Hey Mama's, it's May!!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 100 Old 05-14-2011, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaPOW! View Post

we're going to do the bottle thing this week too. it is VERY sad for me, but necessary.

Oh I shed a tear when we first tried. So sad that I can't stay with my baby and feed her the way she prefers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

#62 of 100 Old 05-14-2011, 03:54 PM

I don't know what I would do with the milk, but if she's drunk out of the bottle at all it should probably be tossed. while learning you may want to stick to just 1/2 oz at a time. and go for a walk while the bottle is being tried, some babies won't take one when mom is in the building. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#63 of 100 Old 05-14-2011, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

well, i'd prolly use it the next day. but that's how i roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia884 View Post

Bottling is NOT going well. DH has tried twice today and she took like 3 sips total. We bought some different nipples to try. I have 3 friends coming to visit and lots more locally that we can ask to try feeding her if she won't take from DH. This is why I'm giving her two weeks to learn!

I have a glass bottle with 3 oz in it that I pumped last night. We have warmed it up a bit twice today in warm water and had it out of the fridge for maybe 10 minutes each time. How long would you keep this milk? Can I use it tomorrow? Freeze it? I hate the thought of throwing it away!

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#64 of 100 Old 05-14-2011, 04:13 PM

I like the Nose Freeda.  As a PP poster said it does actually get some snot out - but not every last bit.  I like it WAY better then the bulb though.  DS doesn't like either of them.

Quote:

Bottling is NOT going well. DH has tried twice today and she took like 3 sips total. We bought some different nipples to try. I have 3 friends coming to visit and lots more locally that we can ask to try feeding her if she won't take from DH. This is why I'm giving her two weeks to learn!

I have a glass bottle with 3 oz in it that I pumped last night. We have warmed it up a bit twice today in warm water and had it out of the fridge for maybe 10 minutes each time. How long would you keep this milk? Can I use it tomorrow? Freeze it? I hate the thought of throwing it away!

Don't despair over a few sips!  I learned too late that that is actually a good sign.  My first would not take a bottle.  She once had a few sips from one kind but then I went and over a few weeks tried EVERYTHING.  Later after doing a bit more reading on kellymom.com and other places I figured out that this probably messed her up.  I would strongly advice you pick one thing that seems to have potential and stick with that.  There are good tips on kellymom.com.     I found it sooo hard to fight that urge to find the "perfect thing" or the "one" that would work perfectly etc.  There definately are differences and some babies prefer some over others but don't get to crazy with  it.  Pick the one that seems ok or least bad and work on that.

Little Max took a bottle right away (we started early given our experience with DD) and I almost fainted... after soooo many troubles with DD - it was not us after all - just her!    

Good luck!

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#65 of 100 Old 05-14-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:

http://www.llli.org/faq/milkstorage.html

i would probably keep the milk to try to use tomorrow.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#66 of 100 Old 05-15-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:

Try not to worry, and keep trying.  Fiona would not take a bottle, which caused a lot of stress and difficulty when I went back to work.  Because of that, we started trying with Simon when he was  three weeks and he seems to be happy with it.  I nearly passed out, and it was huge weight lifted.  The fact that she's even trying seems to be a good thing...Fiona just screamed and got progressively more aggitated.

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#67 of 100 Old 05-15-2011, 08:17 PM

Katroshka, I'm not wholly convinced of the magical properties of breastmilk.  All three of my kids have had all kinds of food sensitivities through my milk, bloody poo, painful poo, horrible gas, etc.  Mucousy poops until weaned, no matter what I do to my diet.  And the first two got hypoallergenic formula because it was getting progressively worse no matter what I did.  And they're fine.  Super healthy.  Plenty of people were formula fed and end up fine.  It was so hard for me with both kids to give them formula, and I beat myself up about it for weeks and months.

I like breastfeeding, too.  I bond with the baby.  It's easier and cheaper.  It allegedly is good for her despite all of her belly issues.  But everyone's experience is different.  With #1, I had a persistent yeast infection in my nipples, the baby had thrush, I got mastitis in both boobs and a crazy fever from it, my nipples bled . . . it's not easy, even with good guidance - I had a fantastic LC.  It's not rainbows and unicorns for everyone.  I hope I can feed this one exclusively from the breast until weaned - no bottles, no formula, no pumping.  But, we'll see. 

