First Baby, advice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-24-2010, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there everyone.
I am beyond THRILLED! I need some advice please. I bought What to Expect When You're Expecting, but I haven't read into too much just yet. I'm wondering the following questions:

-When do I call a doctor?
-I don't have a "doctor" because I am rarely ever sick and I have my annual exams with whoever is available. How did you choose your doctor?
-I work at a job where heavy lifting is involved on a daily basis. How do I avoid it?
-Caffeine. Someone please clear up what I can and cannot have. I have not had an ounce of soda since I found out I was pregnant, but is that really necessary to go cold turkey? I could really enjoy a clear soda or something.

Thank you in advance!!! I'm super excited. According to due date calculators, my EDD is 4/1/10.

I can't wait to get to know all of you!

Julie, 29 married to Adam, 26... momma to Grey Radly born 3-31-11  and owner of a very happy-go-lucky hound dog Daisy!!! Pregnant with #2!!!! Due sometime in November??!!

winner.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2010, 08:46 PM

Congrats! So my advice to you as a first-time mom would be to dump the What to Expect book and go find yourself a better book on pregnancy and birth. A lot of ladies really like "A Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" and "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" -- both are more naturally-minded, and going to give you the info you need to make important decisions in the coming months.

Also -- I'd consider a midwife! You can find mw's that practice in hospitals, birth centers and homes. Generally a midwife's care is much more in depth than a doctors, meaning that you'll get a chance to ask all the questions you need and develop a realthionship with the person who will attend your birth. You might try the "finding your tribe" forums for local recommendations.

Not sure about the job -- I'm sure someone will have ideas for you...

And caffeine -- there are various opinions, but I feel comfortable with limiting caffeine to two cups (of coffee, soda) a day because studies seem to show that there seems to be no harm in that quantity. Probably less is better, but I do like to have a cup of coffee once in awhile.

Hope this helps! Blessings on this exciting journey!

Mama to 4 girls    chicken3.gif5/05, 12/07, 9/09, 3/11   winner.jpghomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg

Old 07-24-2010, 08:47 PM

You could go ahead and call your provider now. You probably won't be seen until closer to 9 weeks or so, but some places will have you in for a brief visit earlier. You might want to talk to other mamas in your area and see what their experiences were delivering different places so that you can choose the best provider. You might even consider "interviewing" a few places. It may help you to know what to ask to read something like Ina May's books or the Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth - to have some sense of what you want your experience to be.

How heavy is heavy lifting? I'd think that would be question for your provider as to what the "limit" on your lifting can be.

Caffine in moderation is ok; I can't remember the exact amount but you'd have to drink several sodas to exceed it.

HTH!

Meredith, mama to Callum (12-28-08 ) and now expecting a new bean in early spring
Old 07-24-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbelle View Post
Caffine in moderation is ok; I can't remember the exact amount but you'd have to drink several sodas to exceed it.

HTH!
This is my first pregnancy, too, but I read that caffeine shouldn't exceed:

8-16 oz of coffee a day (or the equivalent of caffeine in other beverages) -- maximum (300 mg/day).

That's from The Whole Pregnancy Handbook: An Obstetrician's Guide to Integrating Conventional and Alternative Medicine Before, During, and After Pregnancy by Joel Evans.

I'm sure other sources will say different things, but I felt like this was a reasonable ballpark for me (I don't drink coffee, anyway).

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
Old 07-25-2010, 12:41 AM

We called a midwife already - they do an information session first and then if it sounds like it will work for you then you book an appointment. So our first appointment will likely be the second week of August. You're normally first seen around 8-10 weeks along. I have a family doctor, but I definitely didn't want to use her as she's not very personable and doesn't really take the time to answer questions or listen to you. So I looked up the midwife groups in our area and asked around for feedback, we'll see how the info session goes.

Re: caffeine, I'm sticking to one coffee or black tea per day. You'd have to look up the amount of caffeine in the soda that you're drinking. I'd definitely stay away from diet ones though or those with artificial sweeteners.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:44 PM

Hi doing a little DDCC
Welcome to preggo land!

I will second or third the dumping the what's expected book, it has a lot of pretty incorrect and kinda screwed up things in it, there is much better out there.

As for caffeine? They say that they find miscarriage issues at over 200mg a day, but personally I don't understand if 200 is the limit, why 100 is " safe" and I personally would stay away from it in the first trimester at least while the organs are forming, it's only a few months and it a good cause right?

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Old 07-26-2010, 11:58 AM

During my first pregnancy I really loved the Mayo Clinic's Guide to Pregnancy for its symptom index in the back. It has an exhaustive list of crazy things you might experience when pregnant. So when I was paranoid about something, I'd look back there and see that it's totally normal and not to worry! I liked the Dr. Sears Pregnancy Book for other stuff.

LOVE Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, but it's not very exhaustive regarding the pregnancy.

I have also heard that the latest research says smaller amounts of caffeine are better/safer. I don't think one soda a day is going to hurt. And "clear" soda's normally don't have caffeine!

