am I the only one who can't stop spitting??? ugghhh somebody help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-08-2010, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was so excited to be pregnant without all of the spitting that I went through in my first pregnancy but somewhere around week 8 all of that changed and I am miserable! I've tried everything...preggie drops, hard candy, gum, constant drinking, constant eating but nothing works? Anyone figured out a remedy for this weird symptom? I told my doctor and of course he prescribed med (Zofran) which definitely didn't solve the problem.

While you're solving my problems, can someone tell me what do to about this constant hunger??? I am STARVING but nothing will stay down. I can deal with the hunger but I just want to make sure that the baby doesn't suffer because of it.

Please help

P married to B mama to DD (01/05) and happily expecting 4/1/2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 09-09-2010, 11:52 AM

They actually say that spitting helps with MS. But you're not alone, it drives me crazy sometimes too. Have you tried dry coffee under your tongue? Don't swallow it, just rinse it out. It might make you gag, but I can guarantee you'll get some immediate relief from the spitting. Here are some other tips that I picked up from another site:
1. No more sweets!!!!! Sugars induce saliva more than any other food. 2. Foods that have wheat or flour in them are the absolute worst! If you eat bread, crackers,grain bars, granola, etc. most likely your spitting is pretty terrible. Foods that contain wheat and gluten stick to your tongue even after swallowing indicating to your mouth that you are still eating which produces even MORE saliva than the stuff you're trying to battle. If you insist on having your grains then makes sure to thoroughly clean your mouth afterwards either by brushing your teeth or scraping your tongue. Using a neutral tasting toothpaste will also help since most toothpaste uses a sugar free sweetener which will leave a bad aftertaste in your mouth and mint is not a pregnant woman's best friend. There are really great products out there that you can buy to keep your mouth healthy, clean and free of saliva producers. Like a flavor-less oxygenating mouthwash! Keep your tongue super clean! 3. Salty foods are your best friend. Anything with a high sodium content, works wonders for your body's water absorption. Salt is a natural water absorbent and will also help absorb and keep your mouth comfortably dry. Try eating steamed spinach with a little bit of salt, or a baked potato with salted butter. (Also, salt helps clean your tongue!) 4. High protein foods! Chicken, fish, beef. If you aren't vegetarian make this a part of every meal. Not only will it help with nausea but these drier foods will help keep your mouth dry as well especially since they are most often prepared with salt. If you are a vegetarian celery and carrots work well. Just make sure to keep munching on them all day. 5. Eat a little bit of protein all day long and counter your body's need for liquid by drinking a lot of water. Your body is over producing right now because you're probably spitting up, with no appetite and liquids make you feel queasy. Point blank: your dehydrated. Even if it makes you sick drink water and you'll notice a big change. 6. Gargle with salt water. 2:1 salt to water.

As for he hunger/vomiting part, the ONLY thing that's helped me (Zofran didn't work AT ALL, just left me constipated) is to make sure to eat a little something every hour on the hour. Even if it's just a bite. The minute your stomach starts to get empty, you will start vomiting. I thought the food was making me vomit at first, but in reality it was that I was waiting too long to eat and then eating too much at once . Now it's gotten much better. Anyway, I hope this helps mama, and you can start keeping some food down. I know how bad it sucks

Wife (32) of 8 years to DH (33), Mom to Logan geek.gif (7), and Tristan and Cael, twins.gif the wee ones, born 3/18/11! And OMW a surprise babyf.gif due 2/2013!
#3 of 3 Old 09-10-2010, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you soooo much. I have been all over the web but never saw the stuff you just posted. The dehydration got so bad that I checked myself in the hospital this morning where they hooked me up to an IV and gave me a couple liters of fluids. Now I feel like I have been "reset" so this will be a perfect do-over. I think I have been doing EVERYTHING wrong! I will start with eating more and staying away from gluten ! I've never been too much into eating healthy, I just eat what tastes good but obviously things have to change if I want to come out of this misery.

Of course the nurses and doctors did not give me ANY good information on how to stop spitting

Once again, thanks so very much!

P married to B mama to DD (01/05) and happily expecting 4/1/2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page