MLM, I thought this birth (a NFP fail) would be healing - my chance to have a healthy pregnancy and natural childbirth - but it was worse than the other two put together.  There are no guarantees.

I haven't pumped a bottle.  This is the first time I don't have to go to work, and I feel for all you mamas!  I was always running around in the early weeks, trying to build up a freezer stash for when I went back to work.  I think I've done a better job of controlling oversupply issues because I'm not pumping.  My letdown is still crazy, though!  Anyway, I hope your returns to work are better than you anticipate, and that your baby is happy all day, but even happier to see you.

I think that's what I miss about work - spending time with my kids was so enchanting.  Being with them at the end of the day was something I looked forward to.  Now that I'm at home, I can hardly make it to the end of the day.  My older ones are great with the baby, but DS has suddenly become THREE even though he's 3.5yo.  He's hitting me and tantruming.  It's tiring.

Molly is 2 months and 5 days.  She was 10lb, 11 oz on Thursday.  She's really strong and determined, but such a sweet baby.  I feel like her head is kind of flat because she sleeps really well on her back and she spends a lot of time in the carseat in the car chasing the other two around.

I had some moments of grief about having my tubes tied, but I think it was a good decision for us.  I think after the first two, I was contemplating another.  Now, I'm just excited to see them all grow up.  I've been noticing this last week how she is a baby, not a newborn, you know?  She's lost that newborn feel.  She doesn't sleep much during the day anymore. 

I'm on the wrong page to see, but is it Sara that's doing a 12-hour car trip?  BRAVE LADY!  Hope it went really well for you. 

Glad to see you're all doing so well.  My three are sleeping, so I'm going to work on thank you notes!  I'm so behind.  Take care!

#68 of 100 Old 05-16-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyss View Post

I've been noticing this last week how she is a baby, not a newborn, you know?  She's lost that newborn feel.  

Simon is a baby now too...not a newborn.  I find it so bittersweet....I can't wait to see who he will be and all the diffierent stages, but I don't want him to change either.  This is my first day back at work, and I've cried three times (and am destined for more).  The funny thing is that both kids seem to be doing okay even though it was a rough departure.  I hope that it ends up being a rougher day for me than for them.  The fact that they're at home with my husband and that I'll be working reduced hours this weeks are the only things keeping me from having a total breakdown. 

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#69 of 100 Old 05-16-2011, 10:02 AM

we're sick greensad.gif DD and I both came down with colds yesterday, she was up three times last night with a fever. I'm really hoping Isaac doesn't catch it.

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#70 of 100 Old 05-16-2011, 03:22 PM

Well at one day shy of 10 weeks we weighed 12 1/2 lbs. and 23 1/2". Perfect check-up.

I still feel like he is a newborn. He only sleeps and eats and doesn't spend very long at all awake. Wished he would nurse better at night... he is so sleepy and lazy. I think he is trying to drop nighttime feedings because he just wants to nuzzle and smell...

My heart goes out to the back-to-work moms and sick babies!

Our GREAT #8 due September 2012! joy.gif
#71 of 100 Old 05-16-2011, 04:50 PM

That was me on the giant road trip. It was a great success! Harper dictated our stops for the most part, but she was able to go 2.5/3 hours in between stops. We saw family and friends, got incredible seats for a st Louis cardinals game (like best seats in the house), took her to a beer festival. We did so much and had a great time. I am glad to be home though!

She is definite not a newborn anymore. She has cut her feedings way down; just 5/10 minutes here and there. Nighttime is still constant, tho. I don't mind this arrangement, as it will maybe be for the best when she's at daycare. She is alert a lot and not as fussy. What do you all do with your babies during the day? How do you entertain them and yourselves now that they aren't as sleepy and cranky?

We have her baptism on Sunday. Our dear friend is coming into town Wednesday through Monday, and then two more friends visit Monday through Thursday. Busy weeks ahead!

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

#72 of 100 Old 05-16-2011, 04:51 PM

And I hope all of you who are struggling with sickness find relief soon. That can not be enjoyable for anyone involved.

