April DDC PAL Mamas - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 261 Old 10-25-2010, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pattimomma, I really admire you for sharing your story. Your adoption was absolutely a loss, and it was so moving to me to read your articulation of how this event has affected you, especially because the perspective of birth mothers seems to often be overlooked. I am sorry for the loss of your ectopic pregnancy as well, but I rejoice for you and all of us who are expecting again!

Nothing too new to report on my front except that, as I've posted elsewhere, we had an ultrasound at 13 weeks and saw a healthy baby, still measuring a couple days ahead, moving around like crazy--nothing frantic, just nice steady waves and kicks (we were supposed to have the ultrasound at 12 weeks, when I heard the heartbeat, but the doctor was away on a delivery). It looked like it was just chillin'. Hey, if I got to be suspended in a bubble of warm fluid all the time, I'd be enjoying myself, too! I know its movements aren't really conscious yet but I like to think it was playing/just enjoying its environment.

Since hearing the heartbeat, and especially last week seeing it look like an actual human, my husband has been really wowed and excited. He's not a super demonstrative guy, but he's been patting my belly and "communing" with--as he calls it--"the little dude." (I always amend, "Or dudette.") It's so sweet, and I am so in love and happy right now--he doesn't necessarily believe it, but I KNOW he'll be a great dad.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#242 of 261 Old 10-25-2010, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Oh, yes...my DH is also getting a bit more attached.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#243 of 261 Old 10-26-2010, 10:11 AM

Thanks for the kind words. I have been reading this thread since the beginning I just never posted until now. It is nice to see that other people have the same fears and so forth. I have started having some pretty bad nightmares but doc appointment tomorrow so hopefully that will get better.

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#244 of 261 Old 10-26-2010, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
There was a great thread about nightmares during pregnancy. It's under "I'm pregnant". They must be related to hormones or something because there were lots of moms on there talking about seriously graphic dreams. Odd symptom for sure.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#245 of 261 Old 10-26-2010, 08:40 PM

I'm a little nervous about my appointment Thursday. Why can't I just relax? Everyone is so sure and upbeat about this babe and I just can't settle it in my mind..It's so hard to trust. I'm trying though!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#246 of 261 Old 11-01-2010, 12:08 PM

Stayseeliz--how did your appointment go? I'm sorry, I meant to reply to this post earlier and it got lost in the shuffle. Forgive me if you updated elsewhere.

AFM--I just have to vent/freak about something. Saturday DH and I went to a Halloween party with people from his work. A lot of them are a little older than us, have small kids, etc. Anyway, word was trickling out that I am pregnant and there were lots of congrats, advice, etc. which was nice. But then this one lady said something that really has been eating at me.

She asked how far along I am and I said "almost 15 weeks." And--she just got this look on her face, and said, "Oh, that's early." Then she paused and said, "I hope everything goes well for you." (She was older, in her 60s, and only has one kid--I can only think maybe she suffered a miscarriage or something? But still, why would you say that to a complete stranger? She doesn't even work w/DH--was a friend of a coworker.)

WTF???? It totally freaked me out and made me realize it IS still early. I know this is a time when people tell but now I'm feeling really insecure about it. I know chances of something going wrong are low, but that it can happen--and now I'm imagining un-telling and I just feel COMPLETELY destabilized, thrown back into all the anxiety of the first trimester.

I am trying to stay calm and just remind myself that I have had no signs anything is wrong, every appointment shows a healthy and strong-looking baby, measuring right on target or even a little bit ahead. My 16 week appointment is in just over a week, but now I really wish I had a doppler or something to reassure me...

How are you all feeling? How do you feel now that the news as become public for at least some of you? Did I tell too early? Have you had to battle these destabilizing moments lately?

Thanks for the love.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#247 of 261 Old 11-01-2010, 12:31 PM

Blanca,

Sometimes people just do not think before they open their mouths and words spew out. A simple "congratulations" would have sufficed. I'm really sorry that lady freaked you out like that. It's the last thing any of us need.

