Anyone else have names already? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 10-13-2010, 12:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We actually have our boy's name picked out! We've never picked a boy's name that we loved, but this time I really, really, really like the name: Hudson Croix

And for a girl: either Cricket or Ginger -- need help with a middle name... These names are both so perfect; they go well with the rest of our girls' names and are just so much fun.

I love picking names. I do not like when Dh vetoes every one of the names on my list!

Mama to 4 girls    chicken3.gif5/05, 12/07, 9/09, 3/11   winner.jpghomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg

#32 of 53 Old 10-13-2010, 06:34 AM

Surprisingly (since we already have 2 girls) we decided on a girls name. Tabitha Jayne

The boy name eludes us...we did like Max and still do but feel like it doesn't fit our family. Now the front runner is Lucas and the boy middle name is still staying Spencer because that is a family name.

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#33 of 53 Old 10-13-2010, 12:05 PM

If DD had been a boy, her name would have been "Django Robert." it has two built in nicknames (DJ and Doc -- DR? ha ha. yeah.) and our last name is Cherry so it'd be a pretty rockstar name once he got out of gradeschool.

I'm 90% sure this is still our top boy name.

Middle names will always be family names.

Girl names are trickier since we already did this dance with DD...

Possibly:

Mae
Kate
Fay
Pearl (might not be good with our last name)
Vaughan
Alice

...yeah. I dunno for that one.

Mama to Ella (1/15/08) and Django (03/20/11) - remembering 2 angel.gif
#34 of 53 Old 10-13-2010, 04:56 PM

LOVE LOVE LOVE hearing everyone's names!

I feel like I have a troublesome last name... anyway here are some of my FAVORITES that have either been vetoed or sound horrible with my last name

Girl
Brita
Analise
Olive

Boy
Garrison
Trevor

We have some family names we are working with (Alice and James) and I am pretty set on a normal-ish sounding name because I grew up with a real whopper of a strange name and hated being both teased and constantly asked about it when I was still very young.

Husband is still deployed so names will probably have some time to stew until we really get down to the nitty-gritty.

Good luck all!

partytime.gifBabytime! treehugger.gifMomma to Wyatt born April 2012 h20homebirth.gif

#35 of 53 Old 10-13-2010, 08:27 PM

So we have finally decided on our names (twins)

Girls:
Isla Grace and Abigail Therese

Boys:
Boston Robert and Lucas Charles

Liora - wife to Pete, IVF miracle DD babygirl.gif (2.11.09) 11 year Infertility survivor! FET miracle TWIN boys babyboy.gifbabyboy.gifborn 2/28 at 32 weeks and growing strong in the NICU.
#36 of 53 Old 10-13-2010, 09:21 PM

We like:
Girl:
Anna Beth (means "house of God's grace" Beth is after my MIL and me)

Boy:
Asher or Asa BenJoshua (with Asher would mean "happy or blessed son of the saviour" Asa means physician or healer. BenJoshua is DH's middle name- he goes by Josh)

Sarah , Wife to DH , Mommy to DS 01/07 , DD 04/09 , and Due 04/11
#37 of 53 Old 10-13-2010, 10:10 PM

I've had the girls name picked for a long time, DH is Indian so wants a hindi first name, ds has a hindi first name with a slightly differently spelling, one vowel is different, just because i didn't like that he may have a certain nickname.

Girl:

Tulsi Lynne, Middle name after my mom, Tulsi means basil

Boy?!?! I have a couple names picked, I really like Rohan, but i have a relative with the same spelling last name who is now divorced and her ex goes by Rohan so i think that is out.

So far all I like is Kavi, Sohan, and Siddarth for the middle name no clue, I am hoping I hear some awesome hindi boys name between now and delivery as I am convinced this baby is a boy, but we'll see for sure in about 6 weeks.

There are some pretty cool hindi names i like but we know people with the names and i don't really like the idea of having the same names: like Syon and Jetan i think are neat names. But I am trying not to dwell too much until we find out the gender.

Ironically my dh goes by an american nickname but insists that our kids of hindi names, I said i am fine with it, but i have to search high and low for names that we both agree on and aren't terribly hard to pronounce or spell.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#38 of 53 Old 10-14-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyBabyBird View Post
I've had the girls name picked for a long time, DH is Indian so wants a hindi first name, ds has a hindi first name with a slightly differently spelling, one vowel is different, just because i didn't like that he may have a certain nickname.

