Anyone else VBACing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 08-09-2010, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This will be VBAC #2 for me

I still really need to mentally prepare for this birth... my VBAC was very long and while I'm thrilled DD actually came out of my vagina it was nowhere near my ideal birth. The thought of doing it again is not a pleasant one. Praying for no PROM or pitocin this time!

Who else will be having a VBAC?

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 08-09-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryn237 View Post
This will be VBAC #2 for me

I still really need to mentally prepare for this birth... my VBAC was very long and while I'm thrilled DD actually came out of my vagina it was nowhere near my ideal birth. The thought of doing it again is not a pleasant one. Praying for no PROM or pitocin this time!

Who else will be having a VBAC?
Taryn, you can just do what I did and have baby in the back of the car...lol
#3 of 22 Old 08-09-2010, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

If this is the Dawn I think it is you better keep quiet! Jeesh I wasn't expecting anyone I know IRL to wander in here. LOL.

#4 of 22 Old 08-10-2010, 01:28 AM

I am! This is my first VBAC and I am completely past my c/s, thankfully. It took about 10 months to process it all. I need to go to an ICAN meeting but have been on the VBAC board for months.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#5 of 22 Old 08-10-2010, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post
I am! This is my first VBAC and I am completely past my c/s, thankfully. It took about 10 months to process it all. I need to go to an ICAN meeting but have been on the VBAC board for months.
Definitly go to ICAN. I my local chapter. We have a 100% VBAC success rate so far. The 5 mamas who have tried all got their VBAC. Maybe you should move to NJ and join out group. lol.

#6 of 22 Old 08-10-2010, 10:19 AM

This will be my 3rd VBAC, 2nd HBAC. I need to mentally prepare more for labor without pain meds than having another vbac. My homebirth was very painful so I'm quite scared about going through that again. But I'd still rather do that then have another hospital birth.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#7 of 22 Old 08-10-2010, 11:54 AM

I'll be having my second VBAC with this newbie. I am thinking about trying hypnobabies this time, since I would like to try without an epidural this time.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#8 of 22 Old 08-10-2010, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm hoping to. I'm kind of pessimistic about it because I have high blood pressure and I have to use an OB and a hospital. OTOH, things always go the opposite of how I expect, so if I plan on getting superimposed preeclampsia again and having an RCS, my BP will be good and I'll get my VBAC.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#9 of 22 Old 08-11-2010, 02:02 AM

I've been researching VBACs since September when I started getting over the c/s. I still wasn't over it until after DD's birthday. I am sooo ready for it now and can't wait! I wish I knew what I know now when DD was born. The next challenge is figuring out if the MW I want takes my insurance. The receptioinist said they do, but they're not listed on the website so I'm keeping my fingers crossed until I know for sure.

married 11/06, DD May 2009, DS  April 2011successful, natural 9lbs 6ozvbac.gif

#10 of 22 Old 08-11-2010, 09:53 AM

This will be my second VBAC. Unless a homebirth MW moves closer than three hours from us in the next 7 months we'll be having another hospital VBAC. The delivery was hard, but I did it naturally and the hospital staff was awesome. I'm looking forward to birthing there again.

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
#11 of 22 Old 08-11-2010, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm planning a UBAC for this baby. I wanted a UC for DS, but various circumstances and coercion led to a C/S. I plan on trying Hypnobabies.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#12 of 22 Old 08-20-2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsberman View Post
I've been researching VBACs since September when I started getting over the c/s. I still wasn't over it until after DD's birthday. I am sooo ready for it now and can't wait! I wish I knew what I know now when DD was born. The next challenge is figuring out if the MW I want takes my insurance. The receptioinist said they do, but they're not listed on the website so I'm keeping my fingers crossed until I know for sure.
Have you found out anything else about insurance?

For my insurance, I am actually going by the m/w office and what I have heard from others, since I am not going to get a straight answer from the ins. company.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#13 of 22 Old 08-21-2010, 03:42 AM

I will be VBACing as well. Hopefully, I guess. I really am not over my c/s and that was three years ago. I mean, I have space and all, but I'm not, you know, over it. I keep thinking it was something wrong with my body (he was stuck) and what if the same thing happens all over again? That, of course, would mean that I am broken.

