree with the others. I have PLENTY of bf experience and LOVE it but those experiences have been all over the map and different with each baby. I would encourage you to just put all that emotion into your baby because you can never really know another woman's choices, kwim? BTW formula is not the devil in my eyes. I could care or less how someone feeds their baby so long as the baby is happy and healthy.

HTH

Old 05-11-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissamom View Post

my guess would be she's experiencing problems that she thinks are normal, but are not. I nearly gave up on breastfeeding DD many times because it was so painful. there were a few days when I cried through just about every feeding. turns out she has a posterior tongue-tie. if I wasn't so stubborn, I probably would have given up, I didn't even know about the tongue-tie until a couple months ago, and I'm on the edge of weaning her to just once or twice a day because her latch has deteriorated further. If you can, maybe find out what problems she's having and help her research possible solutions? one of the biggest reasons women switch to formula is because of the lack of support and misinformation for women experiencing problems. 

This.  My friend had the same experience and basically persevered for three months until someone told her that she shouldn't be on the edge of/in tears the whole time.  Her son was also tongue tied and as soon as it was clipped it was like enlightenment.  I hope she's able to overcome her challenges....you're so right about the breastfeeding and incredible bond it brings.

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

Old 05-12-2011, 08:13 AM

I agree that breastfeeding can be very difficult because of lack of support.  I have totally  had those feelings of "I understand why other women formula feed."  I think breastfeeding is absolutely the best and a wonderful experience (and I would encourage anyone I know to do it), but it can also be very challenging--at least I think so--even if you're doing everything "right."  And if you're a teen mother in the middle of nowhere and everyone around you is formula feeding, it would be difficult to persevere in breastfeeding.

P.S.  Not that your friend is a teen mother in the middle of nowhere--I can just think of circumstances that would make bfing more challenging than necessary.  And considering that practically the entire generation before us formula fed, there's not as much support as their ought to be.  Do try to encourage your friend, but I would also encourage you to sympathize with her too.  BFing isn't easy for everyone.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:02 AM

Well, I hope my friend can get some support. She seems to be kind of holing herself up and I don't feel like I'm a close enough friend to push any socialization on her. If/ when she feels up to hanging out I will try to gently suggest La Leche or a lactation consultant if she is still struggling.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:52 AM

I know there was some talk of clothes earlier in this thread.  I am just not sure what to do.  I don't know how long to wait and see if my body goes back to what it used to be.  I basically can't wear any of my old shirts without looking scandalous. winky.gif   Or something...  They are too tight and too short.  Pants I'm okay with--I have a couple sizes, can use a belt, don't mind waiting to see what happens.

I mean, I know my breasts will eventually chill out a little and maybe my pudgy belly will go back in a bit, but I don't know if I want to wear maternity shirts until then!  And maybe all my old shirts are too short and too small anyway. 

Anywho, mostly just venting/pondering.  I would be happy to get rid of a bunch of clothes and simplify my wardrobe, I just don't know if I want to have to do the shopping and spend the money.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:

I know there was some talk of clothes earlier in this thread.  I am just not sure what to do.  I don't know how long to wait and see if my body goes back to what it used to be.  I basically can't wear any of my old shirts without looking scandalous. winky.gif   Or something...  They are too tight and too short.  Pants I'm okay with--I have a couple sizes, can use a belt, don't mind waiting to see what happens.

I mean, I know my breasts will eventually chill out a little and maybe my pudgy belly will go back in a bit, but I don't know if I want to wear maternity shirts until then!  And maybe all my old shirts are too short and too small anyway. 

Anywho, mostly just venting/pondering.  I would be happy to get rid of a bunch of clothes and simplify my wardrobe, I just don't know if I want to have to do the shopping and spend the money.

boob size and belly do go down eventually, but I would count on the breast size being close to where it is now for about a year. I bought some longer plain tee-shirts that work now and won't look too bad when I'm smaller chested. I need to get myself a pair of pants and a pair of shorts or a skirt that fit though. 

