Anyone in this bunch still breastfeeding and pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 88 Old 07-27-2010, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wondering at what point my milk will dry up. DS can't be getting much these days, but he's still very interested several times a day... and night.

Thanks!

Married to Tony 6/07. Mommy to Jude 4/08 and Gemma 4/11.
#2 of 88 Old 07-27-2010, 11:39 PM

I'm still breastfeeding 2 while pregnant. I do hope to wean my 3 year old before the baby is born. I know that when pregnant with DD I had milk through at least the 5 month point, after that I wasn't that sure, but since it never stopped DS from nursing I never really worried about it.

Based on DD's reactions at the moment I am pretty sure my supply is majorly down right now at 5 weeks since she is wanting to nurse every 45 minutes or less and whining about it. DS hasn't said anything about it yet, but I am pretty sure he just likes nursing milk or no milk. DD on the other hand is still getting about 50% of her calories a day from breastfeeding so less milk is annoying her far more.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#3 of 88 Old 07-28-2010, 12:04 AM

Me! Little of the unknown as I never did this before. They are starting to hurt now when he latches on...

DS is 3 and before BFP we were trying to convince him to wean but I wanted it to be his decision. Now I'm starting to get the urge to encourage it a little more as it just would be time...it would be a beautiful thing to continue but I just have mixed feelings. The other issue for me is guilt. He's always been the center of my world and I don't want to make him feel pushed aside because of a new baby. I know he won't be but...the feeling is still there for me...
#4 of 88 Old 07-28-2010, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

I have mixed feelings too. My breasts do not hurt yet, so I guess we'll keep the "nummies" flowing as long as we can.

NJ, I know what you mean about balancing attention of both children. I worry about this a lot. I had 100% of my time to give to DS, and he's grown accustomed to this. I KNOW all the important life skills we learn from having siblings, but it's going to be a hard shift for me, I think. I've been very irritable since conceiving, and I find myself apologizing for being short-tempered and impatient with DS. This seems to be all the more reason to keep our BF relationship.

Married to Tony 6/07. Mommy to Jude 4/08 and Gemma 4/11.
#5 of 88 Old 07-28-2010, 09:00 AM

Yes!!! Thank you for making me feel not so alone on the irritable thing! I don't know why I'm so grumpy, okay well I know why, but I feel so horrible. He insists on nursing and refuses to just snuggle - which I try and try to just snuggle with him and it never is enough for him. My nips hurt!!!
#6 of 88 Old 07-28-2010, 09:46 AM

My nipples hurt too and are super dry I've had to break out the lanolin and keep it on them at all times. At least my DS is willing to listen when I tell him they hurt and need a break and will only nurse as long as I can stand it. My DD on the other hand wants to nurse right now and for 15+ minutes at a time and whines if I delatch her. She is not happy with the whole less milk thing.

As for irritable, DH has taken the kids out the last two nights for a couple of hours because I was so done with them by the time he got home, and DS had camp for almost 4 hours yesterday so it wasn't like he was here the whole day. I am totally irritable and it is annoying.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#7 of 88 Old 07-28-2010, 12:07 PM

I came here to start this exact thread!

My 20 month old DD is still nursing, and there must be a decrease in supply, because she is asking for milk all the time! I think she nursed non-stop last night. Fortunately it's not hurting, yet. I do hope that DD continues nursing as I believe tandem nursing my girls really helped DD1 grow closer to her baby sister.

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
#8 of 88 Old 07-28-2010, 04:49 PM

I'm still nursing my 2 year old (well, she'll be 2 in two weeks.) She still nurses for naps and bed time, but she tends to wake up 4 times a night to nurse. I'm hoping to night wean her before I get too far along. Maybe in three or four months? Anyone else planning on weaning or night weaning?

me(29) and dh(27) -- SAHM to dd (8/7/8) --
Thrilled to be expecting our second baby - 4/6/11
#9 of 88 Old 07-28-2010, 05:30 PM

My DD is turning one in two weeks and is definitely still nursing. She is less interested these days as she is learning to walk, but it is still a major part of her nutrition. We will hopefully wean before she is 18 months. I am not interested in tandem nursing (though I admire women who can do it) and I want there to be a bit of a break between DD nursing and the new LO coming she that it isn't like the the new LO is "stealing" DD's boobies! I am also on a limited diet because DD is intolerant of dairy, soy, and eggs and am losing a lot of weight. I don't want gaining weight to be a problem if I on a limited diet, nursing, and pregnant.