#73 of 100 Old 05-16-2011, 06:23 PM

Whew!  I had a long weekend -- a good friend was in town and it really messed with both my mood and my routine (such as it is).  I had been pumping once a day, but didn't find time/energy while she was staying with us.  These are my last two weeks before going back to work (4 weeks part time, then back to 30+ hours by the end of June). I think my husband will try giving Sebastian his first bottle tomorrow.  I've been reading lots of tips online about bottle feeding, pumping, etc.

Crayfishgirl, I really feel for you.  That's me in two weeks.  Hugs.

And I'm sorry for those of you who are sick or have sick kids!

Regarding formula, which was being discussed above, I was formula fed and am fine!  I had a very healthy childhood, am still really healthy, and don't feel I suffered by not being breastfed.  I do feel sorry for my mom, who thought she must be too flat-chested, so didn't even try (and no one told her differently!).  So, the "worst case scenario" of needing to supplement with formula doesn't sound bad to me.  I do hope to be able to keep breastfeeding, though.

I've been really itchy the past few days (wish I could blame this on this postpartum period), and think I'm starting to lose a lot of that "extra" hair I picked up during pregnancy (which I do blame on it!).  I'm even finding stray hairs in diapers!  ;)  I had my 6-week postpartum checkup last week and the midwife was really happy with my recovery.  I'm on the mini-pill now for BCP and not happy about it, but I wasn't interested in an IUD.  I'm not sure why hormones struck me as "better" than implantation. 

Virginia884, glad the road trip went well!

Sebastian is 7 1/2 weeks old and about 13 lbs (he was 12 lb 14 oz on Wednesday).  He's still having some grunty-crying spells when he needs to poop.  It's worst in the early morning, and better later in the day.  I wonder why!  We keep him upright (or on a slant) as much as possible, which seems to make him more comfortable.  I love his quiet, alert times and just stare into his face.  He gets fussy but not inconsolable, and sometimes just needs a change of scenery.  He loves light -- lighting fixtures, skylights, Christmas lights, and windows.  I'm trying to treasure this squishy baby stage while also wanting to have him be more interactive and playful.

My husband is going out of town Thursday evening through Monday.  Yikes! I half want to go visit my mom while he's gone, but the other half of me wants to see how I fare alone! 

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#74 of 100 Old 05-17-2011, 09:47 AM

I just wanted to add the discussion about BC. I have used FAM for a while, for both pregnancy and avoiding and I am really happy with it. All but my first (and she was before I even knew what FAM was shy.gif) have been planned pregnancies, with almost 2 years of cycles between each one. i highly reccomend it. i know some pp had expressed concern about using it to avoid, but it's quite effective when done properly. Toni Weschler's, Taking charge of your fertility is an awesome book for those who have not read it!

I have tried many forms of chem bc, and i hated it. there's just no reason to be unhappy with your bc, you know?

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#75 of 100 Old 05-17-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana731 View Post

I just wanted to add the discussion about BC. I have used FAM for a while, for both pregnancy and avoiding and I am really happy with it. All but my first (and she was before I even knew what FAM was shy.gif) have been planned pregnancies, with almost 2 years of cycles between each one. i highly reccomend it. i know some pp had expressed concern about using it to avoid, but it's quite effective when done properly. Toni Weschler's, Taking charge of your fertility is an awesome book for those who have not read it!

I have tried many forms of chem bc, and i hated it. there's just no reason to be unhappy with your bc, you know?

I have a question for you Bananna.  I had been tracking my temps and ovulation signs to acheive pregnancy since we decided to start our family, and admittedly I glossed over the pregnancy prevention chapter of TCOYF.  Without being too TMI though, I find I'm most in the mood to be intimate leading up to and during ovulation.  With a 2 year old, a newborn, and being back at work I'm usually too tired for anything and worried that if I have to avoid during this period then we'd never be intimate!  I'm on the fence about an IUD, and have been using condoms (which I don't like...DH is okay with them).