Old 05-12-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:

I broke down and bought a pair of jeans (zappos, so not too bad cost-wise) and I feel like a million dollars.  I'm still wearing maternity shirts because of the boob thing but will find some cheap shirts too.  its made a huge difference for my self esteem, and I'm now thinking that spending $150 is going to be money well spent if it means I'm not super down because of my appearance.

Camille~

Old 05-13-2011, 04:40 AM

Quote:

When I was having all those issues when Harper was a week or two old, I totally considered formula feeding, although never said so out loud because I was worried DH would jump at it, just to make me feel better in the moment. Getting BF started was really hard for us. Visiting a lactation consultant was the best thing we did. Now I love to nurse and she is super at it. I would recommend a LC or LLL visit to your friend. If it helps her then I'm sure she will be so thankful afterwards, even if she is miffed by the suggestion. And honestly, it sounds like she is reaching out for help/advice.

Quote:

I'm still wearing all my maternity shirts and I don't plan on giving that up any time soon, mostly because of the belly.

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

Old 05-13-2011, 07:01 AM

Clothes... ugh.   I wear maternity shirts a lot too - belly and boobs make most other shirts not fit right.  I am also looking for some others to buy and wear and am getting a couple nursing shirts since i need new ones anyway.  I also actually figured out I can nurse while DS is in the Sakura Bloom sling.  I NEVER thought I would be able to do that but I can (need two hands though).  So a couple nursing shirts would help that process as well.  

I agree after about a year the boob size is smaller.  I nursed DD for 3 years and it was a gradual process as she nursed less. 

--------

Today is my last day of maternity leave!  Wow!  I am only not freaking out/crying because I teach and this summer am just doing one online class and will not need any daycare for the babe yet.  Phew!  Otherwise I think I would be a mess right now.  I am so fortunate that he won't start daycare until he is 5 months old.  To celebrate the last day my mom is coming down and we and the kids are going shopping and out for lunch.  I plan to stop by Fashion Bug to look for Capris that fit and some long t-shirts (Fashion Bug seems to carry fairly long shirts compared to many other stores!).  

------

I am also thinking I might drive to a store to pick up a NoseFreda snottsucker.  I am sick of trying to use the bulb to only get screaming (but no snot) as a result.  Has anyone else used this?  I am hoping my mom will be willing to try her hand at watching both kids for an hour or so while I do that.  the store is almost 30 minutes away and Max STILL hates being in the car/careseat and I hate to listen to him screaming back there.  My mom was great at taking care of DD and I think she can handle the 2 of them for a short time pretty easily (it helps that DD is pretty easy and helpful).

Have any of you used it?

------------

Lets see... what else?  I don't get a chance to type much so I have to cram everything into one post!

Oh yeah, a friend of mine is sending me her Mei Tei to try.. I am loving my SB sling and I have a Moby I love (but it gets sooo warm to wear).  I think in a couple months the SB sling will start to get difficult as baby gets too heavy for one shoulder.  I seem to have an addiction to various baby carriers so I am super excited to have another to try for free!

----------

For the FB friend with breastfeeding issues.  I would at a minimum send her some links to good resources like the LLL website and/or www.kellymom.com  I would also tell her that even if you don't know her that well she is welcome to message or call you if she wants to vent or get advice on some specific problems (you could send all this in a FB message or something).  I think if she posted about it on FB it is ok to then send some general information her way and let her know if you have also had any problems how you got through it etc.   Sometimes just knowing you are not alone and that there might be help out there is a great thing!

I have ONE friend I know who with her 2nd child is trying to BF for at least 2 years (did 6 months with her first) and although I don't know her that well I at least made sure to let her know I had done 3 years with my first and to give her a book reference (mothering your nursing toddler - loved it!) and mainly just let her know that there is someone else she knows who did extended nursing.  I wish I had known someone!

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:56 AM

It is so hot here I've been living in sundresses. Ones I can easily pull down or to the side. Packing maternity clothes today!! At the very least I won't be needing them until later this year. Pretty sure AF has been here this week. No idea if I will ovulate though.Will check back in Monday with 2.5 month weight check.

