Anyone not been to a midwife or Dr. yet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 09-11-2010, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 10 wks and i'm not sure what I'm going to do about prenatal care. I did pretty much unassisted for my last pregnancy. I did see a midwife the last 2 months of my pregnancy. This time, i'm unsure what i want to do. We dont have insurance and I'm thinking about medicaid but I dont want to deal with all the paper work to get it.
This is my 5th baby, a part of me wants to get prenatal care for peace of mind and to do something for me. But then I dont want to deal with all the so called interventions that prenatal cares comes with.
Just wondering who else hasnt had any prenatal care and what your thoughts are.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#2 of 22 Old 09-11-2010, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
I haven't yet but do plan to. I called the MW I have chosen to let her know I am pregnant and will have a visit with her sometime after the 12th week. I think that's pretty standard for Homebirth MW.

Re: Medicaid, if you are going to get it, I recommend at least calling your local homebirth MW to see if they take it. I know that there is one in my area that (so long as your choose the correct Medicaid provider) is covered 100% by Medicaid.

We actually have insurance but through a HMO and I'm not willing to go that route. Plus, the co-pay would be about what it costs to pay the MW I like out of pocket. So frustrating that that's how it works.

Good luck whatever you decide.

BTW, I was checking out your siggie earlier and think your child spacing is so interesting! Seems like you were on the 5 year plan there for a while.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#3 of 22 Old 09-11-2010, 10:17 PM

I'm 5 and a half weeks (had both my kids before their EDD so lurking here) and have no intention of getting any prenatal care. I'll only go in if I suspect something is very wrong.

I prefer UP and UC. I don't like people messing with me. Just because someone calls themselves doctor or midwife even (not all midwives are this way) they have the tendency to think what they think and want is more important than what we want. I don't like vag. exams or the chance they will do stuff to me or baby that I'm not fine with either during prenatal care or delivery. I have had 2 horrible hospital births. I UP'ed (mostly) with my second and had a crappy OB for prenatal care with my first. Never explained anything to me and acted like I was an idiot who didn't have a clue and she would just do what she wanted with me; which she did pretty much. I didn't know there were options back then though. Although, I remember having a desire to just have my baby at home when I was looking at the emergency childbirth info online. Too bad I didn't know it was an option on purpose!

So, there are my thoughts.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#4 of 22 Old 09-11-2010, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I thought 5 years was a great spacing idea. But now that I look back...it's been interesting. I wouldnt have it any other way...but i do think it's harder with sibling rivalry bc they are so far apart in age. I am kind of nervous to have a 2 1/2 yo and a baby. I couldnt handle having any babies closer than that.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#5 of 22 Old 09-12-2010, 12:17 AM

Oh! Me! Me! I haven't seen a doctor or midwife yet. I didn't see the midwife who delivered dd until I was 13 weeks or so. This time, I'm mainly waiting until I can get a sizable down payment for a midwife. Who knows when that will be though. I'm willing to wait until about 20 weeks this time. But I'd like to have some time getting to know the woman delivering my baby

me(29) and dh(27) -- SAHM to dd (8/7/8) --
Thrilled to be expecting our second baby - 4/6/11
#6 of 22 Old 09-12-2010, 12:53 AM

I haven't seen mine yet. But, I do know who I'm using. Like IdentityCrisisMama I called my midwife to let her know I was pregnant so that my slot didn't get filled, lol. She books up fast. But, she doesn't usually see you for the first time until you are 8-12 weeks. I chose to go around 11 weeks. I can't wait! Like you said, I sort of do this for me because it's such a wonderful experience.

Tiffany, wife to Ian, mom to Kieron (4) and Callum (2). Baby Due Mid April, 2011!
#7 of 22 Old 09-12-2010, 06:05 AM

I haven't seen a MW yet... I just moved from Honolulu to Olympia. I've contaced a few midwives, but I don't have insurance yet. I'm going to have to use medicaid for this baby, but WA is very good about covering homebirth midwives with medicaid. I really don't mind prenatal testing and one u/s... my hubby is pretty mainstream anyway so it gives him some peace of mind I guess.
#8 of 22 Old 09-12-2010, 08:20 PM

I haven't seen my MW yet--I'm 9 weeks. Not sure when I will yet either LOL.

Mama to DD 8 * DS 6 * DS 2
Expecting #4 Late Nov 2011
#9 of 22 Old 09-12-2010, 08:26 PM

I haven't seen my midwife yet--but I am going to on Thursday! (will be almost 11 weeks then) We don't have insurance either and I don't think I qualify for any sort of aid program for insurance. We've paid out of pocket the other 2 times we used this midwife and she's very accommodating and understanding.
#10 of 22 Old 09-12-2010, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamato3wild ponnie View Post
Yes I thought 5 years was a great spacing idea.
I just think it's so interesting that you have so many spaced that way!!

My two will be spaced 9 years...maybe I'll have a third in another 9 years. ;-)

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#11 of 22 Old 09-12-2010, 09:51 PM

I'm 10wks and haven't seen anyone yet.

Mostly just waiting on the medicaid to go through.

Mama to Ella (1/15/08) and Django (03/20/11) - remembering 2 angel.gif
#12 of 22 Old 09-12-2010, 10:49 PM

My MW typically does not see people until 10-12 weeks. I am 9 weeks today and our first appointment is in a couple weeks...I will be 11+3.
#13 of 22 Old 09-12-2010, 11:18 PM

I have my first MW appointment set -up for a week from this Wednesday. I will be 13 weeks. I had thought about doing unassisted prenatal care this time, but decided to go ahead and see the midwife anyway. Personally, I wouldn't want to do UC, and I wouldn't have gotten a price break for not having her do the prenatal care, plus I wanted to be sure I had a spot for her to attend the birth. I would not define the way I would do UP as not doing anything, though. I would probably buy the urine dipsticks, and have my DH take a blood pressure occasionally. I would test my blood sugars if I started feeling odd at all, and if anything of these tests showed something, I would act accordingly (watching my carbs and blood sugars if I got a few high readings, and things like that.) My midwife is pretty hands off, anyway. I did have a "meet and greet," with her last week, because I wanted DH to meet her before we decided to sure to go with her, and she seemed very supportive of the way I want to do things.

