Hey Mama's, it's May!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 100 Old 05-01-2011, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

wow, i can NOT believe that some of you have 2+ month olds!!! amazing!!

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 100 Old 05-01-2011, 08:58 PM

I know Ceal is 8 weeks old tomorrow. I can't believe how fast time flies. we have another check up with the midwives on tuesday.

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#3 of 100 Old 05-02-2011, 06:04 AM

wow - time flies when you are having fun and loosing sleep!

Max is almost 8 weeks and has gained more then 4 pounds already - he is over 13 pounds now!  Over easter weekend I officially retired all of his 0-3 month clothes and moved into 3-6 month.  Even some of these don't have much extra room (he has a looong torso).  I bought a bunch of cute rompers for summer but here in MN we are back in the 30s and 40s and have not had a ton of great weather days yet.  I am starting to think he might outgrow the rompers before it is warm enough to wear them (next time I will leave the tags on and wait to wash them!).

I feel like over 2 months we have pretty much gotten into the swing of things with 2 kids.  He wakes up some at night but less then DD did and we have side laying nursing down (although I usually spray all over him when we do this at night cause I am not paying attention and he lets go alot).  If only he would quiet down a bit while sleeping from 3am on - that would be nice!!

He is starting to make new vowel sounds now and occasionally smiling (not much yet though) and really seeming so much more alert and aware every week.  I feel like we are moving to the next stage of baby-hood and I am trying to remember and enjoy these last moments of the early/newborn stage.

Any of you going back to work soon?  I am on leave until May 13th and then teaching half time over the summer (I teach at a community college).  I am doing 1 online only class so I can basically work in the evenings and won't have the kids in daycare at all this summer.

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#4 of 100 Old 05-02-2011, 08:35 AM

I need to figure out when I'm going back to work.  I've been putting it off because I'm sad about the idea of seeing Sebastian less during the day.  :(  I think this is also why I'm putting off looking for child care to help my husband out (and I might just make it his job to find someone!). 

Seb will be 6 weeks old on Thursday.  The past week we started seeing some serious "witching hour" fussiness from roughly 5-9 pm or so.  It's not every night, and sometimes we can swaddle him and get him to nap, but it's heartbreaking to not be able to calm him more easily.  We're trying lots of things.  I just have to keep reminding myself that it's not colic (because it isn't consistent or inconsolable enough to work with the definition of colic I've read), but it's still really hard to deal with.  In general, he's just awake and fussy more often throughout the day.

Our nights aren't too bad -- I think this is because we're co-sleeping and because he doesn't wake us until he's hungry.  But he's only going 1-2 hours in between getting fed or changed.  I calculated that he slept 9 hours last night, over the course of about 13 hours, but that I only got 6 hours of sleep (interrupted) because he started evening sleeping/took a long nap 3 hours earlier than I did.

I think we saw the first "real" smiles during week 5 and we also made it outside a lot more, both of which have made me feel better.  We've been to a local "new parents" group twice, so I know I'm not alone. 

He's currently napping on his stomach next to me.  I've started letting him nap like that (under my watch) a couple of times a day.  He sleeps so much better that I think the benefits have pushed me past compliance with the scariness of the "back to sleep" campaign's warnings.

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#5 of 100 Old 05-02-2011, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

geo is the baby of our group of baby's, not even 3 weeks old yet lol. he's getting started early on the witching hour stuff. luckily, it is literally only about an hour of fussiness between the hours of 5-9pm. some days i have to hold him all day, other days i seem to be able to put him down for longer. he sleeps SO WELL at night, it is unbelievable. and such a difference from my first son, who nursed all night long. i think geo wakes up 2-3 times to eat, but i'm not positive. i'm curious what the coming months have in store for us.

i'm due to start work again at the end of july. i've got childcare lined up beginning in OCTOBER!!!! EFF!!! scrambling to find coverage before then, and it's complicated by the fact that my son is out of school for a part of the time, and also enrolled in a social circle/therapy program a part of the time, and ugh. i frickin' hate childcare. it's the bane of my existence. my midwife is contemplating watching geo for me during the time i need care, and i have a friend who is willing to do it. not sure what will end up happening. and not sure at all who is going to watch my 6 year old

