Anyone in this bunch still breastfeeding and pregnant? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 88 Old 08-20-2010, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh2006 View Post
Yes! I JUST found out I'm due April 11 Crazy though, because I'm still nursing DD full time, and she's not quite 9 mos yet. Yes, I wrote NINE months! I have no idea how the pregnancy will effect my milk supply. Anyone else have some experience with this?
I'm not nursing now, but I have gotten pregnant while nursing twice before, the first time when DD1 was 6 months and the second time when DS was 7-8 months. The second time I had to quit fenugreek/blessed thistle, which never seemed to do much for me anyway.

I worked full-time during both of those pregnancies and pumped OFTEN. Due to supply and constant demand, I started supplementing shortly after getting pregnant and had fully weaned children 3 months and 5 months post LMP. Maybe nursing the baby directly will help you mamas with young infants, but for me, I had to give it up because I was only bringing home 3 ounces after being away from home for 11 hours a day.

I truly wish you the best of luck. You notice that I made it a little further the second time. I think I was a little less stressed that time.

Nina Wife to DH
Mama to DD1-4y DS-3y DD2-21m
#62 of 88 Old 08-20-2010, 10:26 PM

I may have already posted on here...but i'm nursing my 5..almost 6 yo and my almost 2 yo......my 5 yo has been wanting to nurse more frequently....i think that is due to him starting kindergarten. And the baby is waking more at night to nurse....and every time i sit down the baby wants to nurse....i find myself standing up alot or moving from the couch to the bed to the table....i'm not sure if my milk supply is dwindling.....my 5yo said the milk still tastes the same.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#63 of 88 Old 08-26-2010, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

I think my 28-month old son, who could not exist without nursing 15 times a day (and night) into his toddler months, is weaning.

This is so bittersweet.

Up until the time I got pregnant again, I used to give my nipple a squirt in the shower once in a while and be so relieved and proud to see that I still had milk, that we had come so far together in our BF relationship. He still nurses before bed, and the sound of him actually swallowing milk (not just sucking) makes me feel so comforted. But now that my nipples are sensitive and I can tell that the milk is clearly depleting, nursing has become uncomfortable for me and annoying for my son.

We've been talking about how the milk is going to go away, but hugs and cuddles will always be available. I wonder, too, if he'd go back to nursing when the baby comes and the milk is flowing again. I guess I'd welcome it - why not, right?

It's been so neat to hear all of your stories about EBF. Is anyone else noticing changes in your LOs?

Married to Tony 6/07. Mommy to Jude 4/08 and Gemma 4/11.
#64 of 88 Old 08-26-2010, 01:50 AM

DD latched on yesterday, sucked for a few seconds and then said "All gone?" I tried to squirt some milk but she was right, there wasn't a ton there. I've been drinking like crazy though and it is slightly better but this pregnancy definitely has affected my supply the most.

ETA: DD is a total booby monster as well, so I'm not sure if this will dissuade her and she will wean or what.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#65 of 88 Old 08-26-2010, 08:42 AM

I've noticed a dip in supply over the last week. ds also seems to be nursing less. down to 5 or so times a day the last several days. Sunday at his party, then with his aunt here to play with him, he went a good 12 hours without nursing at all, and I wasn't even engorged. That day he only nursed twice! There is still milk, and I know he still gets a good bit, especially in the morning when he first comes to our bed at 6. In a way I am sad, but it's also gotten uncomfortable when he latches so I am glad for a bit of a break from his all day nursing.

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#66 of 88 Old 08-26-2010, 09:22 AM

Whoops--I already subscribed to this thread and was about to reply again when I realized that it's in the April 11 DDC (I'm due in Feb)...sorry for posting in the wrong place (I'm such and MDC rookie!)...If it's at all helpful, I really thought my DS would wean when my supply dropped (he was demanding to nursing every few minutes for a few weeks when it started to decline)...I'm sure my supply is nearly nothing now, but he has returned to his normal nursing schedule--several times a day and at night--and no signs of weaning

Good luck to all your nursing April '11 mamas!!

