Sept. 21-26 exercise support and motivation thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 09-21-2010, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,
Thought I'd go ahead and start this. This can be a thread where those of us concerned about staying in shape through pregnancy can list our weekly exercise goals, check in on each other, and offer accountability/support.

My goals for this week: swim laps twice and go to the gym for a cardio workout at least once, as well as working in daily walks. I'll check in Sunday evening to let you all know how much of this I managed!

What are your goals?

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#2 of 27 Old 09-21-2010, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My goal is to be able to start walking and get back to yoga. My 24/7 MS and fatigue has been debilitating and I had to give up my exercise routines at about 5 weeks when it came on. I am a huge proponent of exercise and enjoy it. It's very hard to not exercise, physically, mentally and emotionally. But I have hope that the MS will slowly start to let up (even though it lasted 20 weeks with DS).
So, my goal would be to start back up slow and work back to yoga 2-3x per week and walking/elliptical. Maybe even some light weights.
Thanks for starting this. I may attempt a short walk today b/c I am not as awfully nauseaus as usual...could this be a sign the MS is to an end? Ha, wishful thinking
#3 of 27 Old 09-21-2010, 11:30 AM

I'm still so tired!!! I'm lucky to make it through all of my daily routine like taking a shower and making dinner. The thought of exercise makes me want to cry. I admire you all.

heartbeat.gif Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 6, 3, 2) & 3 angel1.gif
#4 of 27 Old 09-21-2010, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren82 View Post
I'm still so tired!!! I'm lucky to make it through all of my daily routine like taking a shower and making dinner. The thought of exercise makes me want to cry. I admire you all.
Yeah, I'm right there with you--it comes and goes. It seems like if I force myself into some sort of activity I don't dwell on the tiredness but the second I stop and sit down to read a book or something, I'm out. Then I'm all fuzzy headed all day.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#5 of 27 Old 09-24-2010, 10:57 AM

I'm still crazy tired and having awful headaches, but I'm going to try to force myself to get moving. My long-term plan is to alternate morning walks with morning swimming, and to work in a prenatal yoga video in a few times a week.

Today I'll commit to 30 minutes walking. I have a lot of housework to do as well, so I'll try to be athletic about it.
#6 of 27 Old 10-10-2010, 06:12 AM

Thank you for starting this tread - I know the dates have passed but I would love to share goals for exercise for the rest of our pregnancy. Do you want to start a new tread or just keep going in this one?

My goals for this week are going for water jogging twice and a walk in the forest once. I don't have any excuse for not practising my yoga programme - I have completely stopped since nausea knocked me over in week 6, but now I am starting to feel a bit better and I would love to get back on track. My yoga programme only takes about 10 minutes to do, so my goal is to do it every second day.

How about you Blanka78?
Any others wanna join?

Happy mama to DD 04 and 08 April 2011
#7 of 27 Old 10-10-2010, 08:54 AM

After a few weeks of slacking due to my energy being completely zapped- this week was a good week for me. I ran (much slower than I used to) 3x. I did 3 miles, 3 1/2, and then 5. I also went to spin class once. This week I want to do the same run 3x and go to spin class. But my long run needs to be 6 miles. I am signed up to do a 1/2 marathon in December. I am trying to continue to train for it- I'm sure I'll have to modify to a run/walk on race day but my goal is to complete it. I also really want to add in a yoga class this week.

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#8 of 27 Old 10-10-2010, 09:04 AM

I'm doing great with my exercise but slacking with my eating. I'm indulging too much. I need to reign it in now that I'm not sick anymore!! I need motivation and accountability here!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#9 of 27 Old 10-10-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayseeliz View Post
I'm doing great with my exercise but slacking with my eating. I'm indulging too much. I need to reign it in now that I'm not sick anymore!! I need motivation and accountability here!
me, too!! WAY TOO MUCH! dessert for every meal. It's like I can't help it!

#10 of 27 Old 10-10-2010, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Guess I really let this thread slide. Thanks for bumping it up, Starcat!