Girl:

Tulsi Lynne, Middle name after my mom, Tulsi means basil

Boy?!?! I have a couple names picked, I really like Rohan, but i have a relative with the same spelling last name who is now divorced and her ex goes by Rohan so i think that is out.

So far all I like is Kavi, Sohan, and Siddarth for the middle name no clue, I am hoping I hear some awesome hindi boys name between now and delivery as I am convinced this baby is a boy, but we'll see for sure in about 6 weeks.

There are some pretty cool hindi names i like but we know people with the names and i don't really like the idea of having the same names: like Syon and Jetan i think are neat names. But I am trying not to dwell too much until we find out the gender.

Ironically my dh goes by an american nickname but insists that our kids of hindi names, I said i am fine with it, but i have to search high and low for names that we both agree on and aren't terribly hard to pronounce or spell.
We do Hindi names as middle names, since DH never uses his Hindi name except when we go to India every 5 years or so. He has always been called his American middle name, so we just decided to make it simpler and put the Hindi name in the middle position for ours.

I really like Rohan, it was one of our top choices for a boy, but since DH's Great Grandfather was Mohan, we're going with that instead if newbie is a boy. I think we're going with Mira if newbie is a girl. DS is Kiran which I really like and DD is Asha.

As for first names I think we have settled on a girl's name, plus we have about 4 other names we really like as well, in case we change our mind. If it is a boy, though I am completely out of luck. I have a list, neither DH or I feel like any of the names on the list is the name for a boy. I am really tempted to find out gender rather then going green team just to know if I need to worry about a boy name or not, because we are that stuck on a boy name.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#39 of 53 Old 10-14-2010, 02:47 PM

othersomethings - You freaked me out for a second because I know someone with the last name of Cherry who has a daughter named Ella and is currently pregnant! Different aged kid, different due date, different location, but it still made me do a doubletake.

We won't work on names until after we know the gender. DH generally just vetoes everything I suggest.

For a girl, I currently like:
Gloria
Opal
Marigold
Clara
Orchid

(But I'm sure DH will hate all of those.)
I also really like Violet and Lorraine, but my friends already used those so I guess I'm out of luck.

For a boy, we both like the names Jack and Abraham.
#40 of 53 Old 10-14-2010, 05:07 PM

Madeline or Rebekah

Potential girl middle names:
Valeria
Claire
Faith
Grace
Hope
Isabelle
Joy
Nadine
Rose
Ruth
Zoe

and
boy list:
Noah
Ezra
Isaac

Potential boy middle names:
Elijah
James

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#41 of 53 Old 10-15-2010, 10:49 AM

So glad to hear that other's have dh's who just like to yell 'VETO!' too!

We're getting short on name options... but this will be 'the baby' and the last one so she/he can have a cute name. PLEASE! I have grown weary of nursing home names for our baby girls!

So, I'm thinking- girl: Hazel, Ruth, mmmmmaybe Elliott (it's my middle name)

boy- Reid (my favorite boy name EVER), Elliott, yeah its a short list.

See, the thing is I've got myself in a hole- we've decided no more C/K names; so that rules out Kevin and Keith (I like those). And the ending should be different for each kid, so it's not too sing-song, meaning no Owen next to Vivian. I LOVE Owen! And also no Roman or Rowan.

I think Hazel is coming back in a big way?!! And I hear Elliott more and more also. I think that leaves 'baby Ruth.' Will she hate that?!

I guess I feel a girl is in the cards for us....

Cecilia
Carl
Vivian
and....... ?!! I really want a hippie name or a more modern name. I am not asking dh for much input this time or our kid will never be named... that's what happened with Vivian. It took WEEKS!

The kids have my last name and I guess I told dh he could pick the first names if they had my last name?!! Honestly, you'd think I'd remember a deal with the devil like that. I don't recall that conversation....

I'd take any suggestions you'd give me.

Oh, we've always liked Frances/Frankie/Francesca. Baby Frankie?!

