Pregnancy Induced RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-30-2010, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's already getting sooo bad for me this time. My midwife told me last time that it was liver related, and to take sips of water every 15 min all day long...that's tough to remember.

Does anyone else suffer from this, and did you find anything to help??

I've also been reading magnesium, calcium, and a host of other supplements, but it's so hard for me to even eat and take the couple pills I have to take, without adding more things on top of it.

Wife, 27, to DH, 33, and Mama to DS1 Josiah - 8/09, DS2 James - 3/11, 10 angel babies, 3 foster children, and one adorable ALMOST ADOPTED son - 5/05 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 08-30-2010, 11:47 AM

liquid calcium-magnesium before bed. May have to do more than the recommended dose on the bottle.

epsom salt baths before bed.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#3 of 8 Old 08-30-2010, 01:11 PM

I had it BAD with Riley, I took yellowdock and it really really helped very quickly. Mine gets like that when my iron is low, so taking iron can help too, but the yellowdock really helped a LOT.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#4 of 8 Old 08-30-2010, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, awesome! Thanks so much both of you! I NEED to stay on top of my iron, anyway. Extra incentive to do so

Wife, 27, to DH, 33, and Mama to DS1 Josiah - 8/09, DS2 James - 3/11, 10 angel babies, 3 foster children, and one adorable ALMOST ADOPTED son - 5/05 

#5 of 8 Old 08-31-2010, 02:49 AM

Holy crap, I can't believe how bad my RLS is already!
Cal Mag helps me a lot (when I can get it down), as does simple calf stretches before bed.
I'm totally going to try yellowdock

reading.gifdiaper.gif ♥ baby.gif baby.gif ♥
but a lesson must be lived in order to be learned.
and the clarity to see and stop this now
that is what i've earned (a.d.)
#6 of 8 Old 08-31-2010, 02:57 AM

DDCC

I have RLS when NOT pregnant and for me it tends to be very much related to low iron levels. My symptoms tend to pop up when I haven't gotten much in my diet and tend to calm down or go away if I make sure to eat some iron-rich foods. Believe it or not, cooking in a cast iron skillet actually sheds quite a bit of usable iron into your food.

Full-time RVing wifey, TTC #1 and working towards living debt-free!
#7 of 8 Old 08-31-2010, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

I took 3 magnesium, 2 benadryl, and a Phenergan last night, and it was still so bad I was crying and angry. Every inch of my body crawls except my head/face - it's that bad! DH finally went to the guest bed so he could get some sleep for work today and that also gives me the whole bed. That helped a little.

I'm going to get the yellowdock asap. I know my iron is fine, because of my maternity panel done just a couple weeks ago. I'm also on massive amounts of iron to keep it up...

#8 of 8 Old 09-09-2010, 10:46 AM

Hey everyone with RLS!! I have this too and just went to my doc to talk about it. She recommended a couple of things, specifically taking a cal/mag supplement (if you aren't already). But the other thing that she recommended was taking an Epsom salts bath before bed, heavy with Epsom salts, like 5 cups. The magnesium from the Epsom salts will absorb into the skin and nervous system that way. Oh, and she said acupuncture can help too.

Just thought I would pass this on. Good luck

Lisa - Mama to DD (12/07) and now a DS (3/11)! A wonderful uc.jpg!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page