The week of the thread I did well--swam laps, went to gym. I've been tryin to walk or bike at least a little every day, and go to the gym at least once or twice a week. I need to do more, though.

#11 of 27 Old 10-10-2010, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
All right...I'll join -- reluctantly. I hate the idea of "working out" but I need to accept that I don't get enough exercise in my life so I'll have to suck it up.

I've noticed that since being pregnant this time around I've been getting winded doing tasks FAR, FAR less intense than labor and that's making me nervous.

I want to jog. I think I'll do some research on starting to jog. I've read that there are ways get get started to you don't get too discouraged or hurt yourself.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#12 of 27 Old 10-10-2010, 12:33 PM

I think I'm going to do this: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

It's a 3 day/week walk/run program that I think eventually has you running for 30 minutes. I think it may be my "style" and will fit my life.

Thanks for the thread!!

#13 of 27 Old 10-10-2010, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Saw that program recommended this summer, and thought it looked cooL! Never got around to trying it because jogging hurts my breasts right now--I've been sticking to elliptical. But hopefully I can ease back into some jogging soon.

Heading to the gym right now...hope it wakes me up.

#14 of 27 Old 10-10-2010, 01:52 PM

I think it was havsulen who posted 1st today and I jumped in! but I think now that most of us are finding that 2nd trimester energy it will be good to keep motivated here!

Identitycrisismama- Be careful starting running/jogging when pregnant if you haven't before. I know I've been running for a while and I have points where my heartrate goes up really high and I need to stop and walk for a bit. And there are some days that I just can't do it. I'm finding it much more difficult to run now that I'm pregnant. My midwives are okay with me running b/c I have been running for years- as long as I promise to listen to my body and back off if its not feeling good. I've never run pregnant before, though. So it's a different experience.

#15 of 27 Old 10-10-2010, 02:44 PM

Thanks, Starcat -- I'll be careful of that for sure!

#16 of 27 Old 10-10-2010, 03:11 PM

I life weights three times per week and try to get in cardio five times per week. I was doing high intensity interval training but I've switched to comfortable walking, elliptical and recumbent bicycle riding.

I just need to watch my sugar, keep my protein intake high and drink more water! Hard to do! Now that I'm not sick I have no excuse..

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#17 of 27 Old 10-10-2010, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

So....what heartrates do you ladies consider too high? One pregnancy book said based on my age (32), my heartrate shouldn't go over 135 or something--?! That seems so low. I usually go at least into the 140s or 150s. Not sure I understand why this might be bad.

#18 of 27 Old 10-10-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanca78 View Post
So....what heartrates do you ladies consider too high? One pregnancy book said based on my age (32), my heartrate shouldn't go over 135 or something--?! That seems so low. I usually go at least into the 140s or 150s. Not sure I understand why this might be bad.
Your max heart rate would depend on your age. I like this calculator.

max heart rate calculator

because it gives you the zones. ACOG used to say that a pregnant woman's heart rate shouldn't go above 140 but research hasn't supported that so they dropped that in the 1990's. Basically how I understand it is that you shouldn't work at more than 80% of your max heart rate when pregnant. Depending on your conditioning you might get to that with a brisk walk or it might be running. (spinning, tennis, whatever) I get to that max rate running at a slower pace than what I was running. (Used to run 8-9 min miles & now am running 10-12 min miles) but a really conditioned athlete like a pro could probably still train pretty hard when pregnant.

#19 of 27 Old 10-15-2010, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
BUMP!

Just had my 16 week appt and I've gained 21 POUNDS!!!! I only gained 24 total with my first

Now that I'm finally breaking out of the debilitating MS which caused atrocious eating habits, I need to not only clean up the diet, but also get moving. Before pregnancy, I was an on and off exerciser, but not terribly out of shape. I guess I'll start with 30 min. of cardio 5 days of the week and then add in yoga and strength training as I get my bearings.

