prior cesearean mamas - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 102 Old 02-08-2011, 06:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Not sure what's going to happen with me at this point. I went into preterm labor two weeks ago at 29 weeks and I'm on bedrest now. My blood pressure is creeping up too so I don't know what's going to happen. At this point I'm so miserable with the constant contractions that I just want to make it to term or close to it!

nerdymom likes this.

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#92 of 102 Old 02-08-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayseeliz View Post

Not sure what's going to happen with me at this point. I went into preterm labor two weeks ago at 29 weeks and I'm on bedrest now. My blood pressure is creeping up too so I don't know what's going to happen. At this point I'm so miserable with the constant contractions that I just want to make it to term or close to it!

I'm sorry to hear! I hope you can keep the baby in as close to full term as possible. T&P

married 11/06, DD May 2009, DS  April 2011successful, natural 9lbs 6ozvbac.gif

#93 of 102 Old 03-17-2011, 03:07 PM

Hello there!  I'm new here but wanted to jump in.  I plan on having a VBAC in a hospital this time around.  My son was born by C-Section after an absolutely horrible induction.  It was very traumatic and I swore that day I would NEVER go through that again.  I was completely heartbroken and felt very guilty about agreeing to an induction.  I dealt with a lot of guilt over my choice and felt responsible.  I am very lucky to have an OB that isn't just allowing me to VBAC, but really has been my biggest cheer leader.  I get a pep talk at every appt. if he senses fear or lack of confidence in my ability to do this naturally.  I am going to labor at home as long as possible and my doctor has offered to come to my house to check on me while in labor so that I could feel comfortable staying at home longer.  I'm scared and nervous that after all the energy I put into this VBAC, that I'll fail and be heartbroken again.  But, I'm trying to stay positive and listening to you girls is really inspiring! 

#94 of 102 Old 04-16-2011, 12:43 PM

How's everyone doing?  I'm sure a lot of you have given birth already!  Congratulations!

I'm "due" just into May and am getting excited for sure!    I finally did talk to my OB about VBAC again.  He is very nice and remarkably conservative given he's an OB (in IL.)  He basically says given my history, he doubts I have much chance of a VBA3C, but if I go into labor a couple weeks early and show up at the hospital 6cm dilated, we'll be patient and see what happens.  We have NOT scheduled a RCS date yet and Tuesday is my 38 week appointment.  He said he wants to do a cervix check then.  We'll see if he has anything more to say after that.  I'd be shocked if I'm dilated at all.  Even though I've had crampy contractions with back pain on and off and tons of BH tightening contractions.  I'd also be shocked if the baby engages.  None ever have--even after 25 hours of labor and pitocin. 

I think the OB thinks that if I go into labor after 40 and before 42 weeks, I just show up for a RCS.  At least baby chooses their own birthday.  I tend to think I'll still wait to go into the hospital and if I'm dilating, I will just persuade the doc to let me go for it anyway.  We'll see.  DH thinks we'll finally get the homebirth we've planned the last 3 times, because I'll be too worried to go to the hospital too soon!

My worry is that I just won't go into labor again like the last time, and eventually be begging to just call it done and get it over.

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#95 of 102 Old 04-16-2011, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Jr'smom, that doesn't sound especially encouraging to me! You only have a chance if you go into labor early and dilate at superhuman speeds? That's ridiculous! Sounds like he's paying lip service to giving VBAC a shot while making sure that you're convinced that your highest likelihood by far is a repeat C/S. If you want to go for a VBAC, I'd just refuse to set a date for a C/S and show up whenever you go into labor and refuse a non-medically-indicated C/S. It sucks that you have to fight for something which should be your right - making your own medical decisions.

I'm 39+2 now and hoping for some supermoon action this weekend. My sister will be in town the evening of the 22nd and leaving the evening of the 23rd and won't be back in this part of the country until September. She will KILL me if I don't have the baby by then! I am dying of impatience - I'm 2 weeks farther along than I was when I had DS. If I were having a repeat C/S, I would have had the baby a week ago, but at least I'm not recovering from surgery, right?

