Homebirth Mamas! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 63 Old 08-06-2010, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Who plans to birth at home? We're planning our third home waterbirth, with the same lovely midwife who attended the birth of our two girls. We had a homebirth planned for our first baby, but (long story short) ended up in the hospital. I LOVE giving birth at home, and the warm water is such a great relaxer/pain reliever.

Heather, Mama to DS(10) DD(7.5),DD(6)
#2 of 63 Old 08-06-2010, 07:56 AM

I'm planning for my 1st homebirth. My first was a birth center then transfer to the hospital (but non emergent, not traumatic) the 2nd a perfect birth center water birth. I just feel like it would be way easier to do it at home this time. BUT I know DH, although he respects my decision and will be supportive, is a bit hesitant on homebirth. I think its more because of our animals and maybe he's concerned about mess. Or maybe its because I tend to be a freak when I know people are coming over. Like worrying that everything is clean enough, etc. I don't know. But the midwife I think we will be using also has a birth center- however I am PLANNING my 1st homebirth. :-)

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#3 of 63 Old 08-06-2010, 09:28 AM

oh, oh, us too!! we want a home birth!! this is our first and i have (for a long, long time) felt very against hospital birth... it's just not for me. i would do a birthcenter birth if i had to, but i really like the idea of the comfort of home, ykwim?!

we were just watching a documentary last night called "The Business of Being Born". lots of great info about non-hospital birth... i'd really recommend watching it! you can watch instantly on Netflix...

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#4 of 63 Old 08-06-2010, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
We're planning our second home waterbirth with the same midwife who was there for DS's birth. His birth was short and sweet, in a little second-floor apartment. I'm excited to be giving birth in a house we own this time, where be plan to live for a very very long time.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#5 of 63 Old 08-06-2010, 10:47 AM

I'll be doing my first semi-home birth! Our house is wayyyy out in the country and DH is uncomfortable being so far away from a hospital in case anything goes wrong, so we compromised. My M/W has a beautiful time share right next to a large hospital, hot tub and all, just for situations like mine I'm psyched! Anyone have any suggestions on favorite HB books?

Wife (32) of 8 years to DH (33), Mom to Logan geek.gif (7), and Tristan and Cael, twins.gif the wee ones, born 3/18/11! And OMW a surprise babyf.gif due 2/2013!
#6 of 63 Old 08-06-2010, 10:50 AM

Not in your due date club but count me in! This is our first homebirth. The two previous births were in the hospital with a midwife, as nice as you can get in a hospital, drug free and all but we had to fight about everything with the staff.
We're very excited about this one. We found a lovely homebirth midwife. We're not telling a lot of people, though.

Wife to Daryl 5/98, Mama to Eve 2/07, Lilie 11/08 and Victoria 10/10 --- Our First Water Homebirth. New blessing, Mathias, arrived 8/12 --- Our Second WaterHomebirth. Waiting to welcome baby #5 in May 2014.

#7 of 63 Old 08-06-2010, 12:44 PM

Me! We'll be having our 4th homebirth! I've been waffling about whether or not to use the same MW we had for DD2 and DD3... nothing wrong with her, she's very skilled and hands-off, which I like. But she's not a very warm person, and even though I've known her through 2 pg's, I still feel like we're not really connected. But DH is not interested in changing, and I really like her assistant, who is also a young mom in our small community, so it will be fine.

I seem to be the only mama who has not had a waterbirth! The idea of a big tub in my home stresses me out enough to not want to bother. Always wondered if I would regret it if I ended up with back labor or a long labor, but so far it's been just fine. I like giving birth on firm ground!

Mama to 4 girls    chicken3.gif5/05, 12/07, 9/09, 3/11   winner.jpghomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg

#8 of 63 Old 08-06-2010, 12:45 PM

We're having our 4th planned home waterbirth with the same midwife who has attended our other 3 HBs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanette56 View Post
Anyone have any suggestions on favorite HB books?
I really like Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. The birth stories at the end are very empowering and encouraging.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#9 of 63 Old 08-06-2010, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

I loved Peggy Vincent's book, Babycatcher. It does have some harrowing birth stories in it, but mostly joyful ones. It's not so much a homebirth manual as it is one midwife's story, but I loved reading about homebirth from her point of view. OK, I'm sitting her tearing up as I think about this book. Must be time to read it again! I read it during my pregnancies with both dds.

donutmolly, you could always just get in a warm bathtub for labor and give birth on dry land. When I had my ds in the hospital, a warm shower right on my belly really helped. Then they made me get in bed and stay on the stupid monitor.

Nanette-that sounds like a perfect solution! We have friends who gave birth at our midwife's former office, which was actually in a house and very comfy.

Starcat, wehrli, mandala, yay for first time homebirths!

Quiver--I'm going to read Ina May's book this time. I absolutely love Spiritual Midwifery. I've read it with each pregnancy.

Sihaya--yay for HB in your own home!

Heather, Mama to DS(10) DD(7.5),DD(6)
#10 of 63 Old 08-06-2010, 03:22 PM

I love those books as well. I can't find my copy of Ina's book anywhere- I was going to let a friend borrow it- need to look harder. But I did find babycatcher. I'm going to re-read it for sure!

#11 of 63 Old 08-06-2010, 03:53 PM

I'm planning a hospital birth this time because we have no birth centers and my insurance won't cover a homebirth, but my last was a beautiful homebirth/waterbirth. I'm hoping to prove that I can have just as beautiful an experience in the hospital this time, although not likely. I have fantasies of an "unplanned" (but not really unplanned) UC.

Nina Wife to DH
Mama to DD1-4y DS-3y DD2-21m
#12 of 63 Old 08-06-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Mama Doula View Post
I have fantasies of an "unplanned" (but not really unplanned) UC.
Me too!