Anybody else?

me, my man, and our boys (1/08 and 3/11)

#20 of 27 Old 10-15-2010, 03:30 PM

After the nausea calmed down a bit, I started walking again (a couple miles about 2-3x/week)
Last week I finally got back into the yoga studio again I went religiously while pregnant with DD, and I feel like it made a world of difference in my labor and delivery!! I have only been back a handful of times since DD was born, so it is really nice to be going regularly again!

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#21 of 27 Old 10-15-2010, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Had a chiro appt yesterday where she strongly suggested that walking, yoga, and bradley-type exercises would help my tailbone and hips. I'd been avoiding it all out of fear of miscarriage during the first tri, but now that I'm nearly 15 weeks, I need to get back to it. I put some yoga dvds on hold at the library and will start doing my T-Tapp walking dvd again.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#22 of 27 Old 10-15-2010, 03:57 PM

oh man. I'm a slacker. I started a new job this week and worked Monday, tuesday, wed and it was SOOO busy (12 hours shifts) that it just wiped me out. I ran on Sunday but the week has been a complete bust. UGH! I have a headache today and don't think I'll make it out for any significant exercise. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

#23 of 27 Old 10-15-2010, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

I've been majorly slacking, too. I normally walk and bike a bit just as part of daily life, but haven't made it to the gym in almost a week, and when I was there, it was just for 20 min on the elliptical.

I have been trying to remember to do my kegels, though--does that count?

#24 of 27 Old 10-16-2010, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Just went to the gym and had an AMAZING workout--I was totally in sync with the music and enjoying myself rather than feeling lazy and bored. Only 25 minutes, but still, it felt great.

I really want to get into swimming more--it's so relaxing.

#25 of 27 Old 10-20-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanca78 View Post
Just went to the gym and had an AMAZING workout--I was totally in sync with the music and enjoying myself
Sounds great!

Water jogging monday, yoga yesterday and one more water jogging session coming up this week. Just can't understand why I have not chosen to do more yoga/qi gong at home. I think it is because in the morning I feel the best - and then I feel that I should get work and house work done. I think I should make an appointment with myself for working out while my energy is on top and not wait until the evening when I am tired and (even more!) forgetful.
How about an alarm on my mobile phone for after breakfast/school drop of every morning? Other suggestions for making the decision to work out at home on a consistent basis?

#26 of 27 Old 10-20-2010, 10:36 AM

If I'm going to work out at home I just get it done as early as possible in the morning so I'm not distracted by other things! If I wait there is always something else to do!

Any suggestions for good cardio and weight workouts at home while pg? I was doing Chalean Extreme from Beachbody before I got pg and lots of interval training/kickboxing but that all feels so uncomfortable now. I've been working out at the gym since July but I know I'll need to switch it up next month when cold and flu season hits. I don't want the kids in the child care then!

I've been doing well the last few weeks. I'm still tired but I can tell a huge difference in the second tri. I'm not dragging myself through me workouts. I try to get in three lifting sessions a week and 3-4 cardio sessions. I've been alternating between the treadmill and elliptical now that my belly is a tad too big for the recumbent bike.

A guy asked me if it was much different lifting weights while pg when I was working last week. I said MUCH different. I'm still lifting as heavy as I'm comfortable with but I'm down about 20 lbs from where I was lifting in July. I can tell I've lost muscle but I know it will come back.

#27 of 27 Old 10-28-2010, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayseeliz View Post
If I'm going to work out at home I just get it done as early as possible in the morning so I'm not distracted by other things! If I wait there is always something else to do!
Yes! It worked out so well for me this week to put on exercise clothes as soon as I woke up, I had a great session on my indoor bike after breakfast one day.
Plus - I've done yoga and a session of high impact water jogging. I felt so great during it, like I was really working out - increasing my pulse and really using my body. Then I had a normal evening of cooking dinner, taking my 6 year old to her ballett class and getting everyone to bed. And then - ouch - my pelvis really hurt! I had clearly done too much!
I need to find a balance and not overdo it, even though working out feels so good for me now in the second tri.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page