I also second trying to find a midwife. I just called my birth center and made an appointment for 10 weeks. They really don't need to see you before then!
Old 07-27-2010, 11:44 AM

Here are some studies on caffeine in pregnancy:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0121080402.htm
Quote:
High doses of daily caffeine during pregnancy -- whether from coffee, tea, caffeinated soda or hot chocolate -- cause an increased risk of miscarriage
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1103102125.htm
Quote:
Consuming caffeine at any time during pregnancy is associated with an increased risk of fetal growth restriction (low birth weight)
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1216133440.htm
Quote:
A new study shows that the equivalent of one dose of caffeine (just two cups of coffee) ingested during pregnancy may be enough to affect fetal heart development and then reduce heart function over the entire lifespan of the child. In addition, the researchers also found that this relatively minimal amount of exposure may lead to higher body fat among males, when compared to those who were not exposed to caffeine.
I personally don't feel comfortable consuming any caffeine in pregnancy, except tiny amounts in chocolate (because how am I supposed to completely give up chocolate?!)

I have found that the info most books show don't really reflect current research, and it bugs me that docs are still telling women that 2 cups a day is fine.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raen View Post
I have found that the info most books show don't really reflect current research, and it bugs me that docs are still telling women that 2 cups a day is fine.
I agree with you. I'm pretty laid-back about all the recommendations and don't follow many of them, but my feelings on caffeine have changed after reading more recent studies (and trust me, I LOVE coffee!).

One very recent study showed a 50% higher incidence of miscarriage in women who consume 150 mg of caffeine daily. The study's conclusion was that the teeny baby cannot handle the caffeine's effect on his/her system.

I am staying far away from coffee for the first trimester. I did have a Dublin Dr. Pepper (40 mg of caffeine) but I consumed it slowly over a couple hours.

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!
Old 07-27-2010, 07:19 PM

I have been surprised with all the general concern about toxins and health that is around this board that so many are blasé about caffeine. I'm pretty relaxed about my foods, mostly just wor to stay away from hormones, pesticides and abx in stuff. But caffeine? To me that is a drug, just like the rest and no thank you. I think many f us use it way too much as it is, i wouldn't feed it to a child so i won't be feeding it to a fetus.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Old 07-29-2010, 12:02 PM

The general rule for lifting is that if you've been lifting it regularly before your pregnancy, you should be fine to lift through your pregnancy.
I don't worry too much about caffeine. I'm not much of a caffeine drinker, though. I really don't limit anything but alcohol. You body will tell you what it needs!
I REALLY liked Ina May's Guide to Childbirth - so beautiful!

As far as finding a doc, I would ask around on your MDC Tribe board for recs!

Congratulations!
Old 08-03-2010, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaPancake View Post
The general rule for lifting is that if you've been lifting it regularly before your pregnancy, you should be fine to lift through your pregnancy.
Toootally stalking your DDC, but wanted to jump in.

When I was PG with DS I worked at a job where I lifted quite a bit, and repetitively. I consider myself a fit and sturdy person and didn't think anything about lifting. I knew not to over do it, and if I was straining I would ask for help.

Anyway, about 20w (I believe, maybe 16) My poor cervix was having trouble staying all the way closed! They threatened to staple it shut if I didn't take it easy! So listen to your MW (or DR)

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

Old 08-06-2010, 10:52 PM

Congrats!

Another fan of Ina May's Guide to Childbirth here, it is my all time favorite pregnancy + birth book.

I talked to my mw about lifting, I am a baker and lift batches of dough from 80-125 pounds regularly. She said to just see how I feel and take it from there. I feel like the 125 is too much and if someone else is available to lift the 80 pounders, great, but I feel like it is okay for now since my body is used to it. In a few months, I'll probably stop doing the big lifts completely, since I'll have trouble bending over the mixer to get it anyway!

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
Old 08-07-2010, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Hi and congrats!!

I'll put it out there that Ina May is a bit "far out" for my tastes. I say that because when I got around to reading all of her books I was so surprised that they weren't the be all and end all for me. (Because I thought they would be given how much all my favorite mamas love her). I LOVED Pushed, however, and think it should be required reading. ;-)

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 08-09-2010, 12:59 AM

I didn't read what the others said, but PLEASE get rid of that book. I know some love it but it's full of scare information that is not helpful or productive. Get Dr. Sears book on pregnancy. It has what you need to know and doesn't have what you don't need to know or worry about. Regarding actual childbirth, The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth is essential NOW while you are making birth decisions. A huge eye opener for me - I never would have appreciated and embraced childbirth if it were not for that book. I also love Ina May.

That said, it doesn't matter if you don't already have a doctor. Do you hope to have a hospital birth? Are you interested in using a midwife? Your local tribe message board here on mothering can give you recs on OBs or m/ws in your area.

Caffeine - they say one cup of reg coffee is fine. I try to usually do decaf but don't stress in the least if I have regular. For some, coffee is a trigger for heartburn so that might be the main decision factor for having coffee at all.

Lifting - generally, what you did before pregnancy is fine to continue during, though you may want to exercise caution as you get larger. Mainly, it will be easier to strain a muscle because your ligaments are loosening from hormones. And your center of gravity will be off, I wouldn't be able to trust myself to be steady and not get hurt. If this is at work where you lift, your employer can reassign you with a note from your care provider.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).

User Tag List