I have a lot of the same fears that you describe and I admit that I'm not always the best with coping with them. I just try to take things one day at a time. My next appointment isn't until 18 weeks. I think the birth center I go to allows a set amount of appointments and I had used quite a few in the beginning so now I need to space them out a little. The doppler is the best thing I've ever purchased. Without that, I would be freaking out daily.

heartbeat.gif Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 6, 3, 2) & 3 angel1.gif
#248 of 261 Old 11-01-2010, 01:49 PM

My appointment was fine if not exciting. They were super busy that day so I didn't get long with the dr which was fine. Heard the hb on doppler. Scheduled my anatomy scan for 3 weeks from today. We'll be finding out the sex and I can't wait!!

Blanca-That was inconsiderate of her!! People should think before they speak. Sorry she said something to freak you out.

I don't feel confident yet at all. Of course I feel better than I did in the first tri but I don't actually believe it all yet. My MIL said she'd bought an exersaucer for her house at a garage sale a few weeks ago and when we went over there on Saturday she had it out in the middle of the floor. That really freaked me out!!

I worry about the kids too. They talk about the baby all the time and it worries me. I know I just need to chill and remember that I can't control anything. I just have to take one day at a time!

I'm honestly feeling like poo lately. I had a few weeks with more energy and now I'm exhausted again. This is hard with 3 kids, homeschooling and a DH that has to work long hours to keep us solvent. I'm thankful for a slower week and a few naps to look forward to this week!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#249 of 261 Old 11-02-2010, 08:16 AM

blanca- I can't believe that woman said that to you.

Quote:
How are you all feeling? How do you feel now that the news as become public for at least some of you? Did I tell too early? Have you had to battle these destabilizing moments lately?
I'm hoping this headache I've had since Saturday is finally gone. I think it's allergy related cause I'm blowing my nose and sneezing a lot more. And this weather is just all over the place. Yesterday was 85, today high of 65. I'm also tired too.

Nearly everyone knows, but I have yet to post on FB yet. At work, the news spread like wildfire, so now nearly everyone knows. More ppl are going to start figuring it out soon cause I had to start wearing my maternity pants. I don't really look pregnant yet, just a little chubby in the belly. My ab muscles have already loosened up.

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#250 of 261 Old 11-06-2010, 04:41 PM

Woo Hoo! My hematoma is gone! Yay!

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#251 of 261 Old 11-09-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy918 View Post
Woo Hoo! My hematoma is gone! Yay!
Great news, Skippy! I somehow missed this post earlier.

I looked up this thread because I just wanted to see--how are you all doing? Especially, anxiety-wise?

My 16 week appointment is coming up Wednesday afternoon--Lauren, I think yours is that day, too? Anyone else?

I have been obsessively googling "second trimester missed miscarriages." Dumb, I know. But I can't stop worrying something is wrong. A big part of it is, I'm not showing and I just don't have any super "I'm pregnant" symptoms. Is anyone else in this limbo land? Did you feel that way with previous pregnancies? I am having headaches almost daily, and RLP a fair amount, but that's about it. I guess before I got pregnant I would have thought there would be more obvious signs right now. I want PROOF! Guess I'll have to wait till Wednesday and count on hearing the heartbeat then.

#252 of 261 Old 11-09-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanca78 View Post
I have been obsessively googling "second trimester missed miscarriages."
I totally understand! Before my last appointment I had totally talked myself into being prepared for a "there is no heartbeat" announcement. They found the heartbeat right away and it was going strong so I had just psyched myself out.

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#253 of 261 Old 11-09-2010, 02:13 AM

Blanca,

Yes, I felt that way with all prior pregnancies. It won't be too much longer and we all should be feeling movement. I hope all goes well at your appointment Wed. My next one isn't until the 28th.

#254 of 261 Old 11-10-2010, 06:16 AM

I did the same thing at my 16w appointment. I just knew there wasn't going to be a hb and I freaked out and they found the hb right away. I feel a little better since I'm feeling the baby move everyday now. Not all day but enough that it's reassuring. But I'll be going into my high risk time in the 3rd tri but I'm just not going to think about it much. I've never had a loss past 5 weeks but I had preeclampsia and some other issues with my youngest at 31-37w. I'm mentally trying to prep for the possibility of bedrest and being watched VERY closely. Ick. Whatever it takes though!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattimomma View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanca78 View Post
I have been obsessively googling "second trimester missed miscarriages."
I totally understand! Before my last appointment I had totally talked myself into being prepared for a "there is no heartbeat" announcement. They found the heartbeat right away and it was going strong so I had just psyched myself out.

