When's your first Dr./Midwife appointment? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 59 Old 07-26-2010, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I called today and they'll see me on August 19th... just before 9 weeks for me. Anything at this visit that surprised any of you who have had kids before? Do you bring your husband/partner? Then after that visit, how often do you return? Obviously they'll tell me, but I'm just wondering in advance!

Thank you!

Julie, 29 married to Adam, 26... momma to Grey Radly born 3-31-11  and owner of a very happy-go-lucky hound dog Daisy!!! Pregnant with #2!!!! Due sometime in November??!!

winner.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 59 Old 07-26-2010, 08:24 PM

I managed to have an appointment last Tuesday. It was SUPPOSED to be a preconception appt. and I made it months ago, then went ahead and got pregnant anyway. Coincidentally, the date worked out to become a "postconception" visit! So I had a urine test and blood drawn and made some more appointments. My next one will be August 10th for the sonogram. I am about 5 weeks now, so I'll be 7 weeks then.

Then, I'll return a few weeks later to meet with the practice's midwife, mainly about nutrition (I'm told). And they tell me they meet with most women once a month during early pregnancy.

OR, if my interview with a HB midwife goes well this Wednesday, I may switch to her practice and meet with her every 4-6 weeks for the first part of the pregnancy.

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#3 of 59 Old 07-26-2010, 09:24 PM

I haven't even called my midwife practice yet. I am going to try to get an appointment on the morning of August 19th which would be right around 8 weeks. After that appointment I'll have an appointment every 4 to 5 weeks until the 3rd trimester when it will change to every 2 to 3 weeks. At 36 weeks or so it will become a weekly appointment.

That being said, I am not sure if DH is coming with me to the first appointment or not. Since we aren't telling anyone about the pregnancy for awhile, we have no one to babysit our two small ones while I have my appointment so either we need to bring them or DH needs to stay home with them and watch them. We'll probably decide the day of the appointment if he will go or not.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#4 of 59 Old 07-26-2010, 09:44 PM

My first appointment is August 17th. I'll be 8 weeks then, or 7 according to my O date. I'm so nervous about it but excited to see the baby. I'm definitely bringing my husband with me.

Loving my husband and our beautiful daughter.  TTC baby #2!

#5 of 59 Old 07-27-2010, 08:59 PM

The birth center I was with when I had my girls has closed so I am currently looking for a midwife. I am planning on interviewing midwives through August. I'd like to decide on someone by early September (that would put me at about 9 weeks) I'm definitely taking DH. I've decided I'm narrowing it down to 3 and he can decide which of them we go with. But honestly, I think my heart is already set on who I want and I have our consultation with her on 8/23.

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#6 of 59 Old 07-27-2010, 11:27 PM

August 17th for me when I will be 6.5 weeks. I calculated my due date for 4/8. I think it's early but I'm eager to get official confirmation. With my DS I went in at 8 or 9 weeks. I'm starting to wonder if I should postpone my appointment another two weeks in case there is nothing to be seen at 6.5 weeks. But at my OBs office, they said anytime from 6.5 to 8 weeks is the range for first appointments.

The first visit with DS they went through a lot of questions plus the first sonogram is pretty exciting, especially if it's your first! He will want to see that!
#7 of 59 Old 07-28-2010, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
First MW appt. is Aug 23 - I'll be 8w+2d. Not much goes down at that one, but the following 12w appt will be exciting because we should be able to hear the heartbeat. I will bring DH to that one, but not the first.

me, my man, and our boys (1/08 and 3/11)

#8 of 59 Old 07-28-2010, 05:34 PM

My first appointment is Sept 2nd. I will be 9w1D. DH and DD will definitely come since there will be an ultrasound. We will also see a nurse practitioner. I won't see my OB until the 12/13 week appointment. We will be telling our family and friends after that appointment as long as we hear the heart beat on the doppler.

Natalie ~ DH 8/04 ~ DD 8/09 ~ Identical Twin Boys Arrived at 34w5d on March 2, 2011

#9 of 59 Old 07-29-2010, 01:08 PM

I finally called my midwife office today to make an appointment. I was expecting to have my first appointment at 8 weeks like last time. Apparently they have changed how they do things and do a bloodwork and paperwork appointment at 5 to 6 weeks now before the real appointment at 8 weeks. So I have an appointment on the 13th which is 7 weeks, but I didn't have any free time before that to do anything about it.