I really think that the only reason to get in early on in pregnancy is if you have questions, and I really haven't had any.

Melissa Wife to DHpartners.gif, Mom to DSbouncy.gif (3 y.o.) and DD wave.gif (infant) We are a homebirthing, no circ, select and delay vax, cosleeping, full-term breastfeeding happy family!

#14 of 22 Old 09-13-2010, 12:23 AM

my midwife has been out of town, so i'll see her soon now that she's back. i'd apply for medicaid, just in case. you know, God forbid...

personally, i would never do unassisted, especially after my first. don't want to be the jerk telling scary stories, but my son was great until the last 60 seconds, when he grabbed on the cord on his way out (guess he really didn't want to leave!). was very glad my midwife was there and my sister (high risk l&d nurse, now studying to be a midwife).

my midwife gave an interview on this right after ds was born, hit a nerve with her. liked her response (paraphrased) "i'll stay in the other room if you want. i'd rather be there and not be needed than the other way around"

maybe find a midwife willing to stay in the next room? i think it's all about finding the right one to respect your wishes, anyway.

Liz, wife to John, mom to Dylan and my giant slug zocha :
#15 of 22 Old 09-13-2010, 12:23 AM

I am going to see my midwife the first time this week at about 12 weeks. She was with me for dd and is very hands off for prenatals and birthdays (which is a must for me....I have encountered some MWs that did not seem to practice like MWs). I don't have to do weigh ins, GD test, U/S ect.. and the appointments are enjoyable. I love having a MW at my births in case their is an issue and the after care, but I totally understand why some women feel better with a UC.

Financially, you can ask if you have any services the MW might need. My dh is an electrical contractor and they need some work so we get to trade again for part of the bill. My friend just traded with them for cabinet work.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#16 of 22 Old 09-13-2010, 11:14 AM

I haven't seen anyone yet either. my first appointment is scheduled on the 30th, and I'll be 11w4d then. I'm feeling much more laid back this time, i'm in no rush to be poked and prodded at the OB's. I had wanted to see a HBMW, but it doesn't look like it's going to work out before we move.

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#17 of 22 Old 09-13-2010, 11:52 AM

I only just Friday, at 14 weeks, finally interviewed a midwife. I have an appointment with her this coming Friday, at 15 weeks.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#18 of 22 Old 09-13-2010, 02:14 PM

My first is in a week, at 11 weeks. I didn't really want to go in earlier since there would be less chance of hearing the heartbeat. I AM eager to go in though and know that everything is going well.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#19 of 22 Old 09-13-2010, 02:43 PM

I havent been yet...I am 10 weeks today. I'm in no rush to go this time. I figure this is my 3rd go around...I know what to expext and whats going on. I dont want to go in to the dr and him poke and prod for no reason right now...really, theres NO reason for an internal and I'm not worried about hearing the heartbeat right now...I FEEL pg, and theres nothing they can do if something were to go wrong now. So I dont feel the urge to go...at all really lol. Plus the Dr that I think I'm going to use is a male and EARLY in my last pg with ds I had a really bad experience with a male dr...he basically raped me with the internal sono everytime I went in. Really? DO you need to do that EVERY time I come in in my 1st tri??!?!?!! I still have pent up anger about it. So I'm a little nervous to go to him, but he is the nest choice for me, for what I want. We have restricitive insurance(kind of)...and I cant deliver at the hospital that I want...its out of network if we dont deliver at an HCA facility(my DH works for a hospital.) SUCKS. BAD. I MIGHT check to see how much it would be out of pocket for us to deliver at the hospital that I want to...hmmm, thats a thought!
#20 of 22 Old 09-13-2010, 05:55 PM

Mama to 3- I know the medicaid paperwork is a pain but heaven forbid something happens and you and/or babe end up needing emergency hospital care the last thing you are going to need is a whopping bill! Even if you don't use the medicaid (my homebirth midwife doesn't accept it) it's still there as financial protection.

I probably won't start seeing my mw until about 14 weeks since that is when you can really start to hear the heartbeat.

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#21 of 22 Old 09-13-2010, 09:56 PM

Me either. I just made an appointment for the end of the month... Ill be almost 14 weeks at that time. I don't want to go. Its such a hassel. The place is 25 min away... I have to bring my 11 month old. Its going to mess up his naptime... my pregnancies are so routine. My fav midwife cant practice anymore so I have another one who is nice but I am not super psyched about it.

All natural Mama to Keira 6/1/07, Israel 10/10/ 09, Nairi 04/01/2011, and #4 March 2013

#22 of 22 Old 09-24-2010, 01:10 AM

I just gave birth nine months ago and our midwife was great so it's a no-brainer to use her again. Called and told her, but haven't set up an appointment. I'm totally not impressed with prenatal care so I'll probably do appointments few and far between, I don't get internal exams, U/Ss, or most of the tests. The appointments are at my house where I don't have a scale...usually it's peeing in the cup, measuring fundus, listening with the fetoscope and do I have any concerns. It always seems kind of pointless!

I'm applying for medicaid, which my midwife does accept. It's pretty easy in Florida: fill out a simple form, attach proof of preg, proof of income, and copies of birth cert and drivers license. Now if I could just find my birth certificate...probably still in a pile of paperwork from last time I applied!

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page