Camille~

#76 of 100 Old 05-17-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayfishgirl View Post

I have a question for you Bananna.  I had been tracking my temps and ovulation signs to acheive pregnancy since we decided to start our family, and admittedly I glossed over the pregnancy prevention chapter of TCOYF.  Without being too TMI though, I find I'm most in the mood to be intimate leading up to and during ovulation.  With a 2 year old, a newborn, and being back at work I'm usually too tired for anything and worried that if I have to avoid during this period then we'd never be intimate!  I'm on the fence about an IUD, and have been using condoms (which I don't like...DH is okay with them).

that's our issue with FAM, we tried using condoms in between pregnancies, but couldn't stand them, especially because I can't use water-based lubes.

today is DD's second birthday. we're still sick though, so we're not really celebrating today. last night was my turn to be up with a fever, and now I've lost my voice. 

#77 of 100 Old 05-17-2011, 12:17 PM

what a whirl wind weekend. we went on a trip which is about a 4 hour dirve. and were away for 5 days. it was a wedding/ show off the baby visit. so busy. also DH did a tree trimming job for my grandparents which involved him being 40 feet in the air for two days. it was a very busy weekend

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#78 of 100 Old 05-17-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayfishgirl View Post

I hear that! When you are fertile according to FAM rules you have to avoid or use a method of bc. We use lambskin ( I know, not very nice for the lambies greensad.gif ) which is not bad, imo. there is also another kind, i think made from something artifical (polyurethene?), but not latex. I have a slight prefrence for the lambkin, dh for the latter. But there is a quite a bit of sensitity with both, they are very thin. Neither has spermicide, just lube. And I know that the lamb and possibly the other are not for disease prevention, just pregnancy prevention.

there's always diaphragms and such too. somewhere in the book she even has a comparrison chart with the efficacies of various methods of bc. if you still have her book, check that part out.

if you're into it, there are a bunch of natural spermicides out there too, that you could use with something like a diaphragm, or maybe alone. I don't have any personal experience with using them, but if you google "natural spemicides" or even look on the fertility boards here you can find recipes.

I have a couple friends who have gotten IUDs. No one I know has been happy with the copper, but I've heard good reports on the mirena.

you know about LAM, right? being seperated by work might effect it, though. but you would best how the separation affects your cycle from your experience with your first lo. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissamom View Post

that's our issue with FAM, we tried using condoms in between pregnancies, but couldn't stand them, especially because I can't use water-based lubes.

today is DD's second birthday. we're still sick though, so we're not really celebrating today. last night was my turn to be up with a fever, and now I've lost my voice. 

I'll echo the same thing I said above with the condoms, if you haven't tried those. They are far superior to the condoms I used pre-marriage winky.gif. they also make non-lubed condoms. maybe one of those with something like coconut oil for lubricant might be better for you?

#79 of 100 Old 05-17-2011, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

amazing! geo took a bottle today and drank 2oz! i had NO IDEA that it could possibly go so well. i figured it would take weeks and weeks to get to that point. so, yay! i'm going to get a night out early next month and he'll be all set for when i go back to work. and, i can go to the gym and spend time one on one with the older son and etc etc. woot!

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#80 of 100 Old 05-17-2011, 04:54 PM

Sebastian took his first bottle today, too!  After a couple of false starts, my husband put the baby in the bouncy Bjorn chair and I hid around the corner.  The kid drank all 2 oz. we'd put in the bottle and asked for more.  I gave him the breast at that point (don't want to use up all of my expressed milk).   I only pumped 2 1/2 oz. today.  Maybe I'd better start pumping twice a day... 

I read that when I'm not at work he only needs to get 2-3 bottles a week to keep him in the habit of taking the bottle, so that's my plan for the next two weeks.

#81 of 100 Old 05-17-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:

I'll echo the same thing I said above with the condoms, if you haven't tried those. They are far superior to the condoms I used pre-marriage winky.gif. they also make non-lubed condoms. maybe one of those with something like coconut oil for lubricant might be better for you?

I don't know about the other types, but I know with latex condoms oil-based lubricants make them completely ineffective. one other major problem we had with condoms, they wouldn't stay on, and that just makes them useless and a pain.

Isaac took 1/2 oz from his bottle. I think he would have taken more, but he's in a snacky mood.  

#82 of 100 Old 05-17-2011, 06:38 PM

Harper took a bottle today too! And then went happily back to the boob. We have several friends coming to visit in the next two weeks; I'm sure they will want to feed her. That will help prepare her for different people feeding her at daycare. Now that I know she can take a bottle I am feeling less anxious about daycare.

