Not sleeping well.. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 09-23-2010, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any tips??

I feel like I toss and turn all night and get up constantly to go to the bathroom. I'm so exhausted. My booklet from my dr's office says it's fine to take Tylenol PM but I really would rather not. But I'm flat out exhausted. It's been this way for weeks. Is there anything else I can do?

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#2 of 18 Old 09-23-2010, 10:30 AM

No advice, really. I've been sleeping pretty well EXCEPT for the waking up 2-3 times a night having to pee desperately.

Benadryl is the same as the active ingredient in Tylenol PM, minus the Tylenol, and I've taken it a few times. That's the only thing I can think of, but it sounds like you're not comfortable with that.

Sorry you're going through this--I HATE the never-feeling-rested thing. I haven't had it w/this pregnancy (I think pregnancy has helped my insomnia!) but many times beforehand.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#3 of 18 Old 09-23-2010, 10:43 AM

I must have gotten up 4 times last night to pee. It sucks!! Other than that I've been sleeping pretty well, too. But I feel your pain- I had a little bit of insomnia early on. Now it seems like I sleep too much. If I were you I would take the benedryl. I can do childrens benedryl and take a child size dose and it knocks me out.
Or maybe you could research or ask your midwife about herbs (like a tincture or a tea) that would help you sleep.
or there's always the option to have a glass of wine- if you are okay with it and wine makes you sleepy...it might help. but thats kind of a personal choice.

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#4 of 18 Old 09-23-2010, 11:52 AM

If you're tired just from getting up to pee many times, that should get better in the 2nd trimester.

I'm having problems sleeping because of anxiety and worrying. Last night I didn't fall asleep until almost 3 am. If I'm nervous enough, Benadryl won't knock me out. Not even the highest dose of Ambien will knock me out (while not pregnant of course).

Believe it or not, what does help 90% of the time are the sleep hypnosis CDs. There are many of them to choose from. I tried a few before I found one that I thought worked really good.

You're definitely not alone though. Even if I get 8-10 hours of sleep, I am still dragging ass all day long and exhausted by late afternoon.

heartbeat.gif Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 6, 3, 2) & 3 angel1.gif
#5 of 18 Old 09-24-2010, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

I broke down and took one Tylenol PM last night. I still had to get up a lot to go to the bathroom but I felt like the sleep I DID get was deeper sleep. I'm going to stop drinking anything after 8-9pm and maybe that will help too?? I don't always remember my water when I'm going during the day so I've been drinking it at night. Not a good idea, huh?

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#6 of 18 Old 09-24-2010, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
I can't confirm that this will work but I've read that magnesium can help with sleeping. I also know there's a product called something like mag-CALM that is supposed to help with sleeping (I'm not sure if this is different than just a magnesium pill). The added bonus for magnesium (w/ calcium) is that it helps with constipation if you have that lovely little symptom. If you don't have that problem you could always just get cal/mag and get your extra calcium too.

Good luck!!

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#7 of 18 Old 09-24-2010, 12:14 PM

No advice. Just sympathy. I get up about every 1 1/2 or 2 hours to pee. I'm thinking of trying benadryl but I take my vitamins and prometrium at night so I don't know if I want to take something else too.

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

#8 of 18 Old 09-24-2010, 08:55 PM

I just got a pregnancy pillow last night, and had the best sleep in a month. I haven't been able to sleep on my stomach because my chest is so sore, and this pillow was so perfect for getting comfortable. I still woke up every few hours to pee, but fell back to sleep so fast!
#9 of 18 Old 09-24-2010, 09:56 PM

Oh mama I feel ya! I'm sleeping crappy! We are co-sleeping with our almost 2 year old son...and he rolls and rolls ALL night...I can't sleep when he's doing that. He wont sleep in his own bed...which I'm wondering if it's matress. So we are getting him a real mattress and changing his bed into a real twin bed and putting the rails up so he doesnt roll off. I am PRAYING that he will sleep in there...bc I can't take it anymore!!!! I did get REALLY bad insomnia with DS...I would go DAYS w/out sleep. I did that a few days before I went into labor...yeah that wasnt fun, and then after I had him I had so much adrenaline and 'I'm the only one that needs to take care of him' syndrome that I didnt sleep for another 3 days. OMG. I'm not doing THAT again! LOL I will be getting SOMETHING to help me sleep this time....now to get something to make my son go to bed earlier than 1pm and STAY asleep!

Let us know if you find anything that works naturally...I'd love to try it out! GL!
#10 of 18 Old 09-25-2010, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

So which pregnancy pillow is best? We have a king bed so I have plenty of space. I need something comfy!