#6 of 100 Old 05-02-2011, 11:27 AM

Wow, ladies, I can't imagine how stressful it must be to be worrying about going back to work and childcare. I am feeling very lucky to be able to put off going back to school until next January! I remember trying to get childcare for my two older girls when they were 3 and 4, how hard it was both logistically and emotionally. My biggest worry in that arena right now is that my daughters go to this really excellent charter school that is super hard to get into, it's German immersion and has sibling and German language speaker priority, so after those spots were given up this year there were only 8 spots open for the lottery, and something like 300 applicants. Unfortunately my middle daughter will be starting high school the same year that Freja will start kindergarten, so she won't get the sibling priority. I am thinking about trying to get on the waiting list at a German immersion preschool that takes 2-5 year olds so that she can get the language priority... the waiting list there is because so many people do this to get into the elementary school! it feels so ridiculous to be thinking about all this with a 7 week old, but there are so few good schools here and we really love this one.

Freja is seeming so much older in the last week. She can hold her head up for long periods of time, loves standing up and "walking" (with someone keeping her balanced), smiles more and more at us, and is super chatty.

Here's something I think is really strange: last week Freja stopped peeing while she is sleeping. At first I kind of freaked out, but she completely soaks her diaper within a few minutes of waking up, and wets plenty of diaper all day, but not when she naps or at all at night. I figure it should help keep diaper rash at bay if it continues, and who knows, maybe potty training will be easier.

We spent about 6 hours at the beach on Saturday afternoon/ evening and had a bonfire, everyone was amazed that Freja didn't cry at all the whole time, but that's how she always is, just a very calm baby. I really hope the next one is this easy, because this is great! I get all the fun parts of having a baby, and hardly any of the hard parts, I'm just having such a great time!

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

#7 of 100 Old 05-02-2011, 12:25 PM

Isaac is 5 and a half weeks. the combination of a very strong let-down and Isaac still having some suck/latch issues means he swallows a lot of air. I end up burping him 3-4 times in a typical feeding. other than that he's a pretty easy baby, right now he's napping in his bouncer. 

our house got to the point where we decided we needed help. so saturday we had a friend come over who is an absolute freak when it comes to cleaning (I mean that in a good way, she's very efficient and very thourogh), and had DD go to grandma's house for the day, and spent hours getting things in better shape. we decided on a new system for DD's toys. all of them live in her room, and she has a basket she puts three into in the morning to bring down to the living-room, where we spend most of our time, and that's what she gets to play with for the day, rather than having half her toys spread across the living-room floor. 

I think both kids may be having problems if I eat cabbage, DD threw up twice this morning. 

I need to decide if we're doing a birthday party for DD, since her birthday is the 17th. she only has one kid friend, so I'm not sure who would be invited and since we live in an apartment I'm not sure where we would have it. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#8 of 100 Old 05-02-2011, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

it's totally stressful. it's plagued the last 3-4 years of my life, and just when my kid is in school and i don't have to worry about it anymore... well, there ya go! lol

a bonfire at the beach sounds So Dang Fun!!!!! we have our first camping trip scheduled mid-next month. yay! so glad i went ahead and booked it, not knowing if i'd feel up to it. of COURSE i want to escape the house!!! of COURSE i want to run away some where just our little family unit. so excited.

total aside, but the only other freja that i know is also very mellow :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katroshka View Post

Wow, ladies, I can't imagine how stressful it must be to be worrying about going back to work and childcare. I am feeling very lucky to be able to put off going back to school until next January! I remember trying to get childcare for my two older girls when they were 3 and 4, how hard it was both logistically and emotionally. My biggest worry in that arena right now is that my daughters go to this really excellent charter school that is super hard to get into, it's German immersion and has sibling and German language speaker priority, so after those spots were given up this year there were only 8 spots open for the lottery, and something like 300 applicants. Unfortunately my middle daughter will be starting high school the same year that Freja will start kindergarten, so she won't get the sibling priority. I am thinking about trying to get on the waiting list at a German immersion preschool that takes 2-5 year olds so that she can get the language priority... the waiting list there is because so many people do this to get into the elementary school! it feels so ridiculous to be thinking about all this with a 7 week old, but there are so few good schools here and we really love this one.