Have a good weekend!thumb.gif

Old 05-13-2011, 10:52 AM

Just got my Moby Wrap in the mail, I'm excited. I have a knock-off New Native sling that I like a lot for times when I'm not doing a ton of walking, like restaurants and quick shopping trips, and a handmade Mei Tai that I'm not crazy about. It doesn't get snug around the head area so I can't keep her head on my chest, and just isn't super comfortable. Both are black, so get kind of warm, especially the sling which is unfortunately a cotton/ poly blend (which I didn't realize when I ordered it), it gets ridiculous in the sun. So I ordered the Moby in slate, which is a good color for me and DH. I swear, all we wear is black, brown, and grey, and an occasional dark blue. I plan on getting an Ergo in a couple of months, too, for hot weather and hikes it seems better, but haven't heard great things about it with tiny babies.

We went to this awesome gourmet vegan dinner at a local restaurant last night- all the food was local and organic, and paired with local beers. So cool, and 10% of the proceeds went to a charity that helps settle refugees, so that made it even better. I couldn't believe how packed it was, it was crazy. We had herb-pressed tofu with smoked tempeh, asparagus terrine with a mustard sauce, rosemary roasted macademia nuts, and chocolate cake with coconut sorbet, rhubarb jam, and macademia praline. I loved that the chef went all out to make really fancy dishes, the vegan restaurants around here are great but have more casual food. Some of the fancy restaurants in more expensive areas of the county have vegan nights but they are way out of our price range, so this was super cool.

Haha, when we got home DH found a macademia nut in Freja's diaper... not sure how that happened as she was wearing a onesie under overalls and was inside a sling, but it was pretty funny.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:12 AM

i dont have that brand of snot sucker, but i do have that type. i got it in japan, where they are all like that. it's great, i love it for colds!

i think you'll like the mei tai too!

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

Old 05-13-2011, 12:18 PM

Jcregan- someone was just raving about that sucker over on the life with babe board. HTH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

Old 05-13-2011, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

we've been using that snot sucker, and it does pull the snot out. it doesn't magically get ALL of it, but it gets big gobs, unlike the bulb things. baby doesn't like it while i'm doing it, but gets over it the second i stop.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
Old 05-13-2011, 09:07 PM

Just pumped 3 oz into a bottle for DH to give to baby tomorrow morning. I don't want her first experience with a bottle to be on her first day of daycare in two weeks. Is it odd that I am sad about this? Excited for DH who has waited patiently for this until I was ready, but sad that our BF relationship is changing. greensad.gif

On the upside, once she does bottles well with DH I am going back to yoga class smile.gif

Side note- I have evenflo glass 4 oz bottles. Anyone know of sleeves for these? And what is the best way to warm a glass bottle?

Old 05-13-2011, 10:21 PM

Virginia, I have the Evenflo glass bottles too.  I got them from a friend who assured me they are basically unbreakable (she never had a broken one with her child).  I don't think you need sleeves. My husband has been doing a weekend morning bottle with the baby for a few weeks.  He just sets the bottle in a bowl of warm water for a few minutes to warm it up. He really enjoys having this time with the baby and it has definitely given them some bonding time. I hope it goes well for you!

Old 05-14-2011, 01:50 AM

I guess it is bottle-introducing time. Isaac won't be in daycare, but my friend wants to start working out together, and it's nice to be able to go out without the baby every once in a while. I'm really not ready to leave him for very long yet (I've left him once, for about 45 minutes, while he was fast asleep), but I guess if we don't introduce the bottle now he's not likely to take it well. 

Old 05-14-2011, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

we're going to do the bottle thing this week too. it is VERY sad for me, but necessary.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
Old 05-14-2011, 04:27 PM

Bottling is NOT going well. DH has tried twice today and she took like 3 sips total. We bought some different nipples to try. I have 3 friends coming to visit and lots more locally that we can ask to try feeding her if she won't take from DH. This is why I'm giving her two weeks to learn!

I have a glass bottle with 3 oz in it that I pumped last night. We have warmed it up a bit twice today in warm water and had it out of the fridge for maybe 10 minutes each time. How long would you keep this milk? Can I use it tomorrow? Freeze it? I hate the thought of throwing it away!

User Tag List