#11 of 18 Old 10-21-2010, 03:01 PM

Preg pillow that I loved: Snoogle. It's almost time to buy another one (can't find mine)

Ask your midwife about Skullcap.

Also, I liked Traditional Medicinals "Nighty Night" tea. It was approved by my midwife for me as well.

Finally, Claritin or Benadryl can help (Benadryl is what's in Tylenol PM). I take them for allergies and the deeper sleep helps too! It's very safe.

Oh, and also try making sure you're super hydrated before bed. I find that concentrated/acidic urine makes the urge to pee stronger. I sometimes get up to pee a little less if I have more water before bed.

Yes, I will eventually HAVE to pee, but I would anyways.
#12 of 18 Old 10-21-2010, 03:23 PM

Not sleeping at night is driving me nuts. I've been having trouble getting comfortable, having terrible dry mouth, peeing every couple hours, and I get crazy hungry around 4 am. After I woke up crying the other morning I called my midwife and she said to try Melatonin. I got the 3 mg time released variety at my health food store (they have it at walmart too) and it definitely helped. It doesn't keep me from waking up to drink, pee, eat... but it does make it easier to sleep through the tossing and turning and I can fall asleep easier when I go to bed and if I wake up. I feel better rested for sure.

You can take up to 5 mg, so I'm going back to get the 1 mg pills so I can take a little more and see if it helps.

My midwife also recommended Magnesium, but I'd taken melatonin before so I went with that. I also read the supplement 5-HTP is a good sleep aid too.

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#13 of 18 Old 10-21-2010, 04:15 PM

The peeing's letting up (I JUST slept through the night for the first time in three months), but I hear you on the dry mouth and the crazy hunger. So annoying. Luckily I don't have to get up early for anything and my schedule's really easy, but I worry about down the line when I'll have more time commitments AND be more pregnant.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#14 of 18 Old 10-21-2010, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Does the snoogle support your back and belly?? I have to have major back support and I like some belly support too so I don't feel like I'm going to roll over onto my belly.

My sleeplessness had gotten better in the second tri but I still wake up exhausted!

#15 of 18 Old 10-21-2010, 09:14 PM

Just a note: I was initially told by my psychiatrist to take melatonin, but after we did some research he agreed that it did not sound like the best idea. They are not sure what effect it has and it's hormone related so I'm not going to mess with it. But then, I have sleep issues so I REALLY don't want to cause different issues for my baby.

re: Snoogle:

It's C shaped, so you can put part under your head and part between your legs and have the middle part to support your tummy and/or snuggle against.

Also, I could twist mine into an S shape but I can't remember how I used that shape...

Anyways, it was super comfy.

I'm about to try Skullcap tincture tonight. Will report back
#16 of 18 Old 10-22-2010, 10:09 AM

Are you into Hypnobabies at all? If so, they have several scripts that focus on sleep, and one is made especially for pregnant women. I am using it now, and it works well for me. I did use their program for preparing for birth for my last birth, so I was allready familiar with the concept of selv hypnosis before I bought this script for this pregnancy (after I grew tired of tossing and turning after being awakened by my toddler or to go to the bathroom). But if you've never tried self hypnosis, it really is not as mystical as it sounds - for me it is all about deep relaxation.

http://www.hypnobabies.com/mylink.php?id=4058

I hope you all get better sleep soon!

Happy mama to DD 04 and 08 April 2011
#17 of 18 Old 10-23-2010, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am so feeling you on this! For me, I'm getting sleepier a bit later, and (the hard part) I've been waking up 1-2 hours before my alarm goes off and sleeping fitfully in 10-15 minute increments. I keep thinking that my alarm is broken or that I've overslept or that I've forgotten to set it or whatever. I always have that problem the night before something big, like a job interview or the first day of school, but now it's almost every night. The Benadryl doesn't help because it's worn off by the time this all happens. It's the craziest thing. And I can't nap even on days when I'd have the time to, I just can't sleep.

I have had a body pillow for a while, which is becoming more and more of a lifesaver. It keeps my hips aligned, which is reducing the sciatica, and it holds my belly up so it doesn't drag, which helps the lower back pain some.

Here's hoping that the second trimester brings some sleep with it.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#18 of 18 Old 10-23-2010, 12:20 AM

You should probably check with your midwife/OB about skullcap, but I have to say I slept like a ROCK last night.

Woke up to pee and went right back into a deep sleep once I hit the pillow again. Lots of vivid dreams.

Going to try it again tonight.

Curious as to whether it makes me sleepy, or just makes sleep possible since it's very anti-anxiety oriented. Felt so peaceful...

I did one dose of tincture in some warm water with a drizzle of honey.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page