daytime sleep patterns? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-02-2011, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi mamas

Quick question (or not!): what do your baby's sleep patterns look like during the day?  I promised myself I wouldn't obsess over sleep as much with Simon as I did with Fiona, but I am.  He will not stay asleep if we lay him down...even if he's swaddled (as he is at night).  When he was smaller he would sleep for 2-4 hours in the Moby, but now those periods are much shorter (90 minutes if I'm lucky).  In my heart I know we can't set bad habits at this young age, but can I be starting patterns that aren't ideal?

My daughter is a crappy sleeper and I worried I contributed to it.

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#2 of 15 Old 05-02-2011, 02:18 PM

I think sleep has more to do with the kid then the parent!

Max still sleeps a lot in the day , but less then he used too with longer awake periods.  Sleeps a lot more then DD did if I remember correctly.

I usually just have him nap in my sling or something like that.  To put him down he has to have been carried for 40 mins or so and be really asleep... even then he is more likely to stay asleep on his stomach but I don't do that if I am not by him.

Most mornings he has a good alert time but kind of short and then wants to go back to sleep.  He will often sleep 45 mins - 1 hour then wake up and want to eat... and then go back to napping... maybe another hour or two.  Then awake for awhile in the afternoon.  Afternoon/evening often involves at least 1 longer nap of several hours but sometimes several short of an hour or so.   If he doesn't get some fairly good napping in the early evening we often end up with a much fussier baby in the mid/later evening hours!  

The key to getting rid of our witching hours has been to get him in the sling ASAP if he is seeming fussy around dinner time (he does not have great timing, lol).  If we don't do that then we are asking for more trouble later.  

I don't remember DD ever sleeping for 3 hours straight - ever - for a long time! 

Don't know if that helps at all!

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#3 of 15 Old 05-03-2011, 05:48 AM

Samuel doesn't have really regular daytime patterns yet.  Sometimes he takes several long naps, other times shorter naps.  He is almost always awake for a long stretch in the evening (3-4 hours) with maybe very short times asleep.  I have had a hard time getting him to stay asleep.  He's only 4.5 weeks, though, which I think is a more wakeful time? 

I also told myself I wouldn't obsess about sleep like I did with DS1, but I'm already doing it.  My kids just don't seem to do the typical newborn sleepy thing--asleep after 1-2 hours, clear sleepy signs, etc. 

This probably isn't helpful.  I can't remember when your LO was born, but probably he's just going into a more normal young baby pattern?  90 minutes isn't bad in the grand scheme.

#4 of 15 Old 05-03-2011, 10:52 AM

Harper is 6 weeks old now. She sleeps great; but I feel like any joy we could take in that is sort of lost because she is fussy a lot when she's awake

We wake up about 7, she sort of eats, and then she is awake and surprisingly calm until 9. She sleeps for 60-90 minutes. Then she eats for real- lunchtime! She takes a nice nap around noon, for anywhere from 90 minutes to two hours (that's where we are right now. Keep sleeping!) then she doesn't really nap again at all; maybe 15 minutes here or there, maybe more if we lay down together for a nursing nap.

Bedtime is 8 and she sleeps around 4-5 hours, although two nights ago it was 6!!! Then it's sleep for a few more hours and then restless sleep from 5a until we get up.

I never thought we would have any sort of schedule, but she is very consistent! I'm hoping our big car trip in a few days doesn't knock her out of whack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

#5 of 15 Old 05-03-2011, 01:37 PM

still have a sleepy head on my hands. not sure i could even notice a pattern yet. we are 8 wks old today.

Our GREAT #8 due September 2012! joy.gif
#6 of 15 Old 05-04-2011, 09:15 AM

Freja is 7.5 weeks and has no pattern until the late evening. She usually falls asleep around 9 (+-30 min) and pretty much sleeps with us on the couch until we go to bed around 11-12, kind of wakes up for a diaper change and little snack, then back to sleep until her nighttime feeding (don't know what time that is), then sleeps until her grunty, farty, half asleep morning time, usually around 6 - 7 am. The rest of the day is pretty random. Sometimes she has long stretches of sleeping, other times it's up and down every 30 min. All three of my kids have had totally different sleep patterns, my older two have slept well for many years so I am not worried about it at all!