#255 of 261 Old 11-10-2010, 07:13 AM

Thanks for the replies! I feel better now. When MDC was down yesterday I googled "16 weeks don't feel pregnant" and I found lots of threads on this--where the signatures of pretty much all the respondents who said they didn't feel pregnant and were convinced something was wrong went on to have their babies as scheduled.

Plus, last night i woke up and was lying on my stomach and I wonder if maybe I did feel something move? Just a little swish or something--hard to describe and I was half asleep, but it was reassuring. I'm so excited to feel movement for real. And to stop feeling fat/start being obviously pregnant. My mom said she didn't show till at least 20 weeks w/me, so I guess I just have a few more weeks to wait.

#256 of 261 Old 11-10-2010, 07:52 AM

Blanca,

At this point the baby's movements are so subtle. I'm an old pro at this and I still have a hard time telling the difference between movement or digestive gurgles.

Also, with my 1st full term pregnancy, I didn't show until about 20 weeks. Even then it wasn't a huge belly. I didn't look obviously pregnant until about 25 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanca78 View Post

Thanks for the replies! I feel better now. When MDC was down yesterday I googled "16 weeks don't feel pregnant" and I found lots of threads on this--where the signatures of pretty much all the respondents who said they didn't feel pregnant and were convinced something was wrong went on to have their babies as scheduled.

Plus, last night i woke up and was lying on my stomach and I wonder if maybe I did feel something move? Just a little swish or something--hard to describe and I was half asleep, but it was reassuring. I'm so excited to feel movement for real. And to stop feeling fat/start being obviously pregnant. My mom said she didn't show till at least 20 weeks w/me, so I guess I just have a few more weeks to wait.

#257 of 261 Old 11-10-2010, 09:40 AM

I felt the same way around 16 weeks. At 19 weeks I'm still having a hard time distinguishing between baby movements and whatever else is happening down there, and I felt DD2 super early so it makes me a little nervous.

We have our 20 week u/s next Wednesday and I'm so nervous. I'm praying that we have a healthy baby in there.

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
#258 of 261 Old 11-10-2010, 11:41 AM

Sounds like the anxiety just doesn't go away, does it? I know I'll be a wreck before our big ultrasound, too. From what I've heard every baby is different--maybe this one is just a little calmer! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannybanany View Post

I felt the same way around 16 weeks. At 19 weeks I'm still having a hard time distinguishing between baby movements and whatever else is happening down there, and I felt DD2 super early so it makes me a little nervous.

We have our 20 week u/s next Wednesday and I'm so nervous. I'm praying that we have a healthy baby in there.

AFM, just got back from my appointment. Everything is fine--heartbeat strong, 140 bpm, uterus measuring right where it should be. I am so relieved, and realizing that this was the news I was expecting all along--this helps me put some of my anxiety in perspective.

I'm a little freaked because at the last minute I decided to go ahead and do the quad test, and now I'm really not sure that was the right decision. I was on the fence up until the moment I said yes. My thinking is, the chances of a reassuring result are far, far greater than the chances of a "bad" result, and if there IS something wrong, I would feel I needed to prepare. My doctor said in her practice, she has only seen a handful of women come back with results over 1/40 for Down's, and none of them had babies with the syndrome. At any rate, the next step after that would be a more detailed ultrasound, which would be likely to rule out the incompatible-with-life trisomies as well as NTDs. 

