need something besides water - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-25-2010, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are you all drinking? I drink lots water and tea. When not PG I enjoy a beer two or three nights a week with dinner or after the kids are in bed. I am not craving beer at all (I did with my first! It was so weird!), I just want something interesting to enjoy in the evenings to change it up. What are you all drinking besides tea and water? I am not much of a soda drinker, I like to avoid tons of extra sugar, but i was thinking maybe those Hansens (is that the name) Natural sodas? I just need something to change it up a few nights a week or for the last few BBQs we have to attend this summer. I craved sparkling water with DD1, but that does not seem too appealing right now, maybe if I add fresh lemon though??

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2010, 08:51 PM

i've been having hankerings for iced lemonade. we've got a lot of cucumbers in our garden, so i've been making cucumber limeade as well. good stuff. i'd go for any virgin cocktail someone else was willing to make for me. i might even consider making myself a virgin mojito since i happen to have those ingredients.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
Old 08-25-2010, 08:52 PM

I really love drinking kombucha when I want something like a beer, or non-alcoholic sparkling apple juice. You can also mix sparkling water with a little of any juice to make it more interesting. I'm having a hard time drinking water right now it's so cold and rainy where I am, so lots of hot drinks for me right now.

Totally in love with my mountain man husband, and deeply fallen for my baby bird Gemma (8/09) and a new bird joining the nest this spring!
Old 08-25-2010, 09:23 PM

I drink limeades: cranberry, cherry and regular lime. Try different 'spritzers' like lemonade and cranberry for instance. Gatorade has been good to me. You could add gingerale to drinks as well. Good luck!
Old 08-25-2010, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Natural ginger ale, water with lemon, and coconut water.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
Old 08-25-2010, 09:40 PM

crystal light has these things out now that aren't artificially sweetened/colored. I think they are called pure naturals or something. I sometimes mix those with club soda (or water). I also have been doing regular lemonaide but I usually water it down a little. And I've been doing a bit of gatoraide, too.

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
Old 08-25-2010, 10:36 PM

The Izze drinks are carbonated water and fruit juice. I have them for times of desperation.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gerolsteiner mineral water and cranberry juice. Limonatas. LOTS of locally produced Kombucha.

Mother to L.O. born at home 10.17.08 EDD for #2 4.21.2011
Old 08-26-2010, 12:17 AM

I love lemonade made at home, sweetened with liquid stevia. It's so refreshing, and the lemon is really good for you! I need to buy a new bag of lemons soon...

I either make a pitcher or a glass, it depends.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
Old 08-26-2010, 12:19 AM

Smoothies! Usually strawberry, banana, mango & coconut milk. Sometimes with yogurt, sometimes without... Yummmmmy! :-)

Wife to John, Mom to Melanie (1/08), Deklan (5/09) and stork-suprise.gif due April 11, 2011 h20homebirth.gif vbac.gif & just started cd.gif
Old 08-26-2010, 12:40 AM

I LOVE lemonade right now. I can drink a carton of Newman's Own in a couple of days. I know, I know -- the sugar!

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
Old 08-26-2010, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the ideas!! Sparkling water and cran juice is sounding really good!!!

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

Old 08-26-2010, 01:29 AM

Anyone else craving milk?

I try to drink OJ, especially for the folic acid, but any type of juice is too sweet for me right now and makes me gag.

Married to Tony 6/07. Mommy to Jude 4/08 and Gemma 4/11.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

BTW - I was at the store tonight where I did pick up some sparkling water and I checked out the Hanses... 43g of sugar!! At least it is cane sugar, but that is off my list now. I just can't do that much sugar in one sitting! The ginger ale was 23g I think and if the m/s kicks in I will be getting some of that. It was one of the few things I could stomach last time.

Sarah

Old 08-26-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreenemama View Post
Anyone else craving milk?

I try to drink OJ, especially for the folic acid, but any type of juice is too sweet for me right now and makes me gag.
I could NOT get enough milk with my first pregnancy! Milk and baked potatoes (not together) were my major cravings. Nothing so far.

OJ gives me heartburn when I'm not pregnant. I'm drinking mostly a weak lemonade (I detest water) to get lots of fluids with very little sugar.

Liora - wife to Pete, IVF miracle DD babygirl.gif (2.11.09) 11 year Infertility survivor! FET miracle TWIN boys babyboy.gifbabyboy.gifborn 2/28 at 32 weeks and growing strong in the NICU.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:45 PM

I usually water down some juice (oj, ruby red grapefruit, some of the apple/berry combos) so I get some flavor without all the sugar. If I'm feeling fancy, some sparkling water makes it yummy. If I were going to a bbq/party, I might bring along some ginger ale or yes, Hansen's soda -- so yummy!

Mama to 4 girls    chicken3.gif5/05, 12/07, 9/09, 3/11   winner.jpghomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg

Old 08-26-2010, 02:24 PM

Iced tea with homemade simple syrup - lemon and ginger are my two flavors right now.

Sonic limeades!

True Orange mixed with water and ice - Tang w/o the sugar.

Craved milk my previous pregnancies, not so much this one.

