When's your first Dr./Midwife appointment? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-05-2010, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Interviewing the m/w I think I'm going to use on Monday We're not doing anything other than talking at that appointment though. My first u/s is @ 7wks4days (August 24th) with the RE though!

Wife (32) of 8 years to DH (33), Mom to Logan geek.gif (7), and Tristan and Cael, twins.gif the wee ones, born 3/18/11! And OMW a surprise babyf.gif due 2/2013!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2010, 01:29 PM

I found a group of midwives and my first appointment will be when I am 8 weeks pregnant. This will be a new experience for me, somewhere down the middle. I had an OB/GYN for my first 2 births and 30 weeks of my third pregnancy and then a homebirth midwife for my third birth at 42w5d. I'm going to the hospital this time due to cost/insurance, but will be with a nurse-midwife. I'm hoping for another hands-off waterbirth, but I won't know how hands-off they can be until after I meet with them. With my homebirth midwife, other than listening with the doppler, she did not touch me or baby until after the birth when there were some mild complications that needed to be addressed. I'm looking forward to a similar birth and may look to help out a certifying doula.

Nina Wife to DH
Mama to DD1-4y DS-3y DD2-21m
Old 08-08-2010, 10:53 PM

None yet, but probably not until about 10-12 weeks. I need to interview some midwives this week when we get back to town. We're new to town but I've been doing a ton of research since I'll be working toward a VBAC.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
Old 08-09-2010, 06:50 PM

Well, I just called DR's office to make an appt and she said that he wants his patients to come in right away to get blood tests ran and anything else he thinks the patient needs. Oye. For some reason I'm not feeling good about this. I've only been using him as my girly dr for not even a year. I guess I'm going to have to write down all of my concerns and questions and interview him. I want to go as natural as possible but I have no idea how he is. He's 60 something years old...I wonder if he's set in his ways and not willing to budge...oh no's.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:40 PM

I had to go in for a pg test at 4.5 weeks, this was different from any other time, but I haven't started a pg in this clinic before. It was nice to get to talk to my mw again though, it's been a while! My first 'real' appt is at 8 weeks. I think I heard all 3 of my kids then, so I am hoping to hear this one too (but I do know it might not happen).

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
Old 08-10-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferadurham View Post
Well, I just called DR's office to make an appt and she said that he wants his patients to come in right away to get blood tests ran and anything else he thinks the patient needs. Oye. For some reason I'm not feeling good about this. I've only been using him as my girly dr for not even a year. I guess I'm going to have to write down all of my concerns and questions and interview him. I want to go as natural as possible but I have no idea how he is. He's 60 something years old...I wonder if he's set in his ways and not willing to budge...oh no's.
That happened to me with my son. When I asked the OB if he does episiotomies and he gave me a very roundabout answer that generally said 'YES' I left running. He also had a 40% cesarean rate and blamed it on working one day a week at an inner city hospital. The poor women who don't know better...

There is a great website for NJ that lists cesarean and intervention rates of all the hospitals in the state. Maybe google around and see if there in something similar for your state. Local ICAN leaders are generally a wealth of knowledge about 'good and bad' OBs

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

Old 08-10-2010, 10:24 AM

Going for bloodwork today. I have PCOS and a history of low progesterone. I'd go my MWs for the draw but they are 45 min away so I'll just go to a lab. I have no problem with the monthly appts. because I love my MWs and will make DH come home early so I can go alone A friend who also uses them and lives near me is due in Feb so I'm hoping we can schedule some back-to-back appts and drive down together Not sure when my first appt will be.

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

Old 08-10-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryn237 View Post
That happened to me with my son. When I asked the OB if he does episiotomies and he gave me a very roundabout answer that generally said 'YES' I left running. He also had a 40% cesarean rate and blamed it on working one day a week at an inner city hospital. The poor women who don't know better...

There is a great website for NJ that lists cesarean and intervention rates of all the hospitals in the state. Maybe google around and see if there in something similar for your state. Local ICAN leaders are generally a wealth of knowledge about 'good and bad' OBs
oh my! thank you so so much! i've never heard of that.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:28 PM

September 8 is my first appointment. I will be 9w4days. The midwife first tried to ask me to come in two weeks earlier. I just see no reason for that. Even the 9 weeks seems early to me. Maybe by that time I'll be more to see her though.

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

Old 08-11-2010, 05:39 PM

I am interviewing four midwives in the next two weeks, plus I'm meeting with their backup doc next week, too. This is my second, but my husband's first and he's a little nervous about the whole midwife thing which is why we're meeting so many. We hope to make a decision before the end of August so I can have a "real" appointment by the beginning of September (9 weeks~ish).
Old 08-11-2010, 05:52 PM

We have our first MW appointment scheduled for Aug 25th. I'll be about 9 weeks then.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:54 PM

I have an intake appointment with the nurse at my OB office next Wednesday. I'm glad it's early since I need to get reestablished with them. I haven't seen them since my postpartum appointment with my youngest almost 3 years ago. I'm excited!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
Old 08-11-2010, 10:04 PM

My first appt is around 12 weeks with my midwife.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

Old 08-12-2010, 01:43 AM

I will have an ultrasound at 6 weeks and another at 8 weeks at the RE's office. The first is considered a head count and the second is to make sure everything is okay before we are released from his care.