Kat, Mama to M (July 2008) and another babe due in Feb '11
#67 of 88 Old 08-30-2010, 01:38 PM

Nursing my eight month old and certainly don't plan to wean! Going to take good care of myself because I don't want my milk supply drying up.

Right now she's sick, and nursing is off, and I don't know whether it's because she's sick or if my milk is already changing...

Never nursed pregnant and am hoping for an easy time of it! Glad to see I'm in good company.

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.
#68 of 88 Old 08-31-2010, 04:16 AM

I'm nursing my 2,5 year old, and plan to keep going.
It does HURT, but I managed to nurse through my last pregnancy, so I'm determined to keep offering this time, too.
I have been nursing constantly since the birth of my first 6 years ago, so I guess my body is quite used to it.

Happy mama to DD 04 and 08 April 2011
#69 of 88 Old 09-03-2010, 07:41 AM

My 10 mo and 2.5 yr old are nursing and I'm worried about the baby weaning too early : (

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#70 of 88 Old 09-03-2010, 12:19 PM

My son is tapering off. I'm still working on night weaning. last night he jumped into bed with us around 3 and latched on without me noticing. By then it was too late so I let him nurse. But he switched to the other side, which is more painful for me and I had to stop him. I know he misses it but I am trying to make up for it in other ways. I am hoping that he weans before the baby comes, but after his second birthday.

I feel kinda bad about it but I just have no desire to tandem nurse. I am going to try to follow his lead, and right now I am just praying for a gradual drop in supply. I won't force him to wean though. If we end up tandeming, I will go with it. But I am praying for an end to nursing in the next three months.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#71 of 88 Old 09-03-2010, 02:53 PM

It seems DS is weaning He was sick and teething earlier this week, but even now that he is better he doesn't want to nurse. I offer several times a day and sometimes he will show interest. But he doesn't latch--just puts his mouth on my nipple, then pulls away and shakes his head "no." So maybe its tasting bad to him now?

I feel sad about it. I had hoped to nightwean, but still wanted to maintain some nursing relationship with him throughout the pregnancy and hopefully beyond. Trying to just let go of that expectation, but I feel disappointed.
#72 of 88 Old 09-04-2010, 09:26 AM

Hi mommas! I'm still nursing my 18 month old. Thankfully my 3 year old JUST weaned right before I got pregnant (coincidence?). My milk supply is way down and he is asking me to nurse nonstop. I nursed through my 2nd pregnancy and developed a horrible nursing aversion and it was the worst experience ever. I am drinking so much water trying to stop it from happening. And I'm not even entertaining thoughts of weaning right now, because I tried to wean my oldest when I was pregnant the 2nd time... but he really wasn't ready. So all that happened was he felt rejected and heartbroken and I was extremely frustrated, and I think that's what started the nursing aversion for me.
#73 of 88 Old 09-07-2010, 11:54 AM

Is mommy milk tea ok to drink?

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#74 of 88 Old 11-07-2010, 03:31 PM

Who else is still nursing at this point? DD has no intention of weaning ever. It's starting to get really uncomfortable--I hope I can keep going for her.
#75 of 88 Old 11-07-2010, 05:05 PM

Last time I was pregnant, I nursed my son until my colostrum came in around 7ish months along. He stopped because he did not like the taste of the colostrum. It wasn't an especially pleasant experience, but it was bearable, and I know I had some milk the whole time. But this time, I am fairly certain I have no milk at all, and nursing my daughter is tortuous. She is completely uncooperative about limitations, crying uncontrollably while tearing at my shirt when I cannot nurse her (because of the pain). I feel horrible.
#76 of 88 Old 11-07-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddle View Post
Who else is still nursing at this point? DD has no intention of weaning ever. It's starting to get really uncomfortable--I hope I can keep going for her.
I weaned DS about a month/month and a half ago. DD is still happily nursing. She is actually nursing about 5 to 10 times a day and I am having no real issues with it. It really isn't that uncomfortable or anything. Which is a nice change since when I nursed DS through my pregnancy with DD it was rather uncomfortable and just felt off. I figure DD is likely to end up tandeming with the new baby which is fine with me, I'm not sure what I would do with just one nursling at a time after 18 months of tandem nursing.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#77 of 88 Old 11-07-2010, 07:26 PM

I'm a little over 17 weeks now, and my 18-month old is nursing 3-4 times in a 24 hr. period. She doesn't seem to mind that there is very little milk, and it isn't unbearable for me (just slightly uncomfortable). At this point, I am preparing to have two nurslings come April.