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

#7 of 15 Old 05-04-2011, 11:28 AM

So what is with the early morning grunty farty half asleep time?   We have that too (starts by 5am). 

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#8 of 15 Old 05-04-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcregan View Post

So what is with the early morning grunty farty half asleep time? We have that too (starts by 5am).

Who knew it was universal? Ours has been even more ridiculous his week because Harper is trying so hard to suck her thumb. So we have this grunty baby with limbs flying all over and lips smacking. At least she's not farting like everyone else; she saves it up for one big poop once her eyes are open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

#9 of 15 Old 05-05-2011, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

It sounds like Simon isn't unusual in terms of sleep.  I'm okay with him napping in the Moby...in fact, I love it.  However, I'm going back to work in a couple of weeks (cry!!) and I know that my husband, who is the at-home parent, would prefer it if he could nap in the basinette.  Simon doesn't really sleep well for him in the Moby.  I guess they'll both need to figure it out.

As for farty early mornings...us too!  5am like clockwork.  He passes out after he finishes his toots. 

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#10 of 15 Old 05-07-2011, 05:29 AM

My babe will take a decent (2 hour?) morning nap but so often we have sibling drop offs, etc., she catches it on the fly. Right now she's asleep in her downstairs bassinet, on her side. I rarely put her on her side or tummy as she seems to prefer her back but she was already on her side so....In the afternoon she naps best when I am carrying her in the Babyhawk Mai Tai (love that thing!). I used to be able to put her down easily for naps but she's gotten wiser to it (8.5 weeks). At night, I am in luck, my babe has been a sleeper from the beginning, I think it's her personality more than anything. But here are the things that I think help: I do have a sheepskin under her sheet - very important NOT to put them on their tummies and only on their backs on the sheepskins, but there are benefits, in other countries, they are used in NICU's, etc. Also, we are using the "Sleep Sheep" that you can set for 45 min of white noise (waves, rain, etc.) it does help her settle. I have been nursing her to sleep but she usually stirs before I put her down. Sometimes she'll resettle, I let her make noises as long as she needs to, I only get her if she is distressed. Sometimes it takes as long as 40 min or so but I think it's helping her learn to put herself to sleep. I am trying to start a bedtime where I don't nurse her to sleep: i.e., bath, story, nurse, songs, last night was the first try but she didn't settle and after 20 minutes she got distressed I came and got her and nursed her and tho she woke up she did then settle. She sleeps from 9 or 10 till 3 or 4 usually and then nurses 2-3 times between 4 and 6 or 7 and we co-sleep for this stretch....she often needs to sleep longer than that but often it's hard for her as we are in gear for the morning.  I let my first co-sleep exclusively and then he had to learn to sleep on his own at age 3 and I felt it was quite hard on him and wished I'd let him learn on his own earlier. My second was a mixed bag. Anyhow, that's why I am trying this approach....

#11 of 15 Old 05-08-2011, 06:37 PM

K is not sleeping well at all.  He isn't taking naps properly in the day, last week he was fine, the last 3 days awful.  He slept maybe 3 hours the whole daytime.  This isn't enough for a 6 wk old baby, surely??  At night it can take us hours to get him to go to sleep, last week I decided to try feeding him, then swaddling him, then putting him down in the crib.  First night he went right off to sleep, slept 3.5 hours.  Second night took almost an hour to get him to sleep but he slept FIVE hours!! I was thrilled.  Last 3 nights, it has taken 1.5 plus hours to get him to sleep and then he only sleeps for 2 hours max.  I'm waking/feeding at 10ish, 1ish, 3, 5 and then we have grumpy farty time from 5 until about 7 when his sister wakes up and starts shouting for me.  I'm exhausted.