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#96 of 102 Old 04-16-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post

Jr'smom, that doesn't sound especially encouraging to me! You only have a chance if you go into labor early and dilate at superhuman speeds? That's ridiculous! Sounds like he's paying lip service to giving VBAC a shot while making sure that you're convinced that your highest likelihood by far is a repeat C/S. If you want to go for a VBAC, I'd just refuse to set a date for a C/S and show up whenever you go into labor and refuse a non-medically-indicated C/S. It sucks that you have to fight for something which should be your right - making your own medical decisions.

I'm 39+2 now and hoping for some supermoon action this weekend. My sister will be in town the evening of the 22nd and leaving the evening of the 23rd and won't be back in this part of the country until September. She will KILL me if I don't have the baby by then! I am dying of impatience - I'm 2 weeks farther along than I was when I had DS. If I were having a repeat C/S, I would have had the baby a week ago, but at least I'm not recovering from surgery, right?

Yeah, it's not exactly encouraging, but if you knew the resistance I've been fighting against around here, it actually is as encouraging as it gets.  I don't think he feels any obligation to pay me lip service.  He could just flat out say "no" like everyone else around here.

I have great MDs as our family doctors who are extremely pro-VBAC and anti-vax, BUT they no longer deliver babies at all because of legal reasons.  Even when I was on my 3rd pregnancy and they were still delivering, they were unable to take a case after 2 C/S.    They were the doctors who took care of me for my first two planned homebirths that ended in C/S.  For the third pregnancy I had to find an underground homebirth midwife who preferred that I co-care with hospital midwives just in case.  Well, I couldn't find any midwives or OBs who would even co-care to support a VBA2C.  After paying $4000 out of pocket for this homebirth midwife, she refused to support me after I was ten days "late."  I didn't hve any bad signs or anything--just a history of 2 C/S and large babies.  She wanted me to lie to the hospital and say I was visiting from out of town and I keep going in and out of labor and want a C/S.  I didn't do that, but I also didn't name her as the person who was supporting me in prenatal care, because she feared something--not quite sure what.  That whole experience turned me off the idea of another planned homebirth with a midwife if that is the atmoshere around here.  Would another midwife hesitate to transfer to the hospital if I needed to because of the VBAC climate in IL?  I don't want to find out.

That left me with trying to find an OB who would support a VBA3C.  I drove more than an hour in each direction of my house consulting with docs rumored to be VBAC supportive. All said "no" to even trying a VBA3C.  The best they could offer was not scheduling the RCS until 42 weeks, allowing my baby to choose ther own birth date if I go into labor before then.  The OB I'm with now, I found through ICAN.  He's the only one who didn't flat out say "no."  He actually considered my reasons for the previous C/S and not just the number of C/Ss.  He said that he didn't think it was a good idea to plan a VBAC when I first consulted with him, but said we'd keep talking about it.

The fact that he's not even triying to schedule something yet, is better than I'd hoped for.  I know it sounds disgusting to most people, but I've truly come to peace with the fact that I've tried as hard as I can to have VBACs each time--this one included.  And this is the best I could do this time.  The OB is actually very relaxed, and I think if I push hard he'll go with what I want in the end.

It will all play out soon.

Hope your baby comes soon!  Sure would be nice for you and baby to get to visit with your sister.

#97 of 102 Old 04-17-2011, 07:35 AM

Hi All I'm coming late to this thread

My DD's birth was an emergency c-section after about 20 hours of labor. She was 2 weeks overdue and I was induced with cervadil (sp?). The cervadil worked and I was laboring on my own and got to 9 centimeters and was pushing (uncontrollable urge to push) when her heart rate crashed and they rushed us to the or.

My c-section was actually a positive experience and I didn't feel traumatized by it. I think this is totally due to the fact that I totally trusted my care providers (midwives with the lowest c-section rate in the city where I live) and knew there was no way a c section would be happening if it wasn't needed--so the fear I felt wasn't around my birth being different than I wanted, or anger about being forced to do medical interventions; but that my child would be ok. And she was. She was healthy and whole and it was the best day of my life!