Freja is seeming so much older in the last week. She can hold her head up for long periods of time, loves standing up and "walking" (with someone keeping her balanced), smiles more and more at us, and is super chatty.

Here's something I think is really strange: last week Freja stopped peeing while she is sleeping. At first I kind of freaked out, but she completely soaks her diaper within a few minutes of waking up, and wets plenty of diaper all day, but not when she naps or at all at night. I figure it should help keep diaper rash at bay if it continues, and who knows, maybe potty training will be easier.

We spent about 6 hours at the beach on Saturday afternoon/ evening and had a bonfire, everyone was amazed that Freja didn't cry at all the whole time, but that's how she always is, just a very calm baby. I really hope the next one is this easy, because this is great! I get all the fun parts of having a baby, and hardly any of the hard parts, I'm just having such a great time!

#9 of 100 Old 05-03-2011, 10:59 AM

kaPOW, that is so funny about the other Freja you know.... I had never heard the name before, except in Wagner's "Das Rheingold", when I picked it, but since then people keep telling us they know another Freja (some in Germany, since we know so many German families because of the school), we've heard people calling out to Frejas twice, and saw a Masterpiece Theater production ("Any Human Heart", it's so good and I believe it's on Netflix Instant Play, I highly recommend it) that had a main character named Freya. My other two daughters have more unusual names so it seems really weird to us.

We have a camping trip planned for August, it's an annual thing for us. We drive up the coast, usually to north of SF but this time only so far as Santa Cruz because I figured poor Freja wouldn't want to spend so much time in the car. So far she loves riding in the car, but that may change. I am totally getting the camping itch though, so I think we will be going sooner than that, maybe in a month or so. Problem here is that most of the nice campgrounds are in the mountains or deserts. It's still really cold in the mountains (like upper 30s) at night, and the deserts are already way too hot during the day. So I'm watching the weather closely and hoping we can go soon. I got a hand me down baby snow suit so I think the 40's at night wouldn't be too bad. I guess I went camping for the first time when I was 6 weeks old, but I was born in early September so I'm sure it was still nice and warm by then in central CA, where I was born.

MarissaMom, I'm sure for a two year old it would be great fun to help decorate some cupcakes with her little friend and just have you all sing happy birthday and blow out some candles! No need for a big to-do, and your apartment (or a park, if the weather is nice) would be fine.

#10 of 100 Old 05-03-2011, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

we're totally cheating and going to a place that has yurts. :D i am anxious to try out our new 4 person (!!!) backpacking tent that i bought last year, but i'm not *that* curious. lol we'll use it soon enough.

#11 of 100 Old 05-03-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:

MarissaMom, I'm sure for a two year old it would be great fun to help decorate some cupcakes with her little friend and just have you all sing happy birthday and blow out some candles! No need for a big to-do, and your apartment (or a park, if the weather is nice) would be fine.

her friend is only 10 months, so I don't think he'll be decorating cupcakes, but I think just doing a special playdate is a great idea, and no matter what there will be a special meal at my mom's house, with cake and ice cream and presents, and my mom, my stepdad, at least two of my sisters, my older sister's boyfriend, my dad, and his girlfriend. 

on unusual names, I've only heard of one other person with DD's first name, and one person with her middle name, aside from the family members she's named after. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#12 of 100 Old 05-03-2011, 01:48 PM

8 weeks today and just loving every minute. Starting to swat at the toys on his playmat and is a smily smily fella. So sweet and docile. Total 180 from his younger sisters. We've been doing lots of traveling and he is perfect every time. His 22m old sister - not so much. lol The next trip we take she is staying with g-ma!!

Not sure about weight but we had been gaining roughly a pound a week. Definitely getting some chubs and he's been forced to wear 3-6m because it has been so hot and I didn't buy summer clothes in 0-3. They are big but fine. His newborn sposoeasy diapers are getting short on the rise but newborn prefolds and covers are fine.