I've cut out caffeine and chocolate in case that was stimulating him (I have eaten a lot of chocolate since my Grandmother visited with Easter treats), but otherwise I'm at a loss to understand 

A. why he won't nap during the day when obviously tired

B. how to get him off to sleep at night and go a little longer before waking.

I don't remember clearly what my daughter did at this age, but I know by the time she was 10 weeks old I just had to feed her, she'd doze off, then I'd transfer her to the crib and off she'd go for 4-5 hours.  How do I get that again with my son!?!?

I guess I find the whole thing much harder with #2 because of having to fit him around #1 - I have to interrupt my attempts at getting him to nap so I can drive her places, and no matter what time he wants to sleep until, I HAVE to get up around 7 because that's when she wakes.  No more laying in bed with sleepy baby at 8AM.

Oh, it feels so good to vent.  Thank you!

Mummy to two,  vbac.gif winner.jpgsigncirc1.gif
#12 of 15 Old 05-09-2011, 08:53 AM

It's funny -- I haven't noticed a pattern yet, so almost all of your posts sound familiar because I've seen each one on at least one day!  ;)  Some evenings we get "witching hour" fussiness, and some evenings he sleeps right through that period.  He does do a lot of early morning farty/pooping gruntiness most mornings, too.  And his daytime naps seem to be getting shorter.  He's hard to put down, too, but naps well in the sling as long as I stay in motion.  He also naps really well when we're in a crowd -- at church or any event with lots of friends -- so people we know think we have an "easy" baby, when actually I think he's neither "easy" nor "hard," all things considered.

I often mis-read his sleepiness for hunger.  He seems to always think he wants to eat, but when I try him at the breast over and over and he won't eat, then I usually realize he's tired and can get him to sleep.

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#13 of 15 Old 05-10-2011, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

It's funny -- I haven't noticed a pattern yet, so almost all of your posts sound familiar because I've seen each one on at least one day!  ;)  Some evenings we get "witching hour" fussiness, and some evenings he sleeps right through that period.  He does do a lot of early morning farty/pooping gruntiness most mornings, too.  And his daytime naps seem to be getting shorter.  He's hard to put down, too, but naps well in the sling as long as I stay in motion.  He also naps really well when we're in a crowd -- at church or any event with lots of friends -- so people we know think we have an "easy" baby, when actually I think he's neither "easy" nor "hard," all things considered.

I often mis-read his sleepiness for hunger.  He seems to always think he wants to eat, but when I try him at the breast over and over and he won't eat, then I usually realize he's tired and can get him to sleep.

me too on the sleepy thing!

#14 of 15 Old 05-11-2011, 02:37 PM

I think a big part of the sleep thing is the babe's little personality...Stelly you were saying you had it with your DD but not your new little DS? I didn't have good sleeping with my others and I do with this sweet babe and I swear I am doing the same things...it's just working better this time. 

#15 of 15 Old 05-12-2011, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaNuova View Post

My babe will take a decent (2 hour?) morning nap but so often we have sibling drop offs, etc., she catches it on the fly. Right now she's asleep in her downstairs bassinet, on her side. I rarely put her on her side or tummy as she seems to prefer her back but she was already on her side so....In the afternoon she naps best when I am carrying her in the Babyhawk Mai Tai (love that thing!). I used to be able to put her down easily for naps but she's gotten wiser to it (8.5 weeks). At night, I am in luck, my babe has been a sleeper from the beginning, I think it's her personality more than anything. But here are the things that I think help: I do have a sheepskin under her sheet - very important NOT to put them on their tummies and only on their backs on the sheepskins, but there are benefits, in other countries, they are used in NICU's, etc. Also, we are using the "Sleep Sheep" that you can set for 45 min of white noise (waves, rain, etc.) it does help her settle. I have been nursing her to sleep but she usually stirs before I put her down. Sometimes she'll resettle, I let her make noises as long as she needs to, I only get her if she is distressed. Sometimes it takes as long as 40 min or so but I think it's helping her learn to put herself to sleep. I am trying to start a bedtime where I don't nurse her to sleep: i.e., bath, story, nurse, songs, last night was the first try but she didn't settle and after 20 minutes she got distressed I came and got her and nursed her and tho she woke up she did then settle. She sleeps from 9 or 10 till 3 or 4 usually and then nurses 2-3 times between 4 and 6 or 7 and we co-sleep for this stretch....she often needs to sleep longer than that but often it's hard for her as we are in gear for the morning.  I let my first co-sleep exclusively and then he had to learn to sleep on his own at age 3 and I felt it was quite hard on him and wished I'd let him learn on his own earlier. My second was a mixed bag. Anyhow, that's why I am trying this approach....