Fast forward 5 years I'm almost one week overdue with my second babe. I am with the same mid wife practice and have been planning/hoping for a vbac this whole time and they have been extremely supportive. But they won't let me go more than a week past my due date so I have a scheduled c-section coming up on Tues. I would have preferred to go into labor on my own and have a vaginal delivery, but this babe seems to have no plans to come out anytime soon.

On the negative side I'm feeling like the one week time limit is pretty arbitrary and I wonder if my body was just left to its own devices when I would go into labor on my own (remember my first was 2 weeks over due). However I'm an older Mama (41) and not willing to risk hurting myself or my babe to find out (If I was in my 20's who knows? Maybe I'd be going uc!). So scheduled c-section it is.

On the plus side there will be lots of positives when compared to my first c. I will be awake, not under general. I'll be able to see my babe immediately and will not be separated from him (unless there are nicu issues)--I didn't see my DD until several hours after the birth. I got to meet with the Doc who will be doing the section last week (I've know about her for years, she's got a great rep)--with my first c I didn't even see the doc who operated on me until she came by to check on me a few days post-op! My DH will be with me the whole time and he'll get to hold babe right away--last time they had me out of the birth room an into the operating room super fast and he was on his own for 20 terrifying minutes not knowing what was happening (i think that was actually harder on him than me). So although this isn't the vbac I was hoping for I'm ok with it. I just hope everything goes ok! I won;t be fully relaxed until my babe is in my arms and I've counted all his finger and toes!!!!!!

Thanks for this thread! I wanted somewhere to post about this, but was feeling a little intimidated by all the beautiful home birth announcements on our DDC!

#98 of 102 Old 04-17-2011, 07:52 AM

Well I ended up with another c-section but it was a positive experience. Everything went smoothly. My BP spiked big time after being bad for months right before 37 weeks and we went ahead with it. I wasn't a candidate for induction since it would've been a vbac. The nurses and my dr did a great job. My only regret was that DD3 spent time in the special care nursery since her lungs were immature but again everything worked out and we're all safe and sound.

I hope everyone has a wonderful birth experience and healthy babies!!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#99 of 102 Old 04-17-2011, 05:01 PM

Shaki,  I'm glad you could share.  Here's hoping you somehow go into labor before Tuesday, but if not, congratulations on meeting your little guy soon! 

I've been reading all the wonderful homebirth stories here too and am so happy for the families!...and a little jealous that I was never able to experience that as hard as I tried!  It just wasn't meant to be for me.

I'm a little encouraged that I've been having crampy contractions the past few days, but they seem to have stopped today. Hopefully I'm able to try a VBAC at the hospital, but I'm going to accept my fate either way.  I'm NOT going to go through the disappointment/devistation of the loss of a natural birth yet again.  I've fought as hard as I can and now will go with the flow.  I'll be meeting my baby in a few weeks at the longest!

#100 of 102 Old 04-21-2011, 02:52 PM

My beautiful boy was born via scheduled c section on Tues! All went well and my recovery is going great. Will come back soon to post detailed birth story. I hope a positive c section birth story will be of use to other mamas who are in a similar situation to mine.
#101 of 102 Old 04-22-2011, 10:52 AM

I haven't been active on this thread, but wanted to jump in and report that our son Cassidy Forrest was born at home on the morning of 14 April.  My dd was a HBAC a year ago on Christmas, so this was not the first vaginal birth since my cesarean and after the first successful HBAC, I had no worries about this one.  It was as if it took away the cesarean for me.  I hope some of you get your VBACs and similarly feel that your bodies are restored for future births :) 

But, having been through a very traumatic birth in the past, I had to totally come to grips with the fact that this crazy world can throw unexpected curves at you, and I feel like I had to be willing to experience whatever I needed to bring my baby safely into my arms.  Every healthy birth will be a miracle and a joy, and even fully successful VBACs can contain surprises and disappointments, you know?  Much love to all!

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.
#102 of 102 Old 04-23-2011, 01:48 AM

Congratulations, Shaki and Diana!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page