That's about it for our update. We are just over the moon and look forward to the next one! joy.gif

Our GREAT #8 due September 2012! joy.gif
#13 of 100 Old 05-03-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcregan View Post

I feel like over 2 months we have pretty much gotten into the swing of things with 2 kids.  He wakes up some at night but less then DD did and we have side laying nursing down (although I usually spray all over him when we do this at night cause I am not paying attention and he lets go alot).  If only he would quiet down a bit while sleeping from 3am on - that would be nice!!

Harper is such a grunty baby from 4/5am on. And I am a light sleeper so it's not really a good combo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

I need to figure out when I'm going back to work.  I've been putting it off because I'm sad about the idea of seeing Sebastian less during the day.  :(  I think this is also why I'm putting off looking for child care to help my husband out (and I might just make it his job to find someone!). 

I have been stressing, crying, and just generally freaking out about Harper going to daycare. Sad thing is, I work as an administrator at the dang place! We have great teachers, high standards, etc., etc. I would recommend our place to anyone. But my heart just breaks at the thought of her spending the majority of her day with people other than me, especially since we nurse so much and have been together basically every minute she's been alive! I go back in 4 weeks and am dreading it.

Quote:

This is Harper, too. She won't pee until about 5am. So I have gotten lazy and stopped attempting to change her when she wakes up in the middle of the night. Bad mom??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marissamom View Post

our house got to the point where we decided we needed help. so saturday we had a friend come over who is an absolute freak when it comes to cleaning (I mean that in a good way, she's very efficient and very thourogh), and had DD go to grandma's house for the day, and spent hours getting things in better shape. we decided on a new system for DD's toys. all of them live in her room, and she has a basket she puts three into in the morning to bring down to the living-room, where we spend most of our time, and that's what she gets to play with for the day, rather than having half her toys spread across the living-room floor. 

You are very lucky to have such a helpful friend! 

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaPOW! View Post

we're totally cheating and going to a place that has yurts. :D i am anxious to try out our new 4 person (!!!) backpacking tent that i bought last year, but i'm not *that* curious. lol we'll use it soon enough.

In college I was obsessed with both yurts and geodesic domes and would love to camp in a yurt. Have fun and share photos when you get back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1bighappyfam View Post

That's about it for our update. We are just over the moon and look forward to the next one! joy.gif

Next one? jaw2.gif Seriously? Already??

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

#14 of 100 Old 05-03-2011, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

the return to work totally broke me with my first son. i was a mess. and that was leaving him with grandparents. this time i'll be using daycare, and am SO scared. i really, really hope it's easier with the second child, although i really can't see how it will be. still, it HAS to be. Must be. Really needs to be. sob. i spend a good amount of time in my postpartum period thinking about getting pregnant again. i think that for me it's just a really sudden shift, going from nearly a year of being pregnant to -WHAM- not pregnant. no time to get used to the change or adjust at all. so, i already miss being pregnant and i'm already thinking about doing it again. well, that and the fact that i was really hoping for a girl both times. so, seeing the penis i immediately start contemplating life without a girl versus getting pregnant again. anyway, i expect the desire to pass pretty quick. the sooner the better, so that i can really think about whether or not i want to open up my uterus again.

#15 of 100 Old 05-03-2011, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

bah. that should have been two paragraphs. the editor is really irritating me lately.

#16 of 100 Old 05-03-2011, 08:37 PM

Our sweet Chiara is 8 weeks old today, I can't believe it!  She's getting so alert, bright eyed and smiley.  She's especially smiley when she first wakes up.  She loves her mobile and the baby gym and loves it when I wear her in the babyhawk mai tai. She's such a sweet gentle little soul, we all just adore her!  We are so lucky to have her!  She was 12.5 lb when I weighed her at my own 6 week follow up so she's growing quickly, some of her 3 mo. stuff seems too small. My boys seem sinewy as babes in comparison to her adorable plump baby legs, it's so cute. I too am dealing with the back to work thing...Virginia884 at least you can peek in on her during the day? The home daycare I had secured just fell through this week so am going through that exercise again...I love reading about the babies and have been lurking more and posting less but thinking of you all with your little ones...I enjoyed seeing the pictures too. Take care everyone. 

