Exercise!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 08-11-2010, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Before getting pregnant, I was running 2-3 miles a day and planning on starting P90X with DH. Lately, I've fallen off the wagon and the majority of my exercise has been from walking or none at all. Time to get back on the train and move!

We all know exercise is great for pregnancy as long as it's not too strenuous. Let's motivate each other and have some liability here. My goal is to work-out for 30 minutes or more 5 times a week starting today. What's your goal?

Nina Wife to DH
Mama to DD1-4y DS-3y DD2-21m
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 08-11-2010, 08:18 PM

my goal is walking to Lake Michigan and back 3-4x/week (2 miles total) and prenatal yoga m/w/f or something to that effect...

i'm all for trying to motivate each other!! great idea, Maine Mama!!

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#3 of 27 Old 08-11-2010, 10:25 PM

Well...before I found out I was pg (yesterday), I was focusing on my eating and had just started taking fucothin (from Garden of Life...it's just seaweed extract that's supposed to have some thermogenic properties that help burn fat....I have no idea if it works because I only took it for four or five days). I'm off that and just ordered Denise Austin's Fit Pregnancy DVD. My goal is to do that or my prenatal yoga DVD a total of 4-5x per week. I'm 30lbs overweight (leftover from DD2) and cannot afford to gain much, if any weight this time. For real...I'm seriously worried about it already and need to make a concerted effort to not let myself go this time around. Hopefully I'll stick to it.
I'm already feeling queasy (dh thinks it's in my head since I started feeling it yesterday afternoon, right after testing and I'm only 4w5d), if it keeps up, I'll probably end up losing a bit of weight in the beginning like I have with my last pgs.
...This is my #1 source of anxiety about being pg so...pretty much I'm really shallow. :-)

#4 of 27 Old 08-11-2010, 10:52 PM

I'm in! I've lost about 25 lbs in the last year and love to lift weights and do cardio. My goal is three sessions of weight lifting and 3-4 cardio sessions per week. I've been doing HIIT (high intensity interval training) but I'm switching to steady state low impact cardio instead. I didn't last long on the recumbant bike on Monday though. I had to get up and pee 3.5 miles into my ride!

We just all need to remember that so much of health is simply what you put into your body. I exercised with all my pregnancies but still gained tons of weight in the first two because I didn't eat as well as I should. I'm trying to do 5-6 small meals a day, clean eating with a treat or two on Sundays! My goal is to gain 25-30 lbs or less total.

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#5 of 27 Old 08-12-2010, 12:12 AM

I've spent the last 9 months losing 30 pounds and must admit I'm pretty freaked out by gaining it all back I was doing the 30 day shred 5 times a week and 1/2 hour on the treadmill 4-5 times a week. Due to exhaustion I've been trying to at least do the treadmill 5 times a week for 30 mins but I'm still afraid that the weight is just going to pile on. I gained 70-80lbs with both of my last pregnancies and I REALLY want to avoid having that happen again.
Ugh. I need to figure out how to let go of this........

Jessica mama to 2 boys 6/07 & 2/09
cautiously expecting to meet someone new in April...if you know me IRL please don't out me yet! It's still a secret!
#6 of 27 Old 08-12-2010, 12:38 AM

I'm in! I was just going to start a thread like this

I don't really have any set goals, just get on the treadmill and do workouts that tone my legs (where I tend to gain the most weight) 4 or 5 times a week.

I would love to have a thread to keep me motivated.............

I did 15 min of cardio today but no leg workout

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#7 of 27 Old 08-12-2010, 09:01 AM

I workout - mostly running and I walk my dogs a few miles everyday (with kiddo on my back). Hoping to keep that going. Last time I was able to run until 32 weeks and then switched to the ellipitical after my back crapped out on me - I think it made a big difference in how things went and how quickly I recovered!

Meredith, mama to Callum (12-28-08 ) and now expecting a new bean in early spring
#8 of 27 Old 08-12-2010, 09:09 AM

lightheartedmom- You aren't shallow at all. My entire reason for not wanting a baby right now was not wanting to get fat again and when I found out I was pg I said 'great- here comes the fat!'