Natalie ~ DH 8/04 ~ DD 8/09 ~ Identical Twin Boys Arrived at 34w5d on March 2, 2011

#10 of 88 Old 07-28-2010, 11:03 PM

I'm still nursing too. I have an 18 month old that's hooked. I didn't dry up through my last pregnancy so I doubt I will this time either but we shall see. I would like to night wean before baby comes. Hopefully we'll start that process slowly in a few months though he only wakes once or twice to nurse so it's not horrible.
I have started the "you can nurse while I count to 5" thing and he totally understand and respects that so I have an easy out if I'm feeling irritated at the moment.

Jessica mama to 2 boys 6/07 & 2/09
cautiously expecting to meet someone new in April...if you know me IRL please don't out me yet! It's still a secret!
#11 of 88 Old 07-29-2010, 06:12 PM

I'm still breastfeeding my 19 month old - about 5 times a day or so although we did night wean about a month ago (pretty sure that's what got me ovulating again!). So far, I haven't had any discomfort. At this point I'm just playing it by ear in terms of weaning or continuing on. I do hope the frequency goes down though! I'm open to tandem nursing (I think!) so we'll see!

Meredith, mama to Callum (12-28-08 ) and now expecting a new bean in early spring
#12 of 88 Old 07-30-2010, 11:41 PM

Just got my BFP this am and am also BFing. My DD just turned 1, 13 days ago and I'm definitely not ready for her to wean. I hope to BF her and tandom if she wants. I really want her to initiate her time to wean and I don't see that happening any time soon.

33 Year Old w/ a on the way w/ my DH. EDD 4/6/2011. Mama to Lotus Olivia 7/17/09 and fur mom to 1 and 1
#13 of 88 Old 07-31-2010, 12:42 AM

i'm here! still nursing my 22 month old ds, on demand. hoping to keep nursing as long we both can stand it.

no breast pain as yet, just a significant drop in supply and some occasional "ah, get me outta here!" feelings. during the day it's not so bad, as we both are easily distracted. but at night we bed-share and there is no where to run! makes me a bit

only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly -- rfk
#14 of 88 Old 07-31-2010, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbelle View Post
I'm still breastfeeding my 19 month old - about 5 times a day or so although we did night wean about a month ago (pretty sure that's what got me ovulating again!). So far, I haven't had any discomfort. At this point I'm just playing it by ear in terms of weaning or continuing on. I do hope the frequency goes down though! I'm open to tandem nursing (I think!) so we'll see!
Sorry this is OT, but just had to say Hi Meredith! Kat from TBW here Congrats on your pregnancy!

I am 11 weeks right now (due mid/late Feb) and still nursing my 2 year old. I had some pain during the first few weeks, but much less now. I love nursing him, but it has kind of been driving me nuts lately as he wants to nurse ALL the time. We'll probably go 15 minutes after a nursing session before he asks to nurse again! If we're out and about, he can be distracted for a few hours, but at home, it's non-stop. I'm not trying to wean him, but I do tell him no fairly often--my house is a disaster and I'm not getting anything done (also, might go crazy reading curious george for the millionth time--what we do while nursing) b/c we're nursing so often! But then when we're not nursing, I don't have much energy to do stuff anyway, so saying no might be self defeating. I wasn't sure what was going on, but I guess it is b/c my supply is dropping as other posters have suggested. Sorry you mamas are going through this because it is a bit draining! Any suggestions for how to handle the constant requests (and still maintain sanity??)?

Kat, Mama to M (July 2008) and another babe due in Feb '11
#15 of 88 Old 07-31-2010, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreenemama View Post
I'm wondering at what point my milk will dry up. DS can't be getting much these days, but he's still very interested several times a day... and night.

Thanks!
This is a great article on milk supply while pregnant...
http://www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/f...lkchanges.html

HTH!