One thing that's a little weird--my doctor said because of my anxiety level, she felt it would be more reassuring for me to have a level II ultrasound rather than the standard 20-week ultrasound. I agreed because I like the idea of being able to rule out as much as possible, and if there were a problem, I would want to be prepared. But at the same time, in some ways it's more nervewracking--ignorance is bliss, I suppose? So many things to think about. It's been a maelstrom of what ifs the last few days. I feel a bit like an emotional gimp, but at the same time, my doctor was with me through my molar pregnancy and was very understanding of the fact that a lot of my anxiety is coming from that experience--I had something out of the blue happen in my first pregnancy that was a 1/1500 chance, so it's hard not to shake the idea that if a bad thing happened once, it might happen again. It's so hard not to think in numbers--before that experience I never would have thought I would be the one out of 1500. But now I keep thinking, "Who am I to think I WOULDN"T be that one?" and the odds of Downs or other disorders are lower than having a molar pregnancy. 

What decisions did you all make re. testing? Do you feel your previous losses affected your feelings? 

#259 of 261 Old 11-10-2010, 01:02 PM

I take any testing that involves an ultrasound so I can see that baby. It helps relieve my anxiety to know that all is well in there. Next up is a level II u/s around 20 weeks. With my youngest LO, I ended up with 3 u/s between 20-25 weeks because she wasn't cooperating and in the right position for them to see certain things.

#260 of 261 Old 11-10-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren82 View Post

I take any testing that involves an ultrasound so I can see that baby. It helps relieve my anxiety to know that all is well in there. Next up is a level II u/s around 20 weeks. With my youngest LO, I ended up with 3 u/s between 20-25 weeks because she wasn't cooperating and in the right position for them to see certain things.

Glad I'm not the only one getting the more detailed ultrasound then. It sounds like your experience is what the doctor was predicting for me--anxiety being relieved from more information.

Feeling a lot better now--went to a meditation group and I feel like stuff is much more in perspective. The overwhelming odds are that everything is fine. I should get the quad screen results on Friday and chances are those will provide additional assurance. If not, and I am told I have an elevated risk, chances are STILL that everything is fine, and the detailed ultrasound after that should provide yet more information. 

So, for the time being, I am trying to acknowledge and enjoy that my little baby is strong and kicking in there! 

#261 of 261 Old 11-10-2010, 05:17 PM

I didn't do the quad screening since I know there is such a high rate of false positives and I don't want that stress. I figure the anatomy scan is enough. Mine is a week from Monday. I'm a little anxious about it. I just want a healthy baby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanca78 View Post

Sounds like the anxiety just doesn't go away, does it? I know I'll be a wreck before our big ultrasound, too. From what I've heard every baby is different--maybe this one is just a little calmer! 

AFM, just got back from my appointment. Everything is fine--heartbeat strong, 140 bpm, uterus measuring right where it should be. I am so relieved, and realizing that this was the news I was expecting all along--this helps me put some of my anxiety in perspective.

I'm a little freaked because at the last minute I decided to go ahead and do the quad test, and now I'm really not sure that was the right decision. I was on the fence up until the moment I said yes. My thinking is, the chances of a reassuring result are far, far greater than the chances of a "bad" result, and if there IS something wrong, I would feel I needed to prepare. My doctor said in her practice, she has only seen a handful of women come back with results over 1/40 for Down's, and none of them had babies with the syndrome. At any rate, the next step after that would be a more detailed ultrasound, which would be likely to rule out the incompatible-with-life trisomies as well as NTDs. 

One thing that's a little weird--my doctor said because of my anxiety level, she felt it would be more reassuring for me to have a level II ultrasound rather than the standard 20-week ultrasound. I agreed because I like the idea of being able to rule out as much as possible, and if there were a problem, I would want to be prepared. But at the same time, in some ways it's more nervewracking--ignorance is bliss, I suppose? So many things to think about. It's been a maelstrom of what ifs the last few days. I feel a bit like an emotional gimp, but at the same time, my doctor was with me through my molar pregnancy and was very understanding of the fact that a lot of my anxiety is coming from that experience--I had something out of the blue happen in my first pregnancy that was a 1/1500 chance, so it's hard not to shake the idea that if a bad thing happened once, it might happen again. It's so hard not to think in numbers--before that experience I never would have thought I would be the one out of 1500. But now I keep thinking, "Who am I to think I WOULDN"T be that one?" and the odds of Downs or other disorders are lower than having a molar pregnancy. 

What decisions did you all make re. testing? Do you feel your previous losses affected your feelings? 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page