I, too, gained 70 lbs the 1st time. lost 50 by the time she was 6 months got pg again and then gained all 50 back with #2. UGH. I was HUGE!

they are now 41/2 and 6. I got down to 5 lbs away from my pre-preg weight by doing triathlons & 1/2 marathons. I broke my toe in June and put on 5 lbs between that and vacation and early pregnancy. so I'm counting that as my starting weight. I'm registered for a race 8/21 and I'm doing the swim portion of a race 9/5. I havent been training a ton but its forcing me to get out there when I can. I'm running what I can (still have a sore toe) and hoping to do a 1.2 marathon in December even if its a run/walk. My midwife is cool with all of it as long as I listen to my body since I've already been training.

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#9 of 27 Old 08-12-2010, 10:07 AM

It's hard when you've lost weight to see those numbers on the scale go up again. Just do everything you can to eat right (be honest with yourself about food) and exercise and your body will respond!

I'm trying not to worry about it. I just weaned DD2 in February and finally lost all my pregnancy weight and then some. I'm about 10-15 lbs over my goal weight but I'm least I'm not starting out way huge this time. I'm just going to try and be diligent with my health. Let myself have something I'm craving on Sundays and that's it. We can do it guys!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#10 of 27 Old 08-12-2010, 12:32 PM

I was doing the Insanity workout with DH until it got too hot in the house. Then we decided to get pregnant again so I definitely can't do that workout. I waitress and bartend so that's my only source of exercise at the moment. During my last pregnancy I wore a pedomoter on one of my waitressing shifts and I took over a 1000 steps in less than 5 hours. This time around I want to get a pregnancy yoga dvd... I just need a little motivation to get off the couch.

married 11/06, DD May 2009, DS  April 2011successful, natural 9lbs 6ozvbac.gif

#11 of 27 Old 08-12-2010, 02:29 PM

I was 2 weeks away from finishing Insanity when I broke my toe!! Awesome workout I loved it!!

#12 of 27 Old 08-12-2010, 03:03 PM

My goal is to keep excerising in some way most days of the week. I generally do:
walking, spin class, weight training/body weight stuff, interval walk/jogging/running, hiking, swimming laps

I have taken about 2+ weeks off of my ususal healthy habits because I was so tired and nauseated......but since the unisom/B6 kicked in I actually think I can eat a salad again for lunch and start working out again It makes such a big difference for me!

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#13 of 27 Old 08-12-2010, 03:09 PM

I would love some motivation to get moving more! Before DS I was in the best shape of my life and had planned to do my first triathlon before I found out I was pregnant. I also gained 50 lbs with DS, and am just 10 lbs shy of being back to my pre-pregnancy weight. But alas, #2 will prevent that happening for now! But I would really like to try to stay ahead of the game so I'm not really challenged after this babe is born.

My biggest hurdles right now are fatigue and the extreme heat where we live! I had been going for daily (or most days anway) walks with DS before the heat struck. I also do a yoga class (not prenatal) 1-2 times a week, but that's about all Iv'e been able to do lately. Plus, between the pregnancy and DS's sleep schedule (we are still BFing and co-sleeping and he does not STTN) + working full time, I am exhausted all. the. time! It's really hard to get out and moving at all.

That being said, I'd like to set a goal to start walking again--at least 30 minutes most days of the week, in addition to the yoga classes. I'd also love to start lifting weights again, but that may not be realistic for me right now--I'll count lifting DS multiple times a day for now!
#14 of 27 Old 08-12-2010, 04:47 PM

I do yoga regularly, run, walk, cycle, some swimming. I immediately felt like I needed to modify my yoga because my pelvic area was stick and it just didn't feel right. I am now able to add a few things back in but I'll have to really watch that I'm not overstretching. I had cut back on the cycling before I was pregnant because I wasn't comfortable with my low weight and cycling really kicks my metabolism into high. I'll do some light cycling while I'm still comfortable with it though. I've been swimming in a lake but that won't last much longer than another month before it gets too cold (and the water turns green *ick*). I do hope to go to a pool throughout the fall/winter/spring though.

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#15 of 27 Old 08-13-2010, 10:17 AM

i swim 800-1000yards 4 or 5 times a week, plus chasing my toddler around. i plan to keep it up as long as i can.

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#16 of 27 Old 08-14-2010, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

I tried a P90X workout and that was really too much. I've been taking the dog for some decent night walks lately. I've really been focused on diet lately too - lot of green vegetable juice, green smoothies, salads, and other raw vegan foods. I'm still eating some SAD foods, but doing lots better. I juicefeasted for 43 days before getting pregnant. I lost 35 pounds, but I'm still 45 pounds overweight. I'm hoping to keep up my lifestyle through this pregnancy and not gain any weight. Most of the weight I gained was due to pregnancy, postpartum depression and medications. I'm glad we have an exercise support thread!