Kat, Mama to M (July 2008) and another babe due in Feb '11
#16 of 88 Old 08-01-2010, 09:01 PM

Still nursing my 26-month-old. I was thinking that was why my breasts hadn't gotten swollen like others have talked about. Then this morning they were definitely spongey and squishy (usually they are just flat all the time because he keeps them drained--the only time they fill up is if I don't nurse him for like 24 hours). So the hormones are definitely kicking in!
#17 of 88 Old 08-02-2010, 01:32 PM

Hey there mamas and congrats to you all! I'm still nursing my two and a half year old and boy oh boy - does it hurt sometimes. Mostly when she latches on and/or has a bad latch. We'll see if she carries on throughout the pregnancy. I've always wanted to try tandem nursing. Thanks for starting this thread!

Lisa - Mama to DD (12/07) and now a DS (3/11)! A wonderful uc.jpg!
#18 of 88 Old 08-02-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateye View Post
Sorry this is OT, but just had to say Hi Meredith! Kat from TBW here Congrats on your pregnancy!

I am 11 weeks right now (due mid/late Feb) and still nursing my 2 year old. I had some pain during the first few weeks, but much less now. I love nursing him, but it has kind of been driving me nuts lately as he wants to nurse ALL the time. We'll probably go 15 minutes after a nursing session before he asks to nurse again! If we're out and about, he can be distracted for a few hours, but at home, it's non-stop. I'm not trying to wean him, but I do tell him no fairly often--my house is a disaster and I'm not getting anything done (also, might go crazy reading curious george for the millionth time--what we do while nursing) b/c we're nursing so often! But then when we're not nursing, I don't have much energy to do stuff anyway, so saying no might be self defeating. I wasn't sure what was going on, but I guess it is b/c my supply is dropping as other posters have suggested. Sorry you mamas are going through this because it is a bit draining! Any suggestions for how to handle the constant requests (and still maintain sanity??)?
Thanks Kat - congrats to you too! Looks like we'll have quite a few new WP babies this spring

Meredith, mama to Callum (12-28-08 ) and now expecting a new bean in early spring
#19 of 88 Old 08-02-2010, 04:24 PM

Yes! I JUST found out I'm due April 11 Crazy though, because I'm still nursing DD full time, and she's not quite 9 mos yet. Yes, I wrote NINE months! I have no idea how the pregnancy will effect my milk supply. Anyone else have some experience with this?

hbac.gifknit.gifsewmachine.gif

SAHM to DD1 12/07, DD2 11/09, and expecting 04/11!
#20 of 88 Old 08-02-2010, 04:55 PM

Ah! So that explains the non-stop requests to nurse! DS is 16 months and the night wakings and day time requests to nurse have been out. of. control. lately! Doesn't help that my nipples hurt horribly! I've never told him no to nursing before, but have had to at least three times in the last week.

So my question to all you wise mamas who have done this before--does the nipple pain decrease? Or do I have to look forward to 9 months of this if I keep nursing DS? I think I plan to night wean too (notice the non-commital wording there), but have all of the same feelings noted by the other women on here. Also, I just don't know if I have the energy to do it. It's all I can do to get through the day as it is. Even more lack of sleep might just kill me.

So glad to have found this Due date club!
#21 of 88 Old 08-04-2010, 06:50 PM

Just got my BFP (very unexpected since I went through infertility before DD and never had a PPAF) My last period was July of 2008!!
After the initial excitement, I started crying thinking about DD and her precious nursies
I don't know what to do?! Should I start to offer her cow/goat milk? Up until now, she only gets breastmilk and water. I am worried about my supply drying up and her nutrition suffering.
I am definitely planning to encourage her to continue breastfeeding throughout this pregnancy; she still seems so little to me...
I am really looking forward to hearing from you wise mommas with tandem experience!

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#22 of 88 Old 08-08-2010, 09:56 PM

This is new territory for me, but I'm nursing my 15mo about 4x a day. No plans to stop but will see how he reacts to any changes in milk taste or supply and we'll see how my body does with being pg and bf.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#23 of 88 Old 08-08-2010, 11:25 PM
TMB

Yup, just got a BFP today and still nursing my 16 mo about 3x a day. He has pulled off a few times and looked at me quizzically in the past few days, so I wonder if the taste is starting to change already. I don't want the pg to change things for him, but I guess we'll see how it goes.