#3 was born with lots of dark hair and I really felt like her name should be Sarah. I like Sarah. I am not religious at all, although dh is catholic and we attend services occasionally, I do like Sarah. And dh likes saint names. We missed the boat with Carl, though, he really should have been Charles with Carl as a nickname, but Carl was dh's grandpa so it's for him.

NAMES! They are hard.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#42 of 53 Old 10-15-2010, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
I also LOVE Adelle for a girl - DH doesn't. Sigh.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#43 of 53 Old 10-15-2010, 07:25 PM

I wish my DH was one who vetos- I made him a list with a few things I knew he'd think were crazy on it, and told him to cross off anything he didn't want to use. A month later, nothing has been crossed off. Seriously- he LEFT Obadiah Raoul, which I'm pretty sure most can see is a joke.

We're nowhere on names. I'm having a really hard time with girls, because Arabella is such a super girly name, and a lot of things I like seem to be GN names.

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#44 of 53 Old 10-16-2010, 09:23 AM

We *might* have come to a consensus on a boy name with Owen. Of all the other possibilities I've tossed out, I think dh and I both like it best. But I'm not sure I like it with either of our middle names. Owen Niall, or Owen Davis. I'm leaning toward Davis at this point. I'm really feeling boy this time, but of course I could be wrong. I even dreamed it was a boy last night. Actually, I think that's the second baby boy dream I've had.

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#45 of 53 Old 10-16-2010, 09:29 PM

Girl name is Victoria Katherine (my grandmother & DH's grandmother), we'll call her Rory for short, though because while I like the idea of honouring my late grandma in this way, I'm not 100% in love with the name.

Boy name is Jasper Sydney. Jasper we just really like and Sydney is my late grandfather's middle name.

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#46 of 53 Old 10-17-2010, 04:57 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmeg View Post

Oh, we've always liked Frances/Frankie/Francesca. Baby Frankie?!

I like Frances as well.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#47 of 53 Old 10-17-2010, 02:58 PM

I've just started thinking about this--names are sort of a passion of mine. All of my kids have celtic names, so that's what I usually look at. Here's my list from last time, and I still love most of these. I *think* I am having a girl this time, we shall see.

Girls' names

Tegan (Welsh) “beauty/beautiful”
Saraid (sor-id) “best, surpassing all” ancestor of the Gaelic Scots
Aneira (Welsh) “honor”
Awena (Welsh) “muse”, “poetic, inspirer of poetry”
Caryonwyn (Welsh) “fair, loved” “dear, beloved one”
Adaryn, Aderyn (Welsh) “bird”
Iona name of a Scottish island, it’s association with religion give the connotation “blessed”, Celtic name for the Isle of Anglesey
Aislin, Aislinn, Aisling, Ashling (ash-ling) (Gaelic) dream, vision
Una (Gaelic) banshee
Aela (Breton) “ardent”
Aeronwyn (Welsh) “berries”
Ceridwen (Welsh) combination “poetry” and “fair, pure, white” goddess of poetry
Tara (tah-rah) was where high kings of Ireland were anointed
Ailsa (Scottish) “rock, island”
Rhianwen (Welsh) “pure , blessed maiden”
Amena, Amina, Amine (Celtic) “honest, utterly pure”
Seirian (Welsh) “sparkling”
Demelza (Cornish) placename, may mean “parable”
Angharad (Welsh) “without reproach”
Nemetona goddess “sacred, keeper of the grove”
Tangwystl (Welsh) “pledge of peace”
Telyn “harp”
Terrwyn “brave”
Aine (AN-yuh) (old Irish) ‘brilliance, wit, splendor, glory”
Talwyn “forehead” + “biright, shining”
Berlewen Cornish name for the planet Venus
Anwen “very beautiful”
Arianrhod (Welsh) “silver” + “wheel, circle, orbit”
Arianwen (Welsh) “silver” + “white, fair, blessed, shining, holy”
Blodwen “flower” + “shining, holy”
Druantia Celtic goddess known as Mother of the Tree Calendar and Queen of the Druids
Enid “soul, life, spirit”
Rhiannon “divine queen”
Tanwen (Welsh) “fire” + “shining, holy”