#17 of 100 Old 05-03-2011, 10:00 PM

oh geez i can't even think about going back to work.. thankfully I don't have to. I have leave until January ( yay cananda ! )and then i hope i wont have to go back to work then anyways cause i'll be so busy with homeschool and three kids.

Cael is such a smiley happy baby. he definately has a fussy period 10 - 1130 pm ish usually at some point in there he gets cranky it's really the only time we actually use a pacifer

#18 of 100 Old 05-04-2011, 07:37 AM

Sam also doesn't  pee much during the night!  It freaked me out at first too, but he also pees a lot as soon as he wakes up.  He's been relatively easy, but not as easy as DS1.  I can't really put him down for more than a few minutes and he is difficult to put to sleep at night--but I figure it will get better.  He'll be 5 weeks tomorrow and has his one month WBV on Friday.  I'm interested to see how much he weighs now!!  He doesn't seem that much bigger to me, but DH thinks he is.

I've also been anxious about going back to work--although I work from home.  But this is the challenge.  DS1 is being really needy and moody and a bit aggressive toward Sam.  I have to be constantly on guard when they're both awake.  I am using the tv way too much, but it makes life so much easier.  I'm hoping that he'll chill out soon.  I'm trying to remember that it's a big transition for him and to show him some grace.

I'm excited about the big changes ahead!!

(I am also already thinking about another baby--isn't that funny?  Having two is really challenging.  I can't imagine having a third, but at the same time it feels inevitable and desirable.)

#19 of 100 Old 05-04-2011, 07:52 AM

yup!! dh and i are both ready if/when another little one sprouts. i wouldn't blink if it happened tomorrow but honestly i don't see it happening til closer to a year. just excited for our future!! orngbiggrin.gif

Our GREAT #8 due September 2012! joy.gif
#20 of 100 Old 05-04-2011, 08:54 AM

I'm definitely thinking about #4, but will not be letting that happen for at least another 4 months, then if it happens, great! DH is still on the fence about it, but he is always on the fence about big decisions. He is worried about money and how much house we will need- houses in the city here tend to be very small, and the bigger ones cost a fortune. We have a 3 bed, 2 bath, 950 sq ft house, with no closets or garage, so things are tight. We have been going back and forth about whether to look for a bigger house and rent this one or just stay here and build a shed. Our yard is small, too, which further complicates things. We could try to sell, we'd make a pretty big profit, but big houses around here come up so infrequently that we'd have very little chance of finding anything to buy right away, and trying to rent something with 3 dogs (including 2 pitbulls), 2 cats, and 3 kids is going to be next to impossible. I'm kind of leaning towards building a shed and staying here for a while.

Anyway, I'm almost certain we will have #4 in about 13-16 months from now, either way DH will be getting the snip fairly soon.

Virginia- Freja is totally grunty in the morning, too! Luckily I pretty much sleep through it. I wake up long enough to see if she wants to eat, then go back to sleep. I call it her morning tooty time, because it's like GRUNT FART GRUNT FART for an hour or so. Though she is actually doing it a lot less in the last week or so.

kaPOW and Virginia- I also have a big thing for yurts! Our dream is to get some land and live in a yurt while we build a cob house.

Neuromancer- I let Freja take supervised tummy naps, too. Especially lately, she's been having trouble taking naps because it's so hot, being on her tummy is the only way she can sleep for very long. I give her a cool bath, leave her in just a diaper and lay her down on the couch, then clean the living room so I can keep an eye on her while still getting something done.

I'm so glad the heat wave is starting to break today and will be over tomorrow. We've been getting Santa Ana winds- that means very windy, very hot (90s), very dry (like 10 -20% humidity). Which means I've had to be slathering on lotion to what feels like crocodile skin, my eyes are stinging, dry, and contacts are blurry, and DD2 and I have been getting lots of nosebleeds. Fun! Thank goodness this only happens a few days a year.