So I'm really just mentally preparing for my TOL. My previous birth involved pitocin, breaking my water, fetal monitoring, the works, through 20 hours of labor and only making it 4.5 centimeters. Talk about dejection! It was AWFUL. But (I'm kind of proud of this) I had no pain meds, except they had to numb for the surgery of course. Anyway, it was the complete opposite of what I wanted.

I made the decision to c/s, only because when presented with the options 1 - keep laboring and possibly going into distress which means a total knockout and no BF right away or 2 - bikini c/s and BF right away, I choose BFing. I just made that the thing that was really important. Now I'm realizing that BFing cannot replace the experience of natural childbirth. It just doesn't.

So... hopeful but wary. I guess I should be more concerned about making it to week 12, huh?

Any really great VBAC success stories would really help my hope factor!

K: high school teacher and mama to DS1 (7/07), loss (10/10) and DS2 (7/12). Married to my best friend and soon to be elementary school teacher!
#14 of 22 Old 08-21-2010, 10:51 AM

Movnmama, just something to think about...

If I were you I'd probably be pretty upset with the drs from your last birth. They chose to cut you open without anything actually being wrong... Just on the assumption that something MIGHT go wrong down the road.... If I were you I would not use that OB again. Personally, I would choose a MW, preferably at home, but even in a birth center or hospital will be better than an OB. I had my first c-section for similar, unnecessary reasons like you and thought it was a fluke and wouldn't happen again. I was uneducated and unprepared going in for my 2nd birth which of course ended in another csection unnecessarily. Now I cannot find a single dr who will allow me a TOL which is just fine by me since I REALLY want to HB. But if my husband wasn't so supportive or if I didn't have as much faith in myself to HB, this could be VERY upsetting knowing that my only other option is to schedule a c/s. If you haven't seen the business of being born, it's a good intro movie into the idea that OBs aren't the end all be all. From there I know we can all recommend other books/movies for you to watch. Good luck. I just wanted to give you something to think about that you may not have thought of before. And I don't want you to have to learn the hard way like I did to be educated and your own advocate.

Wife to John, Mom to Melanie (1/08), Deklan (5/09) and stork-suprise.gif due April 11, 2011 h20homebirth.gif vbac.gif & just started cd.gif
#15 of 22 Old 08-21-2010, 11:52 AM

Oh Me! That's the plan, anyway. DS was a planned HB transfer C/S. I was in labor Thursday through Saturday, with active labor starting Friday night. I didn't sleep at all the whole time. Early Saturday morning the midwife declared me fully dilated with some sort of lip (not a cervical lip) and wanted me to push while she held it to the side. I never felt the urge to push but did it anyways for hours. His head barely peaked through but that was it. Eventually his heart tones dropped and we went to the hospital. I was completely swollen down there and the DR told me if I gave birth vaginally I might damage something and bleed out. I have no idea whether that is true or not, but I consented to a c/s.

I hated being at the hospital and I would love to avoid that but I don't think we will have much support trying another HB. To be honest, I'm not sure I would feel comfortable either. At the moment I am looking into midwife care at a hospital. I'm planning on trying hypnobabies as well. ICAN indy meetings start in Sept and I'm excited to attend. I'd love to hear what everyone else is planning and some VBAC stories!

Tiffany partner to Charlie and Mama to DS Ciaran (1/08) and DS Finnian (4/11)
Adding a third in July!

#16 of 22 Old 08-21-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaRN View Post
Movnmama, just something to think about...

If I were you I'd probably be pretty upset with the drs from your last birth. They chose to cut you open without anything actually being wrong... Just on the assumption that something MIGHT go wrong down the road.... If I were you I would not use that OB again. Personally, I would choose a MW, preferably at home, but even in a birth center or hospital will be better than an OB. I had my first c-section for similar, unnecessary reasons like you and thought it was a fluke and wouldn't happen again. I was uneducated and unprepared going in for my 2nd birth which of course ended in another csection unnecessarily. Now I cannot find a single dr who will allow me a TOL which is just fine by me since I REALLY want to HB. But if my husband wasn't so supportive or if I didn't have as much faith in myself to HB, this could be VERY upsetting knowing that my only other option is to schedule a c/s. If you haven't seen the business of being born, it's a good intro movie into the idea that OBs aren't the end all be all. From there I know we can all recommend other books/movies for you to watch. Good luck. I just wanted to give you something to think about that you may not have thought of before. And I don't want you to have to learn the hard way like I did to be educated and your own advocate.
I know all these things are true, which has greatly contributed to my not being completely over it. But, firstly, I live in Alaska now and my son was born in Portland, OR. So not even an option to use the same Dr. Second, I was using a midwife, and it was her giving me those options. 3rd, no midwife in my small town can attend me at the hospital or in the one birthing center we have, and I'm not comfortable with a home birth. I just feel pretty happy that there is one Dr. in town that absolutely supports and does VBAC.

