Freaking out!!! Help!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 08-31-2010, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello ladies,

I'm officially freaking out. I really need some reassurance.

I just got my 3rd set of results, which shows my hcg level at 6.5 weeks at 6645. Apparently, the normal range for this week starts at 10,000 and I've been 'flagged'. I'm waiting to hear from the midwife tomorrow, but I am totally freaking out!!!

Does this mean I'm going to miscarry? I really need someone to talk too....

My first results I posted somewhere but don't have them infront of me at the moment-the last ones were in teh 4500s I believe. That's not much of a climb>

I can't stop crying! I don't want to lose another baby!!!

Marcie

Mother of reading.gif, REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifjammin.gif and babyf.gifborn Oct. 5th after angel.gif  angel.gif angel.gif. Social Media Manager and writer by day, Bloomin' Belly Soap maker by night.

#2 of 19 Old 08-31-2010, 04:19 PM

I'm so sorry you're having a hard time *hugs*. My levels at 6w0d were 8,000 and didn't even double in 3 days, so I was very worried too. I really upped my use of progesterone cream. Can you get some asap? Use the dose 4x a day, and switch from your arms, to your belly/breasts, to your thighs/legs, to your back. You can also use it in your vagina 1x/day. It doesn't mean that you *won't* lose your baby (God forbid), and I'm not a medical professional, but that was the instructions I was given a few weeks ago by people who ARE medical professionals. Your levels are going up some, so that is still a good sign.

Love and prayers!

Wife, 27, to DH, 33, and Mama to DS1 Josiah - 8/09, DS2 James - 3/11, 10 angel babies, 3 foster children, and one adorable ALMOST ADOPTED son - 5/05 

#3 of 19 Old 08-31-2010, 04:21 PM

I have no experience here but just wanted to offer support...I know you will get some good feedback!

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#4 of 19 Old 08-31-2010, 04:26 PM

Everyone produces HCG at different rates! You might want to task for an u/s since you're almost 7 weeks. They should be able to see something by now. Hang in there!! I know it's hard to wait!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#5 of 19 Old 08-31-2010, 04:39 PM

are you sure your dd is right? Could you be not as far along as your edd has you at?

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#6 of 19 Old 08-31-2010, 04:55 PM

Hmm, the doubling rate slows down around 6 weeks. You can calculate it here.

Also from that site:

# The hCG levels will usually double approximately every 48 hours [ 2 days ] for the first four weeks of pregnancy.
# As pregnancy progresses the doubling time increases. By 6 to 7 weeks gestation beta hCG levels may take as long as 84 hours [ 3½ days ] to double.
# The beta hCG may take more than 48 - 72 hours [ 2 to 3 days ] to double in 15% of normal intrauterine pregnancies.

It's also worth noting that 10,000 is an average, the range for a healthy pregnancy is much, much wider. Hope everything is well.
#7 of 19 Old 08-31-2010, 05:14 PM

Check out this chart from betabase. It has HCG levels from real women, not lab averages.

http://www.betabase.info/showBasicChart.php?type=Single

As you can see, the numbers vary greatly. I know it's hard not to worry. Maybe your midwife would send you for an u/s for reassurance.

heartbeat.gif Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 6, 3, 2) & 3 angel1.gif
#8 of 19 Old 08-31-2010, 05:38 PM

Between 1500 and 6000 miu, HCG doubles every 72ish hours, after 6000 miu it is supposed to double every 96+ hours.

When did you get the last beta taken? Like how many days ago? And I agree, you should be able to see something at 6k plus for sure on a t/v u/s.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#9 of 19 Old 08-31-2010, 05:55 PM

I know this is a pregnancy directly following a miscarriage, are you positive of when you ovulated? Is it possible that you are not as far along as you think?

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#10 of 19 Old 08-31-2010, 06:29 PM

I'm sorry. This whole early pregnancy part just sucks sometimes.

Just because its not at the 'average' doesn't mean its not your normal. Some people just have higher or lower betas than others. I would wait and see what your mw says and maybe see if she can get you in for an u/s to see whats happening since that will give you a better overall picture than a beta will at this point.

Keep us posted. s s s

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#11 of 19 Old 08-31-2010, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Hi ladies,
Thanks for all the replies....

I miscarried on July 13th-19th. I assume I ovulated around the 27th, and I had a possible positive OPK on the 27th, so I'm going with it.

I don't usually like to do a lot of US, because I don't think they're good for the baby-but in this instance, I'm wondering if a quick US wouldn't cause less damage than the stress I'm feeling....

I found my Betas...ok, so...assuming I ovulated on July 27th, here is my info:

27DPO: 2375
29DPO: 4255
31DPO: 6645

Yes, it's rising....but I read somewhere that it needs to hit 10,000 by week 8-10, because it starts to decrease. At this rate, I'll never reach that number by then-especially since doubling takes up to 96 hours once it hits 6000!

Ok, I know I sound absolutely paranoid and stuck on numbers-and I've never been this way-hardly had any tests with any of my kids! But after 2 very recent losses, and this being our final attempt, I am seriously stressed....

I think I'm worried because although my nipples are super sore, and I'm craving some weird things, (green olives and haagen daz anyone?) I have very little nausea and I'm having some very mild cramping and lower back fatigue/discomfort....

Anyhow, I know there's never any guarantees-but maybe you're right that an US, now that I think I'm 7 weeks-would answer any fears I have.

Thanks again....

Mother of reading.gif, REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifjammin.gif and babyf.gifborn Oct. 5th after angel.gif  angel.gif angel.gif. Social Media Manager and writer by day, Bloomin' Belly Soap maker by night.

