To ultrasound or not - I've changed my mind. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-10-2010, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I never thought about the vet's! perhaps it would be cheaper there than going to the hospital...we have goats so perhaps we could get a house call from a vet conveniently around the time of the baby's birth...
~lizzy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2010, 04:16 PM

I'm not anti u/s but I do know that not all heart defects are picked up by fetal ultrasound. My SIL had many u/s during her last pregnancy b/c she is type 1 diabetic and over 40 and very high risk. They even did a fetal echo since there is a greater possibility of heart defects and nothing showed up. However her son was born and after hearing a heart murmur, they followed it up with another echo and found out that he had tetralogy of fallot. He had heart surgery at 2 months old because of it.

I am definitely sure that the anatomy scan does save lives, especially for babies that need immediate assistance after birth but it may not pick up everything. A good newborn check will hopefully pick up anything that was missed.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:13 PM

Ultrasounds are a bit scary to me too, but so is not knowing that everything looks good. For this reason I always do JUST ONE ultrasound. At 20 weeks. It's always hard to know what is best isn't it?

Mama to DD 8 * DS 6 * DS 2
Expecting #4 Late Nov 2011

User Tag List