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#78 of 88 Old 11-08-2010, 12:25 AM

Yep, I'm still nursing. Baby is 14 mo now.

I've started really limiting at night, mostly because I can't handle so many interruptions in my sleep.

My nipples are sensitive, but it's do-able.

I'm 17 weeks, so if we're still nursing fine now, I'm sure we can be come April. I would be fine with dd weaning, but she'd be the first baby I had wean so soon... I always nurse them through their 2nd winter and can't imagine not doing so. We'll see, I guess.

I'm sure all the night nursing was to boost my supply up (or she was teething, or had a diaper rash or was just doing the 'I'm walking now' night time catch up, or or or) I try not to over think it and remember to give her time to nurse during the day.

I know if she gets sick or needs to nurse more she'll just ask for that. It's always so hard to read the signs of nursing toddlers....

I don't really want to tandem nurse, but I do want to let my baby be a baby as long as possible.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#79 of 88 Old 11-08-2010, 01:42 AM

Yamilee21, I feel for you. My nipples/breasts started hurting horribly about 6 weeks ago, and it go SO difficult to nurse my DD. It seemed to happen about the time that my supply began to dwindle, so she wanted to nurse more often, and I just couldn't stand it. I would let her on for a few minutes, and then tell her that she had to get off. I went ahead and put up with it until the milk was completely gone, but I started saying "no" most of the time after that. It just hurts so badly! She did have a few fits, and she asked several times every day for a couple weeks, but now she only asks once every few days, and is fine when I explain that mommy's bbs need to get ready for the new baby. My DD is 2 1/2yo. I think it's possible she might want to nurse again once the baby comes. I might even suggest that she nurse if I get engorged!LOL
The pain was so bad, and I really didn't expect it. I didn't have any pain the one other time I nursed while pregnant, but I had weaned when I was 20weeks.
#80 of 88 Old 11-08-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmeg View Post
Yep, I'm still nursing. Baby is 14 mo now.

I've started really limiting at night, mostly because I can't handle so many interruptions in my sleep.

My nipples are sensitive, but it's do-able.

I'm 17 weeks, so if we're still nursing fine now, I'm sure we can be come April. I would be fine with dd weaning, but she'd be the first baby I had wean so soon... I always nurse them through their 2nd winter and can't imagine not doing so. We'll see, I guess.

I'm sure all the night nursing was to boost my supply up (or she was teething, or had a diaper rash or was just doing the 'I'm walking now' night time catch up, or or or) I try not to over think it and remember to give her time to nurse during the day.

I know if she gets sick or needs to nurse more she'll just ask for that. It's always so hard to read the signs of nursing toddlers....

I don't really want to tandem nurse, but I do want to let my baby be a baby as long as possible.

I could have written your post word for word.

Jordana, mama to almost 8 year old Evan, 3 year old Atticus, and 1 year old Tabitha - my gifts from heaven

#81 of 88 Old 11-08-2010, 11:01 AM

We're still nursing, maybe 2-3x a day. There is some discomfort when he latches on, but then it seems to ease up a bit once he gets going. He did recently go a full 24 hours in between nursing though, and a couple mornings last week he skipped his morning nursing session. I feel like he will wean before the new baby arrives.

Quote:
I don't really want to tandem nurse, but I do want to let my baby be a baby as long as possible
this exactly. ds is 26 months, and I feel like we've made a good run of it.

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#82 of 88 Old 11-08-2010, 11:57 AM

I feel for all of you experiencing discomfort! I hope you find a way to balance the need of your nurslings and your own comfort!