Tara - mama to Wes (4/3/09) and DC#2 due 4/16/11 --fx
#24 of 88 Old 08-09-2010, 12:37 AM

Tandem nursing here, my 5yo and 23mo...my 23mo has been nursing non-stop the past week, its like he's a newborn all over again. I cant imagine nursing 3 kiddos.....i dont forsee my 5 yo stopping anytime soon. No nipple soreness yet...hopefully it will pass me. So far so good.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#25 of 88 Old 08-09-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh2006 View Post
Yes! I JUST found out I'm due April 11 Crazy though, because I'm still nursing DD full time, and she's not quite 9 mos yet. Yes, I wrote NINE months! I have no idea how the pregnancy will effect my milk supply. Anyone else have some experience with this?
Yes me... my son is 9 months too. He will be 10 months tomorrow and is about 75% breastfed still. This was NOT a planned pregnancy. I'm excited about the baby but very worried about my milk supply. I wanted to nurse ds till close to age 2 like I did with my dd. Not sure when I am due yet. Its either late march/ early april. Or mid april. Having a dating u/s Friday. We were planning on a third but not this early... oh well. But yeah worried about the milk supply. My nipps hurt, and this morning I started puking. Oh joy.

All natural Mama to Keira 6/1/07, Israel 10/10/ 09, Nairi 04/01/2011, and #4 March 2013

#26 of 88 Old 08-09-2010, 09:38 AM

I'm still nursing ds, who is almost 2. He still nurse a TON throughout the day, but not as much at night anymore. Maybe once early in the morning when he comes to our bed. One of my biggest worries about getting pregnant has been how it will affect our nursing relationship. I'm very afraid of him having to wean before he's ready because my milk dries up.

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#27 of 88 Old 08-09-2010, 02:13 PM

I'm still nursing an almost 2 year-old. We've just night weaned (after multiple tries in the past... we've finally had success!) and honestly I'm hoping to wean completely sometime during this pregnancy.

Baby Boy 9/08 & Baby Girl 3/11

#28 of 88 Old 08-09-2010, 02:25 PM
rcr

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am nursing my 2.5 YO, but really hoping to stop soon. He is not cooperating. I have been trying to stop nursing for about 6 months.

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

#29 of 88 Old 08-09-2010, 05:59 PM

Yes! Me! I'm tandemn nursing my 2.5 yo and my 1yo! I will probably wean the DD2 soon because I worry about DD3 not getting her "fair share" of breastmilk.

This is my 3rd pregnancy that I will be nursing -- from my experience, I felt like my milk supply dropped sometime in the 2nd tri, never down to nothing, and my toddlers never stopped due to lack of milk, but they did compensate by eating tons more solids (we don't give them cow's milk b/c DD1 was allergic).

DD2 was only 9mo when I got pregnant with DD3, and I was stressed! I was so worried she'd stop nursing or be compromised because of the new baby. She didn't gain a pound while I was pg (but she was a huge 9mo -- 24lbs -- so it might have been her turn to thin out anyway) but gained 5 lbs after DD3 was born. I always had enough milk for both of them, and even though I tandemn nurse, I don't nurse them at the same time. The toddler always has to wait until I can put the baby down, and they learned pretty fast that fussing about it doesn't get them milk any faster!

I don't love nursing during pregnancy -- but it's not awful. Some nipple soreness but it's bearable.

Mama to 4 girls    chicken3.gif5/05, 12/07, 9/09, 3/11   winner.jpghomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg

#30 of 88 Old 08-09-2010, 06:46 PM

I'm nursing my almost 16-month old. She's ramped up her nursing, asking quite a bit during the day when she was pretty much day-weaned before and, right now, that's okay. My nipples aren't super sore, but I do have that weird skin-crawling aversion I'd heard people talk about. I wake up at night w/ her nursing and just want to jump out of bed...

I'm kinda sad about it, I know the massive early-pg hormones can do a number on logic, but I'm feeling guilty for feeling bad about nursing, does that make sense?
I guess, for me, I'm still in shock- we didn't expect to conceive w/o way more intervention than we had, so I hadn't really processed thru how I would feel if we did.

I'm planning to tandem if she's interested, she'll be right around 2 when new baby gets here.

reading.gifdiaper.gif ♥ baby.gif baby.gif ♥
but a lesson must be lived in order to be learned.
and the clarity to see and stop this now
that is what i've earned (a.d.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page