Lisa - Mama to DD (12/07) and now a DS (3/11)! A wonderful uc.jpg!
#13 of 63 Old 08-06-2010, 05:26 PM

We are planning our first homebirth!! We had a very uneventful, intervention-free (dare I say easy) labor and delivery at a hospital with a midwife for my DD's birth, but I really want to just stay at home this time. With DD I labored at home for over 20 hours before going to the hospital; DD was born less than 2 hours after we got there. My fondest memories of her birth are the ones of DH and I just relaxing at home. I am going to start call local midwives next week to start setting up interviews. I really want a waterbirth this time

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#14 of 63 Old 08-07-2010, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This will be my third homebirth/waterbirth. My midwife referred to me as a frequent flyer. LOL

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#15 of 63 Old 08-08-2010, 02:22 PM

We are planning our 2nd homebirth with the same midwife.

#16 of 63 Old 08-08-2010, 05:43 PM

planning on having our 2nd homebirth, 3rd child!

1st was in a hospital in Las Vegas....oooh, what a bad experience
2nd was homebirth at in-laws home, just cause it was closer to the hospital.
hopefully #3 will be at our house, but we're way out in the boonies. Can't wait!
#17 of 63 Old 08-08-2010, 06:09 PM

I am planning to have another home/waterbirth like with my first two. I love it! I can't wait to start hanging out with my midwives again

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#18 of 63 Old 08-08-2010, 11:22 PM

I'll probably be posting more about this...but we're sort of hung up between a hospital VBAC and an HBAC. The hospital truly is a good option for a hospital...but the back of my head I wonder, I do not want a 2nd c/s to learn to stay at home...then on the flip side, I wonder in the back of my head if HB is right for us this time.

I'll get there...

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#19 of 63 Old 08-09-2010, 07:56 AM

Third baby and second home birth.... ( first was a routine hospital birth) Tried water birth but I couldn't push in the tub so ended up delivering on a birthing stool. Loved having it at home though.

All natural Mama to Keira 6/1/07, Israel 10/10/ 09, Nairi 04/01/2011, and #4 March 2013

#20 of 63 Old 08-09-2010, 01:58 PM
rcr

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Homebirth for me too. I am so excited. I am meeting with a midwife next weekend. DH was a hospital birth, and not a horrible story, but I would rather stay at home this time.

A question for those who have done a homebirth already - the midwife does not to that image ultrasound where you can see the baby's sex (10 weeks?), is it possible to just schedule my own - I really want to know the sex of the baby. Insurance does cover it (not the homebirth, but the ultrasound).

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

#21 of 63 Old 08-09-2010, 02:00 PM

I will be having a homebirth. I think I have my midwife selected, I just have a couple more questions I need to ask her.

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#22 of 63 Old 08-10-2010, 06:06 PM

Hoping for a homebirth! I need to get DH on board, but I REALLY want to avoid another hospital birth.... Just got my BFP yesterday so I haven't met with any midwives yet, but have been making a list to interview...
#23 of 63 Old 08-10-2010, 07:04 PM

This is my first pregnancy. I'm hoping for a home birth with a midwife I met a few weeks ago. My insurance is going to make trouble, I fear, but we're trying to work it out.

I'd love to try for a waterbirth, but I don't think there's room for a tub in our tiny NYC apartment (we don't even have a bathtub!). So I think I will be on dry land.

As for books, I read Spiritual Midwifery and Baby Catcher. They're both great. I also liked Labor of Love: A Midwife's Memoir. My midwife recommends The Father's Home Birth Handbook for dads.

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#24 of 63 Old 08-19-2010, 10:33 AM

My husband shared a homebirth worry this morning. He was flipping through the book my midwife recommended and said, "You know, whenever I read anything about homebirth, one thing worries me."

I said, "What's that?"

"We have GOT to vacuum first," he replied.
Posted via Mobile Device

#25 of 63 Old 08-19-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr View Post
A question for those who have done a homebirth already - the midwife does not to that image ultrasound where you can see the baby's sex (10 weeks?), is it possible to just schedule my own - I really want to know the sex of the baby. Insurance does cover it (not the homebirth, but the ultrasound).
I'm pretty sure you can go to one of those 4-D ultrasound places. As far as I know, they don't require a written medical order.

We're planning our second homebirth/hbac. Maybe it'll be a waterbirth this time... We have a small place, so I didn't want to take up all of the open space with a birth tub last time, but I'm thinking about this time around. The bathtub just doesn't cut it, kwim?

hbac.gifknit.gifsewmachine.gif

SAHM to DD1 12/07, DD2 11/09, and expecting 04/11!
#26 of 63 Old 08-19-2010, 11:00 AM

Neuromancer, that totally made me laugh! We've met with midwives who do birth center or home births and my husband's #1 concern? Our cats. He's worried about them vomiting or being nudgey or just generally shedding on things.
#27 of 63 Old 08-19-2010, 11:03 AM

I can understand that! My cat is a brat, who hisses at non-family members. I'm worried he'll be a jerk to our midwife and doula.
Posted via Mobile Device

#28 of 63 Old 08-19-2010, 11:40 AM

i think my husbands biggest concerns are the animals, too. We have 2 mastiffs. But they are good girls. (1 is 10 so she may not be around at that time anyway!) My cat is a sphynx so no shedding. DH is definitely still on the fence about homebirth though. Guess we will get to the bottom of it soon.

#29 of 63 Old 08-19-2010, 12:42 PM

Planning our 3rd homebirth here, :-)

Shannon~mother to 7 #8 due @Sept 8th.

#30 of 63 Old 08-19-2010, 01:22 PM

We're planning our first homebirth,,,2nd child. I'm excited and reading all that I can!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page