Coping with fatigue - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 08-20-2010, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm 5w today and the sleepies are hitting me hard! And let me tell you, I get CRANKY when I'm tired. I work and I'm going to school, so I do a lot of running around and I don't get a whole lot of time to sit and rest and naps aren't really possible, especially the days when I go straight from work to school (leave home at 8:45am and don't get home till around 9pm).

So how do you cope with fatigue at the times when napping is just not an option?

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 08-20-2010, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Boy, if you can't nap, then I'd get to bed as soon as you can when you get home. I wouldn't want to have days like yours! Working wiped me out last time (and I sometimes took short naps in my car) and I'd lay on the couch from 7 on, and often go to bed around 9:30. Thankfully DH was really supportive!

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#3 of 24 Old 08-20-2010, 01:53 AM

Vitamin C and Vitamin B 50 complex. It's like a bolt of energy, and not harmful at all for you or the baby. Also staying hydrated and drinking an herbal tea, something zingy with lemon or ginger.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#4 of 24 Old 08-20-2010, 08:57 AM

I wish!!! I work 12 hour shifts but my job is pretty fast paced- so I don't have the option to get tired. I worked Mon, Tues, Wed. Then I worked at other job 2 hours yesterday morning (I just go in to help out once in a while) then went in to the hospital to help because they were super busy yesterday for a few hours. I took 3 naps yesterday fell asleep around 9 and feel like I was hit by a truck today.

Definitely going to try to vit. c/b12 thing. I have emergen-c and sublingual b12. bet that would work pretty fast.

My house is a wreck. That's been my solution. When I am home I rest- and thankfully DH has been cooking dinner for us everynight.

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#5 of 24 Old 08-20-2010, 10:00 AM

I've got the sleepies too, and I too am super-cranky when I'm tired. I feel bad because DD is stuck with Lazy Grouchy Mommy so often lately. These are great suggestions. I'm going to try some tea today. (yawn)
#6 of 24 Old 08-20-2010, 11:13 AM

I can not believe how tired I am. I've been taking a 2 hour nap when I get home and then going to bed really early and I still can't get up in the morning. I feel awful too because as a result I'm hardly seeing my DD.

Liora - wife to Pete, IVF miracle DD babygirl.gif (2.11.09) 11 year Infertility survivor! FET miracle TWIN boys babyboy.gifbabyboy.gifborn 2/28 at 32 weeks and growing strong in the NICU.
#7 of 24 Old 08-20-2010, 11:31 AM

Lots of water, protein, a good prenatal (I take Source of Life) and as much sleep as possible. Let stuff go and go to bed as soon as you can when you get home. Nap on the weekends if you can. Exercise too if you can fit it in. That's a tough situation.

I was super tired last week but I've perked up a bit now that I'm 6w. I know it will vary but I'm trying to let things go and just relax about stuff. Hang in there!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#8 of 24 Old 08-20-2010, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Oh I hear you! The fatigue is just terrible. I've learned to just power through because I had succumbed to it earlier once the nausea hit and going to sleep early and taking extra naps TOTALLY screwed up my sleep cycles and I ended up having 2 endless, sleepless nights in a row! It was the worst 48 hours of my life!

me, my man, and our boys (1/08 and 3/11)

#9 of 24 Old 08-20-2010, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

I'm laying on the couch right now, determined to have a lazy day. I was going to go grocery shopping today, but I'm considering putting it off until tomorrow morning. We'll see how I feel after a nap.

I woke up at 9 this morning and couldn't get back to sleep. You'd think I'd be able to sleep later since I'm up half the night, but nooooo. I've had the worst time sleeping - can't get to sleep and when I do I keep waking up. Looking forward to the second trimester when the hormones even out and I can get some sleep!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#10 of 24 Old 08-20-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCat View Post
I wish!!! I work 12 hour shifts but my job is pretty fast paced- so I don't have the option to get tired. I worked Mon, Tues, Wed. Then I worked at other job 2 hours yesterday morning (I just go in to help out once in a while) then went in to the hospital to help because they were super busy yesterday for a few hours. I took 3 naps yesterday fell asleep around 9 and feel like I was hit by a truck today.

Definitely going to try to vit. c/b12 thing. I have emergen-c and sublingual b12. bet that would work pretty fast.

My house is a wreck. That's been my solution. When I am home I rest- and thankfully DH has been cooking dinner for us everynight.
Just a note, my mws recommended a B vitamin complex, because they said taking them in conjunction was more helpful that stocking up on just one. But at the same time I wouldn't go buy a different vitamin if I already had one at home. hth

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
#11 of 24 Old 08-20-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post
Just a note, my mws recommended a B vitamin complex, because they said taking them in conjunction was more helpful that stocking up on just one. But at the same time I wouldn't go buy a different vitamin if I already had one at home. hth
I have the same that she does and it's a liquid complex, it has B-2, Niacin, B-6, and B-12.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#12 of 24 Old 08-20-2010, 02:21 PM

How do you like the liquid vs a capsule? Do you notice a difference?