Sara, I hear you about getting to the gym- I can't wait to go to yoga class again!

#83 of 100 Old 05-19-2011, 06:34 PM

Last bottle we thought this was a funny fluke, but it worked again today...

When she wouldn't take a bottle I made sucking/slurping noises at her (took a few minutes) and then she sucked down the whole thing herself. Drank 1 oz today!

#84 of 100 Old 05-22-2011, 08:06 PM

A- with her at your work, will you be able to nurse her there too, or is it going to be more like 9-5 daycare for her?

#85 of 100 Old 05-24-2011, 04:21 AM

Quote:

A- with her at your work, will you be able to nurse her there too, or is it going to be more like 9-5 daycare for her?

Technically I could and I plan to at the start and end of work, but otherwise my job is too hectic for any sort of reliability. I want her teachers to be able to feed her. Plus I don't see my boss liking that too much.

#86 of 100 Old 05-25-2011, 04:32 AM

Phew!  Long weekend!  DD has her 5th birthday Monday along with her dance recital.  Her party was on Sunday and we started that day with her having unexplained pain in her abdomen... something totally unlike her.  Kept complaining of it so I took her to urgent care cause I was worried about her appendix.  Was not that, they did a blood test and urine test - both fine.. and after about 1.5 hours there she felt better... so it was back home to host too many family members in our tiny house!  What a whirlwind!

DS is smiling so much more now.  DH FINALLY got him to smile for him - even got a bit of a laugh I think.  I am posting a grin on the picture thread.

Max just seems so big and strong etc. for his age.  At about 11 weeks I am looking at needing to retire some of the 3-month sized clothes within a week or so!!  Time to hit some garage sales for 6-9 month summer stuff I think.

I love how personalities start to show up now.  What signs of this are you guys seeing?

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#87 of 100 Old 05-25-2011, 12:33 PM

penny seemed suspicious of everything, very wary. she looked at us, especially dad, like we might want to eat her most of the time! but now she seems amused by anything we say to her, maybe she'll have a good sense of humor! and she's got a temper too. she has this vibrating seat we put her in when we're eating or cooking and she really likes it. if you take her out before she's ready, she starts screaming this angry loud protest cry until you put her back in!

#88 of 100 Old 05-25-2011, 01:30 PM

Sebastian loves to nurse, and to hold on to a hank of my hair while doing so.  He is also particular about how he likes to be held -- upright, unless nursing.  He enjoys looking up and throwing his head back -- at lights, skylights, trees, etc. This may all be typical baby stuff, but I'm enjoying it.

I go back to work on Tuesday.  I went in for 2 1/2 hours today and he wasn't to pleased to be offered a bottle while I was gone.  Hope he gets better with that.

#89 of 100 Old 05-26-2011, 05:57 AM

Chiara is very mellow.  She loves music and being sung to.  She likes being around people, even lots of them, even new ones, she'll look around with curiosity and move her arms and feet. Of course, she loves to be held and snuggled.  She also likes to grab my hair and hang onto it.  She is starting to be amused by little rhymes and finger/toe plays. She's a champion sleeper usually sleeping from about 9 to 5ish but during the day her favorite place to nap besides the carrier. She also loves tubbie time (singing Rubber Duckie is a favorite) and watching her mobile and is interested in our doggie. She just turned 11 weeks.  She is such a sweet little pumpkin dumpling and we love her very much!

#90 of 100 Old 05-26-2011, 05:52 PM

Harper smiles all the time now. The best is when she smiles and scrunches her face so much that her eyes close. So cute!

She loves to sit on our hands against our chests facing out (like she's sitting on a bench). She is very alert and aware of everything.

Harper STTN for the first time on Tues night. 7p-6a!!! Then 7p-5a when i had to wake her up this morning. Hoping this sticks.

I am loving baby-hood so much more than newborn-ness.

I go back to work on Tues, too. I visited work today (I work at the daycare) and her teachers were really interested in her cloth diapers. There is a new teacher in her room who was hired while I was on leave. She seems very loving and attentive. Harper also drank from a bottle again, so I am less nervous about her starting there.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page