I spoke with my MW this evening and we will schedule the first appointment for the 11-12 week point.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:26 PM

We have our first midwife appointment scheduled at 9w4d on August 30. Actually, I have first appointments with two different midwives at different practices that week. I really want a midwife I can bond with and you can't tell that from googling them. Both of them look really great. But, I prefer the one practice that's 5 minutes from my house that I can actually walk to. So I think I will cancel my second appointment with the other midwife.

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:55 AM

i just got a hold of an awsome midwife today... she's really the closest homebirth midwife in the area but she also seems super cool. she called me back this evening while on vacation! she wants to see DP and i on Aug 31st. it won't really be an "pregnancy" appt as much as a "lets make a game plan" appt.

meanwhile, i have another u/s scheduled with the RE next friday...

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
Old 08-19-2010, 06:59 PM

I haven't called to make the 1st appt yet. I did just go in about 2 months ago and had some blood drawn b/c of headaches, i met with one of the midwifes there and she was nice, but i don't know if i got the right vibes from her, so i am not sure if i am her 'patient' or not or if i can see anyone under that obgyn that has the midwifes under her but i will find out on monday when i call, i would really like to try out another midwife in the practice. Dh is all 'i can't believe you want to do the hospital thing i thought you wanted homebirth, but cost wise it will be less if i go the traditional route so that is what i am thinking at this point'.

with ds we went in about 10 weeks and got a u/s and then had the next appt and got to hear the heartbeat, so i am thinking sometime midsept would be good. I know my cousin misscarried at around 7 weeks and they heard the heartbeat, but they may not check for it that early at routine visits.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
Old 08-21-2010, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
I've got a new MW because I'm in a different town from where my DC was born. The HB midwives there start seeing mothers right away but the MW here waits until 12 weeks.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 08-21-2010, 02:00 PM

Mine's in a week and a half, at 6w1d. This is just to confirm that it is a "normal" pregnancy, because my previous one was molar. Then at 8 weeks I'll have my first "official" prenatal appt.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:29 PM

I saw the intake nurse last week. I have my first appt with the dr a week from Thursday at 7w5d. I can't wait!!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
Old 08-21-2010, 04:17 PM

Don't have one. I will probably wait until I have the downpayment to give my midwife with the contract. That could be a little while Having been around this block so many times, though, and being a birth professional myself, I am not really concerned about getting my foot in the door. They know I'm pregnant, and I know I can go if I really have a need.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:50 PM

I will be in as soon as we get back from vacation - somewhere in between 5w and 5w3d. I'm guessing they will run betas Tues and Thursday and have me come in Friday at 5w3d if last month was any indication. I will be pushing for appts every 2 weeks or so until the first tri is over.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
Old 08-23-2010, 01:12 AM

I'm seeing my midwife at 8 weeks (on September 7th). My primary midwife is brand new, though my secondary has a lot of experience. My midwife was brand new with my last baby too and this being my third baby I'm not too worried about it.

This appointment will be mainly a health/pregnancy history. I won't be doing any screening as I haven't in the past (I couldn't bear to make a decision about termination if I was faced with it). All I've ever had is the 20 week ultrasound with my other two pregnancies.

Mummy to DD-8yrs (Jan-04), DS-5yrs (Dec-06) and DS2-19mths (Apr-11). pos.gif #4 EDD July 26 2013

nocirc.giflactivist.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifbfolderchild.gif

Old 08-23-2010, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I go in today @ 8w+3d! Only 3w+4d til 2nd tri! God, I can't wait....

me, my man, and our boys (1/08 and 3/11)

Old 08-23-2010, 01:00 PM

My first appointment isn't until September 13th which seems like so far away. I did go in for a beta draw on Friday and going in today as well to make sure everything is progressing as it should be.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:56 PM

alireb - my birthday is Sept 13!

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
Old 08-23-2010, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Mine is Thursday morning and I'll be 5 weeks on the dot. I'm a bit surprised that they scheduled me so soon as usually they don't schedule me until at least 8 weeks. I'll get my first beta done.

Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 7, 3, 2) and expecting #6 June/2014

Old 08-23-2010, 05:48 PM

made my first appt. for 8/31, according to my calculations i will be about 6 1/2 weeks and according to the traditional calculation based on LMP about 7 weeks. They said i could come in tomorrow, but dh has to work so next week would be better. She said I can get an appt. quick b/c i requested to see the CNM under one of the dr.'s guess all the dr.'s are busy busy! I did get a different CNM this time to see, there are three in the practice, so anxious to try out this one! With ds i think i was like 10 weeks before i went in, but i'm kind of okay with going in early this time b/c of the last chemical pregnancy, and the headaches i got just prior to getting pregnant this summer.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
Old 08-23-2010, 06:16 PM

Just made my first appointment with my midwife for Sept 20. I'll be 8w-ish then.

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011

User Tag List