#13 of 24 Old 08-20-2010, 03:46 PM

Oh I know how you feel! I am 7w as of yesterday and between work everythign else I'm so tired all the time. Getting up at 3:30a.m is just not cutting it when I'm up till at least 9 at night.
I personally found that just taking even 5 minutes to relax taking a small time out helps me some what. At least gets me through my day and so I don't kill my husband .
#14 of 24 Old 08-20-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post
I woke up at 9 this morning and couldn't get back to sleep. You'd think I'd be able to sleep later since I'm up half the night, but nooooo. I've had the worst time sleeping - can't get to sleep and when I do I keep waking up. Looking forward to the second trimester when the hormones even out and I can get some sleep!
My midwife said Hyland's Calms Forte is totally safe. They give women with morning sickness b6 and unisom (which is a sleeping pill) so maybe if you took something you'd atleast get restful sleep when you need it.

I had a girl's night at my house last night (planned before the BFP) and didn't get to bed until past midnight. DS had vacation bible school this morning and DD had a playdate between drop off and pick up. I am totally wiped! Spending afternoon on the couch and letting the kids watch a few too many movies...

I don't sleep restfully so I take the Calms Forte a couple times I week. My problem is I'm getting up every 2 hours to pee already. I only go a tiny bit so I think its just a mental thing I need to get past somehow.

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

#15 of 24 Old 08-20-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post
How do you like the liquid vs a capsule? Do you notice a difference?
The absorption is much faster since you hold the liquid under your tongue for 30 sec. before swallowing. It's a pleasant taste too, so it's very doable while feeling mildely nauseaus. I missed it first thing this morning and didn't feel as good as I normally do, so I took it. I do think I need it along with the milk thistle.

#16 of 24 Old 08-20-2010, 05:45 PM

I've been taking B6, b12 sublingual (with the other stuff in it too) and a gummy vites - so far, I'm not near as tired as I have been in other pregnancies this year. The sublingual b12 is MUCH better absorbed than the pill that you swallow.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#17 of 24 Old 08-20-2010, 06:38 PM

This is the B complex liquid I'm taking

http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Bounty...2336768&sr=8-2

It says take 1-3 x daily. I do once, and I may ask my midwife (once I see her in four weeks or so) about taking more doses. From a little reading, it doesn't seem like you could over due it, especially if it's still w/in the recommended dose on the box. I'm figuring a second dose in the afternoon may be of benefit to me.

#18 of 24 Old 08-20-2010, 08:12 PM

I'm also exhausted. DH lets me sleep if he is home in the mornings. I don't usually take naps because I have a 4, 3, and 1 year old to take care of. I just try to take it easy and not stress too much.

Nina Wife to DH
Mama to DD1-4y DS-3y DD2-21m
#19 of 24 Old 08-20-2010, 09:48 PM

I am extremely tired too! I work from home, but it's a full time and demanding job. By 4 pm, I can hardly function. I am trying to get started earlier and am usually done by 5, then I try to take a nap if at all possible. I didn't work full-time through any of my other pregnancies--when does fatigue usually get better?
#20 of 24 Old 08-20-2010, 11:55 PM

I'm exhausted too. So glad it's not just me. I work full time and lately I haven't had energy to even cook dinner after I get home. I only manage to cook about once a week, the rest of the time it's takeout. It makes me feel bad. Some days I work from home and I try to squeeze in a 30 min nap over lunch - then I at least feel like I can function a bit in the evening, otherwise I'm toast.

Plus I think DH is totally frustrated with my tiredness, he's getting cranky lately. It's pretty annoying actually.
#21 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 03:50 PM

Do the extra B vitamins *really* help with the pregnancy fatigue? I have been taking the Trader Joe Prenatals for now (first thing readily available when I realized I was pregnant). I noticed that they have huge amounts of some B vitamins (B1-588%, B2-500%, B5-150%, B6-600%, B12-313%). Is it only the liquid version of the B vitamins that help? I am super-exhausted, to the point that I am sometimes afraid to drive because I fall asleep so easily.
#22 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

I am wrecked today. I haven't slept well in two weeks. I keep waking every half hour (and not even to pee!) and waking up early on the days I should be sleeping in. Tomorrow's one of those fun double work-school days. I leave the house at 8:45am and I'm expecting to be home around 8:30pm. Ugh.

#23 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 10:16 PM

yamilee27, I've found the B vitamins helpful, HOWEVER, your body is creating a whole extra organ (the placenta) and increasing it's blood volume by 30%. You are working REALLY HARD even in your sleep. Are you anemic? Try an iron supplement. If you are normally borderline anemic, try iron. It might help.

minkajane have you tried zinc? I feel like I've heard it recommended for wakefulness but can't pinpoint it. Are you eating enough calories? I know it sounds like a foolish question but I sleep much better with a full stomach. It sounds like you are really working yourself hard. I hope that the next trimester brings you renewed energy!

#24 of 24 Old 08-24-2010, 12:10 PM

I hardly see my DD. I am so wiped out when I get home from work that I'm taking a 2 hour nap most days. Then I"m up for dinner and bath before she goes to bed and I'm not up much longer after that. ALL I do is sleep! I say "I'm going to go upstairs and grow a baby" instead of "nap".

Liora - wife to Pete, IVF miracle DD babygirl.gif (2.11.09) 11 year Infertility survivor! FET miracle TWIN boys babyboy.gifbabyboy.gifborn 2/28 at 32 weeks and growing strong in the NICU.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page