Nina Wife to DH
Mama to DD1-4y DS-3y DD2-21m
#17 of 27 Old 08-14-2010, 01:33 PM

I'm in!! Right before I clicked on this thread I was thinking about how I'll need to keep walking this time! I don't know about the winter, though...

DD 5/09 and a new little one 4/11
#18 of 27 Old 08-14-2010, 06:31 PM

I dragged myself through my workouts this week although I did miss one session of weights since we have company this weekend. I'm eating well but I already feel so bloated and gross. Yuck!

#19 of 27 Old 08-15-2010, 03:43 PM

Does anyone have any good recommendations for leg workouts that can be done at home? Even if it's a workout video. My thighs got huge last pregnancy so I would have to buy pants a size up, but then the waist was too big. I'm trying to avoid that this time.

married 11/06, DD May 2009, DS  April 2011successful, natural 9lbs 6ozvbac.gif

#20 of 27 Old 08-15-2010, 09:42 PM

I *need* to get into an exercise routine! I was on the verge of starting when I found out I was pg, and I really want to do it now. I started this pg at the weight I was at delivery with the others, so I want to work at eating well and beign active to be in better shape as I go through this pg.

I bought two DVDs -- the classic Shiva Rea pg yoga dvd and the 'perrfect pregnancy workout' which is more of a sculpting one. We have a Y membership too, but I have found it next to impossible to get there with my work schedule and exhaustion. I think the classes there would be nice, if I can get there!

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#21 of 27 Old 08-16-2010, 06:53 AM

I'm definitely feeling better when I "force" myself to get out and do something. I did spin class 4x last week, swam twice and yesterday I ran 3 miles. Not bad I suppose. Now I have to work 3 12 hour shifts is a row so this week is going to be hard. and saturday is the triathlon. UGH! Not sure how that will go!!

#22 of 27 Old 08-16-2010, 09:46 AM

i've been heading in to the gym before work (up at 445 to pull it off ) but because of one-car-household issues have been having to switch things up and bike in to work, skipping the gym. i'll won't be able to go in the morning at all once i'm taking my son to kindergarten :/ if i don't do it in the morning, it's harder to get up the gumption later in the day (and also harder because it means babysitting, instead of daddy). but, it'll need to happen. i really love getting a bit of exercise in everyday.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#23 of 27 Old 08-17-2010, 08:31 AM

Do we want to start a weekly exercise thread? We can write out our goals for the week and come back and share struggles, successes, etc??

#24 of 27 Old 08-17-2010, 09:19 AM

I'm trying to walk 2 miles daily. It will end up being 5 days a week. We're planning a Disney vacation at the end of September (got pg the weekend we planned it.) so I want to be able to do all of the walking that requires.

I walk on a treadmill with a fan on so I don't get over heated.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#25 of 27 Old 09-20-2010, 09:10 PM

Just bumping this thread up. Wondering if anyone else was interested in picking up on Stayseeliz's suggestion of a weekly exercise thread. I've been thinking about this a lot. I've gained probably five pounds over the last month and it feels like weight gain is proceeding a little more quickly than I'd like. I know I haven't been getting enough exercise. The daytime sleepiness has been a real issue, but now that my school year is starting I want to try to establish a routine.

My difficulty is, I like to run on the treadmill, but it hurts my breasts! And I'm very picky about other types of equipment. DH is freaking out about me riding my bike in traffic to get to campus (I'm in grad school) but that has been one of my most reliable ways to get exercise in the past.

I'm thinking I'd like to start swimming laps, with a goal of two-three times a week to start, as well as walking and going on an elliptical machine at the gym on weekends.

Stayseeliz--should I go ahead and start a thread?

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#26 of 27 Old 09-20-2010, 10:15 PM

I would love an exercise thread! Something to keep me accountable would be a grand thing. For the past year i've been pretty regularly working out 3-5x/wk with tae bo and running. My body is really feeling the lack of movement from the past 7 weeks or so. I've gotten out for the occasional walk and tried to jog, but the energy simply isn't there and my stamina is kaput.

I've been thinking of breaking out my prenatal workout dvds (yoga and a dance one), and I have a prenatal bellydance dvd I found at once upon a child last year that I'm eager to try too.

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#27 of 27 Old 09-20-2010, 11:11 PM

I'd love a weekly thread. We can alternate who starts it or one person can do it. I really need the accountability!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page