Sparkling water with fruit juice, cuts the sugary taste.

wild.gif loves her sleepytime.gif and her dueling toddlers M - 2006fencing.gifG - 2008 and of course baby R - 2011 luxlove.gif

Our "farm" includes 8 of these chicken3.gif 2 of these dog2.gifand 1 of these cat.gif

Old 08-26-2010, 05:05 PM

Sparkling strawberry lemonade. I make it at home with trader joe's frozen lemonade concentrate (which I like because it doesn't have HFCS in it), about 1 1/2 bottles of pellegrino and some pureed strawberries (I always have them on hand because DD2 believes that a healthy diet should consist of about 80% strawberries, 20% anything else). :-)

SO very yummy and refreshing.

I'm thinking of doing something with ginger...maybe making my own ginger ale-ish brew...not sure how I'll do that yet.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:27 PM

I had a Passion iced tea from Starbucks today. Sooo good. I need to buy some of their tea bags and make it myself. The True Lemon, Lime, and Orange packets so help make my water more palatable.

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

Old 08-29-2010, 06:48 PM

BlueSky makes a zero calorie soda with Truvia that isnt bad http://www.blueskysoda.com/#/products/free-soda

I also love the Honest Tea, they have 20 G sugar in the 2 serving bottle.

Dry Soda Lavender is my splurge: 19g sugar per 12 oz bottle.
http://www.drysoda.com/flavor-lavender.php

But my FAVORITE find ever is the Ayala's Herb water!!!
http://www.herbalwater.com/products/...emon-peel.aspx
I love every flavor but the cinnamon orange peel. The ginger lemon peel is really nice for any nausea feelings as is the lavender mint. (atleast it was before pregnancy, havent had any yet this one)
Old 08-29-2010, 07:56 PM

lemonade is about all i can drink right now, so i just keep making pitchers of it
Old 08-29-2010, 08:10 PM

that lavender soda looks amazing, i'm going to look for that!

i've been drinking tibicos(water kefir) like it's going out of style. i make a quart or so with a whole lemon, fresh ginger and candied ginger(it eats the sugar) and it's a perfect mix of lemonade/ginger ale with a little fermenty-ness like beer. i'm generally a beer/glass of wine on the patio after the kids are asleep kind of mama, but lately, i've been so tired, the hubs is out there with the dog while i take a shower/tidy up and go to sleep!
Old 08-29-2010, 09:58 PM
TMB

iced herbal teas are great...I too love the Starbuck Passion one, but ginger, blackberry, anything with a little bite is awesome to me right now. I've also been really craving lime, so I've been adding it to sparkling water sometimes too. I have to second the Izze drinks for "special occasions" too.

Tara - mama to Wes (4/3/09) and DC#2 due 4/16/11 --fx
Old 08-30-2010, 11:30 AM

tell me more about the cucumber ade? What do you put in that...of course cucumber but what else
I've been craving ginger ale, and downing a ton of cold water.
I was craving oj for a week or so until i got really sick and cant even think to smell it right now.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
Old 08-30-2010, 12:21 PM

i've been making this Agua de Pepino (Cucumber Limeade), but there are 2 other cucumber drinks on the site as you can see. the cocktail is virgin. some of the other recipes are really good too.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
Old 08-30-2010, 05:18 PM

I've been drinking Lemonade Kool-Aid. The little unsweetened packets that you're supposed to add sugar to. I don't add anything. Its pretty sour but its been tasting good the last few days.

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

Old 08-30-2010, 06:04 PM

Juice, lots of it. Probably not the best from a sugar standpoint, but if you cut it with club soda, it probably isn't too bad. I can only drink so much water, and the iced mochas and things I used to drink at work don't sound good anymore.

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
Old 08-31-2010, 11:19 AM

Wow, I thought that craving lemonade was something unusual to me! Must just be a pregnancy thing. Cool! I'm drinking a lot of club soda with a splash of lemon juice in it, right now. Feels like a cocktail...

Other drinks I like a lot when I'm pregnant:
- Milk (a weird craving, especially because I was almost vegan when I got pregnant with DD) -- warm milk mixed with honey was the ONLY thing that could calm my heartburn in later pregnancy.
- juice (cut with sparkling water)
- Beer (I crave Corona like there's no tomorrow... so occasionally I drink a third of one and give the rest to DH. )
- decaf coffee (at least before the heartburn kicks in)
- Red raspberry leaf tea!!!! It's SO good for toning your uterus and preparing you for labor. I brew up a big batch of it and keep in in the fridge and drink it on ice (a bit tastier that way). I can't remember right now what the herb mixture was that I made with DD but it was really good. I'll come up with it and post later, if anyone's interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightheartedmom View Post
I'm thinking of doing something with ginger...maybe making my own ginger ale-ish brew...not sure how I'll do that yet.
Get a large piece of ginger (like 3-4 square inches), wash it well and slice it thinly. Then simmer it in about 4-6 quarts of water with 1 cup sugar for about half an hour. You might have to simmer longer to get to the right strength for you; the longer you leave it, the stronger it is. You can even put it in the crock pot overnight. I really like doing this with ginger that's starting to get a little hard from sitting around too long. I put this in the fridge and mixed it with water or raspberry leaf tea. Great for morning sickness!

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!

User Tag List