In reality, the knowledge that the c/s might have been unnecessary is what keeps me from forgiving myself. I feel like I was weak and I should have told them to eff off and let me labor. I feel like it's my fault that I didn't advocate for myself because I was informed and knew about the cascade effect and all that. There's so much I did wrong. I'm really still quite depressed about it.

You're right, I do need to see the film. It's been recommended to me many times. I appreciate your advice. If I lived somewhere more in sync with my beliefs, I would not be at a hospital this time.

K: high school teacher and mama to DS1 (7/07), loss (10/10) and DS2 (7/12). Married to my best friend and soon to be elementary school teacher!
#17 of 22 Old 08-21-2010, 01:52 PM

I'm going for HBAC #2 this time around. Hopefully, I can find a better way to control the pain from back labor this time around (my first 2 were posterior, so I'm expecting it again).

hbac.gifknit.gifsewmachine.gif

SAHM to DD1 12/07, DD2 11/09, and expecting 04/11!
#18 of 22 Old 08-21-2010, 02:50 PM

I had a vbac in Feb & sometimes like to check in around here to see how things are...

Taryn-I also had a PROM...DD2 was born VBAC 45 hours after. I had a very positive c section w/ dd1 & my main goal was a healthy baby & vaginal birth so after 29 hours when they wanted to give me a little pit, I wasn't that broken up about it. But we are talking about ttc early 2011 (well, i'm talking about it & dh is kind of nodding along right now but i think he's almost there ) & I would love to have another chance at a slightly shorter VBAC!!! lol

Wishing everyone well!

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#19 of 22 Old 08-21-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseoffred View Post
ICAN indy meetings start in Sept and I'm excited to attend. I'd love to hear what everyone else is planning and some VBAC stories!
Omg are you serious?!? I live in Indy and have constantly been looking for ICAN meetings but read/was told that there was no Indy chapter... Please, tell me more! When is the first meeting? Where? How do I join? :-) I am SOOOOOOO excited!!

Erica

Wife to John, Mom to Melanie (1/08), Deklan (5/09) and stork-suprise.gif due April 11, 2011 h20homebirth.gif vbac.gif & just started cd.gif
#20 of 22 Old 08-22-2010, 12:41 AM

@ MovnMama: Don't beat yourself up! It doesn't mean you failed, you were just in the wrong situation. Better luck next time--maybe with a doula?
#21 of 22 Old 08-22-2010, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellairiesmom View Post
I had a vbac in Feb & sometimes like to check in around here to see how things are...

Taryn-I also had a PROM...DD2 was born VBAC 45 hours after. I had a very positive c section w/ dd1 & my main goal was a healthy baby & vaginal birth so after 29 hours when they wanted to give me a little pit, I wasn't that broken up about it. But we are talking about ttc early 2011 (well, i'm talking about it & dh is kind of nodding along right now but i think he's almost there ) & I would love to have another chance at a slightly shorter VBAC!!! lol

Wishing everyone well!
You're a better woman than I am then... The thought of birth after my VBAC really scares me. I don't think I'm strong enough for this. Part of it is 'epidural guilt' I guess. This is what I posted another thread on here:

"Had low milk supply (IGT) with DS so I had been pumping once a day from 39w on to help bring in my help. 39w5d PROM. Lador did not start. 12 hours later I took castor oil, went to hospital 6 hours later, nipple stim to keep labor going, At 33 hours past PROM I agreed to pit. A few hours later I got an epidural because I was utterly exhausted and needed to sleep. After my nap they shut off the epidural but DD's heart was dropping when I was pushing so I was flat on my back pushing uphill. She was born 44 hours after my water broke. My midwife was in the hospital with me for over 24 hours. Yes, she came out of my vagina but I could barely move for days. It was awful."

#22 of 22 Old 08-22-2010, 12:54 PM

I had an HBAC last time, and am planning one again this time (HBAHBAC, ). For a while after my daughter was born I would have recurring nightmares that I got pregnant again and my midwife would not take me on again. I'm seeing her on Wednesday, so I guess I will find out then.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page