waking up hungry at night - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 09-15-2010, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I woke up at 4 this morning with my stomach growling, I couldn't believe it! I don't remember that happening until 2nd or 3rd trimester with ds. I sorta ignored it and eventually went back to sleep. I may have to keep some rice cakes by the bed or something though

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#2 of 17 Old 09-15-2010, 05:48 PM

This happens to me too. I usually eat something and go back to bed. I don't just get a growling stomach, I get "move outta my way and give me food NOW!!!"

heartbeat.gif Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 6, 3, 2) & 3 angel1.gif
#3 of 17 Old 09-15-2010, 05:48 PM

Yup. I have cinnamon rice cakes by my bed and I eat a couple at 5am a few times a week.

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

#4 of 17 Old 09-15-2010, 05:55 PM

i've been getting hungry in the middle of the night since 13DPO! but i have yet to actually eat something... i have a strong adversion to eating (and drinking) in the middle of the night. but on the really bad hunger nights i will get up and force myself to drink some milk at least.

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#5 of 17 Old 09-15-2010, 06:33 PM

When this happens I'll get a small glass of milk and that takes care of it. I have to be careful not to eat too much in the middle of the night since I wake up starving in the am no matter what I eat. I don't want tons of extra calories!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#6 of 17 Old 09-15-2010, 06:38 PM

How can you ladies NOT eat? I get so hungry that it hurts. It's really strange.

heartbeat.gif Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 6, 3, 2) & 3 angel1.gif
#7 of 17 Old 09-15-2010, 07:08 PM

Yep, I have a box of oatmeal raisin granola bars by the bed just for this occurrence.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#8 of 17 Old 09-15-2010, 08:13 PM

Funny, I've had this problem forever--it's not connected to pregnancy for me! I am old hat at late night snacks, because I can't fall back asleep if I'm painfully hungry. So yeah. Granola bars--great but produce crumbs! I'm also a fan of english muffins (but you have to get up and toast them) and cereal. And sometimes I just put a slice of cheese in a piece of bread and nibble at it.

I am known for my massive appetite--I actually feel like I've gotten less hungry since I was pregnant, but maybe it's because I'm eating more frequently? My stomach just seems to shut off more quickly, but then I'm hungry again a couple hours later.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#9 of 17 Old 09-15-2010, 09:49 PM

I've been getting up to drink a glass of juice. Every night i have to have it! It's like a strong urge to drink something sweet. Water doesnt get it.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#10 of 17 Old 09-16-2010, 04:42 AM

I've been starving at night too! I can't sleep when my stomach growls like that, so I get up and have a yogurt. What I hate is brushing my teeth again afterwards, because it wakes me up and I have a hard time falling back asleep again.
#11 of 17 Old 09-16-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreignerforlife View Post
I've been starving at night too! I can't sleep when my stomach growls like that, so I get up and have a yogurt. What I hate is brushing my teeth again afterwards, because it wakes me up and I have a hard time falling back asleep again.
That's why I skip brushing my teeth after midnight snacks...

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#12 of 17 Old 09-16-2010, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren82 View Post
How can you ladies NOT eat? I get so hungry that it hurts. It's really strange.
This is me. I have to eat a bowl of cereal otherwise I won't get back to sleep and my m/s will be a thousand times worse the next day. Luckily, this doesn't happen too frequently!

me, my man, and our boys (1/08 and 3/11)

#13 of 17 Old 09-16-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzywan View Post
This is me. I have to eat a bowl of cereal otherwise I won't get back to sleep and my m/s will be a thousand times worse the next day. Luckily, this doesn't happen too frequently!
I'm all about the cereal! Even before I was pregnant I would wake up hungry and the next morning DH would be like, "You were eating cereal in the middle of the night again, weren't you?"

#14 of 17 Old 09-16-2010, 10:21 AM

When I was halfway through my second trimester I started waking up starving at 3am EVERY DAY, I just had to eat something or I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep .
#15 of 17 Old 09-17-2010, 08:11 AM

I've been waking up starving and nauseous every 3-4 hours since I was 6 weeks! At first I tried waiting it out, and realized it just made it worse. I started eating a bowl of cereal which worked great, but I hated getting up and going downstairs. Now I keep a PBJ sandwich and a cheesestick in my nightstand and eat a bit each time I wake up. I also have a bag of rice cakes- my hubby loves when I crunch on those at 3am! My mornings aren't as terrible when I eat at night, but I still wake up with terrible stomach pains, usually midnight, 3am, and 6am that only go away with a snack. Hopefully this won't last the whole pregnancy- I can't wait to get a full night of sleep again!
#16 of 17 Old 09-17-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanca78 View Post
Funny, I've had this problem forever--it's not connected to pregnancy for me! I am old hat at late night snacks, because I can't fall back asleep if I'm painfully hungry. So yeah. Granola bars--great but produce crumbs! I'm also a fan of english muffins (but you have to get up and toast them) and cereal. And sometimes I just put a slice of cheese in a piece of bread and nibble at it.

I am known for my massive appetite--I actually feel like I've gotten less hungry since I was pregnant, but maybe it's because I'm eating more frequently? My stomach just seems to shut off more quickly, but then I'm hungry again a couple hours later.
Um, hello CLONE! This is SO me! I usually get up in the middle of the night non-pg...I guess I have a fast metabolism. DH is the same way...so at least I dont feel bad when I get up, bc hes usually up with me! LOL I havent done it yet this pg, but its still early lol
#17 of 17 Old 09-17-2010, 10:02 PM

I keep a box of Luna bar minis in the bedroom and pop one every time I get up to pee. (Every couple of hours lately. )

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page