#12 of 19 Old 08-31-2010, 07:16 PM

DDC crashing...first, CONGRATULATIONS! Second, I have been there! I had two losses before this one so I completely understand the stress you are feeling. I just wanted to offer you reassurance about the US. First, you need to know that I was against US and didn't have any with my first two. But this one, when the doctor suggested it, I decided to go for it. The stress hormones seemed to me to be much more of a long term pregnancy hazzard. So, I had 3 US between 5 weeks and 8 weeks. In *total* the baby had 4 minutes of US exposure. Because at this stage, they will use the vaginal ultrasound they can almost instantaneously see your uterus and your bundle of joy. Third, should you get the US and everything looks great (which it should!!! ) you might think about spending the $50-75 for a home doppler. This allows me, in those dark, panicky moments to listen to the heartbeat for just a second and actually *hear* that things are okay. Now, you can't hear it until 12 weeks or so but knowing that I had that option has really helped me to hang in there.

I'm also going to suggest baby aspirin (81mg) daily. There is no evidence that it is harmful when it isn't needed but it can be tremendously helpful in sustaining pregnancy where it is needed. You might ask your doctor/midwife about it.

Also, the pregnancy after loss hypnosis track was the best $12 I have ever spent. I could go from hysterical crying to calm, sleep in 15 minutes. No joke. Just google it. The website looks cheesy but it is legitimate. I highly recommend this!

Hang in there mama! Anything you decide with regard to getting yourself through this is reasonable...ultrasound, no ultrasound, whatever you need to do to be calm is what you should. s

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#13 of 19 Old 08-31-2010, 07:35 PM

Ok, your betas actually look fine - they are rising at 57 hours between the first 2, and 74 hours between the second 2. So you are way within the doubling hours they like to see. I honestly, honestly think that you may have ovulated later than you think you did. It's not unheard of to get a positive OPK and not ovulate, and then your body will keep trying until you do ovulate. You already know for certain you did ovulate since you got pregnant, but I'm betting anything that after the m/c your body tried and then didn't ovulate that time you got the positive OPK.

When did you get your first BFP and how dark was it? That might help us narrow it down as well. You sound like you might be around 5.5-6 weeks, which would make sense if you ovulated a few days later than you thought. I would highly recommend an u/s just for your own peace of mind and to set a good due date in case you tend to have preterm or overdue babies so that you won't get pressured either way. (((hugs))) I'm sorry - PAL is so nervewracking!

#14 of 19 Old 08-31-2010, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalamos23 View Post
Ok, your betas actually look fine - they are rising at 57 hours between the first 2, and 74 hours between the second 2. So you are way within the doubling hours they like to see. I honestly, honestly think that you may have ovulated later than you think you did. It's not unheard of to get a positive OPK and not ovulate, and then your body will keep trying until you do ovulate. You already know for certain you did ovulate since you got pregnant, but I'm betting anything that after the m/c your body tried and then didn't ovulate that time you got the positive OPK.

When did you get your first BFP and how dark was it? That might help us narrow it down as well. You sound like you might be around 5.5-6 weeks, which would make sense if you ovulated a few days later than you thought. I would highly recommend an u/s just for your own peace of mind and to set a good due date in case you tend to have preterm or overdue babies so that you won't get pressured either way. (((hugs))) I'm sorry - PAL is so nervewracking!
You may have a point! I didn't even know a body could get a + OPK and NOT ovulate! I took a pregnancy test the day my period was due, and it was negative. Then I took it 4 days later and it was definately positive-then a few days later, I took another and the test line showed up waaay before the control line, and is about twice as dark...lol

Huh. So you think I may actually not be at 7 weeks? That is an interesting thought...and very reassuring.

Thanks for understanding my total freakishness. Seriously-I'm usually sooo much more calm and trusting than this.

Marcie

#15 of 19 Old 08-31-2010, 08:00 PM

I agree with jenne. I rent a Doppler from bellybeats for 25 per month and it is so worth the peace of mind

Liora - wife to Pete, IVF miracle DD babygirl.gif (2.11.09) 11 year Infertility survivor! FET miracle TWIN boys babyboy.gifbabyboy.gifborn 2/28 at 32 weeks and growing strong in the NICU.
#16 of 19 Old 08-31-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalamos23 View Post

I totally agree with everything kalamos said. This part of pregnancy is sooo hard, especially after a loss.

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
#17 of 19 Old 08-31-2010, 10:34 PM

Ok, so I'm totally guessing that your period was due on the 10th or the 11th of August? And you tested positive like the 14th of August? I bet you are a day or 2 ahead of me then. I tested with an early positive at 9dpo on the 13th, if you were at 11dpo on the 14th (which most people would get a line on most tests) or even 12-13dpo, that would put you at 6w0d-6w2d today.

If you are 6w0d today, then you are in the middle with the numbers and your doubling sounds totally fine:
http://betabase.info/showDailyData.p...=Single&dpo=28

#18 of 19 Old 09-01-2010, 10:22 PM

Did you hear from your midwife today gabesgirl? Thinking of you! How are you doing?

me(29) and dh(27) -- SAHM to dd (8/7/8) --
Thrilled to be expecting our second baby - 4/6/11
#19 of 19 Old 09-10-2010, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Ladies,

Sorry I haven't been on, and for some reason my notifications don't always work!(?)

The midwife took the numbers to a meeting with the whole office, and they agreed that it's lower than average, but at this point doesn't present anything to be worried about. I was sooo relieved!

I am now 8w3 days, and in 4 days I will be having a "dating" scan, which is code for "we are checking for a heartbeat" here in Canada. Sometimes I feel really pregnant, and other times it's like I'm not at all. It's strange, so I'll be looking forward to seeing a blink*blink on that sono.

I'll keep you posted either way...thanks for keeping me in your thoughts!

Marcie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page