Simon seems okay on his back, but only if swaddled.  If we lay him down unswaddled he flails around and wakes.  At night he sleeps well but during the day he doesn't sleep more than 45 minutes laying down even if swaddled, and because I have a 2 year old needing me I'm unable to spend vast amounts of time helping him fall asleep.  We do the white noise both during the day and at night, and he's not really one to nurse to sleep but I have to sway and bounce.  I worry that we're not really letting him settle on his own because we tend to him if he makes noise.  I feel like we might be over tending, but Fiona can hear a fly land on a wall in a room across the house, even with the white noise, and we can't risk waking her up or else everyone is up.  I don't really know what to do to encourage good sleeping habits/routines early given Fiona.

She starts out in her own bed but ends up in ours by midnight....I fear that she's on the same difficult path as your first co-sleeper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelly View Post

K is not sleeping well at all.  He isn't taking naps properly in the day, last week he was fine, the last 3 days awful.  He slept maybe 3 hours the whole daytime.  This isn't enough for a 6 wk old baby, surely??  At night it can take us hours to get him to go to sleep, last week I decided to try feeding him, then swaddling him, then putting him down in the crib.  First night he went right off to sleep, slept 3.5 hours.  Second night took almost an hour to get him to sleep but he slept FIVE hours!! I was thrilled.  Last 3 nights, it has taken 1.5 plus hours to get him to sleep and then he only sleeps for 2 hours max.  I'm waking/feeding at 10ish, 1ish, 3, 5 and then we have grumpy farty time from 5 until about 7 when his sister wakes up and starts shouting for me.  I'm exhausted.

I've cut out caffeine and chocolate in case that was stimulating him (I have eaten a lot of chocolate since my Grandmother visited with Easter treats), but otherwise I'm at a loss to understand 

A. why he won't nap during the day when obviously tired

B. how to get him off to sleep at night and go a little longer before waking.

I don't remember clearly what my daughter did at this age, but I know by the time she was 10 weeks old I just had to feed her, she'd doze off, then I'd transfer her to the crib and off she'd go for 4-5 hours.  How do I get that again with my son!?!?

I guess I find the whole thing much harder with #2 because of having to fit him around #1 - I have to interrupt my attempts at getting him to nap so I can drive her places, and no matter what time he wants to sleep until, I HAVE to get up around 7 because that's when she wakes.  No more laying in bed with sleepy baby at 8AM.

Oh, it feels so good to vent.  Thank you!

I'm sorry Stelly...your son sounds like our daughter.  She took forever to get to sleep at night (like hours), although she generally slept well once she was asleep.  However, during the day...it was also a struggle and we had many days when she'd sleep only a few hours.  We used white noise (played really loudly...you can download the vacuum from iTunes for something like $9.  Its a total rip off, but our most played track by far), swaddling, and rocking...even during the day.  We found that once she was overtired, which often happened as early 10 am if we missed her "going to sleep window", it would spiral downward and basically suck for the rest of the day.  I have no advice for dealing with a sleeper like her when you have an older child to tend to....we were lucky she was our first and that Simon seems to be easier in terms of sleep.  Vent all you want!!  I hope things are better!

Camille~

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page