Listening to my body - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-25-2010, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First pregnancy: early ultrasound, doppler every doctors visit, 2 more ultrasounds later on, hospital birth

Second pregnancy: doppler every midwife visit, 2 short ultrasounds late in pregnancy, home birth - regained faith in my body!

Now, third pregnancy and the only test I've had is a pregnancy test at home. We've decided to skip doppler altogether and only do one short ultrasound at week 18.
I am 10 weeks 4 days today, and I think it is wonderful to get to know my body even better. Listening for signs. Even appreciating nausea and fatigue, because it tells me something is happening in my body. Waiting eagerly for the first signs of movement - wow, I think I will appreciate it even more now when it happens, because it will be my baby's sign to me - not a doctor telling me that everything is ok, and so phewww - I can relax. But me listening to my body.

This pregnancy has allready given me the gift of trusting my body more. Any with similar ecperiences? Thanks for sharing!

Happy mama to DD 04 and 08 April 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 09-25-2010, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
I'm almost 12 weeks and haven't been to the MW yet. I was really looking forward to it in the early weeks and felt like 12 weeks was so far away. Now that I'm here, I'm not as excited to go as I thought I would be. I think it does have a little to do with this feeling of "turning" my care over to someone else.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#3 of 8 Old 09-25-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post
I'm almost 12 weeks and haven't been to the MW yet. I was really looking forward to it in the early weeks and felt like 12 weeks was so far away. Now that I'm here, I'm not as excited to go as I thought I would be. I think it does have a little to do with this feeling of "turning" my care over to someone else.
#4 of 8 Old 09-26-2010, 11:47 AM

Seeing a care provider doesn't mean you're turning your care over to someone else. You're maybe gaining a partner in care, but you are your primary caregiver. You choose who else will be involved in this pregnancy. You decide when you want second opinions. You decide if and when you wish to change partners. No matter what illusions of omnipotence your HCP may be operating under, don't YOU ever forget who wears the pants in this partnership. YOU. They work FOR you.
#5 of 8 Old 09-26-2010, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Yea, I get that CC but it's still a feeling that I have. There is something to "going at it alone" that really puts 100% or the intuition into the mother's hands. Once you involve someone else, that changes....at least IME.

I guess I kind of understand the whole UP thing a bit better right now. Though UP is not really my thing. I tend towards feeling like childbirth is the way that it is in order to gather supportive women around the new mother. That said, this time with just me and the growing baby is special...something I didn't have with DC because I started with a MW a little earlier and I guess I didn't know as much either.

Maybe also my loss at 11 weeks back in March, where I just did it by myself has strengthened this idea that there is something to being alone. I believe that there is an element to having *any* care provider that changes the dynamic.

Had the MW been there I may have looked to her to check my uterus to see if it had gone back. Instead, I just had to *feel* inside myself, my deep physical intuition and I knew it was over.

Though it is true that intuition doesn't fly out the window with a care provider...but for many it is altered.

Early on in my life, before having a child, I took a class in child development. It was in Santa Cruz and I guess a bit alternative. We were taught that any intervention has the potential to alter pregnancy and possibly lead to more interventions. The teacher was careful to included having a care provider in the list of interventions. I guess that idea has never really left me.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#6 of 8 Old 09-27-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

My first appointment is this week, and I am sorta dreading it. I feel much more relaxed, sanguine, with this pregnancy so far. Going to the OB kills that feeling for me. They make me so anxious. I get so nervous before going to the doctor I end up making myself sick to my stomach.

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#7 of 8 Old 09-27-2010, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfyCozy View Post
Seeing a care provider doesn't mean you're turning your care over to someone else. You're maybe gaining a partner in care, but you are your primary caregiver. You choose who else will be involved in this pregnancy. You decide when you want second opinions. You decide if and when you wish to change partners. No matter what illusions of omnipotence your HCP may be operating under, don't YOU ever forget who wears the pants in this partnership. YOU. They work FOR you.
DDCC:

I see an OBGYN and am so far doing most of their 'normal' tests (no genetic screenings though) but up until tomorrow I'll have only seen him once a month. I don't need him to tell me my body is working amazingly, I don't need the doppler to tell me the baby is doing fine, and I've only gotten one piece of previously unknown information from my ultrasounds (that he is, in fact, a boy). The trust I have in my body came when we were TTC and I beamed over my odd looking but still beautiful BBT charts.
Heck, you should see my blood pressure! 95/65! I don't even have white coat syndrome. Sure I'd rather have a midwife but there's something liberating about 5 minute appointments because I'm not spending too much of my time confirming what I already know.
Plus peeing in a cup is starting to become a little sport.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#8 of 8 Old 09-28-2010, 05:14 PM

I think that trusting your body is wonderful! It is so easy to loose this in the infertility circle that makes you mistrust your "broken" body. I think if you are happy with listening to your body (as our ancestors would have) then good for you!

Liora - wife to Pete, IVF miracle DD babygirl.gif (2.11.09) 11 year Infertility survivor! FET miracle TWIN boys babyboy.gifbabyboy.gifborn 2/28 at 32 weeks and growing strong in the NICU.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page