#21 of 100 Old 05-04-2011, 07:22 PM

I can't even fathom another baby at this point, although DH and I have talked about me SAHM once #2 shows up so maybe I should get working on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

#22 of 100 Old 05-05-2011, 01:10 PM

Freja woke up with a snotty nose today. I'm wondering if it is a cold or allergies. She has no other symptoms and the snot isn't crazy... enough to make noise when she breathes until I suck it out with the aspirator bulb, but not enough to seriously impair breathing through her nose. The snot is clear with a slight yellow tinge, not runny but not very thick. My allergies are driving me nuts, they have been for about a week, they had been a little better but this morning my eyes are itchy and my nose has been snotty, too. To the best of my knowledge we haven't been exposed to any colds. Do babies get allergies (besides food, I know they get those) this young?

#23 of 100 Old 05-05-2011, 02:42 PM

Katroshka, I have no clue about the snotty nose, but I love the new avatar pic of Freja!

I thought of you all at 5a this morning during grunty time! How sweet, all of our babes grunting along together.

We are currently in the midst of a 12 hour car trip. And we have 6 more hours tomorrow. Harper is doing so well! Sleeping like crazy and tolerating the car very well. I know this is going to mess with her natural schedule, though. I hope we aren't paying for this goodness for too long. Please God let her keep her days and nights straight!

#24 of 100 Old 05-05-2011, 08:41 PM

oh we are pretty sure number #4 will be along in two years or so. my body seems to naturally space my children about 2 years apart.

I love baby smiles!!!!

I really need to do something active. my clothes are starting to depress me. i hate pants right now...

Cael sleeps pretty well at night when he finally settles for the night which isn't until midnight or so. but he'll sleep until 3 or 4 amd nurse very briefly. He really doesn't get up until 8 or so.

#25 of 100 Old 05-06-2011, 05:50 AM

Max has a stuffy nose too.  DH had a cold this week.

He got a fever over night though =( (the baby did).  =(   It was 100.1 and then this morning down to 99.3.    I feel a bit guilty that I had not realized in the middle of the night that with his age we were actually close to the mark that might be an emergency - or at least a definite doctors visit.  To be honest I was not that worried in the middle of the night.  I just did not feel like he was really very sick.  

I did call this morning and the nurse said to just keep taking his temp and watching him.  He seems generally pretty normal.  Was a bit fussy and hard to get to sleep last night but still normal the rest of the night (including the 5am grunt session).

I feel a lot better about the fever right now though cause I just got SMILES!!  love.gif   biggrinbounce.gif     he has given out maybe 6 total smile in the last 2 weeks (one to my boob) and this morning I just got about 6 all for me in a short time.    Such a cutie pie!

My dad is flying in today for his first visit so I am really hoping the fever and mucus are all short lived.

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#26 of 100 Old 05-06-2011, 07:58 AM

We have our first real ped appointment today!  I am anxious to know how much he weighs.  DH graduates this weekend--hooding ceremony on Saturday, departmental graduation on Sunday.  Didn't think far enough ahead to find a sitter for DS1.  Not sure it's a good idea to take a two year old and a newborn to graduation ceremonies, but I might try.  I've never tried to have DS1 sit through anything like that.  And we don't have any fancy electronic devices to occupy him.  Hmmm....  I want to be excited and supportive, but part of me also just wants to stay home!

No sickness here yet, thankfully.  Although I woke up in the middle of the night and smelled cigarette smoke really strongly.  I hate living in an apartment sometimes.  Our downstairs neighbors are really sweet, but they are super chain smokers.

#27 of 100 Old 05-06-2011, 10:54 AM

we had our 6-week appointment with the midwife yesterday. I've actually gained a pound since two weeks. I wouldn't mind so much, but since that means I'm 26lbs over my pre-pregnancy weight, I'm going to need to buy new pants, shorts, and maybe some skirts, I'm not looking forward to the expense. 

Isaac is up to 10lbs 8 oz, so one lb in the last three weeks, not a huge weight gain, but not a tiny one either. 

DD is scheduled to film a TV show on Sunday. they needed a toddler with a mullet, and my mom, who's costuming, got her cast. of course right after DD got cast she hit her head and has a bruise with a big scratch on her forehead. 

#28 of 100 Old 05-06-2011, 11:05 AM

So I guess it was just allergies or something. After I tortured Freja with the snot sucker the second time around midday the snot didn't come back and she's been totally fine. Yay! We've been doing pretty well about fending off colds this year and I don't want to start getting them now! I hate summer colds.