I was kind of surprised at how early they wanted the first appointment honestly, since they didn't need one then last time. Oh well, it isn't a huge deal either way.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#10 of 59 Old 07-29-2010, 01:31 PM

My first appointment will be with my OB practice's nurse on August 12th, at which point I should be at least 7 weeks (my due date is still up in the air). I'm thinking they are going to schedule a dating scan, but then I won't be in to see my doctor until about twelve weeks. After that, I'll go every 4 weeks until 36 and then every other week until my due date.

For my last pregnancy, DH only came to my 12 week appointment (to hear the heartbeat for the first time), the anatomy scan, and my non-stress test. I will be bringing DD to the nurse's appointment with me, but in order for her to come to regular appointments with me another adult has to accompany her.

Mom to DSS D (7) , DD Elizabeth (8/09) , and expecting DC3 3/30/11
#11 of 59 Old 07-29-2010, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I just made my first appt with my OB for Monday, when I'll be 4w2d. They got me in very quickly because I have a history of m/c and they'll want to do HCG and progesterone testing. I will be seen by my OB through the first trimester (probably every 4 weeks through 16 weeks), then if all goes well, I'll switch back to the home birth midwife who I had with DS around 20 wks.

DH will only be coming to the u/s appt at ~8 weeks with the OB, and then my mw comes to us on Saturdays for appts, so he'll be at every one of those. If things go as smoothly as they did during DS's pg, I'll try to space my mw appts further apart than last time and just do self-care in between.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#12 of 59 Old 07-30-2010, 01:18 AM

Am I the only one who doesn't have an appointment? I guess I should start interviewing midwives.

me(29) and dh(27) -- SAHM to dd (8/7/8) --
Thrilled to be expecting our second baby - 4/6/11
#13 of 59 Old 07-30-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkristin View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't have an appointment? I guess I should start interviewing midwives.
I don't either. I'm about 7 weeks along & am looking for a midwife, so you're not alone.
#14 of 59 Old 07-30-2010, 08:24 AM

I have my first appointment on August 10th at 7 weeks, just with the nurse practitioner to do family history and blood work. And then I have my first actual appointment with my OB on Sept 2nd, which I think will be 10 weeks. I don't think I will have an ultrasound at either of those appointments, so I'm not sure when that will happen.

#15 of 59 Old 07-30-2010, 11:45 AM

I'm going to start looking for midwives. My insurance this time around won't cover a homebirth, so I'll settle for the OTHER local hospital, not the one where I delivered my first 2 children. I don't plan on meeting with a midwife until my second trimester, but that's only because I don't feel like I have much to learn and I plan to opt out of most of the prenatal testing.

Nina Wife to DH
Mama to DD1-4y DS-3y DD2-21m
#16 of 59 Old 07-30-2010, 11:46 AM

i've been seeing a RE for insemination so their protocol is to do an u/s at 5 1/2 weeks, which will be next tuesday for us... last April i had one done at 5 1/2 weeks and they saw nothing... i miscarried a few days later. FX to see a yolk sack!!!

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#17 of 59 Old 07-31-2010, 01:04 AM

i waited until i was 20+ months before i saw my midwife when i was pregnant with ds and will likely do the same with this pregnancy

only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly -- rfk
#18 of 59 Old 07-31-2010, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by star thistle View Post
i waited until i was 20+ months before i saw my midwife when i was pregnant with ds and will likely do the same with this pregnancy
I'm guessing you mean 20+ weeks?

me(29) and dh(27) -- SAHM to dd (8/7/8) --
Thrilled to be expecting our second baby - 4/6/11
#19 of 59 Old 07-31-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkristin View Post
I'm guessing you mean 20+ weeks?
lol, yes of course i mean 20+ weeks, hahaha! i should not be posting so late at night

only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly -- rfk
#20 of 59 Old 07-31-2010, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I saw my RE yesterday for HCG beta and progesterone. Going back Tuesday. I'll be right on the line for u/s then so don't know if I'll have one--probably not for another few days.

