Homebirthers - when will you get your birth supplies? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-10-2010, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know a lot of midwives have birth kits or certain supplies that they require their clients to purchase and have ready. Or maybe there's some stuff that you want to have for the birth. When do you plan on ordering them?

I'm ordering a fetoscope on the first of October (I get paid on the first of the month) since I figure I'll start hearing a heartbeat around the first of November. All the rest of the birth stuff I'm going to order with my Christmas money so it's one less thing to pay for and worry about when it gets close to baby time.

Is it weird to have this stuff sitting around for months? When do you plan on getting all your supplies?

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#2 of 12 Old 09-10-2010, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My midwife will not do homebirths until 34 weeks so I don't get anything until at least then. I get everything from Birth with Love: http://www.birthwithlove.com/categor...ITID=453058246

I have a fetoscope from my pregnancy with my son. I lent it out to my best friends whose birth I attended last week and I just got it back last night. I'm excited for when I can hear little bird's heart beat.

Mother to L.O. born at home 10.17.08 EDD for #2 4.21.2011
#3 of 12 Old 09-10-2010, 11:01 PM

my sister is having a homebirth this month and works mother/baby in a hospital. last time she built a little stash for me. plus she's in frontier's midwifery program. probably won't get supplies until after i see what she sends.

it was good to have 6 weeks early last time. that way my midwife could look at the stuff and make sure we had what we needed.

Liz, wife to John, mom to Dylan and my giant slug zocha :
#4 of 12 Old 09-11-2010, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
As I recall, I didn't start gathering stuff until around 7 months last time. I do think it would be nice to see the list and maybe start gathering what I can for free over the early months but I'm not even due to see my MW util another 2+ weeks.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#5 of 12 Old 09-11-2010, 09:02 PM

I have 90% of it from last time ( old sheets, towels, receiving blankets etc)
Midwife brings the other half of it... the only things I really need to buy are pads ( I like to make them with witch hazel and throw them in the freezer), some plastic to cover the rugs so they don't get bloody, some chux pads and maybe some depends.

All natural Mama to Keira 6/1/07, Israel 10/10/ 09, Nairi 04/01/2011, and #4 March 2013

#6 of 12 Old 09-11-2010, 10:09 PM

Last time I waited until near the end. We had to have it all assembled, sterilized and ready to go for our home visit around 37 weeks. I waited until a week or so before and bought it all then... birth kit from the MWs, and towels etc from thrift store.

The one thing I would highly recommend purchasing early is a pool, if you're going to have one. Last time I was late purchasing it and didn't have a chance to do a trial run. I inflated it one Saturday night and went into labor several hours later. Turned out the pool had a structural problem. I could use it but my DH or doula had to support one side of the pool the entire time. Gave a whole new meaning to the idea of birth support lol!

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#7 of 12 Old 09-12-2010, 12:59 AM

LOL Allison!

I have no idea! This is my first home birth and I haven't been to my first appt yet. So, I imagine she'll give me her opinion on when to buy it. I love the idea of purchasing it with your Christmas money!

Tiffany, wife to Ian, mom to Kieron (4) and Callum (2). Baby Due Mid April, 2011!
#8 of 12 Old 09-12-2010, 08:43 PM

Last time I got them around 35 weeks. Before 36 weeks, my midwife would have sent me to the hospital...

Mama to DD 8 * DS 6 * DS 2
Expecting #4 Late Nov 2011
#9 of 12 Old 09-14-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyem View Post
Last time I got them around 35 weeks. Before 36 weeks, my midwife would have sent me to the hospital...
Me too. I guess that is pretty much the standard.

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#10 of 12 Old 09-14-2010, 05:41 PM

Ok, mamas...this is crazy because I'm only 10 weeks and not even past the point of my miscarriage but I guess I've started my birth kit. I was at the Dollar Tree today (my first time in that crazy store). Anyway, I found a king sized waterproof mattress pad for a dollar and bought it. Oy...

#11 of 12 Old 09-17-2010, 05:32 PM

A mattress pad for $1??? That made me laugh! You can definitely find an odd mix of stuff in those stores.
#12 of 12 Old 09-17-2010, 06:09 PM

I know, MI...I was so excited. It even has a "skirt" meaning it fits down over the sides of the bed and it's not "super nasty" material either, kind of like shower curtain, which is what I had for DC's birth.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page