It's cooled down a lot and Freja is obviously happy about it, she's super duper calm today and yesterday, and giving out lots and lots of smiles. She's been smiling at us for a couple of weeks now, but every day she's been smiling more, and it makes me so happy!

Virginia- good luck with your trip, I'm jealous!

jcregan- I hope Max feels better soon, poor thing!

jayray- good luck with the appt and ceremony, but I'm sure everything will be great.

#29 of 100 Old 05-08-2011, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

happy mother's day, you wonderful mamas!!

#30 of 100 Old 05-08-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia884 View Post

Quote:

Harper is such a grunty baby from 4/5am on. And I am a light sleeper so it's not really a good combo.

Quote:

I have been stressing, crying, and just generally freaking out about Harper going to daycare. Sad thing is, I work as an administrator at the dang place! We have great teachers, high standards, etc., etc. I would recommend our place to anyone. But my heart just breaks at the thought of her spending the majority of her day with people other than me, especially since we nurse so much and have been together basically every minute she's been alive! I go back in 4 weeks and am dreading it.

Quote:

This is Harper, too. She won't pee until about 5am. So I have gotten lazy and stopped attempting to change her when she wakes up in the middle of the night. Bad mom??

Quote:

You are very lucky to have such a helpful friend! 

Quote:

In college I was obsessed with both yurts and geodesic domes and would love to camp in a yurt. Have fun and share photos when you get back.

Quote:

Next one? jaw2.gif Seriously? Already??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliy View Post

oh geez i can't even think about going back to work.. thankfully I don't have to. I have leave until January ( yay cananda ! )and then i hope i wont have to go back to work then anyways cause i'll be so busy with homeschool and three kids.

Cael is such a smiley happy baby. he definately has a fussy period 10 - 1130 pm ish usually at some point in there he gets cranky it's really the only time we actually use a pacifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayray View Post

Sam also doesn't  pee much during the night!  It freaked me out at first too, but he also pees a lot as soon as he wakes up.  He's been relatively easy, but not as easy as DS1.  I can't really put him down for more than a few minutes and he is difficult to put to sleep at night--but I figure it will get better.  He'll be 5 weeks tomorrow and has his one month WBV on Friday.  I'm interested to see how much he weighs now!!  He doesn't seem that much bigger to me, but DH thinks he is.

I've also been anxious about going back to work--although I work from home.  But this is the challenge.  DS1 is being really needy and moody and a bit aggressive toward Sam.  I have to be constantly on guard when they're both awake.  I am using the tv way too much, but it makes life so much easier.  I'm hoping that he'll chill out soon.  I'm trying to remember that it's a big transition for him and to show him some grace.

I'm excited about the big changes ahead!!

(I am also already thinking about another baby--isn't that funny?  Having two is really challenging.  I can't imagine having a third, but at the same time it feels inevitable and desirable.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bighappyfam View Post

yup!! dh and i are both ready if/when another little one sprouts. i wouldn't blink if it happened tomorrow but honestly i don't see it happening til closer to a year. just excited for our future!! orngbiggrin.gif

Quote:

Freja woke up with a snotty nose today. I'm wondering if it is a cold or allergies. She has no other symptoms and the snot isn't crazy... enough to make noise when she breathes until I suck it out with the aspirator bulb, but not enough to seriously impair breathing through her nose. The snot is clear with a slight yellow tinge, not runny but not very thick. My allergies are driving me nuts, they have been for about a week, they had been a little better but this morning my eyes are itchy and my nose has been snotty, too. To the best of my knowledge we haven't been exposed to any colds. Do babies get allergies (besides food, I know they get those) this young?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia884 View Post

Katroshka, I have no clue about the snotty nose, but I love the new avatar pic of Freja!

I thought of you all at 5a this morning during grunty time! How sweet, all of our babes grunting along together.

We are currently in the midst of a 12 hour car trip. And we have 6 more hours tomorrow. Harper is doing so well! Sleeping like crazy and tolerating the car very well. I know this is going to mess with her natural schedule, though. I hope we aren't paying for this goodness for too long. Please God let her keep her days and nights straight!

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page