I have to find a regular OB. I'm still wavering on my choice! I'll force myself to call one next week though. I have chronic hypertension and had #1 delivered at 37 weeks for severe PE, so I get lots of visits.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#21 of 59 Old 07-31-2010, 11:56 PM

My first appt is 8/31. I will be 9w2d so I'm hoping to hear a heartbeat at that visit

Jessica mama to 2 boys 6/07 & 2/09
cautiously expecting to meet someone new in April...if you know me IRL please don't out me yet! It's still a secret!
#22 of 59 Old 08-02-2010, 02:54 PM

My first appointment with the midwife is on September 29 - I'll be about 13 weeks then. What was different this time around for me, is that when I went to my family doc with the suspicion that I was pregnant with my first baby, they booked me for a bunch of tests immediately and took a pap smear that day. One of the things I am looking forward to with this pregnancy is comparing the two models of care, just out of curiosity.

Lisa - Mama to DD (12/07) and now a DS (3/11)! A wonderful uc.jpg!
#23 of 59 Old 08-03-2010, 02:38 PM

My first visit will be Sept 29. I'll be around 12 weeks, so I'm excited to hear a heartbeat.

hbac.gifknit.gifsewmachine.gif

SAHM to DD1 12/07, DD2 11/09, and expecting 04/11!
#24 of 59 Old 08-03-2010, 02:58 PM

I haven't called my m/w yet, probably will in a week or two. I'm thinking my first appt. will be at 8-10 weeks (I'm just 4w1d today). I'm trying to decide whether or not to ask about an u/s around 7 weeks. She doesn't do them, just doppler, which of course won't work that early, but I think she knows about a place in town where they're offered very inexpensively.

Heather, Mama to DS(10) DD(7.5),DD(6)
#25 of 59 Old 08-03-2010, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am going this Friday. I will only be 4 weeks. I was quite surprised they wanted to see me so soon.

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#26 of 59 Old 08-04-2010, 10:57 AM

I spoke to my HBMW yesterday and we'll make my 1st appt for sometime around 12wks so we can hear the heartbeat.

My appts after that will be ever 4-6wks, maybe even more. BUT, this is my 5th child and the 4th birth my MW will be attending for me, so we are very familiar with how each other "works".

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#27 of 59 Old 08-04-2010, 04:21 PM

I'm thinking about going around 9/10 weeks. I'e read some other posts and kind of agree that it's sort of a waste of time(if the pg is healthy) to go before then. In my case, and personal opinion. So that'll be first/second week of sept. I NEED to find an OB/GYN...i had a MW last time at a BC but dont want to go that route again bc my DS didnt move down for several hours bc I was in so much pain and sooo tired(15 hours of labor, with NO sleep for about 4 days straight.) So I think I'm going to go hospital route this time and maybe find a doula/MW to help me focus and be my voice. And I'm going to try to go only IV pain meds if I have to. I'd REALLY like to go natural...but we'll see.
#28 of 59 Old 08-04-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferadurham View Post
So I think I'm going to go hospital route this time and maybe find a doula/MW to help me focus and be my voice. And I'm going to try to go only IV pain meds if I have to. I'd REALLY like to go natural...but we'll see.
Hey,
Did you have a hard time telling your midwife what you were looking for at the birth centre? I just wonder because you are thinking of a doula to be your voice - do you mean tell the docs what your wishes are and make sure your birth plan is adhered to as much as possible?

Lisa - Mama to DD (12/07) and now a DS (3/11)! A wonderful uc.jpg!
#29 of 59 Old 08-05-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinupchamp View Post
Hey,
Did you have a hard time telling your midwife what you were looking for at the birth centre? I just wonder because you are thinking of a doula to be your voice - do you mean tell the docs what your wishes are and make sure your birth plan is adhered to as much as possible?
I didnt have any trouble. No, I mean hire a doula/MW to be there with me at the hospital to speak up for me if the nurses/dr wont listen to my needs/wants. And to be my eyes focal point. I had a MW assistant last time that saved me. She stared at me the entire time and helped me not freak out.
#30 of 59 Old 08-05-2010, 01:33 PM

I'm jealous you guys have appointments. I have to go to the Navy base for a blood test to confirm my pregnancy before I can get a referal for my MW. When I called on Tuesday I was informed they won't see me until I'm two weeks late! They won't even make me an appointment because they don't take appointments for pregnancy tests. What bothers me most is school will be starting after labor day and I wanted to get my first appoinment out of the way before then, but I don't think that will be happening now.

married 11/06, DD May 2009, DS  April 2011successful, natural 9lbs 6ozvbac.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page