Boys' Names

Merlin (Welsh) “sea fort”
Griffith (Welsh) “red-haired”
Ramsey “Raven’s Island” or “Ram’s Island”
Sulien (Welsh) “sun born” or “summer baby”
Nevan “saint, holy one”
Angwyn (Welsh) “white, fair”, “very fair, handsome”
Caderyn (Welsh) “lord of battle”
Gerwyn (Welsh) “fair, love”
Lennon (Irish surname) “meadow”
Gwydion (Welsh) “knowledge” + “fame”
Renfrew “dwells near the still river” or “raven wood”
Selwyn (Welsh) “ardor” + “shining, holy”
Emrys (Welsh) “immortal”
Galahad
Gareth (Welsh) “civilized, gentle” or “powerful with the spear”
Garnock “dwells by the alder tree river”
Gawain
Cadwallader (Welsh) “battle” + “ruler, leader”
Cadwallen “battle dissolver”
Cadfael “battle prince”
Griffen, Griffin, Gryphon mythical creature
Taran ancient Celtic thunder god
Adair “from the ford by the oak trees” (my great grandmother’s maiden surname)
Eremon later Irish kings all claimed descent from him
Lochlain, Lochlann (Old Irish) land of the Vikings
Mahon (old Irish—Mathghamhain) “bear” brother of High King Brian Boru
Nechtan husband of the goddess Boann
Piran, Perran “prayer”
Riordan (Old Irish) “royal poet” or “king’s poet”
Angus (Old Irish) “unique choice, chosen one, unique strength”
Ewan (Gaelic) “born of the Yew tree”
Glendan (Gaelic) “valley”
Peregrine
Owain (Welsh) "well-born, aristocrat" or possibly (Gaelic) "youth". Owen Glendower was a 14th-century Welsh chieftain who fought unsuccessfully for Welsh independence from England. Common outside Wales since the 18th century.
Torin (Gaelic) (Toran, Torean, Toren, Torion, Torran and Torrian) "chief"
#48 of 53 Old 10-17-2010, 07:04 PM

Aine is on my list as a middle name. My 2nd has an unusual name which I love, but it took 2 years before my parents could say it correctly. That's why my 3rd has an unusual name, but as her middle name. I couldn't do it to my parents again.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#49 of 53 Old 10-17-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleumoose View Post
Love the names you all are picking! So many pretty ones! It makes me wish we weren't 95% on our names so we could do some more picking LOL.

Wow two lists with Ronan on them! I'm surprised! That'll most likely be our name if it's a boy. Not sure on middle name. We do family names and need to scour our family trees for ideas lol.

Our girl name is probably Aoife (EE-Fa) Kathleen (after MIL and my aunt).
our girl name is aoife, after my nana and my first name is kathleen, though we won't be using that as a middle name!
#50 of 53 Old 10-17-2010, 08:12 PM

We really love Aoife, it's been at the top of our list for a while, since we started TTC. I'm just worried no one will ever say it right

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#51 of 53 Old 10-18-2010, 04:03 PM

So I saw my parents this weekend and my dad practically begged me to name the baby a certain name if it's a girl. It's a super trendy name and one I don't particularly like. Bleh. It doesn't fit with the pattern of names we've done so far for our children either. We've done Biblical/Christian names for the first name and a family name for the middle name. Ugh. Really hoping this baby is a boy now!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#52 of 53 Old 10-18-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagin37 View Post
We really love Aoife, it's been at the top of our list for a while, since we started TTC. I'm just worried no one will ever say it right
I worry about this too. DH has always his heart set on it, and isn't worried about the spelling/pronunciation issue. I love the name, so eventually came around on it. My plan is that if she gets tired of having to spell it or explain the pronunciation when she gets older, we'll have her choose either Ava or Eva and go by that.

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#53 of 53 Old 10-18-2010, 10:34 PM

I hear you ladies on the pronounciation conundrum. DD was almost Aine. In fact, we didn't name her for almost three days. We ended up going with a very simple, traditional name. Now if we are having another girl, Aine keeps coming up again, but part of me worries about the pronounciation and the other part of me thinks the names of the two sisters would be way too different. (I think sibling names should sort of complement one another in style or popularity or sentiment or something.) The other name that was a top contender last time was Holland. But again, I worry that having one extremely traditional name and one rather different one will seem strange.

Boy names: DH has wanted Ronan since our last pregnancy. We will see...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page