This is my second time nursing through a pregnancy, and this time I night weaned about a month ago, when I felt that I really needed more uninterupted sleep (I wasn't able to go back to sleep easily after nursing, something that was easy when not pregnant). She dealt with the change without sadness (thankfully!) and is ok cuddling at night instead. Wow, that really made a difference for me, and made dealing with her day nursing so much easier. She is 2,5 years old now, but an eager nursling so I don't think she'll wean before birth. If she does I don't mind, but I would be glad to nurse her through our cold winterr

Take care of yourselves, mamas - nursing is rewarding but can also be draining if we don't fill up ourselves with joy and nutrition. Hey - it sure is time for some yoga and a cup of tea!

Happy mama to DD 04 and 08 April 2011
#83 of 88 Old 11-08-2010, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i nursed from start to finish last pregnancy and it was fine. muffin(3) decided to stop during this one. i did not let nate nurse so often since my nips were soooo painful. nate and I talk about lots of milk when baby comes and he knows he can have some too

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#84 of 88 Old 11-08-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlovs View Post

I could have written your post word for word.
It's a real jumble of emotions, isn't it?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagin37 View Post
We're still nursing, maybe 2-3x a day. There is some discomfort when he latches on, but then it seems to ease up a bit once he gets going. He did recently go a full 24 hours in between nursing though, and a couple mornings last week he skipped his morning nursing session. I feel like he will wean before the new baby arrives.

this exactly. ds is 26 months, and I feel like we've made a good run of it.
You have!! I nursed ds that long; weaning happened pretty gently (he initiated) and it was when I wasn't pg, so I would have gone longer, if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havsulen View Post
This is my second time nursing through a pregnancy, and this time I night weaned about a month ago, when I felt that I really needed more uninterupted sleep (I wasn't able to go back to sleep easily after nursing, something that was easy when not pregnant). She dealt with the change without sadness (thankfully!) and is ok cuddling at night instead. Wow, that really made a difference for me, and made dealing with her day nursing so much easier. She is 2,5 years old now, but an eager nursling so I don't think she'll wean before birth. If she does I don't mind, but I would be glad to nurse her through our cold winterr
I am glad to hear that someone else has the sleep interruption issues!! Argh! My dd is NOT taking to the cuddling very well (she's a little young for nightweaning, IMHO) but we're getting there and she's learning how to go back to sleep without nursing. I waver between guilt and knowing that 'it all comes out in the wash.' Lots of kids have learned how to sleep through the night pretty well by now... just not mine!!

And then I have to remember that nightweaning *might* help the nightwaking but the two aren't necessarily related. But I figure if we can change the association from 'I have to nurse back to sleep' to 'back rub & paci' we'll both do better come this spring- and now!!

I feel guilty when I set limits (which *I* need for my sanity) and then mad if I don't make my needs known... Hahaha- is motherhood anything but guilt?!!

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#85 of 88 Old 11-10-2010, 09:24 AM

My lo is 26 mo and he has really cut back on the amount of nursing, he does nurse once a  night and will ask for water after he nurses. I've tried to manual express and nothing comes out. I'm wondering if it's dried up all ready. The last pregnancy i nursed through...I could express some droplets...but this time i'm getting nothing.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#86 of 88 Old 11-10-2010, 09:33 AM

My 2 year old is still nursing. I recently nightweaned her as she had increased her night nursing and it was incredibly painful. She nurses several times throughout the day, and it's painful, but I go with it. I don't think she'll wean any time soon.

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
#87 of 88 Old 11-11-2010, 05:36 AM

Just weaned DS about 2 weeks ago. Nursing was painful and I was really just done. My milk dried up completely though, so that made the transition easier. He still wanted to nurse, but gave it up easily too. He's 22 months. I thought I'd be sad about it, but I'm really doing okay. I didn't want to tandem, so I'm glad I have a break between this kid and the new baby smile.gif Oh and I'm 15 1/2 weeks.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#88 of 88 Old 11-13-2010, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

DS is done. Has been for over a month now. It was easier on him and on me than I thought it would be. Perhaps because he is STTN for the first time in his 2.5 years. Ahhh. (Now, if only I could, but I'm plagued with insomnia again for this preg). Funny dream last night... I dreamt that DS latched on, but all he got were the sputtery drops like you get at the bottom of a glass when you drink though a straw. It even made that slurp sound!

Married to Tony 6/07. Mommy to Jude 4/08 and Gemma 4/11.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page